• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you think Happy Home Paradise should have a grading system?

Should there be a grading system in Happy Home Paradise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VanitasFan26

I'm just a ghost.
Bells
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
This has been bothering me for quite some time. Ever since Happy Home Paradise came out I've realized that you can easily cheese your way by finishing a villager's home by giving them what they asked for and then say you're done even though you barely didn't do much inside the home. I realize this after restarting my 2nd island that I can do this for a lot of times. Now I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand it does help speed through the process of getting more villagers to show up at the resort and to get more items in your catalog, but on the other hand it kinda makes decorating homes pointless since all the villager wants are the items that they see in their vision, but anything else they don't seem to care about.

Now I know there is an argument to be made that they did this so we can do "whatever we want" but the thing is when there is like too much freedom and no real way of knowing how well your doing it kinda ruins the feeling of being accomplished. The point I'm trying to say is Happy Home Paradise feels "too easy" when you just do things half way and the villager doesn't seem to care how well the home is as long as they have the items they wanted to see. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I wish there was a grading system. What do you guys think?

Please Note: This thread is not meant to hate on the game or try to tell others how to feel or think of the game this is just my own opinions and its fine to disagree, I am grateful that Nintendo has improved the game but there are some things that still bother me. I just wanna make that very clear:

Last edited:
I don't really care about Happy Home Paradise that much. I just design homes to get the furniture exclusive to/more easily obtainable via the DLC and then never really go back to it. A grading system would just hinder that and turn me off from playing it completely. I'm not too big on interior design tbh.

I don't think a system could subjectively judge any layout. But player input could.

I don't really care about Happy Home Paradise that much. I just design homes to get the furniture exclusive to/more easily obtainable via the DLC and then never really go back to it. A grading system would just hinder that and turn me off from playing it completely. I'm not too big on interior design tbh.
To be fair Happy Home Designer was like that also and I just realized it too did the same thing where if you put items that the villagers asked for then you're done. I would've thought they would improve that but as it turns out they didn't which was a shock to me when I went back replayed it recently. I do see what you're saying that if there was a grading system it could slow down process of getting things faster.

No. I already dislike and have many issues with Isabelle’s island grading system. I don’t think adding more grading systems is necessary. This game is supposed to be your island, your way. I don’t get off of Isabelle telling me my island is five stars. I’d rather have an island I’m satisfied with that’s a three star island rather than one Isabelle thinks is five stars. The same goes with Happy Home Paradise. No grading system is necessary.

i haven’t designed a home in quite a while due to burnout + not really playing the game in general, but i lowkey feel like a grading system would further hinder my motivation to design vacation homes. i’ve never been the greatest at interior/exterior and yard design and already judge everything that i do design harshly, hence the lack of motivation and why i’m not rushing to get back into the decorating part of hhp, so the last thing i really want is the game judging what i create as well lol.

I think it'd be cool if they brought Lyle back to "grade" the homes we design. It would be too difficult I think for the game to grade based solely on looks, but if they brought back something like the trends from New Leaf it could maybe work. Like in NL when all the furniture series/sets/items were classified under a certain theme or category (Trendy, Rustic, Quirky, etc.) and then Lyle grades you on how well you did by adhering to the theme :unsure: Color scheme challenges could be interesting too but not very inclusive of those who are color blind!

This is something I've thought about too! On the one hand, I don't want to limit my design choices, but on the other hand, I would love to have someone from HHP come and grade the house! 😊 I mean, they grade the house on our home island, right?

I'm not sure how the system would have worked though. Generally when I design homes in game, I will look up the villager's ACNH favourite colour and hobby, and then I will work around that and the prompt they've given me. I also pay attention to how they react when I place an item. I'll try different items until I see whether they prefer something else. So I wonder if the system could work based on aspects like favourite colour, how much of their favourite furniture is used, etc.

I don't really mind not having a grading system though; I like designing houses for villagers I wouldn't usually invite to my island! 😊🌟

I would not want that, mainly because sticking to the given theme can be limiting enough (looking at you, Lionel).

