• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Frequently Asked Questions About The Bell Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mairmalade

mar 🐳
Staff
Bells
Island
Wisteria
Galaxy Easter Egg
Frost Easter Egg
Nightmare Easter Egg
Perfect Apple
Perfect Cherry
Perfect Peach
Perfect Pear
Durian
Lemon
Lychee
Frequently Asked Questions at The Bell Tree
answers written by Justin, Prof Gallows, Chris, Mairmalade, Oblivia, Jeremy, and Jas0n

Below you'll find answers to commonly asked questions about The Bell Tree. You'll also find some useful threads located at the bottom of this post.

How Do I Make “Spoiler” Tags and Inline Spoilers?
How Do I Add a Signature?
What Other BBCode Is There?
How Do I View the Forum in Desktop Mode on Mobile?
Why Am I Not Receiving Notifications?
What Do the Colored Names Mean?
How Do You Become a Moderator, Admin, or Project Staff on the Bell Tree?
What Are the Differences Between the Animal Crossing: New Leaf Boards and Animal Crossing: New Horizons Boards? Which One Should I Post In?
How Do I Add My Island Name in the Sidebar?
What Are TBT?
What Is the TBT Shop? What Can I Buy in the TBT Shop?
How Do I Use the User Title Color Change Item?
How Do I Earn TBT?
How Do I Send Another User TBT?
What Are Seashells? How Do I Get Them and Use Them?
What Are Collectibles?
How Do I Change the Order of My Collectible Lineup?
How Do I Send Another User a Collectible?
What Is the Feedback System? How Do I Use It?
What Is ‘Bumping?’ How Do I Bump a Thread?
Why Did My Post Automerge?
How Do I Change My Thread Title?
How Do I Lock My Thread? How Do I Delete My Thread?
How Can I Delete My Account?
I Got a ‘Warning.’ What Does This Mean?
How Do I Use Search?
How Can I Open the First Page of a Thread Instead of Being Brought to the Latest?
How Does the Ignore Feature Work?
I Have a Question Not Listed Here! What Should I Do?
What Are Some Useful Resources?

How Do I Make “Spoiler” Tags and Inline Spoilers?

To add one to your post, thread, or signature, simply add this line of BBCode:
[spoiler=Title]Content[/spoiler]
Edit the "Title" and "Content" sections appropriately to change what it says.

Here's an example of what it will look like:
Content
You may also 'blur' out a certain section of text within your post. This is called an 'inline spoiler.' Use the following BBCode to create an inline spoiler:
[ISPOILER]Context you want hidden[/ISPOILER]
Here's what it looks like: Context you want hidden

How Do I Add a Signature?
To post a signature, click your name or avatar located at the top of the page. On the drop-down, select "Signature." The box on this page is where you can edit what will be displayed in your signature across the forum.

If you would like to include an image in your signature, you will need to use an image's direct link. Either click the insert image button to enter the image's URL or enter it with BBCode like this:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Hs7vOQl.png[/IMG]

In this example, the image is hosted on the image hosting site Imgur. The total width of your signature, including all text and images, should not exceed 250 pixels in height. If your signature is too big, a moderator will replace it with text requesting you to change it.

You may also resize your image directly by using the following BBCode:
[IMG height="250px"]https://i.imgur.com/Hs7vOQl.png[/IMG]
Signatures do not appear to guests when the mobile layout is being used. For signature help and questions, please visit The Signature Guide.

What Other BBCode Is There?
For formatting help, please view all available BBCode and how to use them here.

How Do I View the Forum in Desktop Mode on Mobile?
Disable 'Portrait Orientation Lock' (iOS) or enable 'Auto-Rotate' (Android). By doing so, you will be able to view desktop mode when turning your phone horizontally.

Why Am I Not Receiving Notifications?
Access your notification settings in your Preferences. You may enable only forum notifications (these will show up beside the bell icon on the top-right side of the forum,) email notifications, or both for a variety of things including but not limited to:
  • Someone quoting your post
  • New posts in one of your watched threads (select 'Watch' on the top-right side of any thread to watch a thread)
  • Someone leaving you a private message (PM) or visitor message (VM)
  • When someone mentions you (you may 'ping' anyone by typing @ followed by their forum name)
If you have notifications enabled and are NOT receiving them, it may be because:
  • You need to refresh the page first
  • You did not save your preferences at the bottom of your Preferences page
  • The post auto-merged
  • A user edited their existing post to add a user ping
What Do the Colored Names Mean?
Users with a blue, green, or red-colored name are The Bell Tree staff members. You may view a list of them here.

