• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you prefer to have one of each personality type on your island?

CometCatcher

Birb will bring you sweet balloons!
Bells
Pink Hybrid Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
Or do you prefer to have one predominant personality type instead? (Ex. > 4-5 smug villagers total).

Asking out of curiosity since I personally like to have at least one of each personality type, but I am contemplating getting three normals total (I love Nana, Molly, and Maple). This would still allow me to have at least one of each personality type, but I'd also like to have as little duplicate personalities as possible. Decisions...

Last edited:
i personally choose villagers based on design, and their personality doesn't factor into the decision at all. as a result, i'd never bother with the "1 of each personality" approach that some people take because i don't find any of the cranky or uchi designs particularly appealing. the personalities i like the most designs from are normal and lazy, which is why my town's population is made up predominantly of the latter. i would have more normals if i could, but my final lineup only includes two. there are also other smugs i like (marshal and o'hare) that i can't take for the same reason, and henry's grown on me so i don't want to replace him with either one. currently, my final lineup is 1 peppy, 1 snooty, 1 smug, 1 jock, 2 normals and 4 lazies.

i personally choose villagers based on design, and their personality doesn't factor into the decision at all. as a result, i'd never bother with the "1 of each personality" approach that some people take because i don't find any of the cranky or uchi designs particularly appealing. the personalities i like the most designs from are normal and lazy, which is why my town's population is made up predominantly of the latter. i would have more normals if i could, but my final lineup only includes two. there are also other smugs i like (marshal and o'hare) that i can't take for the same reason, and henry's grown on me so i don't want to replace him with either one. currently, my final lineup is 1 peppy, 1 snooty, 1 smug, 1 jock, 2 normals and 4 lazies.

Oh, interesting! Some of the cranky designs do appeal to me (like Avery's), but I agree with you, none of the uchi ones are very appealing (plus there's such a limited pool to choose from), but it is also one of my favorite personalities, so I resolved to have at least one on my island, haha!

Last edited:
I also prefer to choose design > having at least 1 of every personality, but with limits. There's so much repetitive dialogue in this game that having 3+ of any one personality type is a bit much for me, so I try my best to avoid it. My favorite designs tend to be Normals and Snootys; I think my favorite personalities are Crankies and Normals. And Uchis. I don't really like Jocks, so I let Eugene kick Iggly off my island and now I have a Smug instead which is a breath of fresh air since I haven't had a Smug on my island since my very first campsite villager left.

Oh, interesting! Some of the Cranky designs do appeal to me (like Avery's), but I agree with you, none of the Uchi ones are very appealing (plus there's such a limited pool to choose from), but it is also one of my favorite personalities, so I resolved to have at least one on my island, haha!

neither of my NL towns involve uchis or crankies either lol. my original town is 1 snooty, 1 peppy, 1 smug, 3 normals and 4 lazies, and my second is 1 smug, 1 peppy, 1 jock, 2 snooties, 2 lazies and 3 normals.

In the beginning I had at least one of each personality on both of my islands. Now I just go with who I like and that’s how I ended up with 5 lazy villagers on my main island. I will be switching out two of them.
My main island has 5 lazy, 1 jock, 1 normal, 1 snooty, 1 cranky, 1 sisterly
My second island has more variety
Second island: 3 jock, 2 peppy , 2 jock , 1 snooty , 1 normal , 1 lazy.

I personally wish the games would restrict villager count to the amount of personalities there are. Wild World came close to that, but it, just as every game before or after it, forced the player to have more than one villager of a particular personality that they probably didn't care for. I wish that they stuck with the 8-villager limit in subsequent games. Eight personalities=eight villagers in an island > less repetitive dialogue.

Last edited:
I just invite whoever I want. Majority of my favorites are either cranky, jock or lazy.

Currently, I happen to have all personalities on my island because of the new villagers. Otherwise, I'd probably only have 2 female villagers.

When I started playing, I had at least one of each personality. The more I played, the more I realized that some personalities were wearing thin on me.

