• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What are you hoping for in the next animal crossing game?

I'm very happy with the direction of customization taken in NH. In that regard, I just want to see more variety. I want to see a lot of what they've added in Pocket Camp so our towns can be so much more unique.

What I really want for the next game is an overhaul of the villagers. Villager conversation has suffered with each new entry to the game. It was a big deal for me back in the original. I fell in love with villagers, but now I really just like them mostly for their appearance. I don't really know how, but there needs to be a big change with them, make them much more unique and much more fun to talk to again. (For the record, I'm NOT meaning making them too mean, I mean maybe a slight bit spicier, but their rudeness was not what I found charming about them in the original, it was a lot more than that).

Furniture-wise: I want to see more woodwinds and brass. I want to see at least my two main instruments: oboe and bassoon. I also want to see the harpsichord return.

Interactable objects: I liked how NH added a couple of handheld instruments that we could mess around with. I want to see more stuff like that.

1692968234225.png

We need to make giraffe ruler the next froggy chair and hype it up to be in the next game. I would also love a furniture item or recipe that’s a bowl of cereal!

I've thought a lot about this and my biggest hope for the next game is that they totally revamp the Villagers. I think it's obvious the spectrum of play for AC players goes from those who like the immersion (life sim) aspect of the game and those who like decorating. I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle of those two ends. New Horizons mastered the decoration side of the game, and while the next installment could definitely have more sets of furniture (either new or bringing old ones back) and/or fill out sets better, I'm hoping they focus on villagers next game to help with the immersion/life sim side of playing AC.

The way I hope they do this is keeping in line with three key points:

1. Revamp the personality system.
I think the 8-personality system where the male and female personalities are counterparts to each other is really outdated at this point and has gotten to be limiting. They nailed it with player character customization in NH and getting rid of gender commentary/rigidness, and I think the gendered personality system should be the next piece of that to go. Instead of having 4 personalities for each gender, I think that they could do a 5-personality system, with each personality having 2 variants for a total of 10 personalities that are more diverse than what we currently have and that are not limited to gender.

For most of what I came up with, it's just merging the two gendered counterparts into one but finding a way to still have 2 distinct variations. Here is a brief rundown of some of the ideas I had:

Snooty - the first variation being like an upper-crust member of society who has very high standards, only uses expensive furniture (and will only be happy with expensive gifts), will only sell/buy for higher prices, makes comments when you're wearing clothes that don't match/are cheap/custom designs ("homemade" lol), and will criticize things in your house that aren't to their taste (if they even come over, because you know they don't just go to anybody's home); the second variation being big-headed where they think they've got high standards but in reality are pretty delusional, their homes have expensive things but don't really match well, and they can be easily fooled through dialogue options on what is "in-style."​
Freeloader - the first variation being similar to NH Lazy villagers keeping the filthy aspect where they like bugs in their house and are very food-motivated, but could also now be seen with fleas more often, happily take hand-me-downs, will show up frequently at your house, and will only buy/sell for low prices; the second variation could be a hippy type villager who really takes it easy, likes the beach, is constantly seen in nature, and maybe even falls asleep more around town on benches/hammocks.​
Nerd - the first variation would be a dork/uncool kind of villager who likes classic "nerd" things like RPGs, staying inside, isn't as good at sporty things, and maybe even has a higher interest in gadgets and tech; the second variation is more of a homebody who likes reading, crafting items, painting/drawing, and is more likely to invite you over rather than show up to your house.​
Energized - the first variation would be simply athletic and be more likely to challenge you to a game or kicking a ball around, enjoy jogging around town, more health-conscious, ask you for or give you fruit/veggies more often, and will encourage the player to be more active; the second variation can be a sort of "off-the-wall" akin to Peppy but more eccentric and crazed, with a more heightened interest in different activities and almost having obsessions that could vary month to month.​
"Age" - not sure what this group could be called, but I would love to see the childish elements of NH Lazys, Sisterly, and Cranky personalities to be better highlighted, and I think that can be done with one variation to this combined personality being childish who need guidance, utilize the kid-like furniture in their house, ask to come over a lot, and are generally very kind-hearted towards others; the second variation could be an elder who is wise with age, can be cranky to the player upon first meeting but as you build friendship they take the player under their wing, offer advice, invite you over a lot, offer tips for playing the game, and are more likely to give you things for free.​

I know all of this is getting too into it, and that it's probably a very far-fetched idea, but some kind of system like this could really bright the villagers back to life and offer so many variations for villagers to fill your town, especially if they aren't limited to gender. I know a lot of people like the idea of being able to have more than 10 villagers, and this could allow for a lot more unique groups of villagers to have in your town.

