• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gaming Pet Peeves

On the subject of tutorials, Pokémon is perhaps the most veteran-unfriendly franchise that I know of. I've abstained restarting games that I might otherwise enjoy replaying simply because I don't want to have to go through the long and tedious beginning moments of the game.
I really hope by Gen 10 they will ask the player "Is this your first time being a Pokemon Trainer?" and you should give the options to say "Yes or No" and the tutorial about catching and weaking Pokemon will not be forced on you.

It's super silly but tutorials are my gaming pet peeve 😅 I don't like doing them and then i get annoyed that I don't know how to play the game, lol!!

Another pet peeve I think I have these days are skins that you buy with currency that can only be bought with real money. Skins are super enticing to me but they're just cosmetic. And so many games seem to have them now.

Game companies that have underdelivery as one of their core values, iykyk 👀

The worst offender for this in recent memory is Monster Hunter World: unskippable cinematics. I like to make new characters and replay the game using different weapons, so I really feel this design choice and I have no idea why it’s even a thing.

Also something I seem to be alone on but a huuuuge pet peeve of mine is not having the option to turn off autosave.

Unskippable cutscenes - Normally I wouldn't, I'm usually playing games for the story, but you know those times where you get to the pre-boss cutscene, and then you die and have to watch the cutscene again?? Misery.

Save spots- These should have never existed in the first place but especially not in modern games. I get it's probably for the '✨challenge✨' but sometimes we don't have the time to play through like half an hour straight where we can get from save point a to save point b in one sitting. u_u

Competitive gaming- Unpopular opinion probably but I play games to have fun, and people getting too into it on that level isn't fun....

I! HATE! CRAFTING!!!!! i don't want to memorize the recipes, i don't want to farm the ingredients, and i definitely do not want to take up my storage space with ingredients i may or may not use... crafting just feels like a menial chore to me and i have a hard time enjoying games that rely heavily on it because it just makes me feel like i'm wasting time :(

minecraft has been an exception to this, probably partially cuz i played it as a kid (i am finding myself less open to games with features i dislike as i get older). i actually stopped playing minecraft for a different reason... i can't think of anything to build!

When wall-jumping doesn't 'feel right' or if the mechanics are off.

OH YEAH, I know what you're talking about. Especially those times when you jump up and you're kind of at the top of the wall, but not quite? It's just like, uhhhh, wtf is going on here? LMAO

OH YEAH, I know what you're talking about. Especially those times when you jump up and you're kind of at the top of the wall, but not quite? It's just like, uhhhh, wtf is going on here? LMAO
EXACTLY! And some games make it so that you have to be pushing towards the wall while you hit jump while other games make it so you have to push away from the wall when you hit jump.

In my experience, Mario and Metroid games have the best feeling wall interactions.

Input lag, inputs not being detected on controller, touchscreen, and keyboard, and ghost touching on touchscreen devices.

Also almost being there in a certain stage and then you fail because of one tiny mistake.

Insane rubber banding in racing games. Some AI like the racers in Gran Turismo aren’t all that bad, but arcade kart racers with powerup mechanics are the biggest offenders. Hitting someone with a power-up, for example, can make you think that it’ll put them behind everyone else, only to immediately catch back up within seconds. Don’t get me wrong - rubber banding provides competition and can become almost unnoticeable if programmed correctly, but sometimes it can be a bit too noticeable.

Cartoon Network Racing on the PS2 is a good example. Every racer rubber bands like crazy, and it can be hard to gain a significant lead most of the time. I even noticed it when playing it as a kid, which is something I shouldn’t be understanding so early, but oh well. The game’s alright anyway.

On the subject of tutorials, Pokémon is perhaps the most veteran-unfriendly franchise that I know of. I've abstained restarting games that I might otherwise enjoy replaying simply because I don't want to have to go through the long and tedious beginning moments of the game.

This keeps getting worse. The older games in the franchise mostly just had a catching tutorial or a chat with the professor before sending you off.

I don’t like when games give you choices but the choices don’t impact the story; and the choices are really the same thing, just worded differently.

I don’t like not having a way to change difficulty level. I like games that have multiple difficulty levels to pick.

My biggest pet peeve in WoW was that there were some non combatant cats that players could go kill. 💔 It made me so upset; it upset me when people killed Mr. Bigglesworth too 💔. I know it’s a game but… that’s not a side of people I like seeing.

Dragon Age:

I read that the series was originally planned to be multiplayer, but either way, I felt adding it to Inquisition was stupid. I think single player could have been better had they decided not to add the mode to it.

FFXV: day one player: all the plot holes and stuff that was later patched and added way after I finished the game. To this day, I’m still pissed about this and hesitate to buy the dlc if i were to play it again on the ps4. if they brought it to the switch (without having it crash like civilization does) with the dlc included, maybe I’d get it then.

I don’t like too big of an open world. I have Assassin’s Creed Origins but didn’t get far because it was just too overwhelming.

Back