• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Club Tortimer - What was your experience?

Most of my experiences have been very positive, a couple just kinda annoying (people running like crazy when you're trying to catch stuff), and thankfully very few truly bad. The bad ones, of course, make the best stories. Let's watch!

- Once, a girl arrived on my island, and immediately came up to me. I was catching things as usual, and she started repeatedly doing one of the "worried" emotes (the one where your character has sweat drops coming off them), and asked "????" She didn't trap me or anything thankfully, but she was pretty irritating. In the end, I gave her precisely 1,000 Bells, so she wouldn't be profiting from that particular trip unless she caught her own bugs & fish ;)

- Just this morning, I was filling up my island box when a Japanese guy arrived. He seemed fine at first, trying to communicate with me, and I responded in awkward romaji as best I could. I'm pretty damn sure I didn't say anything offensive, but suddenly he seemed to be angry with me. I was getting uncomfortable, not being able to really talk with him properly, so I went to leave. However, he wouldn't close his inventory. I tried several times, so the "Please close the window" notification definitely would have shown for him. Eventually, I simply sat down, as he stood behind the chairs. Fifteen minutes later, he realised I wasn't going to give up, so we switched me. Thankfully, a few different people had come and gone so about half of my bugs & fish were saved, but it still sucked. I think I lost a shark and a few golden stags.

- Here's the most detailed story, and definitely the funniest. This time it was an English-speaking beggar, possibly from the US, but I didn't think to check. He was asking for 10,000 Bells or so, to which I told him he was in the perfect place to make his own money (the time was even set to night on this island). He began claiming he was 9 years old and new to the game, having only got it a week ago, and that he just really wanted help.
Now, here's where his story utterly fell apart. He had blue hair, a shirt from Gracie's, and he was throwing out emotes like nobody's business. There is no way he had been playing for a week. He may have had a friend with a more advanced town, but I doubt it. I don't believe you can learn emotes from Shrunk in another town, and he takes at least two and a half weeks to unlock, even if you're playing aaaall the time.
In the end, I told him I didn't appreciate him lying to me, pointing out everything I mentioned above. He didn't really deny it, instead moving on to "please just give me some money". I told him where to stick it, and promptly left to catch myself some tuna. Felt good.

I had a really interesting experience on Club Tortimer earlier today. There was a girl who came on the island. We were catching bugs for a bit. She started chopping down all of the trees in the grassy part of the island and clearing everything out. Then she just started dropping tons and tons of bells - all bags of 99,900. She would drop as many as she could hold, then go back inside to the ATM, come out, and start dropping more!! I had caught so many good fish and beetles already, but I let them go to start picking up her cash and put them all in the box to go take home. I easily got over 2,000,000 bells - that was pretty awesome. Sadly, the game encountered some kind of error and sent me back home before I could talk to her too much, but all of my bells were still in the basket when I appeared back home. It was awesome!

I don't use club tortimer, ever. I'm too scared of strangers. Even doing trades here on Bell Tree gives me anxiety, haha.

I would use Club Tortimer but I fear I may get banned because I've used hacks (though reporting isn't possible thus it might be impossible to get banned). I have a lot of money and I wouldn't mind donating most of it. Not to mention there are some little kids who would yell at you for something that was because of them and not you.

Something very odd happened today...
I shipped off to one of the international islands, and a Japanese girl was already there. I went out to collect some tools, and saw that she was filling the entire middle section with 99,000 Bell bags. I didn't know what she was doing, but I ignored the money and started catching things. Eventually, the girl just left on a tour, not exchanging a single word with me. She didn't seem to care about the money at all, and if I'd also left, it would have just been deleted. I waited around for a good ten minutes and she didn't return, and unbelievably no one else arrived either. In the end I just banked the money myself, but I felt super dirty about it. Never had that particular situation happen before...

Last edited:
Usually isn't that bad for me at Club Tortimer.
Met a girl there and she seemed pretty nice.
Visited a island with a White Wetsuit and there was this Japenese guy saying some things, probably bad ones.
Somehow got into a flirting session between a guy and a girl, left quickly, but I kinda felt concerned.

