• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Graphic or Gameplay? (The 2022 Version)

Graphics or Gameplay?

• Graphics

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Gameplay

Votes: 33 91.7%

• Total voters

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
There was this exact topic on this board over ten years ago, but I wanted to recreate it now that we are in 2022. I want to see if the opinions have changed since we are in a new decade. Do you prefer gameplay or graphics?

Note: I’m going to be rambling about sports games, so if you aren’t into that, feel free to skip past everything beyond the second sentence.

I’m not going to lie: graphics are important for me, but gameplay is slightly more important. I’d say it’s 60/40% for me. For example: I’ve played older sports games such as NCAA Football 14 (the holy grail) because I prefer college to professional football. I think it aged well over the years. I also wouldn’t mind playing older sports games, so long as there are updated rosters for accuracy reasons.

I want to hear your opinions, though. Graphics or gameplay? Which is truly better and more important?

I mean I generally go for gameplay, but I will say that if the graphics are terrible enough it can really take away from the immersion of the game and ruin the experience.

I still play N64 games regularly and that's about as bad graphics-wise as you can get with AAA titles. as long as the gameplay is interesting and the controls aren't a mess then I'm perfectly fine with playing a game that has not-so-great graphics.

depends, honestly. i mean, the fact that i won't go back and play older pokemon games (and couldn't play WW for long) because of the graphics says enough on its own. that being said, i have replayed games like NL (not bad graphics, they just look it because of NH) and some gamecube games like yoshi's island, although i did lose interest in that pretty quickly, and i don't know whether graphics or gameplay is to blame. so, i want to say probably graphics? but what constitutes as good and bad graphics can vary between people. a lot of people consider swsh and even arceus's graphics bad, but i thought both games were pretty enough if not a little empty and made up for it story-wise.

Personally I don't usually care what a game looks like because I get immersed really easily so it doesn't affect me if a game is fun to play. It's also harder (for me at least) to tell the difference between "good" or "bad" graphics if the game is in any way stylized as I'll usually chalk it up to a part of the art style. But if a game is boring then it could be the single best looking game that ever was or ever will be and I'll still not care🤷‍♀️ I can't remember where I heard this but a good game can survive bad graphics but a bad game isn't saved by good graphics. Although I do think a game can be taken down a bit in "fun value" if it's just really horrendous looking but even then it's also affected by personal style preferences.

Ahh it depends; gameplay is probably more important to me overall, but I find myself not even being drawn to/picking up games that have a graphical style I don't like. Some of my favorite games of all time don't necessarily have the best graphics, and games with great graphics aren't always fun, but I think what initially gets me to even play a game is if I like how it looks aesthetically. It's basically like judging a book by it's cover, which I should probably stop doing.

Gameplay, but nice graphics help. Visuals are often the first impression of a game. There are plenty of games I really like that "don't have good graphics". Graphics is alot like art though. What one person likes or is ok with someone else may not.

Considering the fact that I grew up with 8-bit graphics, I am almost 100% about the gameplay. I can certainly appreciate good graphics, but it does not make or break the game for me. All I care about is whether the game is fun to play or not.

And as others have stated, good graphics are subjective. I've played some absolutely gorgeous games that unfortunately had a bit too much going on in the background, making it harder for me to focus on the fight going on in the foreground. I didn't dislike those games, but since I found them more difficult to play, I never went back to them after beating them once. They lost their replay value for me because, even though the graphics were good, they were too busy in my opinion.

Definitely gameplay. I recently played an old Tomb Raider and it just felt like another game to me. But to be fair I also played those games as a kid so I'm used to those graphics.

But to be fair I do avoid games that look like ****. Like bland visuals are one thing, but some just have art designs that clash and it really bothers me.

If a game has poor graphics but good gameplay I'll still play it, which is basically me saying gameplay is far more important.

Sometimes graphics can be a deal breaker though. Older 3D games can be nothing but frustrating when it tells you to get a thing and you can't find it because the graphics are so poor you don't see it. Games that rely on heavy storytelling can be ruined by poor animation destroying the immersion. I can simply not like an artstyle, so I'm not going to want to sit there for 20 hours looking at it.

I also expect a baseline standard for graphics too, disregarding a game with an obvious purposeful graphical style. I'll sit and play Banjo-Kazooie happily despite how poorly the visuals have aged, but if a game were to release this year looking like that...Yea, I wouldn't look twice at it. "The first bite is with the eyes" as food critics will often say, which applies perfectly to this as if a game looks poor, I'm not going to spend £60 to see if it plays just as badly.

I cannot imagine why someone would prefer graphics over gameplay. Me personally, I really don't care about how the game looks, as long as it's fun. It's sort of similar to how I feel about cartoons from back then and cartoons from now, for example the older Animaniacs doesn't look as good as the reboot (obviously) but the jokes are funnier.

honestly, they’re equally important to me. the gameplay is what’ll keep me hooked on a game, but no matter how good it may be, i’ll have a hard time enjoying it 100% if the graphics are bad enough (in my opinion).

