• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you care about villager color palettes and/or map order?

Bells
Switch
6290-0835-1909
Fortune Cookie
Oarfish Head
Oarfish Tail
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
So I'm not sure if this is actually insane on my part but I like it when my villagers match? Specially on the map, I really care about how they look in my map, that they don't stand out or mismatch with the rest. Don't get me wrong here, I love every single one of them, I think they are some of the cutest villagers out there, but I do like other ones that I didn't include in my town because they don't go with the rest. My island is very urban themed so I think they stand out really nicely against the scenery.

GDr7adSbcAAzd-D.jpg

Now i've always wanted to start another island but I can't bear to get rid of Laguna Bay so I made a new one on my brother's switch. This time I'm going for a different palette, but not just that, I'm kind of pairing them together? What really drives me crazy is that I wish I could change the order they appear on the map so that Whitney and Fang could go together, like right next to each other on the map.
chart.PNG

I know at this point this is insane nitpicking, and obviously I'm just going to get them in whatever order I can, but I was thinking if anyone else's map has a theme or something like that going on? or do you just don't care about what the map looks like at all? I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say!

Last edited:
Hmm, your idea is pretty interesting!

I never cared about the colour palette of my villagers or their placement on the map. I always chose my villagers from interacting with them, and if I liked them, then they stayed. I wasn't worried about aesthetic nor personality type, so I did end up with a lot of villagers who were normal or peppy personality type.

I think your map looks very cute and pastel though! I also like your limited-tone villagers for your planned second island. It's definitely cute! I can definitely see it as something that someone would want to work hard to do, but I personally wouldn't be able to push myself to care enough!

Good luck with achieving them! 😊

I do care about the color scheme. You can see very clearly that my villagers follow an orange-brown color scheme. I also have eight dogs and two wolves. I consider the wolves to be the leaders of the pack. Dogs are my absolute favorite species, so this is something I just had to do. I’m very fond of this group. My villagers are here:

IMG_3907.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmm, your idea is pretty interesting!

I never cared about the colour palette of my villagers or their placement on the map. I always chose my villagers from interacting with them, and if I liked them, then they stayed. I wasn't worried about aesthetic nor personality type, so I did end up with a lot of villagers who were normal or peppy personality type.

😊
I see that! For that second island I'm having a hard time stopping myself from getting a ton of peppies. I currently have Shino and Dotty and would love to bring Ruby as well. They are so much fun!

I do care about the color scheme. You can see very clearly that my villagers follow an orange-brown color scheme. I also have eight dogs and two wolves. I consider the wolves the leaders of the pack. Dogs are my favorite species, so this is something I just had to do. I’m very fond of this group. My villagers are here:
I LOVE THISSS i knew I wasn't the only one! I love how they're in the same palette and I love the idea of making the wolves the leaders of the pack! This is incredibly cute. Does your island have a theme as well when it comes to the decor? I can imagine them having a fall, forest-like town.

I LOVE THISSS i knew I wasn't the only one! I love how they're in the same palette and I love the idea of making the wolves the leaders of the pack! This is incredibly cute. Does your island have a theme as well when it comes to the decor? I can imagine them having a fall, forest-like town.
My island doesn’t really have a theme. I just kept a pretty normal island but added specific things that aligned with my interests. I’m a huge hockey fan, so I built a hockey rink right outside Mac’s house as he’s the jock villager! Otherwise, it’s a pretty normal tropical Island. Additionally, I built a hotel using a throw-away human player (for the building) that I’m super proud of.

I’m glad you appreciate my villagers! I’m very fond of my group!

Last edited:
The perfectionist and “everything I do needs to look aesthetically pleasing or else I won’t be satisfied with it” part of me does, but not to the point that I move out my villagers and move them back in just to change their order on the map (though I have thought about it), or let it determine what villagers I have. Having villagers that I love, regardless of their species, colour, personality etc is more important to me.

That being said, your maps look so cool! I especially like your plan for your new island and how the villagers of the same species are ordered on top of each other. I think it looks really neat! ☺️

I do care about village color palettes, I always make sure to have one villager of each color. It doesn't really match my blue and green themed island but I like having them all be uniquely colored.

I don't personally care about color palette coordination, as my towns and islands are based on themes that are more conceptual (horror, circus, cultures, etc.) and I pick my villagers based on who fits the theme of the particular town/island the best.

I can see why this is appealing though, as it's pretty aesthetically pleasing.

As for placement, it depends on the individual town or island. There are typically designated residential areas, but how in-depth it goes depends on if there's anything deeper. Like, in my circus town in New Leaf, Elise and Tammi are supposed to be a trapeze artist/acrobat team, so they live near each other. Stuff like that.

I have been doing this since New Leaf lol! I tend to match my villagers with that specific town's theme, however their colours don't always necessarily match, but their aesthetics do, if that makes sense? lol

I have noticed I have an abundance of black/dark grey villagers. I love black cats and black animals, so a lot of my villagers have been black or dark coloured. Kiki, Cole and Blaire have been in all my towns. I also had Nan, who I adore!

My cherry blossom town, I had plenty of white villagers such as Ruby, Chevre and Felicity, to add to the light, airy atmosphere.

As far as the map in New Horizons... my current one looks like this, and I am quite pleased with it:

I'm pretty sure their position on the list is in the order in which they moved onto the island, because that's the case on my map!

Last edited:
Definitely not for me in terms of villager colors, but early game I did try my best to group their houses by exteriors. After the 2.0 update I went ahead and customized them even more so the houses really looked like they were in distinct villagers.

I only care about the order of my map if the island has rabbits and cows and bulls.

I don't care about villager color pallettes, either, and I don't even have a theme for my villagers, as well.

map order doesn't mean much to me personally. villager colors though...

i'm going for a pink island. so my goal is to have pink villagers - or villagers with at least a little bit of pink. pink, or blue, cause i love sherb and chai. my dreamie list is much more color coordinated than my actual villager list.

I don’t mind as much anymore for the colours in the islanders I used to like really bright coloured islanders. Now I don’t mind as long as they are the personalities I like.

When it comes to how the map looks yes I’m constantly looking at it and seeing how I can change or fix certain parts 😂

Back