Administrator.: They're the techies who deal with all of the site functionality, shop restocks, and all the behind-the-scenes work that keeps us all sane and the site running smoothly. They also cover moderator duties when needed.

Moderator: They're responsible for managing interactions between users, handling reports, and taking care of the general site issues that arise on a daily basis.

Project Staff: These are the creative folk who contribute to site events, graphics, and collectible creation.

How Do You Become a Moderator, Admin, or Project Staff on the Bell Tree?
About once per year, we open staff application forms for interested users to apply. Keep an eye on The Bulletin Board for these opportunities. They are typically within one of our "Bell Tree Directs," which are intended for new and upcoming site announcements.

What Are the Differences Between the Animal Crossing: New Leaf Boards and Animal Crossing: New Horizons Boards? Which One Should I Post In?
Animal Crossing: New Leaf Boards

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Main Board): General discussion of the game

The Train Station (AC:NL Online): Anything to do with playing the game online with others including opening your gate, looking for open gates, sharing turnip prices, sharing friend codes, and more

Re-Tail: Trading, selling, buying, and giving away Animal Crossing: New Leaf items or services

Able Sisters: Sharing and viewing QR Code patterns from Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Villager Trading Plaza: Trading, selling, buying, and giving away villagers

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Boards

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Main Board): General Discussion of the game

Able Sisters: Pattern discussion, showcase designs. and the commissioning, selling, and trading of New Horizons patterns

The Airport: (AC:NH Online): Seek other islands to visit or invite others to visit your own (e.g.: special character visits, island tours, and general online play)

Nook's Cranny: Buying, selling, trading, and giving away Animal Crossing: New Horizons items and services

New Neighbor Network: Buying, selling, trading, and giving away Animal Crossing: New Horizons villagers

How Do I Add My Island Name in the Sidebar?
To add your island name to your sidebar, you'll need to make a thread in the Island Journals board, and then put the numbers at the end of the thread URL into the NH - Island Thread ID field on the Account Details page. This will then display the name you have entered in the NH-Island Name field in your sidebar.

e.g. the URL for Chris' thread is below. The last numbered characters, 517909, are entered in the NH - Island Thread ID field:
Code:
https://www.belltreeforums.com/threads/welcome-to-the-viles.517909/

What Are TBT?
The Bell Tree bells are commonly referred to as 'TBT.' They are The Bell Tree's forum currency that may be used to purchase in-game items, art, items in the TBT shop, or collectibles.

What Is the TBT Shop? What Can I Buy in the TBT Shop?
The TBT shop allows you to buy various forum upgrades or collectibles. Goodies are added or restocked occasionally, and announcements are typically made on the Bulletin Board. Sometimes these are part of TBT Directs which include information on additions and/or restocks. Items you can buy include:
  • Upgrades: Enable animated GIF avatars, purchase a username change, and more!
  • User Title Color Changes: See the little text under your username next to your posts? That’s called your User Title! For a small fee, you can change the color of this title! To change your user title's text, visit your Account Details and add text in the 'Custom Title' box
  • Vanity Items (Collectibles): Buy a little vanity item to display under your avatar! They serve no purpose other than display but you can gift them to other members as a present too
How Do I Use the User Title Color Change Item?
After buying the item:
  • visit your Inventory and select 'Configure' next to the item.
  • Put # followed by the hex code of your desired color
  • Save your settings
  • Set the item as 'active' and 'hidden.' Save your settings
How Do I Earn TBT?
You can earn TBT by:
  • Posting: Longer posts mean more forum bells! Remember, don’t make pointless posts just to earn more. We will delete them or take away your bells if we see this being abused (some boards such as the Introduction Board and The Basement do not provide bells)
  • Contests & Giveaways: TBT Staff and members occasionally hold contests as well as giveaways with bell prizes
  • Services: Open up a shop of your own on the TBT Marketplace board or one of the Animal Crossing trading boards. Members may be willing to pay TBT bells for whatever services you can offer. Alternatively, respond to requests posted by others on the board.
Editing your post will deduct TBT bells for text removed.

If your post is merged by a Moderator, you will also lose some of the TBT bells earned from creating the thread.

How Do I Send Another User TBT?
You can do this by clicking on the user's bells underneath their avatar on one of their posts or by clicking their bells on their profile. Select the 'Donate' tab and enter the number of bells you wish to send. You can also add a message for why you're sending the bells. Both you and your recipient will receive a notification.