2. Let Villagers "grow up."
You know how they introduced Flick, CJ, and Daisy Mae as "meet the next generation"? That gives me the impression that characters like Nat, Joan, etc. are "older" now. This is what I hope they do with villagers. Let them "grow up," with some more drastically than others. I think it would be really cool to see a villager like Stiches grow up and be a bear rather than a cub, and for him to even change personalities - under the system I outlined above, he could have the personality of a Nerd-homebody who is welcoming to the player and invites them over a lot, and could be like a big teddy bear that is familiar and "feels like home" for the player (I am personally turned off by a lot of the current Lazys who talk about bugs a little too frequently and feel like little children - compared to previous games, it feels a bit like they regressed rather than aged with the people who may have been playing these games for 10+ years)

I think doing a push like this with aging some villagers up could also allow for some new, "younger" villagers to be introduced. Especially if there is a better personality system with a personality type that can be more focused on a childlike personality rather than the NH Lazy version that has a mix of that plus the bugs and snack obsessions, lol. I also personally wouldn't be opposed to villagers also "aging out" and retiring in a sense. I know a lot of people hate this kind of idea, but I think many players can learn to enjoy new villagers once in a while and make some new friends in a game that's all about moving to a new area and building a little life for yourself. I think that's part of the core of this franchise that's gotten lost along the way as people have found their favorites and many mechanics across games are just rinse and repeat.

Lastly under this "growing up" idea, I think it could allow for some villagers to be refreshed and get some makeovers - even subtle changes just to show that these aren't static 3D models that essentially look the same 20 years on. It could help and handful of them to get some more love, too.

3. Bring back ALL previous Villagers AND introduce at least 50 more
I think this will sound like it immediately goes against what I just said regarding "retiring" some villagers, but I do think they could bring those ones back in a way that isn't them living in your town. I would love to see some of them have jobs and other functions whether that is in Nook's, Able Sisters, or entirely new game mechanics. If there is a Main Street-esque feature in the next game, these retirees could also be seen wandering around doing their errands and such - maybe even talking to them enough times as you see them week to week will allow you to get special items (maybe a way to bring back the Nintendo-themed furniture).

But to get to the main point, I think at this point and after they gave us those 8 returning villagers in NH's 2.0 update, they need to bring back all of the villagers that have been left behind in the Gamecube days. Some of them are so unique and have a ton of personality in their design, it's a shock that they've never been brought back. A move like this would appease so many old players and also bring a lot of freshness to the next game. In the same vein, introducing upwards of 50 new villagers would be a callback to everyone they introduced in New Leaf, which was really cool to see! Even 20 new villagers is better than just the 8 we originally got when NH released. To me that made the craze around a new villager like Raymond so much worse, because brand new villagers were in such short supply. From a sales point-of-view, a bunch of new villagers can also constitute a series 6 of amiibo cards since those became so wildly popular in the past couple years.

There are a ton of other things I'd love to see in the next game, but this type of villager overhaul is on top of my wishlist. I genuinely believe that the people working on this franchise hear us and know that NH really missed the mark for a ton of people in terms of villagers, so I have some hope that something will come out of all the criticism NH received. Crossing my fingers that something is at least announced soon, since NH turns 4 next year and historically we get a major release about every 4 years (yes, I'm counting the WA update for New Leaf as a major release since it added so much content... and it fits with the timeline perfectly, lol).

I actually want a payment collection for city/town/island violations for rules that you have enacted and said money goes to a public works account that is used to improve and repair official building and homes. Say you don’t want outside furniture near Nook’s Cranny because it would block the easiest path to get to the store and someone placed a lawn chair in the path. Well you track down who put the chair there and fine them a small amount and said chair is removed.

Bring back some elements of NL and mix them with with some elements of NH. Obviously all the positive aspects of each one. Maybe rework the crafting system and slowly bring back furmiture series that were introduced in NL but left out of NH. Introduce more villager species and more personalities. The gender personalities are fine, but maybe add more to diversify the dialogue a bit more.

* Bulk crafting (if crafting stays in the next game)

* Bulk NTM printing (if this, or something similar continues being a thing)

* More bugs, fish, and deep sea creatures. We need a nice variety of rare critters for the Spring, Autumn, and Winter, just like Summer has. Look at the Summer availability for bugs...then look at Winter's. Winter feels bland compared to Summer. It would be awesome if each season had its own set of rare and/or valuable critters to catch.

