• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

In defence of Tom Nook: the only good landlord

boring

pink is the warmest colour
Bells
Switch
0391-6643-8131
Yellow Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
Red Hyacinth
White Lily
Red Lily
White Tulip
Red Tulip
This is a rewrite of a post I made about the same topic 2 years ago. Broadly the point is the same, I think it's just worded a lot better now and this time I tried to cite everything. There was no real need for me to find citations for all my points, but it made me feel better since I just am really passionate about Animal Crossing. If you would prefer to read this on my blog then my blog is linked in my sig, but if you're dyslexic like me then it's probably easier to read this version of the post. I am eager to hear others opinions on this, but please keep in mind if you don't understand why I wrote this it's just because I really like AC.

Tom Nook is the business-man turned bellionare landlord who is subject to the brunt of hate from a select group in the Animal Crossing community - with a plethora of articles and videos dismissing Nook available allover the internet - but a lot of the hate seems to come from misjudgement of his character rather than genuine negative qualities. These concerns often stem from his character in Gamecube, who was known for non-optional house upgades with ever increasing loans, leaving the player in a seemly bottomless pit of debt, however the case for Tom Nook being more of a victim of angry players than an actually bad man is strong when considering the information Nintendo has slowly shared with us over the past 21 years. Therefore I present today: In defence of Tom Nook: The only good landlord.

It is made abundantly clear that in Animal Crossing houses are just as expensive and as big of a commitment as in the real world, and yet despite this Tom Nook is willing to give the player an entire house - free of charge if the player is never interested in paying off the loan given to them. There is no interest on the payments and profit margins don't appear to concern Nook. While it's true that in older games there was the expectation for chores to be completed for him, planting flowers and delivering carpets for a 20K bell house is still a fantastic opportunity for the player and these tasks can be easily completed in around 20 minutes.

If the player is not satisfied with their house - since it is a fact that if you do choose to never pay your loans your house will remain a measley 4x4 room - then New Horizons might be the perfect solution because Tom Nook provides the player an entire island, leaving it up to the player to decide how the island will look, feel and operate. The island belongs to Tom Nook (Specifically Nook Inc.) and so, reasonably, if he wanted to take full control and manage the beautiful getaway himself he could; and yet he is happy for you to take control and for him to take a backseat simply excecuting whatever land development wishes you come to him with. It could be argued that maybe he lets you design it because he wouldn't be sure on how to do it himself but even then Nook could still retain a lot more control than he does.

Some may argue that Tom Nook's major drawback is not the loans but instead the view that he is harsh and tough - too harsh and tough. This can be seen in older games where he was abrasive and sometimes outrightly rude, at times questioning the player for slacking or accusing them of making chit-chat when they're supposed to be running his errands. However it is not the case that Nook is just uncessarily rude because his blunt and sometimes seemingly unfair attitude towards the player comes from a place of concern and care. Nook is a life long business man and some of his experiences have left him with a hardened view of the world that the player should be mindful of when considering his personality. It is known when Tom Nook entered the business world he faced hardship - leaving his home town to go to the city with plans of being a successful business man and ultimately being unable to see his dream become reality, in part due to negative experiences with Redd. Tom Nook says himself that he is ok with being viewed as intimidating because it may enourage people to pay back their loans and I therefore believe that criticising him for being 'too tough' is unfair, given that the rough exterior comes not only from a place of care but from real world experience. For Nook, unprofessional behaviour is something that has negatively impacted his life before, so its not unreasonable that he would have a low tolerance for such behaviour - even Nintendo officials said that Tom Nook wanted to teach the player about responsibility as well as the fact that if the player doesn't repay their loans he wont be mad or make an issue of it.

Perhaps the strongest arguement in defense of the business man, is his relationship with the Nooklings. Although it was suggested in the original game they may be his nephews it is now publicly agreed that Timmy and Tommy are not related to Tom, as one might assume, but are instead orphans that Tom adopted. Its known that he raised them and wanted to teach them how to have good business practices and to develop financial security so that they wouldn't face the same hardship as him, which goes strongly in his favour. He has dedicated many years of his life to what were - when he first met them - two children with no relationship to him. It could even be argued that the fact that the twins share the same family name as Nook despite likely not being related is indicative of a high level of care and compassion he has for them irrespective of him educating and raising them.
Additionally, Tom Nook has been quoted as saying that 90% of the bells he makes in profit are donated to an orphanage 3 towns over and it can be presumed this is because of his experience with the Nooklings. A truly overly tough business orientated worker would not often donate the bulk of their profits - of which it can be assumed he has lots - to charity while also raising orphans and passing on his aquired knowledge.

