• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you fully upgrade your house?

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
I personally don’t. I’m a minimalist in real life, so having that much space ends up with most of it being unused. I normally just stop at the upstairs and the basement. I don’t need to extra rooms. Not to mention how annoying it is to interior design a room with three gaping holes in the wall.

Do you fully upgrade for completions sake or no?

Last edited:
Yes! Decorating is overwhelming for me and it’d probably be a little less so if I didn’t fully upgrade my house, but as a completionist, I feel incomplete if I don’t lol. I also just like to have my house fully upgraded, especially if doing so comes with perks (ex. the theme challenges and gold house exterior parts in New Leaf, extra storage space in New Horizons etc).

I always upgrade my house fully regardless of game. It shows completion and gives me more room to decorate with.

I always do for the extra storage and the rooms so that I can have different themed rooms.

In real life I like to have few things that I consider important to me. I don't think I'm a minimalist because I like collecting books and comics(like manga) and in general if I could I would spend more on the things I love, but I try to maintain a balance and only have what I consider important to me because it really stresses me out to keep things that I don't really need .
But I must admit that minimalist homes bring me a lot of peace of mind, perhaps because I grew up in a house full of superfluous things in my opinion and that's why I get anxious about being surrounded by useless stuff.
Whereas in video games I tend to be a perfectionist(as in many areas of life, unfortunately), I like to complete things, and in Animal Crossing completing houses is one of the main objectives. In my mind there is a clear line that separates reality and fiction, so in fiction I can feel comfortable with most of the things that bother me in real life. I love expanding houses to the max and having space to decorate them with rare furniture that I like to display for my personal satisfaction LOL And above all I like to express my personality precisely because in reality I don't have much opportunity to do so💖

Only if I somehow get the bells. It can be really hard for me, especially if I stop enjoying playing. That's what happened with New Horizons...

No, in my first NL town I never had a basement, and in my current town I’m leaving some rooms smaller and I’m probably not going to add a back room. I kinda like decorating smaller rooms.

• ⏪
Reactions: Doo
I had a fully upgraded house in my first NL town and that's it. I'll probably get around to it eventually in NH but I'm in no hurry. In my current NL town, I have no intention of doing that, I've specifically aimed for house layouts/expansions to match specific styles in my characters' houses

I'm a bit of a completionist, so I always make sure my house has all the rooms. I get more creative freedom from them, plus the extra storage is perfect for someone like me who hoards a ton of materials, tools, recipes, furniture, clothes, and critters.

Yes, unless it's a side character which I rarely have. I always like to have the maximum space for decorating on my main profile. I do like to take my time with it though, because I hate having empty rooms. I usually try to fill out the last room and get an idea of what I want in the next one before upgrading.

depends. i fully upgrade my main characters house, but on my current nh island i left my other account with only one extra room because i wanted to use the space like a café :>

I always fully upgrade my house. I do so because I also want to fully upgrade my storage because I tend to collect a lot of things. Having extra rooms also helps with the item problem I always seem to face. I also feel like that my house is "incomplete" if I don't fully upgrade so it gives me a peace of mind when I play.

i do!! i love having tons of stuff in my house and i have a lot of ideas for rooms too so i upgrade it as much as i can

yes, I always upgrade to the max. I like to have as much storage and max space as possible. I love the extra storage space, but hate having to come up with how to decorate each extra room lol. decorating has never been my strongest skill set so I kinda just throw whatever looks nice to me together, wherever it fits or if I get lazy I’ll just leave the room empty and throw everything in storage.

My main character I did; I don’t know I did with my alts (they help me with storing items). 🤔 I like having as much room to decorate as possible since I really love to decorate a lot.

For some reason I didn't fully upgrade my house in New Leaf. I did fully upgrade in New Horizons just so I wouldn't have debt and I could use the money to buy cute clothes haha

The interior decorating aspect is one of the most important and main draws of the series for me, so yes, I absolutely always fully upgrade the houses. It grants me the maximum amount of space to design rooms. I was very disappointed with the changes in New Horizons, with the tiny back and side rooms and the long, awkward basement and second floor despite them being fully expanded. Hopefully they return to a uniformly big size, the same size as the fully expanded main room, in the next Animal Crossing game. It's tragic that we can finally get rid of the windows in this game, and add things like walls and sub-rooms with the walls we unlock from Happy Home Paradise, but can't really fully take advantage of that on our own islands. Give me the 10x10 rooms that the villagers get at Happy Home Paradise, Nintendo, please.

Look, I need the storage space desperately. I hoard items and if I can fit some of them in my house all the better. As it stands, my house is fully upgraded and I'm always shuffling my rooms around. I only have 20 spaces left in my storage though and I need to do something about that ^.^''

Back