• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Best personality types to have 2 or more of?

RosasMom

Bells
Hi! Obviously in the game, we only get 10 villagers and there are 8 personality types, so there will be duplicate personality types. In your opinion and experience, what are the best personality types to have more than one of? I would like to have one of each and then an extra of 2 types, but I'm not sure which types to duplicate. Specific issues I wonder about are:

• Does having 2 of a personality type open up different dialogue for that type or does it just go through that types dialogue faster? The game gave my daughter 2 lazy characters and while there is a lot of repetition between the two, it seems to me like there is a lot more variation than what my one lazy villager says. Mine only talks about food and bugs, but my daughter's lazy villagers have a little more to say than just that. Is this because she has 2 of the same type or because she's had those villagers for so much longer than I've had mine? The game gave me 3 smug villagers. I got rid of one by letting him go when he asked if he should leave - happy day! - but I still have two left, and I have not seen too much duplicate dialogue between the two. No more than they repeat themselves anyway.

• Should I have two of the same type that I think I will like most (for example cranky) or should I only have one of my favorite type to keep that villager "special" with only that one having that dialogue?

How have you made decisions on this subject? Or did the game make your decision for you (as it did me with my plethora of smugs)?

Thanks!

Personality types seem to have subtypes in the game that determine things like their hobby, and I think also a little of their dialogue. There's a thread about it here that has some links to sites with more information.

So, probably, if you want to double up on a personality type, first, choose one that you like, and second, perhaps try to choose one from each subtype to get the most variety in their behavior and dialogue. But it might not really make much of a difference in the end.

I personally didn't bother looking into subtypes specifically to choose my villagers. I just chose ones that I liked that I happened to find on NMT islands or the campsite, or with amiibo that I happened to get in random packs. So, I currently have two smugs and two crankies, not because I set out to have that combination, but because those were the villagers that I liked that I happened to find randomly one way or another. I even had three normals for a while, because I found so many cute ones on NMT islands. ^o^;>

Personality types seem to have subtypes in the game that determine things like their hobby, and I think also a little of their dialogue. There's a thread about it here that has some links to sites with more information.

So, probably, if you want to double up on a personality type, first, choose one that you like, and second, perhaps try to choose one from each subtype to get the most variety in their behavior and dialogue. But it might not really make much of a difference in the end.

I personally didn't bother looking into subtypes specifically to choose my villagers. I just chose ones that I liked that I happened to find on NMT islands or the campsite, or with amiibo that I happened to get in random packs. So, I currently have two smugs and two crankies, not because I set out to have that combination, but because those were the villagers that I liked that I happened to find randomly one way or another. I even had three normals for a while, because I found so many cute ones on NMT islands. ^o^;>
omg, SO many cute normals!!! lol

I'm having a heck of a time choosing. I bought 10 amiibos and had a rough time narrowing it down to just those 10. Now that I have them, I have to narrow it down to only 5 because I want 5 of my current ones to stay. Funnily enough, one of the 5 that I'm keeping is Klaus, a villager that I was originally horrified to get. He's really grown on me though and I now want him to stay. He and Pietro are different enough so far that they don't feel like duplicates of each other. Both in their looks and their demeanor, they are different enough so that even if they do share a line or two, it doesn't have the same feel. Kinda like how two different actors can make the same lines feel very different.

I'll have to look into the sub-personality types. That sounds interesting. I remember someone else mentioning that they have A or B types. I forgot about that and will have to look into it more. As you say, that could possibly help me to narrow down my selection.

For your experience with having duplicates, did you find that they had lots of duplicate dialogue or was it different enough that the game play was still interesting? Which (if any) are the least duplicative?

I honestly don't talk much to my villagers just for the sake of talking to them. I would talk to ones that I didn't get a photo from every day, and give them two non-native fruits in wrapping paper as a gift every day, until I got their photo. When I was farming favors for the stamps, I didn't actually read the dialogue very closely, I just quickly skipped past it while hoping they would give me a favor to do.

Now, I just talk to villagers once a day maybe, if I happen to see them walking by, or if they're thinking about something or run up to me wanting to say something. So, I don't really encounter any duplicate dialogue on any given day. If you're really enthusiastically talking to your villagers multiple times every day, I think it's inevitable that you'll run into duplicate dialogue, and that might be just a limitation of the game that you'll have to come to terms with.