Nooks compassionate personality extends beyond his children too, with Sable telling the player in Wild World that even though Nook was extremely poor in the city he would still find the time to write her letters and for her birthday gifted her a greatly expensive pair of sewing scissors. Nook can be found saying that Sable's wisdom still guides him and expresses regret for pushing her away.

To conclude, despite the fact that some may assume Nook is a bad man due to his harsh attitude and constant loans in earlier games it is clear that Tom is simply a misunderstood soul. Due to the fact that he offers interest free house loans, wishes to teach the player responsibility while still being extremely lenient and - perhaps most compellingly - because he is a charitable man who has a track record of being extremely caring and going out of his way to ensure others have a better life than him even if it doesn't benefit him in any way it is clear that Tom Nooks good qualities outweigh the negatives of his personality and certifies the fact that Tom Nook is a good guy.

Notes: Things I could not find a place for in this post but I think are worth knowing is that his birthday is May 30th, he enjoys gardening as he says it keeps him 'hunble' and he also talks about how as a child he was mischievious and was known for not handling his school work when he was supposed to. its also been said by Sable that he has a beautiful singing voice and a pure spirit - so much so that she feared when he went to the city it would negatively impact him too much and be 'too harsh on his soul'.

References:

Money.co.uk. (2020). Here’s How Much Your Animal Crossing Home Would Cost in Real Life. [Online]. Twinfinate. Last Updated: 2nd September 2020. Available at: https://twinfinite.net/2020/09/how-much-your-animal-crossing-home-cost-real-life/ [Accessed 24 February 2023].
Nookipedia. (2020). Nook Inc.. [Online]. Nookipedia. Last Updated: 25th December 2022. Available at: https://nookipedia.com/wiki/Nook_Inc. [Accessed 24 February 2023].
JVGS Jeff. (2021). Samson's Pic, KC's Goodbye. [Online]. Jeff's ACWW Blog. Last Updated: 21st November 2021. Available at: https://www.jvgs.net/acwwblog/2021/11/21/samsons-pic-kcs-goodbye/ [Accessed 24 February 2023].
Jenny Mott. (2020). A Tom Nook Stan Post. [Online]. POMEmag. Last Updated: 27th March 2020. Available at: https://pome-mag.com/a-tom-nook-stan-post/ [Accessed 24 February 2023].
Nintendo of Japan. (2008). Animals working in the village. [Online]. Animal Crossing: Lets Go to the City!. Available at: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/ruuj/character/index.html [Accessed 24 February 2023].
Nookipedia. (2022). Mabel/Sable Episode 6 (Next Friday). [Online]. Nookipedia. Last Updated: 30th January 2023. Available at: https://nookipedia.com/wiki/Episode/Wild_World_dialogue [Accessed 24 February 2023].

i remember your first thread from a couple years ago! it was actually the first thing i thought of when the “tom nook: is he a scammer” thread popped up. like your first thread, this is really well-written, and i love that you included citations as well! your first thread really helped drive home how cool nook is for me, when before i was kinda indifferent about him.

i’d honestly love to have a landlord like tom nook irl; sure, his loan prices can get pretty high as you continue to pay them off, but the fact that he allows you to pay them whenever you want, at your own pace, without ever threatening you or evicting you, is pretty incredible. and no interest fees? nook is a pretty laidback, generous guy when you think about it. sure, he was kinda ‘strict’ prior to new horizons, but actual landlords would be much, much worse if you didn’t pay them within a certain time.

nook‘s relationships with some of the other npcs (especially sable and the nooklings) have always fascinated me. his relationship with sable sounded so tender when she talked about it in wild world, i’m honestly kind of disappointed that it hasn’t really been touched on since. i don’t have much of an opinion on nook’s relation to the nooklings (i used to believe they were related, but not so much anymore), but him taking them under his wing and giving them a job is really all i need to know. i think he just wants everyone to do their best (including us), and that’s why he’s appeared tough or harsh at times. plus, a lot of characters were harsher in the past (esp the villagers lol), but he’s softened over the years just like them. he’s not a bad character at all imo.

