Gaming Pet Peeves

Speaking of Story of Seasons and the Harvest Moon series, that reminds me of one of my biggest issues when it comes to games: slow starts. The Harvest Moon games (at least, from Island of Happiness onwards) have been the worst for this. So much so that I stopped playing them, after Tale of Two Towns. I don't even care if Story of Seasons is good, I can't put up with the tedious pace of the game. Although for comparison's sake, there's also Rune Factory 4, made by the same company, which I can very easily enjoy as it gives you lots of things to do from the get-go. It's kind of annoying in Harvest Moon games when I have to wait a few days JUST to unlock the fishing rod (one of MANY basic features which take ages to unlock). Plus, time seems to go so slowly in the more recent HM games that I'm often sending my character to bed at 9am, having done everything I can for the day. It just feels.. wrong.

When you need multiple consoles just to keep up with one series.

Tales series is really bad at this. Tales of Symphonia? GameCube. Tales of the Abyss? PlayStation 2. Tales of Vesperia? Xbox 360.

Backtracking, weither in the game (metroid style) or just in 1 section (Like in Thousand year door chapter 4)

Also, fetch quests

When you need multiple consoles just to keep up with one series.

Tales series is really bad at this. Tales of Symphonia? GameCube. Tales of the Abyss? PlayStation 2. Tales of Vesperia? Xbox 360.

Ugh this. Why not keep it on one or the other. Yes they have remakes but really three diff. ones?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Only having one single save file in anything.

Tbh I don't get the thing why people complain to this... I can understand if it's visual novel and you want all the endings/achievements though.

Tbh I don't get the thing why people complain to this... I can understand if it's visual novel and you want all the endings/achievements though.

Welp, like I said in my post on the other page when I brought it up, I'd really like to be able to have at least two save files on Pokemon games so that I can have a permanent game where I can do breeding and what-not, as well as an empty slot I can mess around with to do nuzlocke variations on.
With only a single save slot, my options are limited to:
-Never being able to do breeding/online battling due to resetting, or
-Spend more money on another copy (or the other version) of the game to use as a "throw away" save file once I beat the Champion (or fail the nuzlocke run, but that's only happened once, and it was on the Champ, anyway)

The reason two versions were created for the Pokemon games (originally, at least) was to encourage social interaction to get all 150/151 pokemon via the Link Cable. There was no WiFi then, so battling and trading had to be done face to face, as that cable isn't very long (I don't feel like taking mine out to measure it, but you have to be pretty much next to one another to use it).

Having only one save file on recent games, however, is a bane to some nuzlockers. For instance, when I get a new pokemon game, I'll run a blindlocke of it. Then, I might want to go back and run a variant of a nuzlocke (Wonderlocke, Wedlocke, Wonderwedlocke, etc), or change up the rules a little depending on the overall difficulty of the game during the blindlocke.
Back then, it was fine since I wasn't interested in competitive breeding or battling; but now, I want to get into it, so that means to still be able to run nuzlockes, I need another copy/version of the game.

For that, it'd be nice to have an option for a second save file.

The first one that popped up in my head was in the original animal crossing for GameCube, when you went to go sell all of your stuff (shells and whatnot) you had to sell them individually! Like by the type! Like what if everything in your pocket was a different item?! It always took soo long and it really irritated me lol!

Only having one single save file in anything.

I'll take your single save slot and raise you "autosaves"

Autosave/checkpoints as the only means of saving your progress is so stupid.

I have other things to do. I don't want to keep playing at 3AM until the "saving" symbol appears in the upper-right, whenever the hell that might happen. I want to save and quit when I am done and ready to go to bed.
I don't want to redo a half hour of progress because I died 10 steps away from a stupid autosave. I want to be able to save before I think the poo is about to hit the fan. Or worse, redoing a half hour of progress because I didn't know when the next autosave would appear and I needed to go to bed, or make dinner, or some other Life-related thing happened.

