• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

did you come up with lore for your villagers?

Not at all. My villagers were chosen based on species and color scheme. I have eight dogs and two wolves. I no longer play, but I loved the villagers on my island. I haven't been more fond of a group of characters since the Totodile evolution line.
omg 8 dogs, which dogs do you have?
totodile evolution line do be nice, bby totodile is my fav though 🥺

Showing a photo is just easier since you can see the color coordination. I didn't care for personality, but I wanted these specific villagers. I didn't actually plan this but it's amazing how this worked out. I'm very happy with this lineup and I wouldn't mind having all of these villagers again.
IMG_2640.jpeg

Showing a photo is just easier since you can see the color coordination. I didn't care for personality, but I wanted these specific villagers. I didn't actually plan this but it's amazing how this worked out. I'm very happy with this lineup and I wouldn't mind having all of these villagers again.
View attachment 502862
omg wow that's actually such a nice colour combo! i'm waiting for some of them to show up at hhp so that i can make them a vacation home they deserve 💕

i've not really got any lore for the homies other than totally shipping merengue and hornsby - i saw some memes on pinterest which inspired me to ship them, but i've not seen them hang out together on my island yet! ;_;

My first island basically had all of the villagers in it represent various MHA characters. Second island doesn't really have any lore. Yet. 👀

I would not say a give them a particular lore but it is true that from time to time i obsesses more over a character and from time to time they speak about them selfs, their stories and likes so soMetimes i bond over their personalities and take that opportunity to make a home to more or less what i think they like and what they tell me.

For example Tom told me he really likes cars so made his home a garage and Apollo o ce told me about his past life and how he likes sailing and his boat so in my island i have a dusty boat at my beach cause i feel he has a gentle old soul and that in his free time he would go there to repair the boat.

So thats what i do its like a light lore i guess 😅

I did this in New Leaf.

In my main horror town, my headcanon is that Cobb is basically a mad scientist in the vein of Dr. Frankenstein and that he cobbled together Stitches from various parts akin to Frankenstein's Monster. Octavian and Marina are, in fact, aliens, which explains why Octavian has the space theme to his house. I also have the headcanon that Boris is a vampire due to his tusks.

In my hybrid circus-magic show town, my headcanon is that my mage character brought a teapot to life with her magic and that explains why Tia exists. Tiffany is the ringleader magician's assistant due to the whole magic trick of pulling a rabbit out of a hat. Elise (Snooty monkey) and Tammi (Peppy monkey) are neighbors, best friends, and perform the trapeze. I made them roommates in Happy Home Paradise in New Horizons.

I don't have any lore for my animal residents in New Horizons. My island's theme is a coming together of people from different countries and cultures from around the world and also from different time periods. All of my player characters and animals are from different places. I have backstories/general concepts to my player characters in this game, and two of them are a couple, but that's about it.

yes please! i wanna know the story behind her past 👀

Hiii! it's been a few days but I finally had a chance to dig through my switch gallery (sorry they're all just pictures instead of screencaps, I hate the system to send pictures off your switch so much ;u; (also wow do I need to dust my screen)

20230806_012851.jpg

Not like you're eating ice cream right in front of my face. 😔 Lying isn't a good look.

Gala is a bank robber, the evidence files
20230806_013310.jpg

I don't know if I would call a place with literal jail bars cozy Gala...

20230806_012008.jpg

Sounds like you have something to hide...

20230806_011901.jpg

Why do you casually have multiple gold bars in your home?? Not even addressing that case full of money....

20230806_012937.jpg

Okaaaaay...an odd take but you do you Gala.

20230806_012955.jpg

Is the gold part really that important?

20230806_012945.jpg

Now it's getting suspicious....

20230806_013421.jpg

Interesting choice of reading material.

20230806_013038.jpg

Ummm, that's nice that you have pure intentions, but where are these multibillions coming from???

20230806_012036.jpg

Something about you mentioning detective work makes me very uncomfortable. :(

And least of all...
20230806_012337.jpg

Gala are you enjoying the company of that melting snowboy there..?

I remember doing this for New Leaf when I was younger!

I don't remember any specific details, but I remember a few things, like how I also applied lore to myself and thought of other possible humans in the world of Animal Crossing, trying to piece together whatever gaps the games left. I also imagined myself in a larger mayoral position than in game (younger me felt incredibly guilty for always leaving Isabelle to work, I really wanted to lighten her workload lol).

