• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you forget to save or how offten do you save your game?

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Me? I forget to. i always turn off Auto save and I was playing Arceus, working on the Kricitot entry. Finished it, gained another star.

When I accedently evolved my shinx before finishing a limit. So I closed the game and realized I had to grind up the krickitot entry again when I got back on. Cause I forgot to save.

So anyway, how often do you save your game? Or do you prefer auto save. I personally dislike autosave

Last edited:
For any Pokémon game, I hate autosave. I accidently evolved my Croconaw so many times. I ended up having to ask someone here for an Everstone, lmao. I'll take the chance that I forget to save over having autosave ruin something for me.

Last edited:
No I does always save my game whenever there is something big in a game happening or if something in my life happens I have to save my game and then close it. Thank goodness in games like Pokemon you can save whenever you want by opening up the menu and choosing "save" whereas back in the old days of gaming you had to go to a "Save Point" just to save it was such an annoying thing in my opinion. I know Auto-Save exists these days but even sometimes it doesn't always save your process the way you wanted it too.

I've ALWAYS save even if autosave it's ON, I've had some lost progress when I first started gaming more "seriously" and it devastated me, so I do it as an extra measure every time.

As for how often, depends on the game, but since most games let you save everytime you want nowadays I guess I do it every time I hit what I feel is good progress I guess, or of course right before resting for the day.

I keep autosave on if it’s an option, but even with that I still always save at the end. I’ll be completely honest here: Resetti scared five-year-old me into saving every time lol. That and I just don’t want to risk losing my progress

my memory is often atrocious lol, but i’ve always been good at remembering to save my games! i’m not the best at remembering to save every time something big and/or important happens in a game, but i never stop playing without saving first.

i’m not the biggest fan of autosave— i always feel more secure when i manually save myself lol

I save pretty often out of habit. I don't like autosave though because you can easily make a mistake and not be able to fix it.

I'm normally pretty good at routinely saving, though if I'm heavily invested in a series of smaller tasks, then it's not unheard of for me to forget to save after making incremental progress. It's easier for me to remember to save after defeating a boss or catching a Pokémon, for example, than it is for me to remember to save while level grinding or going through individual rooms in a dungeon.

Provided that it's a game that doesn't have set locations where you go to save, I save my games frequently so as to ensure that if anything happens, I won't lose too much, if any, progress. If it is a game where there are set saving locations, I'll often still backtrack to those and save before progressing if I feel it necessary. That said, once in a while I'll advance in a game and forget to save, something will happen where I need to revert to the last save and I find myself a bit farther back than I anticipate. It's not a common occurrence for me but it does happen, such is life.

As for autosave, I don't like it and, if given the option to do so, turn it off. I prefer to save for myself so that if something bad happens in the game, I can just revert to the save and do whatever it is again to get a better outcome. For example, if a character in a game got a bad level up where they get bad stat increases or something, I'll revert to the save point and level them up again.

Last edited:
I save all the time. Sometimes I’ll turn a game back on and save if I’m not sure that I saved before. However, I really like how the Castlevania games have save rooms…I find that easier for some reason?

I pretty much always forget to save, especially games where you go back to a checkpoint/your last save when you die. I’ve lost so much progress in games like Skyrim/oblivion so I really rely on autosave for games like that!

It's rare that I do forget. Normally, it's an instinct for me to save and close. However, games that like to crash for no discernible reason (hi, recent Pokemon games) can catch me off guard, as I don't really save in-between unless I've finished a hard battle or level, or if I know/have an inkling that I'm about to face something tough.

If auto-save is optional, I'll switch it off immediately. This goes back to when I was still a kid and a game saved just as I was switching it off, and it corrupted my data. I'd argue it's the reason why I save before switching off instead.