I believe that I said this in the last thread as well, but allow me to reiterate. I think it is important in this discussion to define your terms, because the word "graphics" has a wide array of applications, including-
  • The aesthetic personality of the game. Animal Crossing is a cute, colorful game, whereas Resident Evil is a dark, horror game, which naturally is going to dictate how the graphics are presented as well as provide context for the tasks you're doing.
  • The graphical fidelity of the game, or how advanced the graphics appear by modern standards.
  • The actual in-game art assets, which obviously is going to serve as a functional prop for the first two.
I'm of the opinion that graphics and gameplay are not entirely separate entities. They are largely interwoven. In an ideal scenario I do believe that "gameplay" should come first, but that doing so entails a certain amount of graphical prowess in its own right. NES games may be dated by today's standards, but the ones that are largely remembered today still hold true to certain graphical perimeters that keep them from being a complete eyesore. In addition, graphics can impact gameplay by either enhancing or obscuring important details. If players don't understand what an object is and how it functions because the graphics don't convey it very well, that will inevitably lead to missing out on important advantages or a multitude of unfair deaths.

In addition, details such as animation also play a role in how in-game movement is perceived, which will largely dictate how the game is played and how it feels to play. For example, it is often argued that Balan Wonderworld's sluggish movement speed is largely attributed to the fact that the animation used for running is considerably faster than the speed of the character. Neither of which are really bad, but the disconnect creates a feeling of sluggishness. Another example would be the SNES game, Plok compared to... well, any platformer game. When you defeat an enemy in Plok, they simply disappear, which makes the game feel broken, like something unintentional happened. When you defeat an enemy in Mario, they have a specific death animation that offers a sense of feedback to reward you for your efforts.

Also consider that visuals are not the sole representation of a game's experience. The audio department is equally important and in some cases more so. FPS games are the most easy to explain due to their simplicity, but this isn't exclusive to them. If you take the sounds of realistic gunfire away and replace them with clown horns honking, that is going to have a noticeable, tangible impact on the quality of the game, even if everything else remains the same. One need only look at the various YouTube videos showcasing the workarounds some games have had to perform in order to appease the draconian standards of German media legislation to see how even the tiny details can change how a game feels to play.

In my opinion, aesthetic personality and in-game assets are very important to a game's overall feel and largely dictate how the game actually plays. The area of graphics I think is of slightly less importance would be graphical fidelity. It doesn't matter to me if the game is a little dated looking. I mean, I'm something of a Nintendo loyalist, and Nintendo has always been the worst choice if you cared to have an engaging, cinematic experience. The framerates for most third-party Nintendo games are always notably lower than their PlayStation, Xbox, and especially PC counterparts, and the textures are usually--sometimes subtly, sometimes dramatically--downscaled or changed altogether in order to fit whatever ridiculously low standards Nintendo usually has for them.

That being said, if there is a problem with graphical fidelity, the game should still be programmed with those limitations in mind. The worst-looking games and by no coincidence the worst games to play are often those that seem to be aware that they can't fit certain elements within the limitations of the hardware, so they'll try to jam them in anyway, resulting in some rather abysmal-looking games. And of course, where older games are concerned, if anyone has ever attempted to play an older game on a modern TV or computer and watched as the game is morphed into a barely legible mess, then the importance of updating the graphics to fit modern resolutions can not be understated.

So the answer, I suppose, is that gameplay is more important. I would rather a game be a little ugly but still offer a fun and engaging experience than be a beautiful, cutting edge, state-of-the-art exercise is misery. But graphics are not merely something that is added on top of gameplay; they intrinsically inform one another in a number of different ways. So to categorize them as something entirely divorced from gameplay or as something of only secondary or tertiary importance is, in my opinion, a slightly uninformed view of how games are developed as well as how they are played and experienced.

Gameplay, 100%. Graphics are not a big deal to me, why pick a game with amazing graphics when the gameplay is horrible. Even if the graphics are as low as they can get, but the gameplay is top-notch and a theme that I've never seen before, of course I'm getting it.

Gameplay is obviously more important to me but graphics are very important and honestly would make or break a game for me. It's a visual media so I want to look at something pleasing.

graphics are important, but im not going to play a terrible game just for the graphics so i chose gameplay

For me graphics are considerably less important than gameplay. I’d say like 30:70 graphics to gameplay.

I don’t like new games that have like, cheap repeating textures but that’s about my only gripe.

For me it depends. I will tryout almost any game at least once if the story or plot interests me. If the gameplay is too difficult then I lose interest in playing cause it frustrates me. The graphics of a game has to be really bad for me to give up on it.

To me a game clearly is about the gameplay and not the graphics. Awful graphics can affect the gameplay in a negative way though, and good graphics can affect it in a positive way. In early games (especially the first 3D games) the game wasn‘t necessarily enjoyable when it comes to graphics, but the gameplay was totally making up for it. Some more recent games look amazing graphically, but the gameplay is horrible so I wouldn’t play them.

Duh, it's going to be the gameplay that will always stand the test of time. Graphics have no bearing on how a good game is or how well it plays, and a good art style is what complements a game's graphics. Games that still hold up visually, still look good because of how they're aesthetically presented. Sure, graphics do factor in, but what really matters is what developers are able to accomplish with limitations.

Back