• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Graphic or Gameplay? (The 2022 Version)

Graphics or Gameplay?

• Graphics

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Gameplay

Votes: 33 91.7%

• Total voters
I prefer gameplay over graphics since I'd rather play a game, I'll enjoy playing than playing a game with good graphics and gameplay I won't like much or at all.

I’d rather play an ugly game with solid gameplay than an unenjoyable game with gorgeous graphics. I also think a game’s artstyle is more important than raw graphical fidelity. Games like Okami tend to hold up better than other titles from their time. That being said, good graphics can help with immersion. This will sound silly in 15 years, but Horizon Zero Dawn’s hyper realistic visuals really helped me get lost in the world.

Gameplay is my priority, with graphics being a nice bonus when done right. I'm more concerned with games running at a smooth framerate than the pretty visuals they show for. If the game struggles to run or doesn't detect button inputs properly, it ruins the fun experience especially when it requires doing stuff quickly at a moment's notice.

Somewhat related to the topic, I don't quite understand how people get their pants in a twist when graphics from the previous generation look 'bad' compared to the current generation (e.g. PS4 to the PS5). Sure, the previous generation is technically inferior, but that doesn't mean it can't put out great visuals as well, especially when game developers find a way to present it beautifully within the limitations. I heard raytracing is a thing now, but even then its use is limited as it can be intensive despite the power of technology we have today. We're no longer in an era where the graphics take a huge jump from one generation to another, and I don't see how it can improve further when some games are reaching almost photorealistic details.

I consider the two most important components in games to be gameplay and story, so gameplay will always be more important than graphics to me. Simply put, I'd rather play an ugly game that had fun gameplay, than a beautiful game with awful gameplay that didn't make the game fun at all.

gameplay's extremely important to the longevity and legacy of a series : people still play doom, half-life, super mario 64, and almost every other game considered 'retro' because they had fantastic controls, depth, and love put that triumph over their dated looks — and even then, they still look and feel amazing even back then! i think it's why i lean more towards retro titles overall.

Back