• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

driving

What you're expieriencing is 100% normal and valid. Driving can be both a pain and unnerving at the beginning, but it does get easier as time goes on. Once you get used to keeping your cool, concentrating, and going with what's comfortable for you, it's a breeze.

Don't let your fear ruin the enjoyment and freedom of driving. Even if you end up never driving again after getting your license, having it is still valuable. You got this!

I got my permit and license during COVID, so it was very delayed, I got my permit I think Summer of 2020 a few months before I turned 16, and I got my license around March of 2021. I used to absolutely hate driving and would avoid it at all costs, but not because I was scared about my driving, I was scared about other drivers and how careless they are. Eventually, the more you drive, the more you learn how to be aware of your surroundings and adapt to situations. Out of my friend group though even though I'm the youngest I was the first to get my license (they still don't have theirs yet) and I ended up driving one of them around which helped me get used to driving and be more comfortable in the driver's seat. However, they kept on asking me for advice with the permit test, how to drive, and the license test, which I found to be quite annoying. Most of the things with driving are just gained with experience, but they would not stop asking me "how do I know how much to turn" or "how do I know how much pressure to put on the pedals" I would keep on telling them its with experience, but they would keep on saying "I know there's an answer that you are not telling me."

I have GAD and I definitely had to get my anxiety under control before considering getting my drivers license. Now I feel ready, but I can't afford it.

I got my permit at 15, but I'm 27 now and still don't know how to drive. My mom tried teaching me back then, but I had trouble remembering which pedals are which and I couldn't steer the car in a straight line.

I got my permit when I was 14, but I had wanted to be able to drive a car since I was 5, so that helped.
I had some anxiety on the road, which didn't help with the fact that I had gotten into a collision 3 years prior. I feel like the instructor could have done better himself.
I'd say you should probably ask your parents if you could try driving on some private property. I started out in my uncle's car dump. It feels less like a quiz.

I got mine in 11th grade I think. Had an old pickup truck to get from point A-B for work during the summers. It was new and deftinely something I needed to get used to. Now I've been driving for a good few years. It just takes time to do. Like riding a bike, but it's more dangerous than one so you have to treat it as such.

Back