• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

do you read text in someone's voice?

do you?

• yes, I do read text with a voice in my head.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • no, I just read it and that's it.

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • other? (explain)

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
For instance, when I read Oblivia’s messages, she doesn’t sound like some high school or college student like she does in reality, and imagine hearing and older woman’s voice from a fantasy movie.
that's actually very interesting, I wonder what Oblivia thinks abt that hehe

I read very quickly so I don’t actually hear the words in my head. I just…..see them and absorb their meaning, I guess. The only exception is something like a joke or meme, or maybe a poem where the rhythm and sound of the words is part of the enjoyment. I have to consciously slow myself down to “hear” while reading.

If I'm reading a book and characters are talking, then I can come up with distinct voices from them to make it feel more alive. It takes an active intention to do so though, as by default I just read dialogue in my normal internal brain voice.

Im glad om not the only one who reads text in voice xD Esspecially in games I like to mimic voices like AC, Stardew, Danganronpa, Pokemon. Esspecially if its an annoying character, or super smart character. Then i always do.

I do it with almost everything I read, when I'm not reading it out loud.
But for the voices, I can't really describe it (sometimes it's just my voice). But it's there. lol

Yes I do, and the voice changes depending on what I'm reading. If I'm reading a text sent to me, I read it in the sender's voice. If I'm reading a book, I read it in my Mom's voice. I have no idea why, but she did read to me a lot as a kid, so that could be the reason. If I'm reading a post/message on the internet, I usually just read it in my voice.
However, if it was made by staff member/authority figure on said site, I read it in my voice, but in a calmer, more professional-sounding tone, if that makes any sense.

I think most of the time I read text in my voice or at least what I perceive my voice to be, but sometimes things get weird and I start reading text in the voice of someone else, like if I recently watched a stream I might start hearing the streamers' voice narrating the text. I can read text in my husband's voice or most of my family members' voices if I concentrate!

Nah, I tend to have trouble imagining someone's voice in general.

No. I wish that I could do that but it’s too hard to concentrate and keep it up. I just hear my voice when I read.

No, I don't really hear any voice when I read. Even if I'm repeating text in my head or planning out what I'm going to say, I don't hear it in a voice, they're just words with no tone...if that makes any sense lol

there’s definitely some kind of voice when i read things in my head, but i couldn’t explain it. if i’m reading a book and i’m particularly immersed i’ll hear different voices, but otherwise it’s just the same voice for everything i read.

No, unless I am reading Popple's dialogue in Mario & Luigi RPG. Then I read it in Wayne Knight's voice.

This is actually really funny to me as I was talking about this with my friends last week! 😅

I always read texts in the person's voice that sends them, unless its like a verification code or something. Its so funny but at the same time it makes total sense to me, I am a very social person and I don't enjoy texting conversations(?) For example, I can send a text to spread an update or maybe some photos but when people have the ability to call I always prefer that. I am the only person who still calls people just to talk, my friends are like "WHATS WRONG???" and I am like oh I just wanted to talk haha. 🥰💚🐸🧧

For the most part, no. Most people I talk to online are my online friends, and I have no idea what they sound like. But when I'm talking to people I know personally (like my brothers and school friends), I read their texts in their voice. So, the answer is yes and no; It just depends on the person.

I only really do it if I'm sarcastically mocking an authority figure or someone that's above me in position. It mostly happens when I'm talking to co-workers or my parents and I complain to them about something the authority figure said that bothered me. Essentially, I imitate them behind their back by raising the pitch of my voice as I'm quoting what they told me earlier. It does sound disrespectful in certain scenarios, but I definitely don't do it in front of my boss if it's work related or vice versa with my parents if it involves either of them or someone similar.

I've shown to other employees that I've got very sarcastic humor, and I'm quite surprised that most of them accept how I talk. However, there are definitely the few that think I'm plain annoying, and I don't really show off my humor directly in front of them if I gotta talk to them about something.

Back