* If they continue making tool-breaking a thing, I hope Golden tools can be unbreakable.

* Deeper friendships and perhaps more interactions (like hugging). I love how you can give gifts in person. This is an example of an interaction I wanted for NH. I am happy there are some things implemented, depending on the game, that are exclusive to high friendships, but I honestly wanna see more. :,)

* Similar to above, we need a bigger variety of dialog. It would be awesome if certain dialog could be locked behind how badly or how well you treated a particular villager.

* I would also love for furniture series to return (lovely, regal, sweets, etc.) as well as being able to refurbish it. Lovely (regular) and regal (pink) are some of my favorites. :,)

* More flower types, including the return of violets. I also really want pink pansies (as a hybrid).

* Being able to buy materials at Nook's.

* The island is nice, but I want a town back. I feel like the island can restrict certain things (e.g. getting Nookington's/TNT Emporium). I love the thought of starting out in a run down, weeded town with only a villager or two, but as time goes on, it becomes a thriving paradise.

I thought about some more stuff:

* I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but we NEED a DND sign (or a lock or something) for our houses. I wanna actually do **** in my house without getting an intrusion. This can be a nice feature, don't get me wrong, but there should be a way to toggle them on and off, so you do not have to worry about them when you just want to relax while doing business in your house (placing furniture, managing storage, etc.).

* Coelacanths should come out in the snow again, like in NH'S predecessors

* More fruits, including ones that grow on bushes, vines, etc.

* More personalities and species.

* Having some freedom about how few or how many villagers you want in your town.

* I know this isn't a big deal to normal people, but as an astronomy nerd, I would really appreciate for the moonrise/moonset schedule to align with real life. I appreciate that the phases align with real life, but I would love a more accurate depiction of the moonrise/moonset schedule. In the game, the moon always rises at around sunset, and sets around sunrise. Contrary to popular belief, this isn't always the case with the moon. In reality, the moonrise/moonset schedule is always changing, depending on the phase. The moon is only in opposition to the sun when it is full. However, New Moons rise and set around the same time the sun does. First Quarters rise at noon and set at midnight. Third Quarters rise at midnight and set at noon. I would love to see the moonrise/moonset schedule to be like in real life, rather than always being opposite to the sun, regardless of its phase. :,)

Sorry for the ramble...I just love astronomy so much :,)

• Love
Reactions: Bui
Just a better progression. Unlocking stuff every 30 days of playing was much more fun in New Leaf.

Reactions: Bui
More furniture, more things to do overall, QOL stuff for what is there, more multiplayer minigames

Edit: Oh yeah...and villagers that don't feel so flat and boring. I really would like dialogue progression like in the original game cube title.

What species would you want to be?
i would be a deer! i made my own villager character like that ages ago. but to be honest it would be super exciting if they added new species to the game, like bats, or ferrets, or something. so maybe that's not ALL I was hoping for in the end haha

i think that it wouldn't be too difficult to do something like this with how far custom designs have gotten, not that i really expect them to let you have an entirely custom texture or model (sounds like a pain in the butt, for both players and developers) but you could have templates for colors and patterns, and maybe some 3d parts like how deer villagers all have different horns that allow them to resemble different species.

Also, we need a way to specifically track down villagers. I can’t tell you how frustrating it is when the villager isn’t either in their house, or roaming around town. This is an issue both in New Leaf and in New Horizons. There’s times where I will literally look anywhere a villager would be in New Leaf and I wouldn’t be able to find them. I would have to save and quit, only to log right back on, just to shuffle the villagers around. Sure, this may not seem like a big deal, but it’s just frustrating that we have to resort to stuff like this, one there should be better ways to just find a villager

Hell, I’ve read stories of people, literally looking anywhere and everywhere a villager possibly can be, and the villager would be nowhere to be found. I myself have been there. It drives me insane. (this goes for New Leaf)

Sure, the megaphone in New Leaf can help…if they are outside, but it really doesn’t do jack if they aren’t even outside to begin with.

As for New Horizons, I remember someone on here said they spent 20 minutes looking for a villager then they finally found them in the museum (I believe this was in a New Horizons). I remember before New Horizons even came out, I was hoping for some sort of feature where we could track villagers down and get told their specific location, but unfortunately that never happened.

For me, finding villagers is slightly less frustrating in New Horizons then it is in New Leaf, but it can still be a pain. ._.

