"COLLECTIBLES" - A blessing or a curse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I'm gonna throw my idea out there.

I think everything is fine the way it is, EXCEPT for the rate of exchange with the ACNL bells. There should just be a set amount you're allowed to trade, lets say 1 mil ACNL = 100 TBT. It wouldn't take anymore work for the mods than to put a sticky that says don't sell for more than that. I think they wouldn't even have to enforce it really, because the community would self-monitor it, and it would just discourage people from continuously raising the price to crazy heights.

Why do you think people can keep raising the ACNLB -> TBTB rate?

In my opinion, we should keep the extremely rare collectibles like white feather, dark blue letter, blue candy at a limited stock and make 2x or more of the other collectibles. Even if the prices decrease let's say half. There will be more collectibles and more you can sell and buy. Thus making it more like a "market" They could also sell other collectibles to get the extremely rare collectibles.

- - - Post Merge - - -

These days even if you have the tbt, you can't buy the collectibles.

Re-opened thread. Apparently this got closed by accident.

We do welcome your opinions on the subject as long as they're civil and don't turn into a super heated debate with other members over collectibles.

As for my own personal opinion on the matter: I do feel like things have gotten a little out of hand these days. We never ever intended for it to be like this when we originally planned collectibles. Honestly, while flattering, the idea that TBT Bells are worth so much and are sold for real games is insane to me. There are definitely some changes that could be made to improve the situation, but I couldn't say when or whether they will actually happen.

Thank you for re opening my thread, I wondered why it had been closed.

It would appear that one of the main causes of dissatisfaction is the current ever escalating exchange rate. I know that Bell Tree can never impose a rule to regulate it, but I think most would concur it is spiralling completely out of control. Surely the majority of blame has to be laid at the door of the cheats who either dupe or use Powersave to create extra income. Both are forbidden on this Forum, but is enough being done to attempt to eliminate these evil doers seeing as strong evidence points to them still being in existence?

Could more positive action be taken? How could it be achieved? There is always a solution, even if it takes a bit of thought and effort.

I don't have the solution but will note the current state of things is discouraging to new newbies.
A few of the newbies I helped recently have told me privately they are just giving up on collectibles and two of those guys I don't see them logging on anymore.

??????????/
tbt is a forum, not a collectibles site. if they're coming here and expecting to get collectibles, then they're doing it wrong. if they want collectibles they should have joined a site like gpx/vdex/cs/dc/whatever, and not a forum...

if people are leaving tbt because they cant get collectibles, then its a 'them' problem, not a problem with tbt or anything. tbt's sole focus is an animal crossing forum, not a collectibles site. so if you rage quit because you can't get your collectibles, thats your problem for joining a site and expecting something that it isnt designed for. tbt isn't a collectibles site, period. that's like going into a clothing store and expecting to do your grocery shopping. granted, they might have a few snacks at the counter, but they're not going to have a whole variety of foods, because they dont account for that, so you go to the grocery store to compelte their shopping. just like tbt, they have the 'few snacks' (ie; collectibles that are always in stock) at the counter, and then disregard the rest (ie; rarer collectibles), because they dont account for them, so you're best off going to a collectibles site (ie; the grocery store), instead of hanging around on tbt (ie; the clothing store), because that's now what tbt is.
if you're joining tbt for collectibles, then you probably shouldnt be joining tbt at all

I don't have a problem with the way the collectibles are distributed at all, Jake. summed it up pretty well. My only problem is with the exchange rate constantly rising. How are some of us (who are doing it by legal means, i.e turnip buying/selling, selling villager/items) suppose to compete with that? I know that's not the staffs problem, but it still is a problem. v v;;

Jake you say people shouldn't join Bell Tree for the sole purpose of getting collectibles, and I totally agree with that, first and foremost it is a Forum. However, you also state that it's sole purpose is as an Animal crossing forum. That was it's original purpose, but ten years on is that still the case? A huge portion of the site is no longer about AC, older members are no longer playing the game, everything is evolving. I have seen a number of people say, "they are just pixels....so what?" But they are now an important part of the new trend because Bell Tree members have made it so.

