• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games you like that everyone else hates?

King koopa

🎈 Balloons 🎈
Bells
Island
Soulturn
Purple Balloon
Blue Balloon
Light Blue Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Purple Balloon
Andromeda Potion
Raven Wings Potion
Blue Rosewater Potion
Rosewater Potion
Purple Bat Potion
I was curious if anyone else liked games that the majority of people seemed to hate. For me it's the original super mario 3d world. I used to play it all the time growing up and I completed it 100%. Though watching some videos on YouTube I noticed just how many people dislike the game. Obviously now the remake for the switch is out and that has much better reviews, so I think maybe part of the issue was the kinda easy bosses? I mean boom boom and pom pom were kind of hard at first but eventually they became really easy for me, even at later boss levels. Overall I liked the original 3d world in the past and I still do today

my all-time favourite game, rune factory: tides of destiny, is considered the black sheep of the (already kind of obscure) series, so definitely that one. i'm also quite a fan of the game avalon code and very few people know about it and even fewer people like it 😅

Chrono Cross! It’s a game that a lot of people like to hate on for not being Chrono Trigger. It’s so tiring and sad. Chrono Cross helped me through a lot as a youth and the story is absolutely fantastic imo.

I love the music, the characters and the difference small things make.

Resident Evil 5. A lot of people hate on that game because it was such a diversion from the horror genre the RE games were known for. However, my bf and I had sooo much fun playing through it multiple times, getting all the achievements, and it really was the game that converted me into a gamer, so I think of it very fondly. Also, since I had no emotional attachment to the franchise prior, I didn't mind that it was different! I just enjoyed it for what it was, and it really was one of my favourite co-op experiences ever.

I can't think of any other game I've played that people usually dislike, since I usually look at reviews now before picking up games. Most of the titles I get are very much well loved. There are higher chances of me disliking a well loved game than there is of me liking a hated game.

Oh, perhaps Phantom Hourglass? Zelda fans were not happy about that one, but I adored it and it introduced my favourite underrated character ever in the Zelda series - Linebeck! I love this guy so much ^_^

Then there's Triforce Heroes, which also brought me so much joy, but people don't like it since it isn't traditional. But when you find a good team and you just vibe so well even with just having emotes to communicate with, it's just such a great experience!

The Dog Island comes to mind. That game was a guilty pleasure of mine. The opening soundtrack is very memorable to me.

I know that Jaws on NES is a well disliked game cause it has basically nothing to do with the movie and the game itself is repetitive and somewhat monotonous, but I actually genuinely enjoy playing it. oddly enough I usually also dislike LJN games but this one particular one is fun, even though it is repetitive.

I don't know if this game is "hated", per se, but I know Pokemon Let's Go had really bad and degrading comments made about it. Yeah it's an easy game, but these days that's all I want. I work full time so I don't need to work during my downtime either.

I don't know if this game is "hated", per se, but I know Pokemon Let's Go had really bad and degrading comments made about it. Yeah it's an easy game, but these days that's all I want. I work full time so I don't need to work during my downtime either.
From a shiny hunter's perspective, Let's Go was incredible, actually being able to SEE the exact shiny you're getting and all. It was what I wished the overworld encounters in Sword and Shield would've been, too bad it was yet another victim of Game Freak's gen 1 favoritism.

Pokémon Sword and Shield. They are my least fave in the series and I do agree they have a lot of flaws but I still liked and enjoyed the game. Even though it seemed like just about everyone loved/still loves hating on it and calling it complete trash. It could be way better yes but it’s not unenjoyable like most people make it out to be in my opinion.

From a shiny hunter's perspective, Let's Go was incredible, actually being able to SEE the exact shiny you're getting and all. It was what I wished the overworld encounters in Sword and Shield would've been, too bad it was yet another victim of Game Freak's gen 1 favoritism.
Yeah I liked that part too! It was actually so weird for my brain to wrap around the concept that it's okay to run through the grass haha.

listen
I KNOW fallout 3 isn't a "good" game, but it's so much fun to play I find myself making excuses for it all of the time. It's super flawed, bugged, and not paced well at all. It just has such a special place in my heart because of the time period I played it in, brings back too many memories not to enjoy it.