I feel like their signs on their doors should tell us specifically where they are (e.g. outside, café, bug exhibit, [VILLAGER NAME]’s house, etc.) - there are other methods of this, but since the signs have been a thing for every animal crossing game, I think they should use them to a better advantage, and have them be more specific about the places where they may be.

Also, we need a way to specifically track down villagers. I can’t tell you how frustrating it is when the villager isn’t either in their house, or roaming around town.
that's very true and kinda crazy you can't do that yet considering there's a cell phone item that both you, villagers and special characters all have, and you could call someone to ask where they're at, in theory. i don't play new horizons anymore, i only did for a very short time, so im mostly going off the information you provided

very long ramble incoming, but...

Once again!

I generally don't want the game to treat NH as an unqualified success and just go "hey, it's NH again with slightly more content!" (especially given NH's assets are probably going to be used for the next couple of games, due to the sheer amount of stuff that needs to exist in an Animal Crossing game) If it's just like NH again, there's no real point in making it (as the Switch's successor is most likely going to be backwards compatible, it's just going to end up feeling like Splatoon 3 does to Splatoon 2), and I'd be especially if they listen to the fans and did all of those QOL things that people wanted, regardless of whether they're good for Animal Crossing or not (spoiler: a lot of them aren't because they take away interactions from NPCs further or streamline the game to the point you're barely playing it and a lot of the feeling of "slow life" has been taken away, and they were right to not implement a good portion of them)",

also generally don't want them to go "NH was A Bad Idea, screw the many millions of people who bought an AC game for the first time because of it because hey, our Core Fans said it was Irredeemably Bad because we did a load of things they wanted that have a load of drawbacks that people never thought about, here's NL Again Forever (to the point where NL being meant to shake up the formula has been long-forgotten, and the series becomes stale and repetitive again to the point where people get fed up of it, the games start selling really badly and there's no longer any Animal Crossing as a result)".

However, I don't really think there's much else you can do with customisation aside from stuff that's just awful like biomes (a good portion of the appeal of AC is watching the seasons change in real-time, getting rid of that to appease a portion of the audience who doesn't want that would be a poor idea imo) or desperate changes of setting like a city, a cruise ship or space (Stop. Actually think about what you've just said and how stupid it is.). I like the customisation element as a way of enhancing the setting and expressing my own tastes and personality, but I also feel as if it undermines the whole setting of the game when you're turning your village into a desert or a theme park, and to some extent I'm fed up with having Absolute Power Over Everything to stop me being inconvenienced (because to some extent, Animal Crossing shouldn't always be convenient! It's a life sim, and life is often inconvenient! Shops close at night! People move out of their own accord! Flowers die!); and in general I think it also ends up causing the villagers to suffer as they end up being subservient to you, and a good portion of their dialogue has to reflect that (although I also think the dialogue's suffered because of Nintendo not wanting massive amounts of time between each region's release and the increase of personalities and contextual dialogue)...

...but I don't think going back to the formula of the 00s games without a new twist on it is a good idea either. Even by the third game using it they were just going "here's a city where you can shop in, that's it, that's what's new" and they were right to try and do something noticeably new instead of just iterating on the last game. For all of my bemoaning you've got too much control over literally everything, I'm also the guy who's also spent countless hours resetting for specific villagers, grass patterns, native fruit, and gate/train station designs, so I'm very clearly at least partially to blame for Animal Crossing going the way it has, and I do benefit from this approach. I'd much rather actually play Animal Crossing at this point as opposed to keep resetting endlessly for hours on end for my perfect town at this point, because the quest for perfection is ultimately tedious, and when you're seeing lots of people actually play the game on social media, going through the same process again and again just so I get Chow and cherries and a green train station and triangle grass just makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

It's hard, because to me there's no clear direction they could go in that'd make me happy. In general I'm not really sure what I want exactly, because whenever I make a list of bullet points of what I want it ends up just being a slight modernisation of the original game with a city attached to it rather than The Bold Future Of Animal Crossing with Fresh New Ideas, and again I keep asking myself "but what's next after that?"

I don't think chucking every game into a blender is going to work, either. You end up with a game that incorporates bits of something but never manages to fully recapture the vibe of the original, and I think the last few AC games are all guilty of this to some extent. I don't want "everything the previous game had, AND MORE!" if it's the only thing being offered, because honestly? If you've got too much stuff going on, something somewhere's going to suffer. I want something new, yet also something familiar, and that's a tough balancing act imo.

