• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Dying trends that you still follow

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is using forums. But really this is the only frequent one I use because the others are dead. Except for one that I occasionally use to talk to an old friend/penpal. I just feel like with forums I got to really know the people I interacted with daily. With social media, it's less about that for people and more about clout. And I'm not into that nonsense.

I guess I still have a collection of dvds. I know everyone is getting rid of all that stuff because of streaming services. But I just can't get rid of those yet. Especially because sometimes those streaming services don't have everything and or may get rid of certain movies/series. And then I'd regret tossing movies I enjoyed.

Also having physical copies of games. I prefer that over digital. Everyone wants digital and I get it, it's convenient and less space. But that game copy is locked to that one system only whereas with physical I can use it on multiple systems.

Yeah, same thing here. Forums are a dying trend and I'm still here using this one.

I also keep trying to remember to go physical, but then I'm like "digital yes".

View attachment 499055
I prefer to drive cars that have a manual transmission.I learned to drive a manual when I was fairly young and got used to it.Unfortunately there are very few new cars and trucks that offer a stick shift.

Building off this, I prefer my car to actually have a key as opposed to touch to start.

Yeah, same thing here. Forums are a dying trend and I'm still here using this one.

I also keep trying to remember to go physical, but then I'm like "digital yes".

Building off this, I prefer my car to actually have a key as opposed to touch to start.
Yeah,last week I had a rental car with a push button start/keyless entry and I wasn't sure what to do with the fob after the car started.I'm used to having the key in the ignition while driving so I had to consciously put the fob in my pocket and it felt a bit weird to do that.

A lot, honestly. Retro gaming is one of them.

Forums, even if they're quickly dying out. I hope TBT remains for a long time.

The shopping centres (our malls, basically) is one I'd like to say, but.... Our high street is dead. We don't even have a videogame store anymore, and the geek shop just closed too. Half of the shops are closed, and most of those that are open are just restaurants and clothes shops, neither of which I have any interest in. Charity (thrift) stores are all I visit for, and even then, most of them are just chock full of women's clothing and little else.

Playing regular board games, (ie. Monopoly, Clue/Cluedo) maybe? Everyone I see playing board games is usually playing some £50 game with add-ons costing £25 a pop.

Buying physical wherever I can. I've actually passed on games that won't sell a physical copy, and I'm more than happy to pay out extra for a physical release even when the digital is cheaper (like the Limited physical release Switch games). Books are the same, although I borrow most of mine. I have a ginormous library that's packed full of repeat 'popular' books, which are not what I care to read most of the time, so I'm sadly slipping towards ebooks since I'm finding a lot of self-published authors who are ebook only that write superior novels lately. I still buy CDs and DVDs, too.

Also - LPs rock. Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I LOVE the subtle crackling you get from a lot of the records. Before my time, but I'm glad they've seen a resurgence lately.

For anyone wondering what I have against digital: I don't feel like I own the product. I like being able to have full control over my items, and if I want to trade them in the future, I believe I should have that option. I can't with digital products, since they tie them to your account. Not to mention that game companies remove their online stores eventually, so if anything happens to the console afterwards (which also tends to happen eventually), you've lost all of the games in one fell swoop. I've got cartridges from as early as 1989 that are still working, which is more than can be said for some of the more modern consoles...

I still go to the mall occasionally, I do go to shop but a lot of the time I am really craving cinnabon and the only places that have a cinnabon are in the mall so it's a good excuse to also go and walk around.

I also still play old games, and I also play some old games on my Nintendo 64 since some of them are not available on the expansion pass and sometimes I feel like the game plays smoother on the original console. I don't have the desire or heart to give away my Nintendo 64 since it still works perfectly (and I got it back when it first launched!) it is made like a brick.

I still love going to the movies, its not as popular as it used to be since you can stream a lot of things a few weeks after its released in the theaters.

I prefer physical books (though its not practical since I don't have a lot of space to hold books, so I can see why people now read books on a kindle or e-reader it does save a lot of space.)

Also - LPs rock. Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I LOVE the subtle crackling you get from a lot of the records. Before my time, but I'm glad they've seen a resurgence lately.
Vinyl records are an interesting area, where they're old enough to be retro cool and valuable as collector's items, but recent enough that there are still devices that play them back to a reasonable level of satisfaction. They've gone from the dominant format used by all major artists, to a niche format used exclusively by enthusiasts and hipsters, to once again becoming a format where having the means to release your work on vinyl is something of a bragging right. Contrast this to the likes of cassettes or CD's, where there is still a flourishing community of enthusiasts who enjoy collecting and maintaining them, but the wider world doesn't see them as pieces worth collecting. There is still music being released for both formats, but you'll be hard-pressed to find any brick and mortar store that still sells new cassettes, and the market for playback devices for that format are, sadly, all a tad rubbish. CD's have it moderately better (and considerably better in Asian markets), but it's only a matter of time before they meet the same fate.