When I wouldn't play, I'd also daydream coooonstantly about what my villagers were doing in my absence and how they were faring, like who'd hang out with who, who would have arguments with whoever, and how Isabelle would have to host whichever events I'd miss in real time and how they'd possibly go without me.

As for New Horizons... I haven't connected any lore to my villagers this time around, really! It something that doesn't come naturally to me anymore like when I was younger--I guess whatever "lore" I have applied to them now are just popular fan-interpretations of the characters, like how Bob would be friends with Punchy, or how Raymond either used to be, or still is, a stuffy office worker.

Reading all of these in-depth responses though inspire me to think much more beyond that like how I used to do with New Leaf! Dunno why I dropped making lore for my villagers or even for my own character, this thread reminded me how much fun it is to do so!

Hiii! it's been a few days but I finally had a chance to dig through my switch gallery (sorry they're all just pictures instead of screencaps, I hate the system to send pictures off your switch so much ;u; (also wow do I need to dust my screen)

20230806_012851.jpg

Not like you're eating ice cream right in front of my face. 😔 Lying isn't a good look.

Gala is a bank robber, the evidence files
20230806_013310.jpg

I don't know if I would call a place with literal jail bars cozy Gala...

20230806_012008.jpg

Sounds like you have something to hide...

20230806_011901.jpg

Why do you casually have multiple gold bars in your home?? Not even addressing that case full of money....

20230806_012937.jpg

Okaaaaay...an odd take but you do you Gala.

20230806_012955.jpg

Is the gold part really that important?

20230806_012945.jpg

Now it's getting suspicious....

20230806_013421.jpg

Interesting choice of reading material.

20230806_013038.jpg

Ummm, that's nice that you have pure intentions, but where are these multibillions coming from???

20230806_012036.jpg

Something about you mentioning detective work makes me very uncomfortable. :(

And least of all...
20230806_012337.jpg

Gala are you enjoying the company of that melting snowboy there..?
i love her confidence, gala's so confident and brazen.
gasp you mean to tell me she's a crooked detective?? where do you think she's getting all these cases from... she's probably the one creating them in the first place!
...she's probably so relaxed with the poor snowboy because she's used to such sights ( ; ; )
Post automatically merged:

I remember doing this for New Leaf when I was younger!

I don't remember any specific details, but I remember a few things, like how I also applied lore to myself and thought of other possible humans in the world of Animal Crossing, trying to piece together whatever gaps the games left. I also imagined myself in a larger mayoral position than in game (younger me felt incredibly guilty for always leaving Isabelle to work, I really wanted to lighten her workload lol).

When I wouldn't play, I'd also daydream coooonstantly about what my villagers were doing in my absence and how they were faring, like who'd hang out with who, who would have arguments with whoever, and how Isabelle would have to host whichever events I'd miss in real time and how they'd possibly go without me.

As for New Horizons... I haven't connected any lore to my villagers this time around, really! It something that doesn't come naturally to me anymore like when I was younger--I guess whatever "lore" I have applied to them now are just popular fan-interpretations of the characters, like how Bob would be friends with Punchy, or how Raymond either used to be, or still is, a stuffy office worker.

Reading all of these in-depth responses though inspire me to think much more beyond that like how I used to do with New Leaf! Dunno why I dropped making lore for my villagers or even for my own character, this thread reminded me how much fun it is to do so!
oh i love that - i'm the same with isabelle right now haha i like to picture she's actually able to walk around outside a lot more, she does more than just paperwork at the resident services.
i'm not the most creative, but all my lore is truly just based on the in-game interactions 🤗 it makes building also really fun because then i can plan out who lives near one another, little areas for each pair/little groups

you should do it again! hehe start small :>

Last edited:
In NL, my friend created a whole spooky aspect to her town and I got to enjoy the folklore that we both made up.

But I have not for NH

I give some pieces of lore to my villagers. Some have a job now we can change the interior of their houses. For example, Petri is pharmacist, Merengue has a bakery. I don’t know yet for the others. Pate and Ketchup will be friends. Their houses will be next to each other. With time I suppose these villagers will have a life created by me, and a function. Of course we have the dlc giving us places to go, restaurant, school, and I don’t know more, but I have other ideas for my villagers! Or just give them a nice house with facilities. Giving them a past is fun as well! Where did they live before going to my island? Can I create a nice couple?