At this point, I could see the game being announced with the Switch's successor sometime early next year. At the very latest, sometime in early 2025. This time around we've had no spinoffs whatsoever because the AC leads haven't had to spin their wheels until the Switch happened, or supervise making a mobile game or Animal Crossing's presence in Smash Ultimate (seriously, just go on Mobygames and look at the original game supervisors, a good portion of them are people who've worked on AC at some point), so it's probably going to happen a couple of years sooner than NH did, unless they decide to go "actually, no updates, let's just release this in late 2026 or even early 2027 and have another 7 year gap between entries, because it's still the first few years of this console's lifespan and it's still got time to be an evergreen seller" (imo this ultimately depends on if Nintendo's ongoing staff expansion is just a replacement for using contract companies or not, because if it IS then yeah, we're still very much in update town... and even then, it's also dependent on stuff like "how powerful is the Swuccessor going to be compared to the OG Switch, and therefore how much time and how much staff is something going to take to develop for it?" and "are live service games still a thing that people play in 2025?"), but in general I think it's coming soon. The announcement of AC Lego and the fact that the Switch is gearing up for the end of its life only enhances that feeling.

I already gave my wants for the next game earlier in the thread, but that post was more about me wanting more quality of life stuff. The ultimate Animal Crossing game, for me, would be a SimCity-type game, in which Nintendo can take the City Folk concept and expand on it in much greater detail. It doesn't have to be all-out city building, but rather, create good-looking towns using elements from most of the released games combined, plus HHD/HHP. I've been wanting a mainstream game for so long where you can take the facilities from the Happy Home games and put them in your own town, plus other things you can do inside them.

Here's a few major details on what exactly I'm talking about:
  • You start off as a newly-incumbent mayor in a run-down town. Using a combination of the DIY system in New Horizons and the usual task of building reputation with villagers, your main duty would be to build the town back up to a beautiful state. Whether that be by moving/upgrading/enhancing existing buildings, moving in residents, or even having said residents run their own separate little shops as in the Happy Home games, there would be many ways to arrange and decorate the town to best fit a theme or aesthetic, with the shops also serving a purpose. The special characters would, of course, still have their special services, but can be moved in after meeting certain criteria.
    • If this reminds you of anything, it probably does if you watch a lot of home improvement shows, mainly those that focus entirely on fixing up buildings in a small town in the countryside (Home Town & Fixer Upper on HGTV being prime examples). With the DIY system being a thing, that would be the perfect opportunity to utilize it again for not just furniture, but for house construction as well.
  • Instead of getting X fish/bug, delivering packages to X villager, and so on, you could help out your villagers in more ways. For those that run shops, they may request materials they need to create product, and the more materials you give them, the higher of a chance exists for the villagers to turn out useful products you can buy or use. Their materials wouldn't deplete like most games, as the game has to maintain that chill factor of doing things at your own pace. This would definitely help out those like me that struggle with over-collecting materials that I have no idea what to do with.
  • Though Animal Crossing has always stuck with the same frontwards camera angle for being outside, they could change that in the next game. Towns could become even more customizable with the ability to turn buildings in different directions, and collecting bugs would actually become a bit easier to catch as well.
  • Most of the basic terrains would of course remain, such as rivers/oceans, cliffs, inclines and bridges, etc. How those may get utilized in every town, however, may pose a challenge. As towns would be located in landlocked areas, they may have to become arranged like they are in New Leaf. I'm pretty sure methods exist for keeping all terrain types without having them look similar to the older games.
Hopefully I'm making sense and didn't under-explain anything. I typed this up whilst falling half-asleep.

The more I think about it, the more I genuinely believe I'd be happy with a New Leaf remake with the updated graphics, QOL upgrades and decoration options that we got with New Horizons. It's already close to a perfect Animal Crossing game, and with the things that were added in NH it would honestly be great even if they added nothing else. Of course I'd be interested to see where they'd go with a completely new game as well, but NL is good enough that I'd gladly play it again for years if a few changes were made.

I want online minigames back more than anything, I can't believe in the AC game were you have to pay for online there's NOTHING to do online
Of course Gracie, the furniture sets, basic animal crossing stuff
I've also always wanted a return of Celeste's Observatory so so badly
I'd also want more curly hair options, i'm glad they finally added some but there's only really 2 feminine hair options and I don't like either. At least I can choose my skin color now lol
I think a combination of the best parts of each game is a no-brainer

Back