• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games you like that everyone else hates?

I don't know if everyone hates it per say but I know that Epic Mickey Power of Illusion for the 3DS wasn't terribly well received. Which is definitely fair! I'm by no means saying the game is perfect but it holds a special place in my heart. My dad got it for me for Christmas and he was super excited about it because he knows I like Disney and was proud of himself for finding a Mickey Mouse game, lol. I think we had been looking at one on his Playstation around that time? He thought that the 3DS version was that game, but it wasn't.

It's an absolutely gorgeous (in my opinion!!) platformer with pixel style art and it's the first game I ever beat totally on my own. I wish we had gotten more worlds - I honestly think the game was supposed to have more but they were cut in order to release at the same time as the Epic Mickey home console game. I think it would've really benefitted from there being more time to work on it (adding worlds and tweaking game play) because it does fall short in some areas but as a whole I think it's so stinking cute, even though it's definitely a bit unfair and clunky at times. An Alice in Wonderland world would've been so cool though I'm really bummed the box art has the mad hatter on it but Alice in Wonderland isn't a world!!

Probably Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I know there's a good amount of people who don't like it, but from what I've played of it so far it's simply amazing. It's not just the hate though, the game is really underrated and not talked about enough as well...

Star Wars: The Old Republic. I have my share of complaints as well - lots of them - and it's definitely a mediocre MMO, but I can't help but like the dialogue-wheel in the game, how you have the illusion of shaping your character's journey.

Yeah, definitely an illusion, but still, better than nothing.

I also quite enjoyed School Days because of the multitude of endings the game has based on player choices (21 endings!!!!). Seriously, this game puts Telltale Games to shame, in spite of its sometimes cringey storyline.

I've seen lots of people not liking mario sunshine or putting it on the bottom of the lists when ranking mario games but it's my number 1! Just the memories alone I have from playing it with my nephews, good times! Played it on the switch last year when all stars came out and...yep...still loving it! 😄

I've seen lots of people not liking mario sunshine or putting it on the bottom of the lists when ranking mario games but it's my number 1! Just the memories alone I have from playing it with my nephews, good times! Played it on the switch last year when all stars came out and...yep...still loving it! 😄

This is the game that came to my mind, I don’t think it’s hated as such but it’s definitely less popular then the other Mario games and doesn’t get a lot of love. I always enjoyed playing it though, even if the controls could be a bit of a pain at times and some of the levels were a complete headache, I really liked the setting for the game and all the areas around the Isle that you got to visit. Also running around on Yoshi eating fruit just so I could change his colour was a lot of fun when I was young. This game was my main reason for getting the All Stars pack when it came out and I loved getting to play it again.

Castlevania 64 and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness. I haven't played enough of the other games in the franchise to comment on how they compare, but I enjoyed them at the time. Maybe because I grew up playing other 3D-platformers.

Pokémon Shield, it seems. I had fun, and that's the most important thing about a game IMO. The stadium battles, the Dynamaxing, the improved AI of NPC trainers (especially Leon and the gym leaders). Good game.

Bubsy games they are not so bad!
except the 3d that is horrible 🤮

Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates. I know there are plenty who like the games since I see fan art all the time of the games, but my personal friends even my friend that got me into fire emblem and told me to try awakening all don’t like them because they prefer the older titles (though i believe he did like three houses).

I was dissatisfied with Fates’ story and copy and paste dialogue, but I still enjoyed it in spite the flaws and still think the game’s characters had some of the best designs.

My memory on Awakening is pretty poor but I know I loved the story and found some of the characters very endearing. I had some problems with the game but they were very minor and I don’t remember since it has been so long. Again, the character designs were pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neb
I’d have to go with the Senran Kagura series! Most people dismiss them as pure fan service, but the gameplay is actually really fun. Not to mention the adrenaline pumping soundtrack each game has.

Maybe Röki? I love that game but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, since it is technically a point and click. However unlike traditional point and click games you are able to move the main character around like you would in a pokemon game which I really liked. But I think if I am remembering correctly people's main complaint was that the puzzles were too hard, but honestly I enjoy challenges, plus I didn't find them impossible.

Another game is probably Raji: An Ancient Epic. It is a super fun game but the ending is really abrupt and there are a few small issues I have with the mechanics of the game. BUT it is visually stunning, the music is amazing, and the gameplay is super engaging yet relaxing. Plus after reading more about the game online I learned that the reason why this game ended the way it did was because the developer was mainly working alone (one man) and was running out of funding for the game. I even read an article that said he sold his own apartment just so he could finish it the way he did! But since the game has had some success, he is hoping to do a DLC which will give the game the ending it deserves. I think there are about 4 1/2 chapters in the game, and the first 3 are AMAZING. But you can tell after that the ending is extremely rushed. I really hope the developer is able to add a DLC, I think this game would benefit from adding at least 3 more chapters.