There is also a useful guide on bell and collectible transfer here.

What Are Seashells? How Do I Get Them and Use Them?

10 seashells are given to new users to make purchasing some forum add-ons like name changes or user title color items more accessible.

If you've been a member of The Bell Tree for a minimum of two years and have at least 20 posts, you will receive an additional 10 seashells.

There is no other way to obtain these at this time. Only certain items may be bought with seashells but we are hoping to add more variety in the future. You may purchase add-ons with seashells in the shop here.

What Are Collectibles?
Collectibles are special artistic icons designed primarily by TBT staff. They are typically tied to special forum events and special occasions/holidays. Keep an eye on the Bulletin Board for announcements on collectible restocks and events where you can earn collectibles!

For restocks and items/collectibles tied directly to the shop, you can access them here.

Collectibles can be displayed in your sidebar alongside all your posts in a maximum of two rows of five collectibles. This is called your 'Collectible Lineup:'

iJ3bxm8.jpg

Most collectibles have limited-release windows or are only awarded to a few specific users from winning an event and are rare. Collectibles are often traded for other collectibles, art, in-game items, or TBT bells. You may buy, sell, and trade collectibles on TBT Marketplace.

How Do I Change the Order of My Collectible Lineup?
Currently, there is no easy way to do this beyond trading others for specific collectible dates.

Collectibles are automatically organized by the date of the collectible. The collectibles with the newest date will be displayed on the top left whereas the oldest dated collectible will appear on the bottom right.

In cases where the date and time of the collectibles are the same, the collectible ID (the number at the end of the URL on its shop page) will be taken into account. The lower the number, the older the collectible. This means a collectible with an ID of, for example, '300,' will appear before (to the left of) a collectible with an ID of '200' if the date and time are the same.

How Do I Send Another User a Collectible?
To send another user a collectible, visit your Inventory. Some collectibles cannot be traded or gifted; however, those that can have a 'Gift' option beside them.

Select 'Gift' beside the collectible you wish to give another user. Enter their name along with a message to send the collectible. Please see this guide for specific details.

What Is the Feedback System? How Do I Use It?
The Feedback System is a feature that allows you to leave (and receive) legitimate positive and negative feedback from forum and in-game Animal Crossing transaction experiences. This helps others make an informed decision when looking to buy, sell, or trade with a particular user. It is visible on every member's sidebar on The Bell Tree trading boards.

To view feedback given and received by a particular member, visit their profile and select 'Feedback Stats.'

To give feedback,
select 'Add Feedback' on a member's profile or simply select the '+' icon on a member's sidebar within the trading thread.

Positive feedback will increase a user's feedback score, negative feedback will decrease a user's feedback score, and neutral feedback will not affect a user's feedback score.
What Is ‘Bumping?’ How Do I Bump a Thread?
Someone may 'bump' their thread when it is no longer on the first page of a board for better visibility. Traditionally to bump a thread you would simply post 'bump.' Doing this is only permitted on trading boards and must follow specific guidelines:
  • Trading Board Threads: should not be bumped until the thread is inactive for at least four hours
  • Animal Crossing Amiibo Card Post Office board: may only be bumped after eight hours of inactivity
  • Nook's Cranny Board Threads: may be bumped after two hours of inactivity
Making duplicate or similar threads in an effort to circumvent these guidelines is not allowed. As an additional rule, other users should not bump your thread on your behalf as this causes confusion and is unfair to others that are waiting patiently.

Continuous “thank you” and “good luck” posts are also seen as a way to bump a thread prematurely. If you are not posting with the intent to make or complete the transaction, you should refrain from posting.

Why Did My Post Automerge?
If the most recent post in a thread belongs to you and you make another post within 30 minutes, the new post will be merged into your original one. This is to prevent post-spamming. Some boards have increased times to help reduce excessive thread bumping: Nook's Cranny merges posts made within 2 hours and New Neighbor Network merges posts made within 4 hours. This feature is disabled on the Island Journals board.

How Do I Change My Thread Title?
You can only change your thread title within 30 days of creating the thread. If you're within this time period you can edit it by clicking "Edit Post" on the thread's first post and choosing the "Go Advanced" option. If you've exceeded the 30-day period and wish to make an edit, select 'Report' on the bottom-left of your post. If the reason for the change is legitimate a member of staff will do this for you.

