• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Designing collectibles and voting Yay or Nay?

MiniPocketWorld

🌺💦🏄💦🌺
Bells
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Flimsy Watering Can
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Violet
Purple Violet
I don't know about you guys, but I really enjoyed the designing a snowman collectible idea. I didn't participate in the designing but I really liked seeing what others came up with, and wondering what design we would end up with. I did vote in the polls though. Rip froggy snowman lol.
I was curious to know if this is something you would like seeing again in the future sometime too?
What templates would you like to see?

i think its a super cool idea and would love to see more of it. maybe a customizable egg or something similar for the next poll if they do one? That might be fun ^^

it was alright for what it was but I wouldn't say it was one of my favorite "new" events. idk what could improve upon it except maybe let people design their own snowmen and then have the community vote by liking posts like the regular contests.

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing something like this again in another event, though, I agree with @Millysaurusrexjr, and I would love it if there was an event where you could create a collectible from scratch and whichever collectible gets the most likes and loves becomes an actual collectible, though I could see how that might end up as a total disaster.

I think it's a fun type of event to do occasionally but it's not something I think should be over-utilized. I think the staff do a really great job of designing collectibles that translate well on the smaller scale. While I loved seeing some of the creativity people had, most of the snowmen were simply too busy and I couldn't tell what was going on when they were shrunk down to collectible size.

For those talking about designing a whole collectible yourself, that can work. That's how we got the Aurora Sky and Snow Bunny, two of my favorite collectibles. Only the winning designs weren't based on likes, they were chosen by the staff and reworked by them.

I really liked Snow Angel Snowman this year. However, like some other folks have been saying, I think the staff should design the collectibles.

I am really hoping for a Puppers variation of the Mom’s Plush. I think all collectibles have a certain aesthetic to them and the Staff are better off designing them. There’s a reason there aren’t member-made collectibles. It could wind up a disaster or hurt feelings. Contests like this are fun, but only as that — for fun. Having the designs turned into actual collectibles is a no.

It sounds awesome on paper, but might not be when carried out. I'm actually glad some of the events had submissions nominated by the staff themselves. It gives the later entries a better chance of getting chosen than based on the number of reactions. Entries in the first few pages usually have more reactions than those who made their submissions much later. I'm not trying to discredit the people who made their submissions early on. It's simply something that I noticed when I looked through the events.

It sounds awesome on paper, but might not be when carried out. I'm actually glad some of the events had submissions nominated by the staff themselves. It gives the later entries a better chance of getting chosen than based on the number of reactions. Entries in the first few pages usually have more reactions than those who made their submissions much later. I'm not trying to discredit the people who made their submissions early on. It's simply something that I noticed when I looked through the events.
Good point! Was it you who did this research for the Poliwags? I remember someone from our cabin calculating where the winners posted and most of the were on the first few pages. Earlier entries get more likes. Also not discrediting the winners. All of the entries were amazing, but visibility helps!

Believe it or not, there were events in the past where users did get to design the entire collectible! All of the voodoo doll, ancient candle, and pumpkin cupcake collectibles were fully designed by users (though Laudine has since become staff :p).

My favourite style of collectible-designing event, though, are ones where users come up with a collectible concept, but the staff end up making the final version of the collectible. As someone who's quite bad at visual art, but is bursting with ideas when inspired, concept-based collectible designing is a ton more fun for me, cuz I know that if it was ever my straight up artwork being used, it'd never be chosen

(kikotoot already explained above while I was typing LOL but I second the comment!)