Now I have 3 smug, 2 lazy, 2 cranky, 1 uchi, 1 normal and 1 peppy. Not a permanent arrangement at all. If I feel like a change, I will invite a snooty or sporty type to stay on my island for a little while.

I personally wish the games would restrict villager count to the amount of personalities they are. Wild World came close to that, but it, just as every game before or after it, forced the player to have more one than villager of particular personality that they probably didn't care. I wish that they stuck with the 8-villager limit in subsequent games. Eight personalities=eight villagers in an island > less repetitive dialogue.

As fun as it is to have extra villagers, something about just having 8 villagers appeals to me too. I don't want to tire of a certain type's dialogue as quickly.

I'm also with others about wanting to avoid repetitive dialogue; that's the main reason why I try to have at least one of every type. It does make sense why people would prioritize designs first and foremost; in most every personality type I can find at least one design I like the best, though. (Forgot to mention current set-up is 2 normal, 2 lazy, 1 cranky, 1 uchi, 1 peppy, 1 snooty, 1 smug, 1 jock).

If its by personality, then yes

I feel like my island needs one of every personality type for balance, sub-types don't matter sometimes.

when i created my first dream villagers list prior to the game’s release, i made sure that i had every personality accounted for, but now i don’t really care. a villager’s design and any past experiences i’ve had with them are more important to me when choosing my villagers, so i tend to ignore the other factors (personality, species, gender, etc).

my current villager lineup isn’t permanent, but right now i have 3 normals, 2 peppies, 1 snooty, 1 uchi, 1 lazy, 1 cranky and 1 smug. i’ve been trying to diversify my lineup by inviting more males and less normals and peppies, but i don’t really care if i’m missing any personalities or have too many of one in the long run.

It does make sense why people would prioritize designs first and foremost; in most every personality type I can find at least one design I like the best, though. (Forgot to mention current set-up is 2 normal, 2 lazy, 1 cranky, 1 uchi, 1 peppy, 1 snooty, 1 smug, 1 jock).
With loads and loads of characters, each being relegated to one of eight templates, in the end, it really boils down to what most people find aesthetically pleasing that counts, and I'm guilty when it comes to seeing certain villagers and thinking in the back of my mind: "ew".

My villagers were actually chosen based on color scheme and species. I have two wolves to be the leaders of the pack, along with eight dogs. They all follow an orange-brown color scheme. I have a picture here for reference:
852A7826-6489-4163-B956-A6248D051669.jpeg

I love all of my villagers. I haven’t been more fond of a group of characters since the Totodile evolution line, lmao. Mac, Biskit, and Bones are Amiibos.

I usually try and have every personality at least once, but I have made exceptions before with lazies because as a night owl, I hated coming home from work and having them be asleep every time when I started up the game for the first time, though fortunately the HHP update fixed that for me. One thing I also build my island around are personality sub-types, so I’ll have different sub-types for my two or three duplicate personalities so they can have some noticeable variety.

I prefer 1 of each type for the variety and I think it worked out in the end because it forced me to get villagers I might not have initially wanted had there not been different personality types but have grown to love like Agnes and Rasher.

I like to keep at least one of each personality to keep things even, and then two extras. Then I like to choose from design or favorites.

I definitely try to keep my personalities varied. Of course, with the 10-neighbor cap, it's impossible not to have at least two duplicates! At the moment I've got two normal and two snooty.

I typically go through the list of each type and pick the most fashionable/cute ones of each, natch, haha.

Not really. In the early days I did just to get all the reactions. I've played since the gamecube version so i have long disliked the snooty personality. This time around I have liked most of them I guess because nintendo made them less rude. Normals, sisterly and crankies are my faves for personalities but I don't choose villagers based on that. It's just who I like. Sometimes it's cause they are cute and sometimes they just grow on you. Shep was a random move in in nl. I had never heard of him before but I fell in love with him. I have his amiibo and will be moving him in soon. My least fave personality id peppy because its all pop star all the time.

Back