It's still just an item. It's not worth heartache. These aren't things you can take with you anywhere else. They're a primary "here" thing. It's silly to get THAT worked up about them to leave a site. The site's mostly about community and friends, and a place for people to unwind if they're not into AC anymore. If you're just here for collectables... well.. that's kind of boring. It was doomed to fail from the start.

It's still just an item. It's not worth heartache. These aren't things you can take with you anywhere else. They're a primary "here" thing. It's silly to get THAT worked up about them to leave a site. The site's mostly about community and friends, and a place for people to unwind if they're not into AC anymore. If you're just here for collectables... well.. that's kind of boring. It was doomed to fail from the start.

But members do get worked up about the collectibles, even to the extent, not only is there obtaining cash flow through illegal means to purchase them, but trading with real life monetary items such as gift vouchers, game codes, a dangerous precedent to take and one you have recently created a post on outlining the dangers.

But members do get worked up about the collectibles, even to the extent, not only is there obtaining cash flow through illegal means to purchase them, but trading with real life monetary items such as gift vouchers, game codes, a dangerous precedent to take and one you have recently created a post on outlining the dangers.

Well if you're going to go that route than it's your problem for getting so worked up about TBT and collectables to get there.

Well if you're going to go that route than it's your problem for getting so worked up about TBT and collectables to get there.

I don't consider I get worked up over collectibles or TBT. I just enjoy them as a tiny part of my life without resorting to buying through illicit means or offering monetary inducements. I also enjoy forum debates that don't escalate into slanging matches, but may possibly result in things to be thought about for the future.

I don't consider I get worked up over collectibles or TBT. I just enjoy them as a tiny part of my life without resorting to buying through illicit means or offering monetary inducements. I also enjoy forum debates that don't escalate into slanging matches, but may possibly result in things to be thought about for the future.

All I am aphorising is that people, not explicitly you, that invest in collectables, whether underhandedly or through typical means can become part of a dilemma. When the status of an item with no monetary value, here or outside the forum, becomes the adjudicator for status within the community, then it is most definitely an issue. Couple that with multiple users having the same problem, and the forum becomes an auction house— not a community. On the scale of importance, collectables should not be priority over other foundations.

I never implied you specifically get worked up over collectables. It was a general statement aimed at everyone. Nor is this a "slanging" match. Of course, if you're going to assume the only reason I checked and responded to this thread was a means to insult you, then by all means, that is obviously your sentiment.

I have to say this, I think that the collectibles are just pixels, I think that if people want to make a big deal about them, good for them. They are pixels. PIXELS. They are essentially useless bits of 1s and 0s that have no value except for the value given by 1s and 0s. If someone is going to let these 1s and 0s be a huge deal to them, then that is THEIR choice and has nothing to do with the mods and their decisions on what to do with the collectibles or how they are distributed. Jeremy put forth his own money to make this forum what is it now, and the collectible add on actually cost him money. So sitting here *****ing about people spending their own money to GET collectibles is kinda pointless because A: Jeremy spent money to make it possible and B: That is their choice. They earned the money and they know the rules and they are willing to risk that money for useless 1s and 0s.

I enjoy the collectibles, I am a big TBT spender and I love to buy and trade and work the market for them. They make me happy, but I would not make a big deal if I the deal is fair. And if it isn't fair I'll voice accordingly. Otherwise, the fact that most of the collectibles are NOT limited if wonderful in my opinion. It give people freedoms to have and collect what they wish.

I think it's ridiculous that people hold so much stock in 1s and 0s that they bother the mods daily for the demand for restocks. The collectibles would lose not only their value but their fun if they were available 24/7 and held no value. TBT would be pointless, owning it, saving it would not be fun.

And Jeremy did not pay his hard earned money for this to be a pointless venture for the users of his forum.

So instead of *****ing about if the collectibles are a blessing or a curse, how about we thank Jeremy for actually making them an option for us. They are not a god given right nor are they a requirement of the forum. They are a GIFT from HIM to US.

The thanklessness of this forum drives me wild.

