• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Did you tell yourself you’d never time travel, but still end up doing it?

b100ming

Training to become a pro Isabelle in smash
Bells
Switch
4349-5195-1023
Island
Pyrrhia
Will-o'-the-wisp Halloweaster Egg
Rainbow Moon Jellyfish
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Clownfish Plush
Bee Plush
Dino Plush
Camp Bell Tree 2021 Patch
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Tasty Cake
So when I started acnh, I learned about time traveling. And I’m like “I’m not gonna do that! I’m going to win it the right way!” Now let’s fast forward a while, I’m sitting reading about holidays in acnh, and I’m thinking, “Aww man! I have to wait a whole year for this?” And so I googled up how to time travel, and BROKE MY OWN RULE, JUST TO GO BACK AND EXPERIENCE A FEW HOLIDAYS. So I confessed to my friend, and she’s like “Time travel is bad” and I told her I wouldn’t do it again. But I did it AGAIN. And eventually she ended up doing it once I think. Oh yeah. It was to cycle villagers with me.

Anyone else say they wouldn’t do it, yet still ended up doing it?

I'm constantly playing every single day, more than one year and I never was tempted for TT - there is not point for me.

Reactions: Raz
Usually with every ac game, I start out by not time traveling but once I unlocked everything, I tt a tiny bit for small things😅

like with this update, im choosing to unlock things slowly instead of doing it in one day cause i dont wanna get bored super fast with it

Since the DLC came out I barely did any time traveling. I've used to do it a lot of last year and It just lead to me being burned out of the game. The DLC is really teaching me to take my time and take a break whenever I'm feeling tired. The 2.0 update has so much going on that it makes me not wanna time travel anymore or even restart my island. I feel so comfortable with the game now.

I do this every Animal Crossing game. It’s totally relatable. I like playing real time, but I can’t. I move at my own pace, not the pace of the real world.

Guilty as charged, it even happened in NL too. I was on a hot streak of not TTing but failed bc I wanted to get Cyd to leave badly as he just refused to. I had to restart my save file countless times due to this, if only I never invited Cyd in the first place.

Sure I'm over it now, but I still did some TTing. I recently restarted and the only intentions I have with TTing is going to be on my extra characters while not being on my main character throughout the whole day until I'm satisfied to prevent my main character from having it's Active Island Resident messed up because it doesn't effect that.

I time travel like crazy but only within the current season. I’m picky about doing holidays, seasonal, and museum stuff in the proper times.

I‘m considering doing it only because of the limit of one boat island a day. I was really looking forward to all the new islands and was disappointed to find the limit, so I might go to the next day to get another. And I had a lot of trouble getting the perfect snowmen last year even with counting the steps out, when the snow is back I might also do one day to get another shot at that. It’s really bugging me that I’m missing so many snow recipes. One day might not feel too horribly like really cheating. But I’ve put so much time and effort into this game that I really don’t want to risk seriously messing anything up.

I have time traveled since day one of Wild World. Since this update I’m time traveling less I think? There so many much more things to do during the day compared to before. I still time travel though, just less.

Naw. I used to time travel to get my mail earlier in new leaf, and to move villagers/plots/build PWPs, but it's too much of a pain for me to do it now on the switch. I think I'd only TT at this point to try and move villagers, but I just don't feel like it lol

I try to avoid TTing as much as possible. However, when trading villagers with people just doesn't work out, I'm usually forced to. As far as actual content goes though, I like to experience it in the rawest form on the day/season. I don't like breaking out of routines in-game for much.

I only TT a bit in the beginning since I want to play when I restart... And it sucks to have to wait 2 weeks to get anything done.

I planned to TT, and I did. Remember- there's literally no way to "win" Animal Crossing. And, since it's a single player game, "cheating" is entirely self-defined. If you don't want to time travel, you don't have to. But it's certainly not a moral failing if you do, and it's certainly not "bad". Like, I read some people consider using fast travel in Skyrim to be "cheating" since you should be walking instead. But it's not wrong if you don't. And if you save before doing something in a single player game, in case it doesn't work, again... not an issue. As long as no one else is getting hurt, it doesn't matter.

