• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

do you read text in someone's voice?

do you?

• yes, I do read text with a voice in my head.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • no, I just read it and that's it.

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • other? (explain)

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Bells
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
in case the title is a bit confusing, I'll explain it this way. I've heard people say that when they read a message that someone sends them, they read the message in that person's voice. or when they read a book or an article or whatever, they read it in some kind of voice that they imagine in their head.

I personally don't do this, I just read messages and text and that's it. I could imagine reading it in someone's voice, but I have to do it purposefully. otherwise, I just read and process it without a voice in my head.

I read it and that’s it. It seems like more effort than is originally needed to read it in someone’s voice.

I pretty much always do! I even like to imagine voices for characters in stories, or read unvoiced lines in the voice of the character's voice actor if they have one. Even in the cases of articles/posts from people whose voices I don't know, I usually read them in a sort of fairly neutral voice. I think I'd actually have a hard time reading without "hearing" it in some sort of voice.

absolutely. it's not my voice, though. even when i type, or write, i imagine someone speaking it out, just so that it makes "sense." this actually sometimes makes it worse, though, because i speak weird.
the odd thing since it's not "my" voice though is that after watching a movie, playing a game ETC, the voice may change into another voice i've heard a lot. for example, narrators in games. this guy's voice has been my "head voice" for almost a year now (warning for swear words in the video) because of how hooked i am on the game, but also just makes sense given how the game works. also this voice is smooth as butter idk how you cant think of it.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I often end up doing whatever I think their voice sounds like if I don't know if that counts.

I automatically read text in my own voice, but if I’ve been around someone long enough I can read in their voice just for the fun of it.

If I'm reading a story that's based off of a TV show/movie or game or vice versa I subconsciously end up reading it in that character's voice, but if it's just like a random book where I don't have a reference to what the character sounds like I just usually read it in my voice, just the way my brain works lol.

Sorta? There's always a voice when I'm reading and I don't think it's mine. I think it's affected by whatever I've been watching or playing but I don't always recognize it.
It can also just be affected by the person's avatar but that happens very rarely.
Do I dare mention the time I played so much Splatoon 2 that I started reading my own messages in Marie's voice... Yeah, that doesn't even sound possible considering she doesn't speak English, but it still happened.

Edit: Adding onto this, I just went to read a Pokemon announcement and accidentally read it in Ash Ketchum's voice somehow.

Last edited:
No, I just read it. If I ever do read it in a voice its my own and sometimes out loud.

Yes, I read it, imagining a certain voice in my head, even if the voice doesn’t match the person’s actual voice. For instance, when I read Oblivia’s messages, she doesn’t sound like some high school or college student like she does in reality, and imagine hearing and older woman’s voice from a fantasy movie.

Yes, I read it, imagining a certain voice in my head, even if the voice doesn’t match the person’s actual voice. For instance, when I read Oblivia’s messages, she doesn’t sound like some high school or college student like she does in reality, and imagine hearing and older woman’s voice from a fantasy movie.
This is what I do too. Sometimes if its a character with a certain voice actor I’ll hear it in that voice, but 9 times outta 10 its the imaginary voice.

It varies. Sometimes it's in my own voice. If I know someone very well, or if it's a character I know well from something with associated audio, then I read it in their voice. One of my teachers had a really thick accent and his students have told him that even years later they remember hearing their teachings in his specific voice/style of speech :)

sometimes, if i know what the person’s voice sounds like, but for the most part i just read things in my own voice 😅

There's always an inner-voice when I'm reading something, usually borrowed from a voice I'd heard elsewhere. On message boards, it's usually whatever I imagine the person's avatar sounds like. So it's really awkward when Charles Martinet's Mario goes off on long-winded political tangents.

Back