• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Thoughts on the appeal of "modern Gameboy Color Games"

MiniPocketWorld

Just be.🎈
Bells
Playful Scenery
Bee Plush
Bee Plush
Bee Plush
Playful Scenery
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
So McDonald's made "a new Gameboy Color game" in 2023 to promote some new milkshake that is now discontinued.
The game is called Grimace's Birthday and actually looks nice and looks like it is fun to playthrough. It doesn't have a life bar system but uses a timer system.

"Grimace's Birthday is a 2023 browser-based platformer game developed by Krool Toys and published by McDonald's. Released alongside the Grimace Shake on 12 June 2023, the game was produced using software to imitate a Game Boy Color title. While the game did not receive a physical release and is not a Nintendo-licensed Game Boy game, its files are compatible with Game Boy hardware. Grimace's Birthday was positively received, with several critics directing attention to the unexpected theme and medium for a promotional game and the strong likeness of the game's visual presentation to Game Boy titles."--Wiki

I thought this was interesting considering the Gameboy Color was a 1998-2003 console by Nintendo but yet Mcdonalds chose this to promote their shake of all things. I guess the noticed the lasting impression of the older consoles on gamers. Either way it seems to have been well received. (The game idk about that milkshake).

What do you think the appeal of the Gameboy color is?
Is the art just nostalgic or is there something more to the Gameboy Color era that is appealing today?
Is it a symptom of the digital age and information sharing providing free learning resources and programs for people who grew up playing retro games to make their own retro looking games?
Is it just simplistic gameplay and lack of micro transactions or lack of internet requirements that is appealing?
Is it the game's shirt playtime allowing you to finish in an evening or weekend that is appealing before going back to the grind on Monday?

Have you played Grimace's Birthday? What did you think of it?
If you haven't played, what do you think of its gameplay footage? Does it look like something you would try out?

It does look like those who made the game published it for browser play or download on itch.io (I assume this is ok to share, indiegame website). They even shared files for the game to be played on the the pocket analog console. (Omg an analog pocket would be a lot of fun to have)

And looking through the page a little bit, it seems they may have used the GBStudio game engine to create the game. (It's a fun program to use btw).

The Gameboy Advance also left it's mark on gamers as well with its games and it's catalog houses some of my favorite games. But the Gameboy Color started that road.

Do you have any thoughts of modern gb/gbc/gba type of games or suggestions to play?

I'm so glad this thread exists! I'm too tired to contribute much today, but I've dipping my toes in GB/GBC homebrew games and I'll keep an eye on this for recs and such.

I'm so glad this thread exists! I'm too tired to contribute much today, but I've dipping my toes in GB/GBC homebrew games and I'll keep an eye on this for recs and such.
I started a list for myself of homebrew games to try out but I just haven't gotten around to starting on it yet. I can come back and share what have written down specifically later. I'm to busy at the moment to look for the list rn and the have another long day tomorrow.
However I remember From Below Pocket being one game and I believe it is a newer game. To me it looks like fun. Another is Hidden Gems which is a project of a game jam. Powa! Is another. The Machine is another but it isnt on my personal list.

my visit back...
Chantey (still in development I believe)
Nunya
Core Machina
Pineapple Kid
Goodboy Galaxy
World Reborn
Hidden Gems
From Below Pocket
Melon Journey Pocket
Repugnant Bounty
Wing Warriors
Powa!
Inky and the Alien Aquarium

Last edited:
Honestly, I love the aesthetic of the games.

There's an upcoming game being developed by Yacht Club, the same team who made the shovel knight series.

It's called Mina The Hollower and it has the same style of the oracle zelda games.
There's something about that era in games that's full of charm. It's not just the aesthetic, it's a full on vibe. One I'm glad is getting traction from indie devs.

I started a list for myself of homebrew games to try out but I just haven't gotten around to starting on it yet. I can come back and share what have written down specifically later. I'm to busy at the moment to look for the list rn and the have another long day tomorrow.
However I remember From Below Pocket being one game and I believe it is a newer game. To me it looks like fun. Another is Hidden Gems which is a project of a game jam. Powa! Is another. The Machine is another but it isnt on my personal list.

Out of these, I've only heard of The Machine! I really want to play it at some point, it looks intriguing.

Back