Although, yes, I also want to be able to have saves across 10 different slots because it's safe to assume that any game released in recent years is probably really buggy, and I don't want to redo the last 6 hours of it to get back to this point when I hit a game-breaking bug on the only available checkpoint-autosave profile. :c

Also whiny protags.
So many JRPGs I'd like to try, and so many protagonists that keep me from taking the plunge.
Tidus kept me from enjoying FFX, and I was actually pretty excited to try The Last Story now that I have a Wii U... until I was told that the protag there is a whiny brat, too.
I'd rather have the irrationally headstrong in the face of monsters that tower over them, "we can overcome anything" kind of protag than the whiny, prepubescent, "I'm just not cut out for this role!! qq" protag.

Oh, thought of another one!

Only having one single save file in Pokemon games.

Come on...I want to run nuzlockes, but I can't go back and do other nuzlocke variations, as well as having a permanent file if I want to get into online battling, unless I get both versions of the game (or beg for the other version as a gift).
There are so many other games which have multiple save files...and I'm sorry, but if Final Fantasy could give us three save files on a freak'n SNES cartridge in the 90's, then Gen VI pokemon should have no problems with giving us at LEAST two save files on a 3ds cartridge in the 21st century!

He wanted you to name your guys.

I have other things to do. I don't want to keep playing at 3AM until the "saving" symbol appears in the upper-right, whenever the hell that might happen. I want to save and quit when I am done and ready to go to bed.
I don't want to redo a half hour of progress because I died 10 steps away from a stupid autosave. I want to be able to save before I think the poo is about to hit the fan. Or worse, redoing a half hour of progress because I didn't know when the next autosave would appear and I needed to go to bed, or make dinner, or some other Life-related thing happened.

Although, yes, I also want to be able to have saves across 10 different slots because it's safe to assume that any game released in recent years is probably really buggy, and I don't want to redo the last 6 hours of it to get back to this point when I hit a game-breaking bug on the only available checkpoint-autosave profile. :c

Also whiny protags.
So many JRPGs I'd like to try, and so many protagonists that keep me from taking the plunge.
Tidus kept me from enjoying FFX, and I was actually pretty excited to try The Last Story now that I have a Wii U... until I was told that the protag there is a whiny brat, too.
I'd rather have the irrationally headstrong in the face of monsters that tower over them, "we can overcome anything" kind of protag than the whiny, prepubescent, "I'm just not cut out for this role!! qq" protag.

I don't like screechy people either. Spike from MLP is voiced by a girl, and he isn't screechy.

Currently hating RPG games with no (or very few) "full heal" things, where you interact with something nearby and then you regain all health and everything. Currently playing Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and you take like all kinds of damage through the adventure and more than halfway through the game I've only run into two of those "heart block" things. It's so annoying! Full restore things should ALWAYS be right before the bosses! ALWAYS!!!

Or when you have to go on this grand quest before you can hit the next save item- be it a scroll or a block or whatever.

Personally I like the option to save anywhere. If I were to suddenly level up or gain a special item or whatever, I want to be able to save right then so I don't lose it. My favorite thing ever was playing Paper Mario on an emulator and being able to save any time I wanted to by pressing F2.

Level up? F2. New item? F2. I think there's a boss ahead! F2. Oh, I guess not. ...F2!!

lolol. This one kinda bothers me, too. I want to pick up all the things, but I want to pick up new and exciting things first. I'm only in Winter, year 1, so some of the ores I find in the safari are still pretty new to me.
And I get so irrationally upset when I see a new ore and I try to pick it up, and she picks up everything around it first. Why did you pick up the scrap ore, it's 4 feet away from you. Pick up the green orb that you're standing on, gdi. It is new and shiny and I want to know what it is.

Savescumming would be a much less tedious process if she would just pick up the things I want her to pick up. Or if standing over things actually told you what it was.

Exactly! As of now I am on Spring of year 3 and I still find myself wanting to throw my 2Ds across the room! It makes me especially mad when you are trying to pick up the Angora Rabbits after they dropped their fur and instead of picking up the rabbit you pick up the fur instead. It's just frustrating. And I understand where you are coming from with the whole mining thing, it irritates the heck outta me!

