• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you think Happy Home Paradise should have a grading system?

Should there be a grading system in Happy Home Paradise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What if there was a way to turn the grading system on and off because it seems like some people here want it and others, if you can chose if you want to turn it on or off in a settings then everyone can play the way they want to play. Or perhaps difficulty levels for decorating too.
This is why I wish AC in general would let you have "personal settings" of how you want to play the game personally. I know thats a topic for another thread, but its something that could really make for different experiences when playing the game.

The point of the game mode is to try to decorate the way you like and you can put in as much or little effort as you like. A grading system would gamify it to the extent of being annoying and I wouldnt bother with it. Its like the switch hamster game (Djungarian story), I wanted to be able to pet the hamster but its a mini game. Why does everything need a win condition to be interesting?.. I like the chill nonbiri pace of the way it is now. I like that I can "cheese" a build if I am not really feeling it and come back to it later. Why you would want to just play it like that I do not know though, then you might as well not play. Its the same with people who hack in mmos and such. Like why play it at all at that point.

The point of the game mode is to try to decorate the way you like and you can put in as much or little effort as you like. A grading system would gamify it to the extent of being annoying and I wouldnt bother with it. Its like the switch hamster game (Djungarian story), I wanted to be able to pet the hamster but its a mini game. Why does everything need a win condition to be interesting?.. I like the chill nonbiri pace of the way it is now. I like that I can "cheese" a build if I am not really feeling it and come back to it later. Why you would want to just play it like that I do not know though, then you might as well not play. Its the same with people who hack in mmos and such. Like why play it at all at that point.
With all due respect I understand there are people out there who want to express their freedom of making and designing things the way they want, but there is an issue when the game suddenly lets you do things half way and the villager is like happy about it. So its like you can speed your way through Happy Home Paradise doing these bare bones without being told that you did something wrong.

I enjoy the DLC, but a grading system of some kind would make it better in my opinion. To me, building homes for others and not yourself is not about freedom, but about using furniture that the villager likes. That‘s the reason they give you a theme. I sometimes spend almost an hour on designing a home, and get the same reward as someone who just places the items the villager wanted. I would at least like to have a bonus for extra effort.

With all due respect I understand there are people out there who want to express their freedom of making and designing things the way they want, but there is an issue when the game suddenly lets you do things half way and the villager is like happy about it. So its like you can speed your way through Happy Home Paradise doing these bare bones without being told that you did something wrong.
I guess I dont see the problem in that? Some people like minimalistic decor and others like filling rooms with things. So a grading system would only box people in more. Even having to place the 3 items the villager wants can be kinda annoying to me so a grading system with even more demands for 100% completion sounds pretty stressful and annoying to me. I like having more freedom so I can be creative without needing to "optimize" the build based on arbitrary parameters. There are enough games like that out there already and very few like AC where things are more open and you can do what you want and not miss out on anything just because youre not "good enough" or have a different taste than the game wants you to.

I guess I dont see the problem in that? Some people like minimalistic decor and others like filling rooms with things. So a grading system would only box people in more. Even having to place the 3 items the villager wants can be kinda annoying to me so a grading system with even more demands for 100% completion sounds pretty stressful and annoying to me. I like having more freedom so I can be creative without needing to "optimize" the build based on arbitrary parameters. There are enough games like that out there already and very few like AC where things are more open and you can do what you want and not miss out on anything just because youre not "good enough" or have a different taste than the game wants you to.
I suppose if there was a grading system then it would make it more harder to express the things that you wanted to have so I can see why it would not be fun. Overall, I do like Happy Home Paradise and I really love how much effort and design that you can put into it as your own themes, but it still bothers me how you can easily cheese it by doing things half way and still getting rewarded, but I guess thats just how it is.

My problem, I suppose, with the lack of grading system probably has more to do with the thematic incoherence of its omission (or the lack of reasonable substitute) than anything. Some responses I've seen in this thread lean heavily on the idea that the game is intended to be a free expression of creativity, and I think that holds water for the main game. I think that's a valid enough reason to dislike Isabelle's island ratings system. But Happy Home Paradise is introduced rather upfront as a challenge designed to test your abilities to design homes based on other villagers' preferences. The game should allow you a place to freely design homes and interact with villagers at your own leisure as well (which is arguably what Harv's photo studio is, although that has its share of limitations), but I can't help but find it a tad underwhelming when the game presents you with a task only for it to not actually matter as long as I have three pre-packaged things shoehorned into the design.

I think Pocket Camp's Happy Home Academy was on the right track, though a long way from actually there. In that, you have two or three furniture choices that essentially guarantee a passing grade, but if you lack the necessary furniture, you can substitute it for something that the villager might like based on their personality. Granted, the way it's implemented is rather simplistic. Jock villager will probably like anything related to sports. That sort of logic. But I think if handled with care, it could be an fun and interesting side game and provide an opportunity to create unique interactions with villagers outside your island.

