• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Club Tortimer - What was your experience?

I just tried it out today and only saw one japanese guy. Couldn't understand each other but did play two games with him before I left. It's ok. Club Tortimer is mostly for playing the tours with other players since it's not very ideal to do bug catching on it since it's a public island. also the connection errors which put whatever you collect online at risk.

I tried it out for the first time last night. I was there by myself for about a half hour and then someone joined. She was quite nice, but then I got disconnected from it.
I'll probably try it out again later today.

its on a different random island you can do what ever you want, and if you dont like you your playing with you can just leave no need to hit the wifi switch, also in the people your playing with section if you dont ever want to play with them again you can set it as such, they explain this to you when you start club tortimore for the 1st time

- - - Post Merge - - -

the first time i played it was with people from my region north america, and it was ok we didnt talk much and i sucked at most of the games lol, but when i played with someone from japan it was really boring, i guess the translation is ugly, because i asked her how is japan and she said yes lol...its meh i guess id rather play in my region

The reason I mentioned the wifi switch is because several people on this board have mentioned that some of the other players did something to inhibit them from leaving the island. They said they had to hit their wifi switch.

I actually just bought the membership yesterday, but I have yet to go. I have a hard time keeping up conversations with people for one thing, and I don't know any Japanese outside of greetings in romaji, so I probably wouldn't want to do international. I would only have some luck in communicating if the other person spoke French XD even then I would need google translate to help.

So I'll probably just stick to NA, lol...

Met a really sweet Japanese girl. We exchanged friendcodes and I got to see her freakin' gorgeous town. She also gave me a bunch of gifts, including a bubble wand, which I'm having way too much fun with.

First trip: I met a girl from Japan, she only knew how to say; "Friend!" in English. I tried talking to her, but she said; "No speak English." So, a little bit after that, I left.

Second trip: I chose to only meet with people from North America so I could avoid the Language barrier. I met one girl, Jordyn. We talked for a little bit, and then I went on a Scavenger Hunt tour by myself. When I came back, she was gone, and another girl, Redd, came and took her place. She was really nice, and we talked for a while, caught fish and bugs, went diving, and did a gardening tour together. Whenever I caught a fish or bug, she would run up to me and do the clapping emotion. :) Then, she ended up leaving. A few minutes later, someone took her place wearing an Egyptian style dress and the Pharoah's mask. It seemed nice enough, we chatted a little and caught bugs together... then it took off its' mask and I saw that it was a DUDE. I could have made the shocked expression right then, because from the way it talked and dressed I thought it was a girl... /nottryingtobesexistpleasedon'thurtme/ So I got freaked out and left the island because he had the wide-eyed face with no eyelashes.

But, overall, I've had good experiences with Club Tortimer. :)

I unfortunately had quite a bad experience to start with the first person came took some bananas and left. I decided to go outside and catch some of them rare beetles while waiting for someone else soon after someone else arrived bought the mermaid floor and left and then two minutes later it happened again.

eventually a 4th player came and started fishing .I went back to catching those elephant beetles and the black/blue ones. About 15 minutes of that later I decided not to push my luck and put my bugs in the box and selected the option to leave. well just before the saving screen came up I got a reseti error and lost 20 rare bugs :( not only could I not find anyone to do tours/talk to I lost all my bugs. moral of the story? I would of been better of buying the furniture

I tried it today a few times, the JPs although not extensively talkative got down to business and we did some good tours together. English speakers tended to just follow me round saying "hello" and "do you speak english" which of course I would answer to and then they seemed to get bored and just leave. :confused: So far I haven't had a real negative experience.

My only bug bear is when you see a fish/bug and you start approaching it only for the message to appear that someone is arriving and once the message finishes the island reloads and the bug/fish is gone. :(

I just tried this today, and it was pretty uneventful. I managed to grab some bananas and mangoes, and I did some fishing, which I will not do again, for the reasons Kitsch mentioned above. If I head back to Club Tortimer it will be for the tours, just because I'm intrigued by the idea.

The one person there when I arrived didn't speak, and had thoroughly butchered the island. in hopes of catching rare bugs. Kind of a wash.