This is why I only go to North America to prevent language confusion. But everytime I go to club Tortimer, I find some really nice people, usually there will be a quiet person, but yeah. One time I found a really weird trip. So I just arrived at the island and found 2 people, they were both really nice, one talked a lot, and the other didn't, but waited for me at the door. We fished and caught some bugs until the 4th person arrived, I wanted to plan something special so I got all of us to wait at the door outside. We waited for about 5 minutes, until I started to get impatient. So we rushed inside the hut. The 4th person was nowhere to be found, we also never got a notification that he went on a tour, so we went to the shop area. And of course he was in the shop area, but what's strange was that he was SITTING ON THE BED! He was SITTING on the BED UP FOR SALE! He was a hacker! And we were all saying "What?!?" "HOW!!" "WTH". But he was really nice anyways, he wasn't that talkative, but we went on tours together and got a lot of coins and he participated very well, and it was fun. SO yeah. :lemon:

This is why I only go to North America to prevent language confusion. But everytime I go to club Tortimer, I find some really nice people, usually there will be a quiet person, but yeah. One time I found a really weird trip. So I just arrived at the island and found 2 people, they were both really nice, one talked a lot, and the other didn't, but waited for me at the door. We fished and caught some bugs until the 4th person arrived, I wanted to plan something special so I got all of us to wait at the door outside. We waited for about 5 minutes, until I started to get impatient. So we rushed inside the hut. The 4th person was nowhere to be found, we also never got a notification that he went on a tour, so we went to the shop area. And of course he was in the shop area, but what's strange was that he was SITTING ON THE BED! He was SITTING on the BED UP FOR SALE! He was a hacker! And we were all saying "What?!?" "HOW!!" "WTH". But he was really nice anyways, he wasn't that talkative, but we went on tours together and got a lot of coins and he participated very well, and it was fun. SO yeah. :lemon:

Sounds like a guy with NTR! That's cool. If I had the time to kill I'd totally have fun with club tortimer and exploits as well. ^0^

Most of my experiences are bad. I either don't speak to anyone or there's kids just being kids. I don't mind going on tour with them, sometimes it's fun. I used to invite people to my town a lot but I'm very cautious and I also want to hit 100 visitors, especially since I've recently restarted.
I've met a few people who were probably around my age and it was really nice. I don't usually care about age but even 14 year olds I meet on Club Tortimer are super immature.

I actually go all the time! It's quite fun and sometimes you get really nice people who will just give you stuff for free. I almost always choose just my country since I can't speak any other languages. Everyone talks to me when I select just my country so I do end up exchanging fc's and stuff, I've never had any cases where people just ignore you probably because we speak the same language.

I think you could enjoy club tortimer if you just choose your own country :)

I would choose my own country's island, but I'm from New Zealand, and I've literally never been able to connect with anyone that way since so few people play here. I try my best to be polite on the islands, but the language barrier really does get in the way :/

I actually just recently bought a pass for the first time despite playing for almost 2 years. On my very first trip, I met a really cool guy who also had a tumblr so we connected through there after the island. Turns out we have the same sense of humor and interests, so I'd say Club Tortimer is awesome since it helped me make a great new friend! I've gone back since then but I mostly go now for the rarer gift shop items. :p

Just got paired with an awesome bug catcher (for once lol); I'd already cleared out the centre of the island, and the few palm trees right at the bottom. She used the same figure-eight path I do, walking down the middle of the island and walking up the sides to avoid startling anything, then switching sides. She managed to almost completely avoid me, and I her, so we only ever met in the middle.
THE SATISFACTION WAS REAL

Oh, I really only go to Club Tortimer to get the exclusive items. I've heard quite a few horror stories so I don't stay long.

I don't use club tortimer, ever. I'm too scared of strangers. Even doing trades here on Bell Tree gives me anxiety, haha.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Too much thinking really kills me. I wouldn't go to Club Tortimer if it weren't for those cool items.

Last edited:
I don't like going. I get anxious lol. And whenever I go, I always get paired up with someone who's afk.

Once I had someone who came in, saw me and left. :(

I typially opt in for going to tortimer with the country lock so i dont face the language problem you did, but once in a while I do go international and meet some japanese people. Actually, the two I met recently actually knew how to speak pretty good English, and we could talk together :)

I tend to stay within my region as well when it comes to club tortimer. Sometimes I run into pretty little kids, other times I run into other adults. I bonded with someone over both having 3rd gen pokemon town names when I first was on club tortimer lol.

When I do go to the island and there are japanese people, 9/10 times they speak english which is really awesome!
Other times there's no one and I get bored and leave :)

now i go there to bury bells and stuff in the ground just to see if people will find it, then leave. lol club tortimer should have had more but since it was a new feature i understand why there wasnt much. hopefully the next game will add more to keep it interesting

I used to make friends on CT especially Japanese people who could speak English, but I eventually got tired of going there lol.

Back