Pokemon Sword/Shield is definitely one. I feel like it got a lot of undeserved hate ever since they announced that not every Pokemon would be in the game (which, for the record, I had zero problems with them doing), and people have been nitpicking the game to death ever since. Like, it's a Pokemon game and plays like a Pokemon game and I enjoyed it when I played through it. It's not the best Pokemon game ever (hi HGSS), but it's absolutely not the worst one either.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is another one. I remember it getting a lot of hate when it was released. I wouldn't get around to playing it until 2 and a half years after it came out, but I enjoyed it a lot! The gameplay was fun and I enjoyed the story and characters. And since I did initially play it so late, I was able to enjoy it with the updates that came out well after the game was released, which likely helped as well. It was definitely a worthy addition to the Mass Effect series.

hmmm.. white knight chronicles and/or star ocean integrity and faithlessness. loved both, they were remarkable for me.

Sonic Adventure 2, it seems like everyone is disliking it now lately. yes, some of gameplay types are kinda eh but its still fun.

Pokemon Sword and Shield, these games got a lot of hate for not being able to transfer a lot of Pokemon from the older games but I didn't have a problem with it. The games already have a large number of selection of Pokemon to choose from, both new and old. Plus, I thought the Dynamaxing, stadium gym battles, and music were cool. Also, I liked that you can finally control the camera angles in parts of the game like the Wild Area and in the DLC locations since the previous main series games in the franchise didn't have this feature. Sword/Shield didn't have the most exciting storyline, but most of the Pokemon games aren't very story-driven in general, so it doesn't matter to me. Just because Sword/Shield didn't have a good story, it doesn't mean the whole game isn't worth playing. Granted, I did get bored of Sword/Shield after finishing the story, but the DLC kept me hooked for hours. The Expansion Pass has so many fun features like new quests to catch legendary Pokemon, Battle Dens to find legendaries and shinies, new Trainer Customization features, new Pokemon, new regional forms, numerous areas to explore and so much more. I think the whole is is worth buying just for the DLC alone.

It seems like Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl were well received, even though it didn't have the best graphics in the series. I thought the chibi art style was kinda cute and I had a blast exploring The Underground with all sorts of Pokemon to find. I really look forward to Pokemon Legends: Arceus because the gameplay is supposed to be more immersive than the previous games in the series. I do get a bit tired of the traditional setup of the Pokemon games, so I can't wait to experience something completely new.

Kingdom Hearts 3. While I do get that there are some elements of the story are still confusing and hard to follow I still enjoy the gameplay and graphics.

Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut doesn’t seem too popular but I had so much fun with it as a child. The soundtrack is something else. 🙃 I loved the chaos you could have. That was my favorite part of the game for sure.

Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut doesn’t seem too popular but I had so much fun with it as a child. The soundtrack is something else. 🙃 I loved the chaos you could have. That was my favorite part of the game for sure.
It's not Sonic Adventure DX as a game that's the problem so much as the fact that every subsequent port has continuously eroded the quality of the game by introducing new and increasingly game-ruining bugs, re-compressing the textures to the point where they look more dated than the original Dreamcast game that was released over two decades ago, among other problems. It's a game whose reputation is marred by the lack of care that has been put into preserving its legacy, rather than anything particularly wrong with the game itself.

Not that the original was ever free from poor design decisions or clunky controls. But people might not be so harsh on the game today if subsequent ports had enhanced the game with higher resolution textures, fixed control issues, and quality of life improvements, rather than each new edition being steadily worse than those that came before it.

Paper Mario Color Splash, Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic games, Animal Crossing City Folk, Mario Party 9, 10 AND DEFINITELY STAR RUSH. I LOVE STAR RUSH SO MUCH NO ONE CAN @ ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING AMIIBO FESTIVAL (I REALLY LIKED IT OKAY.)

Pubg aka Player Unknown aka Battlegrounds. It’s a survival/ first person shooter game. My husband is a PC gamer and its the only game we get to really play together and team up. I feel like people loved the game in 2016 when it first came out. Some household names in the streaming world couldn’t get enough of it. Now it’s just broken and barely anyone plays. I think people prefer Fortnight or Apex Legends now. I like the simplicity of the game and on occasion it’s easy to play a match or two as they are pretty quick.

Back