But of course, this is a Nintendo game, so that's never going to happen.

Last edited:
I voted for No, but there are some good arguments from the OP that have been made on the other side.

I voted yes, because I think it somewhat already has one. Happy Home Paradise is a bit more complicated than people think. At first glance it looks like you can just cheese your way through, but after a while it becomes apparent that it you want to unlock better items and rewards, you're going to have to put in a bit of work.

For me, I feel like having a grading system would make the game feel too restrictive, I enjoy being able to interpret the villagers prompts in ways that they may not have directly meant, so being able to just go off a prompt gives me more creative freedom.
Also, I feel that being able to complete villager houses cheaply just allows people to play how they want: I make really elaborate houses and I put a lot of time into them, because I enjoy doing it, whereas people who don't enjoy that as much/just are doing a couple houses to get some poki quickly are able to do that.

Maybe, but then again the island has a grading system that can be abused. How many times have you heard about people working hard on amazing islands and only getting 4 stars and someone else exploiting the mechanics or just dumping garbage everywhere and getting 5 stars?

In theory I think it could work, but at the same time it would limit people with their creativity like it does when Isabelle tells you that you need to make your island in such a way even though the premise of NH is design your way.

Maybe, but then again the island has a grading system that can be abused. How many times have you heard about people working hard on amazing islands and only getting 4 stars and someone else exploiting the mechanics or just dumping garbage everywhere and getting 5 stars?

In theory I think it could work, but at the same time it would limit people with their creativity like it does when Isabelle tells you that you need to make your island in such a way even though the premise of NH is design your way.
Yeah if it worked similar to Isabelle's rating then I can see it being annoying, but then again if you were to do a really good job you should be rewarded. Well technically we are rewarded in HHP because your earing for Poki does increase the more homes you do and of course the whole ranking system that tells you what type of designer you are. The only problem is I wish I can see my progress to see how well I'm doing.

I would want a way to turn it off if you wanted. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a challenge but otherwise, I just want to play around with no pressure.

Yeah, I kinda agree with how Isabelle's 5 star grading system doesn't really give credit to all stunning islands. A bot might not pick up on the reason why you did something. For example, you might have a wall covered in customized glow in the dark stickers to make a window, but the AI might just see it as a cluttered wall and knock your points down, similar to "oh no you have too many trees!" or "oh no your island is too cluttered!"

I wouldn't mind something like this, but have it work in a way that won't restrict people who want full freedom. For example, when you pick an item that's not on the villager's order list, but is still an item they love, have that count as a point. Enough points and you get extra poki, or perhaps a rare item not obtainable any other way.

It can still be abused, but if someone goes through the hassle of making sure everything is perfect for that villager, there's a bonus. I know if you work for a certain amount of time you get additional dialogue and one of the walls/floors/rugs from their room, but something a bit more special could be a better incentive.

I agree with the OP. I was also disappointed and left wanting when I realized that villagers were happy with their homes regardless of how much or how little effort you put forth. A grading system would have added some fun challenge to it all.

However, I also understand a bit on why they left it as a sandbox building mode. There is a huge range of ages that play this game and it would have been a little sad for small children (or those who arent as experienced with decorating) to consistently get poorer ratings vs. more advanced decorators.

Also, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, afterall, and no one would be too pleased to spend an hour + making what they feel is an absolutely gorgeous home, only for the game to say it's a failure because it didn't meet some invisible ranking requirements

I think I would like a sort of grading system. Being able to choose a harder level would be ideal, as I do understand that for many this is just a creative and relaxing game, and the age span of people playing it makes me understand their choice. However, I also find it less fun to play because it is way too easy. Why didn`t they just add a harder level that you can choose, with the same requirements for your house at your island? I enjoy getting different points for my ability to use matching furniture, matching colors etc. Having the customers be just happy with literally anything you do - as long as you place their main items - is a bit disappointing.
That being said, I do love the game addition and being able to "go to work" every day and design different ideas is still fun in itself. Love the tropical vibe and the happy workplace. :)

Yes I would have liked some sort of grading system. For me, there's just no reason to play. If say, I made someone a home and scored 70%, then by chatting to them discovered some more of their likes and dislikes, it would be a challenge to add in items that would increase my score. I'd also like them to come back to me with new requests, tell me they want blue walls or lots of plants or something. I feel as if I've played the DLC purely to unlock the new skills and that's it. There's not even any real need to make houses for Poki as you can exchange Bells. I feel it's just missing some sort of goal. Unless you really love designing hundreds of homes one after another, there's no real incentive.

Back