tom nook was always a generous but even more so in the new games. throughout population growing, wild world, city folk (maybe even new leaf) he was kind of a shady character, meeting rover in the train and him telling you that he knows a guy who could get you a house seems like a set up by nook imo but at least you don’t have to pay anymore if you don’t want to.

i remember your first thread from a couple years ago! it was actually the first thing i thought of when the “tom nook: is he a scammer” thread popped up. like your first thread, this is really well-written, and i love that you included citations as well! your first thread really helped drive home how cool nook is for me, when before i was kinda indifferent about him.

i’d honestly love to have a landlord like tom nook irl; sure, his loan prices can get pretty high as you continue to pay them off, but the fact that he allows you to pay them whenever you want, at your own pace, without ever threatening you or evicting you, is pretty incredible. and no interest fees? nook is a pretty laidback, generous guy when you think about it. sure, he was kinda ‘strict’ prior to new horizons, but actual landlords would be much, much worse if you didn’t pay them within a certain time.

nook‘s relationships with some of the other npcs (especially sable and the nooklings) have always fascinated me. his relationship with sable sounded so tender when she talked about it in wild world, i’m honestly kind of disappointed that it hasn’t really been touched on since. i don’t have much of an opinion on nook’s relation to the nooklings (i used to believe they were related, but not so much anymore), but him taking them under his wing and giving them a job is really all i need to know. i think he just wants everyone to do their best (including us), and that’s why he’s appeared tough or harsh at times. plus, a lot of characters were harsher in the past (esp the villagers lol), but he’s softened over the years just like them. he’s not a bad character at all imo.
its so cool to me that you remember my original thread !! i saw that thread too actually just before i wrapped up this post and i was so surprised because for a while i was under the impression that people liked nook now T-T sable is my favourite NPC out of them all and i found sable and toms story line to be the best in the game, i just get so worked up over them i love them both very much. sable and tom really do just deserve a break (':
Post automatically merged:

tom nook was always a generous but even more so in the new games. throughout population growing, wild world, city folk (maybe even new leaf) he was kind of a shady character, meeting rover in the train and him telling you that he knows a guy who could get you a house seems like a set up by nook imo but at least you don’t have to pay anymore if you don’t want to.
I appreciated the shady Tom Nook as a kid - I was so unbothered and I respect him as a business man. You gotta do what you gotta do

Matpat just made a video talking about this topic of Tom Nook:
I actually DONT***** like that video to be honest, he made probably a total of three points and then started arguing that he was the average capitalist but capitalism doesn't actually exist in Animal Crossing in the way that it does irl
especially the bit at the end that was borderline criminal

Last edited:
In ACNH, you can basically work for an hour a day for a year and make enough money to retire, so I'd hardly say Tom Nook and the Nooklings are scammers. Although, I bet they have scammed or stole money from someone given the losses they are operating at, there's no way they can make ends meet without getting some money under the table.

I honestly never thought Tom Nook was shady, a crook, or even the "antagonist" of the series as I've seen some others say. Maybe it was just childhood naivety, but he always seemed like he was genuinely helping you out. Seriously, who else is going to give someone with basically no money a house and say "just pay me back whenever." ?!

Yeah honestly I don’t get why people say he’s so bad. Maybe they just never think about what he really does. He does make you pay loans but any good business owner does that. He doesn’t even give you a time limit. And he buys things from you and takes those same bells that were HIS for YOUR loan to be paid off. AND he can renovate your house in one night.

I like Tom. Sometimes I get irritated at the cost of things but then that just makes me laugh since this IS a game. But yeah, I agree that getting a house and upgrades and "pay back when you can" is awesome. Wish that could happen irl!

Honestly Tom Nook is a saint? I want a landlord that gives me a house and let me pay whenever I want!

Tom is an easygoing and understanding tanuki. I think everyone who hates on Tom doesn't appreciate the fact that he's helping you out, but he's helping himself too. More you because you can pay the debts back anytime you want.

Back