Votes: 101 47.2%
  • no

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • not really sure tbh

Votes: 42 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy in my class during a feminist discussion was like, "I don't think men can be feminists..I don't see the point.. it's kind of... weird." This is coming from the same guy who didn't understand why BLM was a movement.
My eyes rolled back so far into my skull.

Yes, though. It's a shame people don't want to associate themselves with the word because of the extremists and misassumptions. Also, when girls put down feminism and so to make themselves look better in front of males.. honestly.
Boy, I die.

The word feminist has become a bit of a dirty word for most people I think,thanks very much to the extremists. Some people now associate a feminist as somebody who hates men, doesn't care about their rights and believe women should have more rights than anybody. I consider myself a feminist in the true sense of the word, not the ridiculous way it gets portrayed sometimes. I believe in equal rights and pay for both women and men. Equality and fairness is what feminism is to me

yes
ppl often say stuff abt radfems when they say why they arent feminists n i think that's a bit sucky (bc usually ppl do actually think that people should have equal rights no matter sex or gender)

feminism isnt man hating lol. i just stay away from radfems because so!!!! many!! are terfs and twerfs and basically think trans women are men invading spaces for women. and i've been told i'm sexist for being a trans afab because apparently it's sexist to them to "not want to b female!!!1!!". yeah no thx. radfems suck

I wouldn't refer to myself as a feminist.

There's too many negative connections to the word, so describing yourself as one whilst insisting "but the real definition is this!" just seems anti productive since a lot of people just don't care what it's 'supposed' to mean, they just know about the large group of vile morons who get overly offended by side boob and think all men should be castrated.

I believe in equal rights, I just don't believe in having to prove that I'm not a overly sensitive moron for 10 minutes at the start of a conversation.

ya im a feminist i dont mind if the image is "ruined" by extremists cuz im not a weak ho

like...muslims aren't being like "ya im monoallahistic muhammadist cos those terrorists sure do make us look bad"

tbh feminism is feminism dont see why the fact that its image has been """tainted""" by radfems is a reason to be reluctant to identify with it. just explain yourself and if people dont care to listen to you then bye

I think a major difference there is that Islam is a religion and feminism is a social movement.

Unless feminists follow the word of the holy deity Feminina and believe that they'll ascend to an afterlife with equal opportunities between both genders when they die, then you can't compare Muslims choosing to still follow Islam despite the negative association and people refusing to identify themselves as a feminist because of the large group of morons that speak for it.

I am a feminist, but I am not a feminazi. There's a big difference.

Yeah same. Also equality between the sexes/genders should be obvious. Like I can't get how people think like "hurr durr you have vag...LESS MONEY".

Yes there are some biological differences that might apply to what work you get/have but tbh if you eg. work in an office and do the same thing anyways, that's just wrong. also ironically enough one of the worst workplaces for actual equality lol.

im an egalitarian, not a feminist.

feminism has been ruined by its followers.

I agree with this, this is my mentality about feminism too. Everyone should be treated equally (and that includes helping the dudes out with the problems they have as well), but feminist extremists have turned it into bra burning and man hating. Most of the people (not trying to offend anyone by saying this) that hate on feminism don't know what it's really about. They see the radials and misinterpret it as something that it's not.

You may not agree with the way some feminists handle things, and honestly I don't either. But to say you don't support equal rights for everyone; well that says a lot about you doesn't it?

The most problematic thing about this site is the unwillingness to differ. Anytime tow people disagree a bunch of people call for a thread to be locked, and it escalates to petty name calling. You guys have to take a debate class or something. Learn to respect, and listen to, opposing opinions. Life is a series of compromises.

- - - Post Merge - - -

All that said, I am 100% a feminist.

I don't consider myself a feminist.

I'm 100% for equality of the sexes, in every aspect, however, I disagree with such a massive proportion of modern-day/third wave feminism that I don't see it fitting to associate myself with that movement when, in general, my thoughts don't align with said movement. "If you're for equality, you're a feminist" I don't agree with this, feminism, especially the vocal majority of modern feminism, is not to do with equality at all, it's a rather corrupt social movement that you can choose to align with, or not, and I choose not to.

I applaud all that feminism has done for women, in the past, and present. There was an absolute need for feminism "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes." in the west in the past, and still currently in a lot of countries. However, I don't believe the type of feminism that gains the most traction nowadays is helping anyone at all, it's not helping women, it's not helping men, it's not achieving "equality", it's creating issues where there are none.

I applaud all that feminism has done for women, in the past, and present. There was an absolute need for feminism "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes." in the west in the past, and still currently in a lot of countries. However, I don't believe the type of feminism that gains the most traction nowadays is helping anyone at all, it's not helping women, it's not helping men, it's not achieving "equality", it's creating issues where there are none.

tbh i feel like the early feminists would be absolutely appalled at what the modern "movement" has become.
the suffragettes didn't fight for this.

Yeah I guess. I believe in gender equality

I don't see myself as a feminist, purely because there is gender equality where I live, and there is nothing to protest against unless you're a real nitpicker. I am for female equality, though (who isn't in the western world nowadays?), and feel so sorry for women who live in countries where they are treated really badly and have very little rights.

Yes, I consider myself a feminist. I am all for equality of both sexes, but I cringe at Buzzfeed feminist videos and what people look at as feminism today, specifically people who think that feminists hate men.

I'd say yes but I'm pretty annoyed by the internet meme brand of feminism. Just like I'm liberal and pretty embarrassed by SJWs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back