Do you think the male mayors look more cute than the female ones?

Dude, my male mayor is cute, take a look. (He's wearing cute type clothes. :))
HNI_0080.JPG
See? HES SO CUTE!!! :D

I prefer the female player characters actually. Only reason I'd make a male player character would be to experience the differences in dialogue. I've heard the songs Kapp'n sings for guys are more entertaining lol.

I really don't care about the run. I wish there were better hairstyles though. I only like the bun and "long" hairstyle which isn't even shoulder length.

I think my male character is wayyy cuter than my girl mayor. He even looks better in the dresses -.- (I play on him to dress him up in cute outfits, while my mayor is more 'cool' and laid back style)

I've got a guy mayor, definitely prefer him to the ladies. Agreed on the hair thing though. Both genders could have used some fancier styles.
When Harriet asks for what look you want, just say very formal :p

edit ; It's also really flipping annoying when you have a girl character and EVERY SMUG MALE flirts with you, holy cow. Don't even get me started on Kapp'n, he's always calling me nice-smelling, cute, pretty, etc. Isn't he like this old turtle who already has a wife? And a child?

Last edited:
I think both male and female characters are equally as cute but I have a problem with the hairstyles for the females (except the female with the, "I want to kill you eyes," is a-okay with me). Anyway the female haircuts I think they're not very flattering or pretty in anyway like the men. According to Thonky though it seems like you can get the opposite gender haircut so problem solved for me :)

i have the oppisite problem, i tried to make a second guy character and no matter what i did he always looked bleh to me, i dont know why, maybe it is because i got used to the girl look? IDK, but it seams almost every guy i have played with always look eh to me

As someone with a really short pixie-cut in real life, I'm glad they gave me that option in game finally.

I often play guys in games because I can't stand how prissy the girls look - I'm happy with the girls in game and the guys.

Last edited:
In terms of male versus female characters, in New Leaf, I like both genders.
I can't exactly speak in terms of mayors considering that I'm not the mayor... but I think with all the new eyes and accesories, it really does provide more variety and gives more opportunity for both genders to be 'cute'.
I think my character looks pretty cute in a dress, but it gots to have a wig or a girly hairstyle.
And the white patent shoes, god I love those. <3

I think they look pretty much the same.
Although I prefer to use a female character because I am female.
Sometimes I dress her up in girly clothes and sometimes she runs around the village in overalls barefoot.

I don't really mind the girl mayors. But I do notice that my fancy pushes me towards the boy outfits... like at the moment I'm wearing the dress overalls and the post-op eyepatch. I don't mind, and I like that the girls won't be judged for wearing 'boy' clothes. Neither do the boys get criticized if they wear a dress. I think Nintendo tries their best to create the girls beautiful and womanly but also quite cartoony and childish. I wouldn't want it any other way :3

I've mistaken many boys for girls and vice versa. There's very little difference to me, and tbh, I think your view is maybe a bit... problematic? Like, the whole "looks like a boy pretending to be a girl" thing, idk. I think they made the characters fairly gender ambiguous and I wouldn't see that as a bad thing. These games are played by little kids and there's no need to hammer in the whole "girls = extremely feminine! boys = MANLY MAN MAN" kind of thing. Also, with the long hair thing, yeah, the animations would be difficult and I think part of it too is that even the longer hairs (like shoulder-length) look shorter just because our character's heads are much bigger than the rest of their bodies for stylistic reasons. Anyway, that's just my take.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to say except I couldn't think of a way to express it eloquently. Not being hyper feminine doesn't automatically equal masculine. I think making the characters a little gender ambiguous was deliberate on Nintendo's part. I'm a huge girly girl, but I like that you can choose to doll up your character or be more of a tomboy and the game doesn't force either on you.

These games are played by little kids and there's no need to hammer in the whole "girls = extremely feminine! boys = MANLY MAN MAN" kind of thing.

That's a good point and I never thought of it like that, but I still think long hair should be an option (I don't buy the technical problems since the Mii masks and wigs manage fine) and the faces could be more feminine. Most of the female mayors do look like tomboys to me, especially in comparison to the female animals although I know some of them are very ambiguous too. :) Then again, the character customisation's very limited anyway, seeing as you can't choose a skin colour either, I guess Nintendo want the focus to be more on the clothing and showing off your creativity on a somwhat blank canvas.

I actually hated my male person so much I had to delete it ._.
Although there are only 3 female type of eyes I can stand (Deleted another character because I didn't like those eyes after all) and I also think most female hair looks bad.
the thing that sets female player-chars apart for me are the clothes. I know that males can wear all the same clothes but it just wouldn't feel right to me, and wouldn't look as good with the male eyes.

I think female characters look better than males honestly.
Dresses look so good on the model.

I don't think the male ones are more cute. I just have a male mayor because I'd made a lot of female characters recently in other games and wanted something different.

The only thing that bugs me about male characters is that there's less good QR code clothes for them.

^ You dunno how much that annoys me, I'm trying to find something while this Commissioned piece is taking ages to finish :C

Back