I can agree that Harvest Moon has a very slow start, and I love the Rune Factory series, which pretty much influenced me to buy Story of Seasons. Rune Factory 4 was the best in my opinion ^.^

Last edited:
Boss characters being annoyingly strong but when you get them as party member they suck balls

I've found that I really dislike when games have an offset third person view. I'm not sure why but it really irritates me. I'll still enjoy the game but I also just sit there wishing I could fix it the entire time.

My biggest pet peeve isn't about any game by itself but rather the people who play it. It drives me crazy when people jump into a higher difficulty of an online, team-based game without ever having played the game before. I play killing floor (1 and 2) way too much for my own good and having a level 2 join me on the hardest difficultly isn't cool. It makes me waste time for several reasons if I can't vote kick them. 9 times out of 10 they have the worst attitudes I've ever seen also. It wasn't just someone who made a simple mistake starting the game. X___X

^this and people who look down on you because you don't play on the same diff. sorry i dont play level 10 civ difficulty >> I play it for fun and I like strategy games not to get like all 250 achievements.

anyways when boss fights are several stages AND YOU CANT SAVE IN BETWEEN FFFFff

^this and people who look down on you because you don't play on the same diff. sorry i dont play level 10 civ difficulty >> I play it for fun and I like strategy games not to get like all 250 achievements.

anyways when boss fights are several stages AND YOU CANT SAVE IN BETWEEN FFFFff

Or when you don`t use the right weapon, because the right weapon has to be the one which is according to the mass the hardest to use. I mean people, if I play a game, I choose the most fun weapon, not the most difficult one.

Even more annoying, when they kick you out for using the wrong weapon Monster Hunter. Or people who hacked the game, reach level 999 and act superior. Why buy a game if you are going to cheat your way through the entire game? And when you do enter a fight with one and he ends the fight in 5 seconds, he expects a damn thank you. Thank you for what exactly? Corrupting the game, making the actual playing part of the game obsolete and only the reward part (the very thing you work for) count?

I mean come on, grow a brain.... Atleast mention on beforehand your going to cheat. Some of us actually want to play the game.
Oh and the gunners in Monster Hunter 3, fighting the Alatreon using the stuck behind the ridge trick. I need Alatreon Webbing (or whatever it was called from the wings) as much as the next guy, but lets hunt it normally, I`ll do my part cutting tail or breaking face or whatever, but lets play for it.

Cheaters in games in general piss me off really. Games with multiplayer ofcourse.....

Yeah. I don't care if you use codes for personal use since no one can see it but Multiplayer come on.

I hate that mass thinking. Like.. I use whatever (weapon) I want thank you. Elitist thinking in general bothers me and their attitude. sigh.

Or when you don`t use the right weapon, because the right weapon has to be the one which is according to the mass the hardest to use. I mean people, if I play a game, I choose the most fun weapon, not the most difficult one.

THIS one really depends on the game. ;D In Monster Hunter - sure, I'll DEFINITELY agree with you. I play Hunting Horn with Dual Blades as my backup. I don't care that other weapons are more efficient (I'm pretty sure Dual Blades are the weakest "slicing" weapon in the game), I find Dual Blades fun - and they suit my purpose. Likewise, I don't care that the Hammer is better at dealing blunt damage than the Hunting Horn. I like the whole buff game going on with the Horn, and being able to thwack a monster in the face to heal my team is oddly REALLY SATISFYING.

Although, in other games, such as Mega Man - where half the game is figuring out what weapon is suited for what job - I'll disagree with you. Unless it's Top Spin. Because that's literally the worst weapon ever.

When the main games incessantly call your guys "it". The word just makes it seem as if they have no personality.

I gave a fabulously camp gay Gardevoir named Chester, and upon paralysis/burn, what does my game call him?

IT.

The word "it" makes my hilariously campy Gardevoir seem like all the other Gardevoirs out there: generic psychokinetic characters with no other purpose.

Back