I give some pieces of lore to my villagers. Some have a job now we can change the interior of their houses. For example, Petri is pharmacist, Merengue has a bakery. I don’t know yet for the others. Pate and Ketchup will be friends. Their houses will be next to each other. With time I suppose these villagers will have a life created by me, and a function. Of course we have the dlc giving us places to go, restaurant, school, and I don’t know more, but I have other ideas for my villagers! Or just give them a nice house with facilities. Giving them a past is fun as well! Where did they live before going to my island? Can I create a nice couple?
that's so cute! when merengue was still on my island, i also redecorated her house to be like a bakery 🤗 i gave her a nice, big kitchen and displayed some of her baked goods around so that when she had guests over, they could share it :>
the dlc has been really nice to have for lore too, especially when certain villagers have really wacky requests (you should look at chevre's request haha)

New lore for two villagers I reeeeally want: Rocket and Kid Cat. Infortunately I don't have enough space for their other two friends (Agent S and Big Top) but I think I'll find a nice story to tell for these two friends. Like: Rocket (or Kid Cat) on my island since day 1 (I'll reset to be sure one of them is with me when I'll start the game) for a new fresh life far away from pain, still talking to his/her old friends, but they're not ready to move. They have a new life also, children maybe, a partner. Finally, an event and one of them (Kid Cat or Rocket) will move in as well. Hello old friends!

I have some lore for my villagers about their jobs and who they consider to be their closest friends.

Sasha and Midge are best friends and like to host picnics and beach parties. Sasha doesn't have a job at the moment. Midge sells her crafts online.

Shino is in charge of the village shrine. Doobie is a supernatural crime mystery writer and a frequent visitor to the shine.

The closest I get would be the sense of attachment I feel to certain villagers over time based on the RNG that controls their dialogue and behavior, and the friendships or preferences they appear to have for the same reason.

For example, I think of Antonio and Bubbles as best friends because they're always visiting each others' houses, and they both have intense, upbeat personalities with athletic decor in their homes, so they seem pretty compatible as friends to me. They're two of the oldest villagers on my island and they've consistently spent time together from the beginning.

Huck is into cooking, since he seems to share recipes with me much more frequently than other villagers.

Stella is an enthusiastic botanist and gardener, since she spends a lot of time sitting among flowers, reading and examining them.

I decorated around Limberg's house with beekeeping supplies, so he gets to be the local beekeeper, particularly as his house interior looks like a gorgeous fall day.

So yeah, I don't really invent backstories or anything like that, but I do imagine a little extra complexity behind their lives on my island based on their museum visits, their walking patterns, the villagers they seem to talk to the most, and so on.

on my island, Asteria, my current lineup is: Sparro, Apple, Maple, Zucker (takochan), Jitters (ji), Ruby, Marina, Raymond, Marshal, and Static. i'm happy with this lineup, and they're basically all my dreamies (minus static, he was an autofill after i maxed out on my reactions)
time to update this because static is no longer on my island !!! </3
i had ankha move in from the campsite and she replaced static. i fear that was a mistake because she's constantly getting into fights with raymond and marshal! they're always asking me to deliver apology gifts to each other, sometimes it's really late at night and they still ask me to deliver it smh
i keep saying i'll kick her out eventually to move marty in since he's my last dreamie but the lore!! the drama!!!

i've also been having a lot of fun coming up with some lore with the villagers that i make vacation homes for, sometimes they're previous villagers that used to be on my island or their home request sparks some interest and it makes me go a little too detailed with their vacation house 😗 (for example octavian was at the restaurant and i felt compelled to give him a home and somehow my mind conjured up a backstory that he was marina's ex that never moved on so his house has some of her old belongings but tough luck cause she's married to takochan now 🫶)

i haven’t really written any of this down but i have this mental image that fang and pashmina are former band mates in high school? also that he was unsure ab moving in (via campsite because… amiibo struggles) until he found out that she was on the island.

i have ideas about my islander’s relationships with each other but i’m not sure if i’d call that lore per say 🤔

Back