It was a great experience for me to meet japanese gamers on new leaf. It's embarrassing for me to speak in japanese because i only took japanese class for 3 years and i'm not nearly as fluent as them. Overall the more i talk to them the more i start being motivated to go over my japanese notes and start reviewing so i can communicate with them right. It sucks that we can't type it in hiragana or katakana because i feel the same too, it feels like its rude to type in romanji to them.

Just a note: If someone messes the island up (ie: Breaking down the trees and flowers/bushes) go on a tour, come back and it should be fine.

Encountered my first annoying club member the other day, a JP girl hacking down trees. After I did the angry emote she apologised but carried on. I left.

So I tried it for the first time the other night...I walked in, and there was a girl running around chasing a butterfly. I said Hello. She didn't reply. So I figured, fine, I will just go catch some fish. I go over to where a shark is and in the process of luring it in, she leaves abruptly. This obviously caused me to lose the shark. So after she left, I go to catch a large beetle, and literally as I am sneaking up on it, it disconnected! So, overall, no luck for my first experience haha.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Encountered my first annoying club member the other day, a JP girl hacking down trees. After I did the angry emote she apologised but carried on. I left.

I have a feeling that most of the players who do these kinds of things are small children. I feel if I were a parent, I wouldn't allow my child to use multiplayer function on any games. You don't know who the people are that your child is playing with, and your child is probably to young to understand how cooperative play works. People just don't care I suppose.

4 visits with the North American connection I've met only one person. They were just standing in the lobby and didn't say anything so I just went about my routine of checking to see what was on sale and some bug hunting then I left.

4 visits with the Interanational connection and I've met three Japanese players during those visits. We never talked but we were polite with let each other and didn't interrupting each other when bug hunting or fishing.

Today it was also my first time in the Club Tortimer. I thought I would enjoying it and there would be so many people from other parts of the world, so that we exchange things and have great fun together. But it wasn't such a nice trip.

When I got to the island, there was a girl from Japan which ran with a net around the beach. She looked very funny and I tried to speak to her. I said 'Hi' - but there was no answer. Many attempts later - no answer. So I gave it up and went fishing. I didn't catch nice fishes, just small, not uncommon animals. :D After a few minutes came another girl from Japan. I tried to speak to her and - yes! - she answered me. ;DD But she was only one or two minutes on the island. Then I was alone with the not-speaking girl again.

But the one minute where the speaking girl was there, it was also very funny. We all saw a shark in the water. And we all wanted to catch that thing. :D And who got it in the end? It was meee. >:3 After that I tried to catch fish again for about 5 minutes, then I went 'home' again. ;b

I like the Club Tortimer someway, but it also can be very, very boring. ;s I think there are some important differences between our widths and global playing, you maybe find more nice people when you play in your widths. Maybe.

Last edited:
I've since gone back to Club Tortimer, and quite honestly, I've had a much better experience with international players than fellow American players, who have (generally speaking, mind you) been poorly socialized, inconsiderate and obnoxious. Maybe it was an unlucky streak- who knows?

But my experiences with Japanese gamers have been great, despite the language differences.

I was on an island filled with japanese people but none of them could read romaji and I couldn't talk to them because we have every other language on our keyboard BUT japanese!

Played once on International. That was quite fun. I was playing with 3 Japanese players, but one spoke a little bit of English, and was talking to me too. They all seemed OK, and the tours we played were good.

Second time, I played on the "my country" mode. It was less busy. I arrived to 1 other player, and another arrived for a while later on. Was worth it, being able to talk to them properly, though. It'd probably be busier if I was playing at a more "peak" time.

I met a nice person named Hannah, we played around 5 games, (taking turns to choose) and then afterward we went fishing and bug catching on the island for a pretty long time, was a ton of fun, sadly I could not add her because she was using her brothers 3ds, and did not know how to add people, and I had to leave so i did not have time to explain how to. :( . I think we could have become good friends.

So I have had a good experience so far :)

Last edited:
I actually went on again today, and I met a Spanish-speaking person! Since I've been learning Spanish for the past 5 years, it was really fun to be able to use it with other people in a real-world situation. We added each other and have visited each other's towns now! :3

Back