• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Characters that you would never write

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Everyone likes to write their own stories with their own characters, or write fanfics of existing media, but what are some characters that you would never include in your own works? And it’s not specific characters, but rather types of characters, like scientists, thieves, people with eating disorders, or anything else you can think of.

I honestly can't see myself ever limiting the types of characters I would write. I have included a large variety of characters in my stories up to this point and I think it's important to have that diversity. With that said, there are obviously many things that I don't have personal experience with, so I would do proper research and get input from real people with the traits or experiences I wanted to represent to make sure I treated the character appropriately.

Zombies or ghouls.

I like writing. I have a lot of fun with writing. I think I could write about pretty much any type of character - except zombies or ghouls.

I tend to keep story characters in my head, and I don't want that ick in my head. Maybe if I cleaned em up and made it funny.....

Nope. Even now, I'm catching an imaginary whiff of graveyard funk and feeling creepy crawlies up the back of my head. So nope. No zombies. No ghouls.

I can think of certain plot elements or things that I would never include in a work, but not types of characters. There's types of characters I'm unlikely to write just for lack of personal interest in the subject, and there's things I don't have experience with or knowledge about and would have to research first, but no type of person I'm firmly opposed to writing. There's no telling what kinds of characters a story might call for to push the plot forward, enhance the story's theme, or to highlight another character's traits, and I don't want to restrict myself.

I’m no stranger to dark subject matter, and I’m willing to write a story as dark as a typical South Park episode (or at least as dark as Disney’s Hunchback), but there are some themes I wouldn’t even go into no matter how dark my stories are.

That being said, the one type of characters I would never write are pedophiles. It’s disturbing, gross, and too dark for my stories. Besides, if I make an interesting villain who is savagely cruel, making him a pedophile would make people lose interest into the character. In all my past, present, and future works, there would be no pedophiles ever.

I also would avoid writing villains from actual evil groups like Nazis or Al-Qaeda. As evil as they are, they’re evil for a reason. Making them the bad guy in a story that doesn’t relate to them nullify this point. But if I do want to write characters based on them, I can come up with a fictional group that’s just as bad as they are, but also portray them realistically to show why the groups they’re based on is evil.

I’m no stranger to dark subject matter, and I’m willing to write a story as dark as a typical South Park episode (or at least as dark as Disney’s Hunchback), but there are some themes I wouldn’t even go into no matter how dark my stories are.

That being said, the one type of characters I would never write are pedophiles. It’s disturbing, gross, and too dark for my stories. Besides, if I make an interesting villain who is savagely cruel, making him a pedophile would make people lose interest into the character. In all my past, present, and future works, there would be no pedophiles ever.

I also would avoid writing villains from actual evil groups like Nazis or Al-Qaeda. As evil as they are, they’re evil for a reason. Making them the bad guy in a story that doesn’t relate to them nullify this point. But if I do want to write characters based on them, I can come up with a fictional group that’s just as bad as they are, but also portray them realistically to show why the groups they’re based on is evil.

I didn't think of that, but yeah, I don't think I'd write that either. Ugh.

i have a hard time writing characters with physical/mental illnesses other than my own. i'm extremely worried about portraying it wrong, stereotyping, or otherwise doing poorly. not that i won't do it, but i try to avoid where i can. i won't give my OCs something i'm not at least baseline familiar with when writing.

i have written some very dark things. i refuse to write characters/scenarios that would be/do something egregious like... yknow, predators. i'd rather just not. but ive written about serial killers so like...? idk. my brain is weird.

Dark, mature themes, characters are my favorite to write. Especially characters who grow into psychos.

I don't think I would limit myself, I have written alot of dark subject matter. I think it's good for diversity in characters, and situationsn to expand your comfort zone.

I go by the movie comfort zone. Which is what I would watch, and what I would not. For me I'll watch practically anything out there. So Im willing to write just about anything.

I use movies for character research and making them realistic. Especially if it's subject matter I'm not familiar with.

Back