• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Designing collectibles and voting Yay or Nay?

i thought it was fun and the snowman turned out really cute!

i usually prefer staff favorites over community votes bc i agree there is the chance of getting more visibility and reactions if you submit sooner. also i like the big reveal that comes with staff favorites vs seeing how many votes something has

i wasn’t around for any of the previous create-a-collectible events, so this was my first time experiencing something like this, but i enjoyed it a lot! i didn’t really care for my design much tbh, but i enjoyed seeing everyone else’s designs, voting for the ones i liked, and the anticipation of finding out which designs made it to voting and which one would win.

i admittedly wasn’t in love with any of the finalists except for buff snowman r.i.p. 😔, but i still had fun and snow angel snowman is quite pretty! though, i definitely agree that i wouldn’t want to see this for every event — once a year or every few years would be cool. :’)

I have to say it was quite fun! But I'm not a great digital artist, so I kind of like where we can submit ideas and staff can make it look pretty for us =)
I thought the creation of the Eerie Potion was sort of fun, too. I didn't get to participate directly, but it was fun watching the thread as people mixed different colors and strategized as a group to achieve the final combination!

I loved seeing the ideas everyone had! it was really neat getting to imagine what potential collectibles could look like, and feeling like my creativity could potentially become a new icon for people to want and enjoy.

however, I can see an event like this becoming a gigantic hassle for staff to moderate/run. I'm sure someone on the staff team had to go through everyone's art and fix the art so it looks good at the small size collectibles are.

I think a signature pics art contest/event run solely by forum members might be a good medium. there might not be any "rarity" since the image will just be a link that people can copy, but people would be able to decorate their signatures, have their own layouts, etc. without it eating up staff time.

I'm sure someone on the staff team had to go through everyone's art and fix the art so it looks good at the small size collectibles are.
tbh, I don't think they really did. or at least not to any degree I was able to notice

although even if they did, the fact that collectibles are so small makes it even easier to tweak. because all they basically have to do is cleanup, since miniscule details one might otherwise be focused on would just get lost in resizing down

so just the poll ones?

seems reasonable enough then, and what I'd of guessed, if anything for cleaning (redoing every submission just seems way too unnecessary, imo)

(that or guessing that it would just be the winner that got cleaned up for the final version)

as mentioned many times before, the actual drawing of the collectible should be kept a rare occurrence. most of the designs were quite busy honestly, the snow angel was actually the simplest one. but the suggestion of collectibles and then staff reworking them to perfect the look is a great idea. I love that. but off course only as an event, because I still want to see the staff's amazing designs!!

I think the community collectable design contests are a great way to mix it up, and I would be honored to have my design used as a collectable. I like how it is now where it's an occasional occurrence, makes the event feel more special.

Isn't there a problem with user made collectibles never being released a second time or am I misremembering something I read about the popsicles/ice cream collectibles?

Anyway. I think my personal stance is as a very rare event maybe, but not a regular one. Mostly for the above reason really. I don't really enjoy things that work on a 'get it now or never' basis. Yeah you could buy them second-hand later but we all know what happens to sought after collectible prices after releases.

I came here to pay my respects to froggy snowman. It put up such a fight. 😔

so just the poll ones?

seems reasonable enough then, and what I'd of guessed, if anything for cleaning (redoing every submission just seems way too unnecessary, imo)

(that or guessing that it would just be the winner that got cleaned up for the final version)

Just the 10 poll ones, yes! Simply scaling large designs down unfortunately doesn't give great results. The image that was posted in the voting booth is the same one that made it to the collectible, though.

Isn't there a problem with user made collectibles never being released a second time or am I misremembering something I read about the popsicles/ice cream collectibles?

Anyway. I think my personal stance is as a very rare event maybe, but not a regular one. Mostly for the above reason really. I don't really enjoy things that work on a 'get it now or never' basis. Yeah you could buy them second-hand later but we all know what happens to sought after collectible prices after releases.
Oh, I hope not because that is sad. The Aurora sky were prizes in some of the events so maybe other created collectibles could come back in a similar way?

If it counts, the snow bunny just got re-released for purchase this event (the first release for purchase being the 2019 Red Balloon World Tour). But to be fair, the staff technically designed the aurora sky/snow bunny collectibles, with the users simply contributing the idea and sketch to them. I'm not sure if the same was for the ice creams and spellectibles, or if the users themselves designed the final collectible with minimal cleaning up from the staff artists. 🤔 If it's the latter, I assume staff can't rerun these collectibles without permission from the users who designed the final collectible.

I really don't know and I'm curious now with how the staff deals with user-made collectibles and their re-runs.

Last edited:
It was a cute idea and interesting to see what sorts of accessories people came up with but I think collectible concepts should ultimately be left to staff. It should be an activity that is used sparingly, allowing users to come up with collectible designs. Collectibles done by staff feel more special as a TBT original rather than something that is generic, although some user-created collectibles such as the Snow Bunny, Popsicle and Ice Cream Swirl are really great. But I'm slightly torn because, although it's neat that your idea/design for a collectible could actually become reality, it also makes said collectible feel like it belongs only to you, since it was your concept after all, and not something that belongs in an actual collectible group. Totally makes no sense I know lol but idk that's just how I feel about it.

But I have to let it out: community voting has got to be my least favorite thing because, as others pointed out, it gives people who post earlier an advantage over those who post late-ish, mainly because of visibility. I also feel community voting can easily be swayed-- by this I mean people leaving "likes" just for the sake of leaving a like for people who are popular or those who are well aquainted with one another. When I think about it, I feel like staff look at the entry for the entry and for what it is, so what I'm saying is: I prefer staff favorites.

Back