Otherwise, I think you should just see which personalities you like the most, and get more of those. For instance, I have never had more than one jock, because I don't even like the dialogue of the one jock that I have. I like him, but I roll my eyes a little every time he talks about exercising again. So if I had two or more jocks, I would probably be even more irritated by their dialogue. So, it's up to your personal taste. Do you find crankies amusing, or do you find them abrasive? Do you think peppies' vivacity is fun, or annoying? Does smugs' misuse of foreign words make you laugh, or does it grate on you? Maybe you're the opposite from me, and you think jocks' obsession with exercising is funny or otherwise enjoyable. It just depends on what you like, I think.

For me, I only have the Cranky, Smug, Jock, and Lazy. I tried to get Midge at the campsite, but she was being stubborn lol

Anyway, if you asked me, I would say get doubles of your favorite personalities. Since it would be more fun to have a double of a personality you like, then a double of a personality that your not very fond of.

Ive got 3 smug, 3 lazy, 3 Cranky, and one little jock. But Cranky, and Smug are my favorites, so thats why I have more of them. I had two jocks, but then Sasha changed that, plus Lazy villagers are adorable.

Then Kid Cat is my favorite villager, so of course hes there.

So just go with a double of a personality you like the most ^^ if you like Normal, have two normals, or even three. Normals are cuties,

Last edited:
For me, doubling up on my favorite personality types has worked well! I have two lazies (Erik and Sherb) and two normals (Nana and Maple). Even if Nana is my all-time favorite, she still feels special and different enough from Maple (design-wise, the way they sing the town tune, their houses, etc.) that it doesn't feel too repetitive. Plus, the two seem to be good friends, which is adorable.

I have a soft spot for crankies, too, and may swap out a lazy for another cranky instead.

Last edited:
As I stated a few times in this forum, already, I rather not have more than one villager of a particular personality, but if I had to choose: Normals, and I guess Lazies.

-Normals, I find, are the quintessential animals of the series. I love how grounded their designs are (for the most part) and I enjoy the occasionally maternal streak that they exude.

-Lazies, being essentially the male counterpart, naturally makes me gravitate towards them more than the other male-based types. The designs of some Lazy villagers are a bit disgusting, though.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone for your opinions. Keep 'em coming! I love to hear what everyone thinks!

As mentioned above, subtypes can make seemingly similar personalities quite different. For a long while, I tried to keep at least one of each personality on my island, both for diversity in convo but also to get various personality-attached DIY.

However, as I discovered as I collected those villagers that I really wanted, it became clear there is a lot of variation within each personaliy. Marshall and Julian each seem quite unique, despite being both smugs, and even Punchy and Sasha talk a lot less about bugs than another laxy like a Sherb or a Beau. Plus, to be honest, I would rather double-up on a personality that I do like than keep one that I don’t (sorry, Snootys, but you all sound like stuffy old ladies by calling me daaaaarling all day).

In the end, I do think some variation is nice, but a little overlap in order to get someone you want is not going to upset the game.

i have two snooties on my island most of the time, francine and diana. diana isnt a permanent resident since i use her land plot for cycling, but for the time ive had diana, she seems to be different from francine. i love how sweet the snooties get when you get high friendship from them, it makes me feel like i'm part of a cool girl clique lol. but not as clique-y. nicer.

also, lazy villagers are super fun to have more than one of if you have space. i had zucker and beau and loved them both

So I just looked up subtypes for my own and my daughter's villagers. Turns out both of her lazy villagers are almost identical in their stats, yet they do have different dialogue. (both subtype B, Play hobby, Simple/Active style, and even both Capricorn!). This leads me to believe that the game makes an effort to vary the dialogue for villagers of the same type. Hugh has more philosophical dialogue while Simon is a big goof. Both do have some of the same lines, but their differences are steady within each character (Simon never says anything philosophical for example), despite having the same subtype.

This gives me hope for longer term interest with my 2 smugs that I have become attached to, Klaus and Pietro. Both are subtype A, but one has the music hobby and the other education. This already gives them different behaviors while walking around, so helps them feel different. Plus, their appearance alone couldn't be more different. And like I said previously, so far, in my admittedly small amount of game play, there hasn't been a tremendous amount of repetition. If 2 lazy villagers with the same subtype and hobby can "feel" different, then surely I'll be fine with Klaus and Pietro. Also, if I ever tire of one, it's not as though I'm stuck with them forever.
Post automatically merged:

i have two snooties on my island most of the time, francine and diana. diana isnt a permanent resident since i use her land plot for cycling, but for the time ive had diana, she seems to be different from francine. i love how sweet the snooties get when you get high friendship from them, it makes me feel like i'm part of a cool girl clique lol. but not as clique-y. nicer.

also, lazy villagers are super fun to have more than one of if you have space. i had zucker and beau and loved them both
My daughter has Judy, who she got through the campsite, and she is super cute and SO sweet! And her 2 lazies (Hugh and Simon) are both funny and cute as well!