It's quite a shame, as there is absolutely a distinct sound to analogue formats that is difficult to authentically replicate in the digital age. It will be interesting to see if cassettes or CD's ever reach the same level of prestige as vinyl, but I suspect they may not have been dominant enough to become symbolically iconic as records were during their golden years.

Oh, lookie. I've made myself depressed again.

I use the CD player in my car often and I use DVDs every so often. I also like to read old paper magazines. I’m starting to get into collecting and have some good albums that I got for $8 or less. I’ve got three Donna Summers (one is a double album), Human League, Pointer Sisters, two Dionne Warwick, Culture Club Colour By Numbers, Janet Jackson’s self titled debut album, Janis Ian, Diana Ross, and a compilation album of Disco songs which is a double album. I was really pleased to find the Culture Club and Human League albums as I have wanted them for awhile now but didn’t want to pay $10 for them on iTunes.

Last edited:
  • I prefer to buy/read physical copies of books. When I try to read on a device I usually end up getting distracted by something else.
  • I prefer manual transmission cars.
  • I prefer cars without all the new "safety features". Driving a relative's car it tried to steer me into oncoming traffic because it thought a crack in the road was a traffic lane.. No thanks.
  • I really miss CD's and CD players. Nothing seems to have them anymore and I love having physical copies of my favourite music.
  • I prefer physically going to stores to buy things. I like to see what I am buying before I buy it.
I'm sure there are more but these are the first that come to mind

Playing New Leaf and the Gamecube version of Animal Crossing, while lots of people still play it, most are about New Horizons. New Leaf is my comfort game.

buying physical copies of media when accessible. got drawers of old DVDs from rental stores that closed down, physical books, and CDs

and skinny jeans lmao. wide pants look terrible on me

I still enjoy blogging by word and not by video. In this day and age, I hardly get visitors to my blogs off-site. It’s more of an empty chatroom.

-Bit of an obvious one, but I still use a forum! I've been on forums for most of my life since I was old enough to be on them (and a bit before that, if I'm being honest) with only a few periods where I wasn't on any, and I've never really had a good time with social media. Not that my experiences on past forums were much better than mine on social media, but I'm glad I didn't give up on them, because it's been an all-around lovely time here on TBT. ♡

-I still buy CDs and use an MP3 player! Thankfully most of the music I like are video game OSTs and anime opening/ending themes, so if it's not on iTunes I usually have a really good chance at still being able to get it on CD. Although I wouldn't say I'm much of a music person, I feel very strongly about owning the music I buy and being able to listen to it freely, and I've been staunchly avoiding music streaming services for that very reason.

-I strongly prefer physical copies of games! I usually only buy digital if it's the only thing available, or if the physical version is way more expensive for whatever reason. Of course I could always lose my physical copy too, but they feel less ephemeral to me.

-Continuing on with this list of physical media I prefer, physical books and manga. I'd really rather not use any sort of e-reader because almost all of my hobbies (and work!) involve staring at some sort of screen already, and I think it's best for my eyes and my sleep cycle if I don't change any of the few that currently don't revolve around electronics. 😅

-WIRED EARPHONES. Yes they can be slightly annoying but I don't have to worry about losing them if they fall out or needing to keep them charged!!

-I don't really care to keep up with fashion trends, I just wear clothes I like, so some of the stuff I'm fond of may be out of style or not "in" anymore.

-Sometimes I still use older meme formats, even if I'm sure they're considered "dead memes" by now. I still think they're funny I'm sorry!!

I don’t like a lot of new music, besides a few songs.

I like sitcoms. I haven’t been able to find a new one, but then again, I haven’t researched much.

I love pumpkin spice cheerios, bagels, and lattes— is pumpkin spice still a trend? Lol. It’s tasty.

I still wear Crocs. Mine are cozy and have fabric inside.

I still call it Twitter. (Who doesn’t?)

buying physical copies of media when accessible. got drawers of old DVDs from rental stores that closed down, physical books, and CDs

and skinny jeans lmao. wide pants look terrible on me
I've noticed the trend of wide legged pants coming back in now. It's hilarious that all of a sudden it's cool to wear them when skin tight pants have been a thing for like 10+ years. Funny enough, I still like the tight pants look. Wide pants look dumb on my body type.

I agree with many others here on shopping malls. Shopping for clothes is something that's just much better in person. I'll order some online here and there, but it's much better to go in store, see it in person and try it on in person. I dearly hope that there are shopping malls where I move to. We have one where I currently live that is staying active.

Internet forums, as well for sure! I've been using them since my mid teens, for two decades now. I prefer them over chat sites like Discord any day. Thankfully I know many that are still relatively active. Maybe not as much as back in the mid 2000s, but still plenty of activity.

Back