I'm still salty that my home keeps getting critiqued every week by the HHA, even though I maxed out and got all the trophies. I don't want that pressure following me to villager island homes, as well.

Personally I had to play though happy home designer 4 times so that each of my characters could have the soundscapes I wanted in their houses. I "designed" villagers houses 160 times and I'm really glad that all it took was putting in 2-3 pieces of furniture in each house. Each character gets their own separate HHP island. The only island I actually tried to make nice houses on was the first.
I appreciated that I didn't soil my first island with the rest of the garbage houses, but I still wish unlocking the features for one character on the island unlocked it for everyone.
So as it is, it's better that they're not too picky, but if they just let you use all of the unlocks on every character then I wouldn't mind a grading system.

It could be a cool feature to have in the DLC, but at the same time I kinda enjoy the freedom of been able to do whatever. Well within the request of course. But I usually leave the house unfinished the first time and then come back to it so I don't have to use the requested items and do whatever I want.

I don't know if I would enjoy been judged every time I finish a house though. If I'm happy with it, that's good enough for me.

I don't think it does, but I voted yes anyway. Being graded on something strangely can give one motivation to do better.

Unless it is school, then its just stressful.

If HHP had a grading system my grades would be terrible. But it would probably inspire me to try harder. I’ve actually been wanting to improve my own house but I’ve been discouraged by the fact that you almost immediately get interrupted by villagers visiting when you’re at home. I wish there was a “not at home” mode we could use to get them to go away quickly like back in the Victorian era when people’s butlers we’re allowed to lie and say you weren’t at home even when you were.

No. HHP is only fun the first few houses and then it starts to feel like work (lolll makes sense for Nintendo to call it work I guess). The only reason I got it was to get the stuff easily and to have the features carried over to my island (redesigning villager houses, polishing effects etc.).

Too much freedom in a build your own place to live game?

I don't want to see the exact same items in every single home because the game thinks they're the "best." I want to see people's creative ideas. Back in Happy Home Designer I came across some very unique and fun interpretations of simple themes that a grading system would never allow.

There's no way to know how well you're doing because the distinction between "good" and "bad" doesn't exist. It's all up to you.

The HHA getting their pants in a twist over my one "badly" placed furniture item every other week is silly enough.

I'm split! I think it would be good and bad both ways :( I always wanted a grading system in HHD but since HHP has so many more ideas ? it feels wrong to grade you when you have your own designs now since it is so much more based on your creativity. It feels like HHD kind of just gave you the items for you to place but now since the items have so many uses its different. I think overall TO ME I would like the grading system if we had one. I think for everyone though we should not have one. It kind of takes away from your creativity.

Yes, but I think it should just be used as a way to rate your decorating skills. It shouldn’t be something that overly impacts gameplay, like making you start the build over if you score badly.

I've seen the replies and it seems pretty mixed. With all due respect I understand there are people out there who want to express their freedom of making and designing things the way they want, but there is an issue when the game suddenly lets you do things half way and the villager is like happy about it. So its like you can speed your way through Happy Home Paradise doing these bare bones without being told that you did something wrong.

The only restriction that I found from doing a lot testing is that villagers would call you out if you didn't place the items that they wanted to see and they would also call you out if you didn't do the interior which is funny because I've seen villagers who say they want a vacation home where they would spend "alot of time outside" so I don't get the logic behind that. I suppose if there was a grading system then it would make it more harder to express the things that you wanted to have so I can see why it would not be fun.

Overall, I do like Happy Home Paradise and I really love how much effort and design that you can put into it as your own themes, but it still bothers me how you can easily cheese it by doing things half way and still getting rewarded, but I guess thats just how it is.

What if there was a way to turn the grading system on and off because it seems like some people here want it and others, if you can chose if you want to turn it on or off in a settings then everyone can play the way they want to play. Or perhaps difficulty levels for decorating too.

Back