I would say either have 2 Normals or 2 Crankys. I've seen an interesting conversation between Apollo and Fang and lets just say they sometimes get a long but other times they don't.

If you care about getting all the reactions and DIYs I would have a duplicate sisterly and smug(You already do though) since smugs are the least common male personality and sisterly villagers are the least common female personality and least common personality overall with only 26 in New horizons therefore making recipes hard to come by as a random DIY bottle.

Best personality types to have 2 or more of?

There is no answer as to which is best.

It really depends on you, the person who is playing your game copy (island), and what you will do.

If you have a theme in mind…then you can really wonder what is the correct answer. But, nobody has to have an island theme. That is something some people do.

It is your choice. Your game copy. Your island. Your experience.

For me the best ones are normal,sisterly and cranky. I have 3 normals on my island. I have 1 sisterly and 1 cranky. They are all great. The smug personality is good too but some of them seem really full of themselves and come off as huge jerks(*cough colton cough*). Snooties are ok too now that they have tones down the meanness. The issue I have with the others is the repetitiveness, meaning they talk almost exclusively about one thing. Lazies talk about bugs(like they live with them and are roommates or something) but I find that funny. The jocks care for nothing but building muscle(being jocks you would think they would talk about sports but no). The worst to me is the peppies who are obsessed with becoming popstars and never shut up about it. Its just seriously annoying. If the repetition doesnt bother you I would say just say talk to your villagers and figure out which personalities you like best or forget the personality and just go for villagers you think are cute, cool whatever you like about them. Sometimes you can just go island hopping and talk to whoever you find and just come across someone you like by accident.

If you had to pick, I’d say go with having two different sub types for the sisterly, cranky, snooty, or smug personalities. They’ll have slightly different dialogue, but this way they’ll also have different waving gestures, and the other 4 personalities are always the same. There are also a few newer villagers that work different, like Shino and Rilla who are peppies but do the one hand wave instead of two like all other peppies, or Marty and Chelsea who do the dainty finger wave instead of the regular wave like all other lazies and normals.

If you care about getting all the reactions and DIYs I would have a duplicate sisterly and smug(You already do though) since smugs are the least common male personality and sisterly villagers are the least common female personality and least common personality overall with only 26 in New horizons therefore making recipes hard to come by as a random DIY bottle.
That's a really interesting perspective and one that never would have occurred to me. Thank you!

As it happens, Tammy asked to leave and I just replaced her with one of my dreamies, Annalisa. I just love the way she looks. I plan on replacing Carrie (the other normal) at some point since she is less suited to my aesthetic, but not necessarily with another normal. I do have 2 other sisterly candidates that I am considering but have been reluctant to have a second since it seems that their dialogue is more repetitive than others (although that may be incorrect and only my perception). It just seems that Muffy has already used a lot of the same lines as my daughter's sisterly, Frita. I guess that's not the end of the world really, since dialogue seems to be the weakest part of this game. I guess I'm trying to maximize my experience in this regard and getting people's opinions and experiences on the subject is part of my research.

What you say regarding the DIYs is a really good point though and one to seriously consider. Thanks! :)

There is no answer as to which is best.

It really depends on you, the person who is playing your game copy (island), and what you will do.

If you have a theme in mind…then you can really wonder what is the correct answer. But, nobody has to have an island theme. That is something some people do.

It is your choice. Your game copy. Your island. Your experience.
Thank you, I agree it is ultimately up to me. I do enjoy hearing others' experiences and opinions though. I do realize that "best" is entirely subjective but again, I enjoy the perspective of other players and am grateful when they are willing to share their experience and opinions with me. :giggle:

For me the best ones are normal,sisterly and cranky. I have 3 normals on my island. I have 1 sisterly and 1 cranky. They are all great. The smug personality is good too but some of them seem really full of themselves and come off as huge jerks(*cough colton cough*). Snooties are ok too now that they have tones down the meanness. The issue I have with the others is the repetitiveness, meaning they talk almost exclusively about one thing. Lazies talk about bugs(like they live with them and are roommates or something) but I find that funny. The jocks care for nothing but building muscle(being jocks you would think they would talk about sports but no). The worst to me is the peppies who are obsessed with becoming popstars and never shut up about it. Its just seriously annoying. If the repetition doesnt bother you I would say just say talk to your villagers and figure out which personalities you like best or forget the personality and just go for villagers you think are cute, cool whatever you like about them. Sometimes you can just go island hopping and talk to whoever you find and just come across someone you like by accident.
So far, in my limited experience from my own island and from observing my daughter play on her island, I agree with you completely. However, reading your perspective kind of helped me to clarify something in my mind (so thank you for that!). My daughter has 2 peppies and really likes them. She finds them to be super cute and funny. However, because she has 2, and because she and I play so closely together, maybe I don't really NEED a peppy at all. I have been considering Dotty, but there are other characters I like more but are either sisterly, cranky, or snooty. But you have a good point: I can skip a personality type altogether to make room for someone I like better. Hmmmm....

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you had to pick, I’d say go with having two different sub types for the sisterly, cranky, snooty, or smug personalities. They’ll have slightly different dialogue, but this way they’ll also have different waving gestures, and the other 4 personalities are always the same. There are also a few newer villagers that work different, like Shino and Rilla who are peppies but do the one hand wave instead of two like all other peppies, or Marty and Chelsea who do the dainty finger wave instead of the regular wave like all other lazies and normals.
That's really interesting to know! I didn't realize that the other 4 personalities are the same regardless of subtype. I did read that subtype doesn't affect much, only a little dialogue, so this is good to know that it does affect their body language a bit. I've been focusing on hobbies as well since that affects what they do while walking around. Elvis and Klaus for example, walk around with glasses and a book since their hobby is education, while Muffy and Pietro are the most likely to sing since their hobby is music.

The problem I'm having with subtypes is that the villagers I've narrowed my search down to, have the same types. For example, I have Elvis and am considering adding Apollo (both cranky), but both have subtype B. I have sisterly Muffy and am considering adding Katt or Agnes, but again, all are subtype A. I think I may go with 2 snooties since I am having a really tough time deciding between them and they at least have different subtypes, different hobbies, and different styles: Tiffany and Greta.

I was considering Rilla since my daughter has that amiibo set, but now I'm not sure I feel I need a peppy at all. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks all, for your input and opinions! I appreciate hearing your experience and thoughts. I do realize that this is not life or death decision making here, but it is fun and a harmless way to spend time. I am enjoying playing this game with my daughter and enjoying connecting with you folks on this forum. All those with additional thoughts and opinions are welcome to chime in! :)

I've had doubles of each personality at one time or the other. Generally what works for me when I have two different villagers from one personality is to make sure they have such different looks and appeal that even if they say the same dialogue it comes across in a different way. Like it's being said with a different tone and emphasis even if the words are the same. That said, some of those type of pairings work better for me than others.

The ones I like doubles of most are Cranky, Smug, and Snooty.
Cranky is one of my favorite personalities, and when doing two of those I like to have one that looks mean/evil and one that has a cuter appeal. I also like having a really mean looking one paired with one who looks really cool and reserved. For Smug I like to have 1 performer type and one who's not. Like one is a professional performer and one is more of a wannabe. Snooty is another I like to double on, usually with one elegant one and one that seems more down to earth.

Jock and Lazy are ones I can have a little trouble having two of, because they both have dialogue that is very centered on one thing and so I'm more likely to get tired of hearing about it. I do enjoy having 1 robot Jock and 1 normal Jock, though. Since robots can't actually improve their muscles by working out they come across as different even with the same dialogue. For Lazy villagers I like having one childish one so that the gross things he says ends up feeling more like he's just being a kid, paired with another who has an odd or ugly character design that embraces the grossness.

I almost never have doubles of Sisterly because it's my least favorite personality, has the fewest villagers to choose from, and a lot of the Sisterlies have the same type of appeal. I enjoy Peppy villagers, but have found that I often end up becoming a fan of one of the two Peppy villagers and then end up shunting the other one to the side and not talking to them as much, so they are another I rarely have two of.

For the Normal personality I usually keep 1 I really like and have the other Normal spot rotating - because there are just too many fantastic Normal villagers not to keep switching it up.

I started a new playthrough a while ago where I'm trying to make use of my large amiibo collection, so I've been doing things a little differently because I'm switching through so many villagers. So I've been using my 2 extra spots for 2 villagers from the same personality. But instead of getting different ones I've chosen ones with the same appeal that I'd place in the same general tier and making it into a competition to see which one does that specific appeal best. Once I've decided on that, I put in another versus pair. Villagers I've done this with so far include Moose and Samson, Astrid and Mathilda, Cube and Wade, and Bangle and Bianca.

Last edited:
Back