Bioshock 2 is criminally underrated, people were just upset that there was no big groundbreaking ending like the first game. I loved the redesins of the splicers, the voice acting is incredible, and the new plasmids added lot to the game play.

Golden Sun - Dark Dawn.
People complained a lot about how it wasn't up to the legacy of the two previous games. Which, truth be told, it's... yeah, it's true. No point in denying it, the first two GS were beyond amazing! But just because it wasn't as good, that's not the same as saying it was a bad game, which it ABSOLUTELY was not. I still enjoyed it lots, played it several times in three different languages (and surprised myself at how different the dialogues felt), and even nowadays still retake it from time to time.
Post automatically merged:

my all-time favourite game, rune factory: tides of destiny, is considered the black sheep of the (already kind of obscure) series, so definitely that one. i'm also quite a fan of the game avalon code and very few people know about it and even fewer people like it 😅
I loved Avalon Code. Not that easy, and very original mechanics and story.

Probably Sunset, I suppose due to the chunky graphics and being a bit hard to navigate, but if I had to define my aesthetics with one game this would be it. It also require some interest in 1960s/70s political history with the Americas to be able to fully enjoy. I never minded the graphics and while I don't play it anymore it was definitely one reason to come back to Steam whenever I did before.

(Yes this is a rather obscure indie pearlm but yeah if it's still available, play it! Also the OST is absolutely amazing).

Probably any of the Paper Mario games. If it's not Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door a lot of the fandom rips it apart. Origami King was pretty good, but since it's not TTYD it gets ripped apart all the same. I don't know if it's just band wagon mentality or if the games besides TTYD are all bad, but I've enjoyed all of them.

I have no opinion on Sticker Star as I never played it. I hear how it is always the worst out of the Paper Mario series. I should pick it up one day and see for myself.

Probably any of the Paper Mario games. If it's not Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door a lot of the fandom rips it apart. Origami King was pretty good, but since it's not TTYD it gets ripped apart all the same. I don't know if it's just band wagon mentality or if the games besides TTYD are all bad, but I've enjoyed all of them.

I have no opinion on Sticker Star as I never played it. I hear how it is always the worst out of the Paper Mario series. I should pick it up one day and see for myself.
Probably just bandwagon mentality. I do admit that I'm a huge TTYD fan and it's definitely my favorite in the series, and imo the best in the series, but the other games (well, minus Sticker Star, I suppose) aren't BAD. I personally didn't like Super Paper Mario, but I know loads of people who did. The latest ones like Color Splash and Origami King have a lot of cool aspects, but I, along with a lot of others, just find them to be a bit bland compared to games like TTYD or even 64. What most people complain about is the unique species being replaced by generic Mario ones and Bowser constantly being the final boss instead of new characters, but that's not the games, that's Nintendo. I think Arlo did a video going over Nintendo's newer policies for that stuff. Unfortunately, that's just changing times. I love TTYD, but I know that we're never going to GET another TTYD, so I try and look at the bright side. Sorry for splurging, I just wanted to give an explanation from the side of the PM fanbase that doesn't hate everything 😅

@your local goomy I actually played TTYD and enjoyed it. It's been a long time so I should pick it up again and see where my opinion on it stands. Because I honestly can't remember anything about the Paper Mario on the Wii. Like it's all a blur lol. I must not had really cared for that one, if I can't even remember anything.

I will admit that the maze/puzzle mechanics for Origami King could had been reworked and or just taken out and made the game an adventure Paper series instead of having some rpg mechanic that had nothing to do with being paper-based. But overall I enjoyed the game a lot. Fighting actual tools was kind of funny.

I know that Jaws on NES is a well disliked game cause it has basically nothing to do with the movie and the game itself is repetitive and somewhat monotonous, but I actually genuinely enjoy playing it. oddly enough I usually also dislike LJN games but this one particular one is fun, even though it is repetitive.
I agree with this. It may have been because I was just a kid when I first played Jaws, but I had a lot of fun with the game. I revisited it later on in my teens via emulator and I still had fun playing it. I loved the bonus levels where you had to fly over the jellyfish and take them out.

As a huge fan of the movie Jaws, I can say that my fondness for the game is completely unrelated. They are two totally separate entities, but both are good in their own ways.

Back