• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games you like that everyone else hates?

I don't know if this is necessarily unpopular or just obscure, but Backyard Baseball '09 for the Nintendo DS. I'm not really into sports games and I had no idea who any of the NBA players in the game even were, but my dad had a DS Lite back in the day and had it. I played it A LOT and I remember really enjoying it. The only sports game other than Wii Sports that could keep me occupied for more than 5 minutes lol.

Probably just bandwagon mentality. I do admit that I'm a huge TTYD fan and it's definitely my favorite in the series, and imo the best in the series, but the other games (well, minus Sticker Star, I suppose) aren't BAD. I personally didn't like Super Paper Mario, but I know loads of people who did. The latest ones like Color Splash and Origami King have a lot of cool aspects, but I, along with a lot of others, just find them to be a bit bland compared to games like TTYD or even 64. What most people complain about is the unique species being replaced by generic Mario ones and Bowser constantly being the final boss instead of new characters, but that's not the games, that's Nintendo. I think Arlo did a video going over Nintendo's newer policies for that stuff. Unfortunately, that's just changing times. I love TTYD, but I know that we're never going to GET another TTYD, so I try and look at the bright side. Sorry for splurging, I just wanted to give an explanation from the side of the PM fanbase that doesn't hate everything 😅
Super is my ALL TIME FAVORITE. I have played every Paper Mario game EXCEPT thousand year door though. Ever since I was little and my mother bought Super I had wanted Thousand Year door when I looked it up on google. After all these years though I bought a gamecube finally!! I got to play Double dash which is now my favorite after wanting to play it for 9 years. I hope TTYD is the same but maybe oneday I can actually buy it without paying 120 dollars lol

I don't know if this game is "hated", per se, but I know Pokemon Let's Go had really bad and degrading comments made about it. Yeah it's an easy game, but these days that's all I want. I work full time so I don't need to work during my downtime either.
This! I madly love pokémon Let's go eevee! It makes me relax so much, and then the graphics are so cute and colorful. Another hated game that I liked at the time is Rhythm Thief for 3DS, it can be considered a copy of Professor Layton but it's done really well! I absolutely loved it. And then... Pokémon X and Y. Many will call me crazy but I love everything about these games even though I know they have flaws (which games don't?), I don't understand why they are so hated...

ANIMAL CROSSING AMIIBO FESTIVAL (I REALLY LIKED IT OKAY.)
This. While it’s not my favorite AC game, or even my favorite spinoff game, it holds a special place in my heart. I remember being so excited to go to my Dad’s house as a kid because oh my god he had AMIIBO FESTIVAL, and it was the coolest thing ever when I learned you got to roll double dice on my birthday (January 22nd). Maybe it was because I was younger and easier to entertain lol. I still have the game, but now I just use it as a way to kill time with my siblings.

Usually 2D Zelda games tend to get overshadowed by the bigger, more fleshed-out 3D Zelda games, but Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks really takes the cake. I haven't played them much, but I really enjoyed the stories and unique controls. I just think it goes to show that 2D Zelda games can have rich and interesting stories, even if it's on an under-powered handheld with simplistic gameplay / visuals.

I wouldn't consider this game hated, more so underrated / not talked about much, but Miitopia. Even with a Switch remake, the game is pretty niche since it was only on the 3DS (initially). Tomodachi Life is in a pretty similar situation (although it's still not on Switch), but it kinda feels like people know and played that game more. I absolutely adore Miitopia and I wish more people played it to experience its wacky and unique style.

Probably any of the Paper Mario games. If it's not Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door a lot of the fandom rips it apart. Origami King was pretty good, but since it's not TTYD it gets ripped apart all the same. I don't know if it's just band wagon mentality or if the games besides TTYD are all bad, but I've enjoyed all of them.

I have no opinion on Sticker Star as I never played it. I hear how it is always the worst out of the Paper Mario series. I should pick it up one day and see for myself.
As someone who loves Paper Mario and whose favorite from the franchise is TTYD, I can confidently say that it is indeed a bandwagon within the community, and it gets old very fast.

I played Origami King, and it was very enjoyable to me! The graphics were charming and "on-brand" for the series, the characters and writing weren't awful, the music is AMAZING, and I really appreciated that it wasn't afraid to get a little darker with its tone; the last time the series got dark or ever took itself seriously was Super Paper Mario (another game that gets the "it isn't TTYD!!" hate, my 2nd favorite of the series)
The only major thing I really didn't like was the combat system, but overall it was solid
Granted the only 2 games I haven't played are Sticker Star (I own it, I just need to play it) and Color Splash so I can't speak for them, but from what I'm hearing from others those last two games are noticeably more lighthearted

I can't deny that TTYD is the cream of the crop for the series and if anyone wants a good feel of Paper Mario they should start with that one for sure, but the devs are doing the best they can with the mandates that Nintendo has in place, and for what they've produced recently (Origami King), I enjoyed it and hope they can continue that pace

Sorry to bring this up, but I couldn't help but make a point. I often play games that everyone else hates, and I don't care because those games are significant to me. One of my best games is Sonic 06. I know it has a lot of glitches, and the story is pretty weird, but I love playing Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, plus the music is just super. Anyway, I ignore the opinions of others, I just got a good hosting provider http://7d2d.net/ and enjoyed the games. Don't let the haters throw you off. If you like a particular game, keep playing it. At the end of the day, it's all about having fun.

Last edited:
Let’s be real for a moment. Genshin Impact. It gets so much hate lol. I don’t really care if a game is in negative light. If I enjoy it, I will still play it. And others should too.
The opinion of someone else doesn’t matter.

Back