I mean, for me, TTing has been an important aspect since the very first game. I did, my friends did it, my family who played did it. We all TTed. I was in college when I was talking to a girl and she was like, "Don't judge me, but I time travel." and I remember thinking, "Wait, doesn't everyone?" and I was shocked that not only do some people not do, but some people JUDGE others for doing it! As if there's some weird way to play a single player game more "ethically"? Yah, I've just never understood it. I mean, some people don't travel because they don't enjoy it and want a more leisurely pace- and that's cool! But I tend to play games in bursts- I play one game obsessively for a week or two, then move on to the next (though I usually do 1-3 games at a time). So I TT because it works best with my play style.

So, yah, bottom line is: you can't really "cheat" in single player games unless you decide to define something as cheating. I mostly played CF by TTing between holidays and selling the furniture. It wasn't how it was intended to be played, but I absolutely loved it and had a blast with it. And I remember abusing an item copying glitch in Pokemon Emerald to get really awesome Pokemon. I played by myself, but it gave me a shot at some of the end game battles, and it was some of the most fun I've ever had in a Pokemon game! I'm glad, in those cases, I didn't listen to others telling me it was "wrong" or "bad" and just did what I wanted. As long as no one's getting hurt, there's no harm in playing a game how YOU want.

I already don't have enough time in a day to get everything done on my island, especially with the new update. the progression of time is a very core part of animal crossing to me. it's a game I play every day until I get bored, and then I move on and do my real life responsibilities and chores. time travelling robs that aspect of the game for me.

When I first started, I planned not to time travel and ended up doing it anyway - it ruined my island for me.
The first time I regretted it was when I unlocked the achievement for playing a certain amount of days, but that incident (I didn't know the achievement existed beforehand) also erased any hesitation I initially had about it.
Even though getting a lot of items in one real time day initially felt like an amazing rush, the island kind of lost its 'realness'. I barely interacted with my villagers anymore, entirely started to disregard the museum and really the only thing I did was excessive decorating. Bells came easily through money trees, just plant them, move ahead one day, plant again ... I avoided to TT to holidays, but since I had no connection to my island anymore, I also made no effort to actually play when those came up for real. The game lost its magic pretty quickly.
I guess it all comes down to personal playstyle, and I realised that I want that island life to happen parallel to my real life, one day at a time.

I am tempted to TT again, especially with all the new available items. I restarted my island and my shop isn't even fully upgraded, so when I see what people do with all of the new stuff they already accumulated, I get a little jealous, but I really need to restrain myself, otherwise that would defeat the purpose of having restarted in the first place.

I don't mind TTing and I don't care if others do so but when I get another copy of NH, I plan to not TT after I finish the tutorial unless I need to move buildings again because let's be real, that takes a million years and most people don't want their island in disarray for a month or more. I plan on taking my time playing the game. My play through of NH I just TT whenever but weeks I didn't, I enjoyed the game more. I personally feel like all the online trading kinda encouraged the TTing for me but with the update item availability it's pretty much taken care of now. TTing makes me feel rushed and anxious people don't mix well with feeling rushed.
New leaf I haven't except for relocating most of my villager plots via amiibo because that too takes a million years.
I personally feel like TT should be avoided unless you missed a holiday, you live a tight schedule and only can play at night or something, or trying to remodel to have a good experience.

Story of my life. I didn’t time travel a single day on my old island. And here I am, on my new island, with the current date set to February 2022. I’ve just been trying to get the villagers I want, and I’ve also been time traveling to get Brewster, move buildings, etc.

I've been there before. I didn't mind time traveling in order games at all and did it often. When I got New Horizons though, I wanted to practice patience and experience the game day by day with my partner. However I couldn't help myself and time traveled on my first island from release day. I was disappointed in myself and felt guilty even though no one was mad at me. So I restarted my island. The same thing basically happened on the second island. I tried to give myself a fresh start but I was super impatient with my villagers moving in and out too slowly, so I did it again. Then came the guilt and I reset that island. Now I'm here on island number 3. I started this island on May 10th of 2020 and have no time traveled even once since then. Do I think time traveling is bad? Not at all, but I do want to practice being a patient person (as someone who could be considered highly impatient), and it's been hard at times to not time travel but I've managed to fight the urge for over a year now. I don't blame you for not being able to avoid time traveling. As someone who actually wanted to stop time traveling for my own personal reasons, I found it highly difficult to stop myself from giving in to temptation!

I tried TT so I could restart my island and still have the release date as my start date. It made me not be as attached to my island. I basically started over three days ago and I'm loving it again with no TT.

Different strokes for different folks. If you like TT, then do so! If not, then don't.

Back