I think LyraVale's idea to somehow regulate the ACNL -> TBT bell exchange rate makes a lot of sense in this environment. Regulatory bodies like the government fix prices to force controls on a market that would otherwise be unfair because of the supply and demand dynamics that exist. For example: fixing prices for electrical usage makes sense because of the limited number of providers and the high, inelastic demand that exists because it's largely considered a necessity. There seems to be a similar dynamic for collectibles where a large imbalance in supply and demand incentivizes shady practices (duping, hacking, etc.) and barriers to entry. A fixed exchange rate would discourage some of this because it reduces the power of sellers and encourages more people to participate. The recent influx of people attempting to sell real world items and pricey eShop credits for TBT bells has been shocking, to say the least.

That being said, I don't really feel that anything else needs to be changed. Imposing a limit on the number of collectibles each member can buy or have would be counterproductive, as part of the fun of the elusive little pixel blobs is knowing a specific collectible is rare and hard to come by and putting in the necessary work to obtain it. Creating more of a free market would only cause them to lose their appeal, and people to become disinterested by default.

I very much enjoy the collectibles as a site feature and am glad they're here; they've been a very fun part of the forum for me and have also allowed to me to meet and interact with some great people. I take no qualms with the way they're currently distributed, but definitely think that the current TBT exchange rate has gotten a tad out of hand. This is just my two cents. :)

So.... because everyone broke the economy... you guys want us to fix it and regulate it?

I think that's kind of silly.

So.... because everyone broke the economy... you guys want us to fix it and regulate it?

I think that's kind of silly.

I agree with this, it is a ridiculous request.

Honestly the economy of the forum is not something that can easily be regulated. People will buy want to buy low and sell high, that is human nature. If people want to buy 100 TBT for millions of animal crossing bells that is their choice. No amount of regulation can stop it.

I think LyraVale's idea to somehow regulate the ACNL -> TBT bell exchange rate makes a lot of sense in this environment. Regulatory bodies like the government fix prices to force controls on a market that would otherwise be unfair because of the supply and demand dynamics that exist. For example: fixing prices for electrical usage makes sense because of the limited number of providers and the high, inelastic demand that exists because it's largely considered a necessity. There seems to be a similar dynamic for collectibles where a large imbalance in supply and demand incentivizes shady practices (duping, hacking, etc.) and barriers to entry. A fixed exchange rate would discourage some of this because it reduces the power of sellers and encourages more people to participate. The recent influx of people attempting to sell real world items and pricey eShop credits for TBT bells has been shocking, to say the least.

I couldn't agree more. I find it a bit sad that people go as far to buy eshop giftcard or items just to sell them for TBTs because they can no longer afford to keep on with the insane exchange rate. (Even by duping a lot, it would take a very long time to acquire just a 1000 TBTs, so to people who are genuinely honest and acquire their money through turnips and beetles farming, it is even harder for them) Although the gift cards are banned from being sold here on TBT, people will use other means that are accepted here such as selling Nintendo games.

I know it sounds absurd to regulate the rates as the market is supposed to be a free market, but in every economy you need to regulate otherwise it is going to collapse.

Although the gift cards are banned from being sold here on TBT, people will use other means that are accepted here such as selling Nintendo games.

It's not banned. Just highly frowned upon and we won't help if it goes south.

There is no rule banning it, it just states if you do sell IRL items, the mods will not help if you are scammed or if the trade goes sour.

The prices are so high for TBT right now because the buyers are making it so. There's big demand for TBT because of the collectibles right now. I don't think setting a flat rate is going to help it.
I myself never showed interest in collectibles until I got my first one from a giveaway. It was a cherry that popped my collectible virginity. Once I had that, I saw chocolate cake and eggs and pinwheels and poppers....hbdjflfyglfgadv. I just had to have it.

I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never have a pinwheel or a popper. I just don't think I'll ever be able to afford it, and I'm ok with it. I'd love it if there was an item limit per user, per restock though. But I can understand where people are coming from about the whole "freedom" thing. What if someone wants to fill their 2 lines with oranges?!*cough* If there was a limit, then it'd take that user quite a bit. Though that user could still purchase said oranges from other users. I honestly think limiting the amount per user would be beneficial to everyone.
It's not a big deal though. As pointed out before they're just pixels on a forum ^.^ and I know plenty of users who couldn't give a rat's ass about the shop and the collectibles. So I think the forum will be alright and still grow regardless of the current market issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back