I keep auto save on. I guess I’m the opposite of most opinions here. I’ve played many games without auto save feature and am not a fan of being expected to continually stop and manually save. But even then auto save doesn’t always save you, lol. I play Disney Dreamlight Valley and it has an auto save feature. But it’s like every 51/2 minutes and the game crashes a lot. There is so much that can be lost in that 5 minutes! So I’ve gotten in the habit of manually saving as well.

Depends on the game, but if it's a life-sim/farming game, I'll save it at the end of every in-game day (or at the beginning of each day). If it's an RPG/JRPG, I'll save it before the start of anything I think will potentially kill me/my party, or at the end of every successful battle if it's something like Fire Emblem.

For games with autosave, I don't turn it off so I don't have to think about it. Usually, it works out. Usually.

I save all the time. Sometimes I’ll turn a game back on and save if I’m not sure that I saved before. However, I really like how the Castlevania games have save rooms…I find that easier for some reason?
That’s interesting. I’m not familiar with a save room? It’s probably obvious from the name but like you go into certain rooms to save? I’m trying to remember if Ive played any of the Castlevania series. It seems like I have but I can’t picture it.

I don't save unless I'm done playing the game or when something important is going to happen. I can't be bothered to stop in the middle of something just to save. However, sometimes I do forget and end up losing my progress, which is what happened earlier in the day when I was playing Zelda: Twilight Princess... After getting the Master Sword and going through a bunch of annoying segments, too. 😭 So I'm thankful for games that have autosave, like AC:NH or BotW.

I don't save unless I'm done playing the game or when something important is going to happen. I can't be bothered to stop in the middle of something just to save. However, sometimes I do forget and end up losing my progress, which is what happened earlier in the day when I was playing Zelda: Twilight Princess... After getting the Master Sword and going through a bunch of annoying segments, too. 😭 So I'm thankful for games that have autosave, like AC:NH or BotW.
Oh No! I would be heart sick! Partly because I’m not very good at combat. But I do love BOTW. I haven’t gotten very far though really. I spend a lot of time avoiding creatures, lol. That’s why I love ACNH so much. No battle scenes.
So how much time will you have to spend to catch up to where you lost data?

Oh No! I would be heart sick! Partly because I’m not very good at combat. But I do love BOTW. I haven’t gotten very far though really. I spend a lot of time avoiding creatures, lol. That’s why I love ACNH so much. No battle scenes.
So how much time will you have to spend to catch up to where you lost data?
Yeah, it was pretty devastating when I realized what happened, especially considering how much progress I lost. 😭 I played for about 3-4 hours and I haven't saved once because I was so invested. I won't go into detail because this post would be very long, but I went through many cutscenes, dialogue, locations, enemies, and loads of backtracking. So it would take me a few more hours to reach my previous point before I lost progress. At least I'll know where to go and what to do now... 😅

I always turn off auto-save if the game will let me. I like being able to reload if things don't go as planned, and auto-save features are generally counter-intuitive to that. 😅 Auto-saving makes me nervous sometimes too, especially when it can't be turned off—I've always got this fear in the back of my mind that the game will start saving right as I'm backing out or something.

As far as manual saves go, I generally save pretty frequently. Before and after major events or battles and story progress of course, but also if I find rare items, make good progress levelling, complete a puzzle, before choices, etc. etc. I'm also the type to save, immediately forget whether or not I just saved, and then save my game again just to be safe. Games that show the timestamp of when you last saved are a huge boon to my sanity.

That’s interesting. I’m not familiar with a save room? It’s probably obvious from the name but like you go into certain rooms to save? I’m trying to remember if Ive played any of the Castlevania series. It seems like I have but I can’t picture it.
It's basically the same function as the save points in Final Fantasy or those Determination spots in Undertale/Deltarune, except instead of being an object out in the middle of nowhere, it's contextualized as a dedicated room for the specific purpose of data archival. It's a very common feature in Metroidvanias and early survival horror games, where there will be various rooms scattered throughout the map with some specific feature (in Metroid, it's often a computer; in Resident Evil, it's a typewriter, etc.) that acts as a save menu.

Back