Idk if people here know this, but create-a-collectible contests were around for quite some time now (see: 2014 popsicle and ice cream swirl, 2015 voodoo doll/cupcake/candle, 2019 aurora sky and snow bunny)! Not sure about the other user-designed collectibles, but for the aurora sky/snow bunny, it wasn’t a voting contest; it was a staff favorite one. Staff didn’t use our actual drawings, but they copied our designs into their style so the collectibles wouldn’t look off. Flyffel and I were the ones who suggested and designed the prototype aurora sky!! 🌌

Here’s my aurora sky submission for the wish-a-collectible event, which in hindsight obviously looks way off from the current collectible, but HEY at least I tried and it got turned into a collectible!
FF255237-5C48-4060-A356-F59531F523CF.jpeg

(Also, a moment of silence to the 9365926482 users who suggested a snowflake wand back in 2019, which staff didn’t turn into a collectible because of the sheer amount of people suggesting it. You guys were 2 years too early. 😔)

Good point! Was it you who did this research for the Poliwags? I remember someone from our cabin calculating where the winners posted and most of the were on the first few pages. Earlier entries get more likes. Also not discrediting the winners. All of the entries were amazing, but visibility helps!
No, it wasn't me who did the research. It was definitely someone else, though! And honestly, the fact that you were able to remember this is pleasantly surprising. :)

But yeah, considering how there are so many people who make beautiful entries, it's only fair that the staff went with their approach of nominating the entries themselves. At the end of the day, people should do this for fun, which is the mindset I always have when entering events like these. If my sole reason to participate is to get to the top and end up failing, the event would leave a pretty bad taste in my mouth, which something that I do not want to feel.

Yes I would love to do more. I participated in the snowman event and i liked designing the cloak for him. Maybe for St. Patrick's Day we can do a Leprechaun top hat

I love the Aurora Sky and I know that was originally designed by royally iconic @skarmoury Hi queen 🤧💙 Also @Witch for the yummy ice cream collectible

That wish-a-collectible event must've been super hyped
I think anyone can design a collectible even just for fun, like how Snowflake Wand was wished for quite a while by the community itself and some peeps even made one way before this event for-fun. Staff, you do you~

But psst, I want a bunny day wand. y'know, that egg wand from ACNH into a collectible. plis 👀

Designing contests such as this and the others that kikotoot, LadyDestani, and skarmoury mentioned are fun things to do once in a while, but best to keep them more of an uncommon occurrence. I agree with kikotoot about users coming up with concepts and Staff choosing which to create being the way to go.

Idk if people here know this, but create-a-collectible contests were around for quite some time now (see: 2014 popsicle and ice cream swirl, 2015 voodoo doll/cupcake/candle, 2019 aurora sky and snow bunny)! Not sure about the other user-designed collectibles, but for the aurora sky/snow bunny, it wasn’t a voting contest; it was a staff favorite one. Staff didn’t use our actual drawings, but they copied our designs into their style so the collectibles wouldn’t look off. Flyffel and I were the ones who suggested and designed the prototype aurora sky!! 🌌

...I had no idea...and I was around too 😅

This was my first time participating in any sort of community collectible design contest so I feel like I don't have as much to input as people who have been around longer, but speaking just on this event...

I really enjoyed this one! Also RIP to the froggy snowman I think the format actually worked decently and gave people who aren't great at design a fun chance to participate, since you only had to design a little piece and not the whole thing. I also appreciate the idea of having multiple people contribute to the final design! Plus the snowman dress up game is actually just ridiculously fun.

Not directly related to this event but I would also like to say related to this point:
It gives the later entries a better chance of getting chosen than based on the number of reactions. Entries in the first few pages usually have more reactions than those who made their submissions much later.
I think it would be really cool if something could be implemented where the we can all submit our entries over the course of a week (or however long) in private and then all of the submissions going to a public thread for reaction voting after. So everyone would get an equal amount of "visibility" so to speak.

Also I think it was the great poliwag Lambda who did all that fancy research related to the camp voting~

I'll admit I liked the balloon tour version a bit more, even if it seemed like too many users weren't taking into account that their idea would be shrunk down to a 28x28 size, had it been chosen (and also too many people just deciding to make a snowflake wand)

but overall, I enjoyed this method as well, despite not personally feeling any of the finalists

Back