How Do I Lock My Thread? How Do I Delete My Thread?
The ability to lock your own thread is only available on trading/online play, and the Island Journals boards. Select the three dots on the top-left of your post. This will present a drop-down menu with the option to lock your thread.

You do not have the option to delete your own thread. Staff typically do not delete threads unless there's a legitimate reason to do so.

In either scenario, you may report your thread and request for it to be locked. A staff member will review and lock it at their discretion.

How Can I Delete My Account?
The Bell Tree does not delete accounts on request as it can interrupt the rest of the forum and its content. Given the nature of the forum, it also affects important information attached to an account.

Your account will remain open for when (or if) you choose to use it again. If there's personal information (e.g.: name, location, or other sensitive information) you would like removed, please make a thread in the Contact the Staff board with the links to the posts you'd like altered.

Exception: An account deletion request will be considered if it has fewer than 12 posts. However, when there are serious privacy concerns or potential for real-world harm, your username or specific posted content may be edited as a courtesy. Both requests can be made via the Contact the Staff board.

I Got a ‘Warning.’ What Does This Mean?
Warnings are given by staff members when you've violated our Rules and Guidelines. These range from friendly reminders (e.g.: for posting in a misplaced thread instead of reporting it) to more severe warnings such as for rude behavior, alternate accounts, and prohibited content. The action taken will depend on the severity and frequency of the rule break(s). In some cases, this could be up to a temporary or permanent forum ban.

When you receive a warning, you'll notice that warning points are assigned. These serve no purpose at this time and are a default forum feature.

You may view your warning history on the 'Warning Tab' on your profile. Only you and the staff may view these warnings. If you feel uncomfortable with the warning you've received, please make a thread in the Contact the Staff board. Warnings are typically not revoked unless there is a very good reason.

How Do I Use Search?
To get the best results, go to the board you wish to find something in. From there:

• Select 'Search' in the top-right of the forum
  • Type your desired search
  • Select 'This Forum'
  • Enter the user's name in the username box if you recall who made the particular thread or post
  • Hit Search
Searching for posts made by a specific user within a thread:
  • Click into the thread
  • Select 'Search' ‘and 'This Thread'
  • Type the username and tap them when their icon pops up
  • Hit Search
Searching by Prefix and Other Filters:
Trading, Museum, and Able Sisters' boards allow you to add a prefix to your thread title when creating a thread (e.g.: Buying or Selling) to let others know what your thread is for.

You may filter your search by prefixes, currency accepted, discussion status (locked or open), and last updated to easily find the results you want as shown below:

Ri6Ebty.png

When viewing a board, you may also click one of these prefixes to show only the threads that have that prefix. Useful if you're looking only to trade or for shops!

How Can I Open the First Page of a Thread Instead of Being Brought to the Latest?
If you're clicking into a thread and are frustrated that you're being brought to another post within the thread, you may click the creation date of the thread to see the first post.

Date.jpeg

If you're on mobile, tilt your phone horizontally to switch to desktop view and you'll be able to see the creation date. To do this:

On iPhone: turn portrait orientation lock off
On Andorid: enable auto-rotate

How Does the Ignore Feature Work?
You may place a user on your ignore list by clicking ignore on their profile. An ignored user will still be able to view your profile and posts, search your posts, and send you messages. However, you will not receive any private messages sent to you by a user on your ignore list. Their posts will also be hidden from your view across the forum unless you click on their posts to unhide them.

You can limit visibility/access to certain parts of your account by accessing your Privacy settings.

I Have a Question Not Listed Here! What Should I Do?
If it's a general forum question or suggestion, you're encouraged to check The Information Desk or create a thread on The Bell Tree HQ. If you have a question or concern that is best dealt with privately (e.g.: concern about another user,) make a thread in the Contact the Staff board. Any thread you make there is only viewable by yourself and the staff.

What Are Some Useful Resources?
Rules and Guidelines - rules you agree to abide by when participating in The Bell Tree Forums
How to Use The Bell Tree's Dodo Queue Feature - for help setting up and using the dodo queue feature on New Horizons trading boards
The Signature Guide - for help and assistance in creating, formatting, and adding signatures
The Information Desk - a place for all your quick forum-related questions
Guide on Sending Bells and Collectibles - a step-by-step guide on the bell system and gifting collectibles
Collectibles List - for a list of all TBT collectibles and the Collectibles Tier List for approximate prices on tradable collectibles

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back