• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Best personality types to have 2 or more of?

I've had doubles of each personality at one time or the other. Generally what works for me when I have two different villagers from one personality is to make sure they have such different looks and appeal that even if they say the same dialogue it comes across in a different way. Like it's being said with a different tone and emphasis even if the words are the same. That said, some of those type of pairings work better for me than others.

The ones I like doubles of most are Cranky, Smug, and Snooty.
Cranky is one of my favorite personalities, and when doing two of those I like to have one that looks mean/evil and one that has a cuter appeal. I also like having a really mean looking one paired with one who looks really cool and reserved. For Smug I like to have 1 performer type and one who's not. Like one is a professional performer and one is more of a wannabe. Snooty is another I like to double on, usually with one elegant one and one that seems more down to earth.

Jock and Lazy are ones I can have a little trouble having two of, because they both have dialogue that is very centered on one thing and so I'm more likely to get tired of hearing about it. I do enjoy having 1 robot Jock and 1 normal Jock, though. Since robots can't actually improve their muscles by working out they come across as different even with the same dialogue. For Lazy villagers I like having one childish one so that the gross things he says ends up feeling more like he's just being a kid, paired with another who has an odd or ugly character design that embraces the grossness.

I almost never have doubles of Sisterly because it's my least favorite personality, has the fewest villagers to choose from, and a lot of the Sisterlies have the same type of appeal. I enjoy Peppy villagers, but have found that I often end up becoming a fan of one of the two Peppy villagers and then end up shunting the other one to the side and not talking to them as much, so they are another I rarely have two of.

For the Normal personality I usually keep 1 I really like and have the other Normal spot rotating - because there are just too many fantastic Normal villagers not to keep switching it up.

I started a new playthrough a while ago where I'm trying to make use of my large amiibo collection, so I've been doing things a little differently because I'm switching through so many villagers. So I've been using my 2 extra spots for 2 villagers from the same personality. But instead of getting different ones I've chosen ones with the same appeal that I'd place in the same general tier and making it into a competition to see which one does that specific appeal best. Once I've decided on that, I put in another versus pair. Villagers I've done this with so far include Moose and Samson, Astrid and Mathilda, Cube and Wade, and Bangle and Bianca.
Wow, great feedback! Thanks so much! I have much less experience with the game and much of the knowledge I have is from watching my daughter play (she's been playing much longer than I have). What I have seen on our islands agrees with your experience. Specifically, my 2 smugs are so different from each other that even when they do say exactly the same thing, it feels different because of their delivery. Klaus has that too-cool-for-the-room look most of the time and very upright posture, while Pietro has that hunched sheep posture and sweet, smiling facial expression.

I have made my life easier by deciding not to choose between the 2 snooties that I've been torn between: Tiffany and Greta. Both completely different looks and vibes - basically they couldn't be more different. Greta is elegant, dainty, and refined, while Tiffany looks like she's been in a few bar fights and won. Both look like cool women in their own rights. I have a few other snooties that I would like to try but I have amiibos for these 2, so obviously I'll start there.

I have Apollo and I anticipate liking the crankies best, but I read that he has the same subtype as Elvis, so I'm not sure if I should look for an A subtype, or if I should forget it and just use Apollo since I already have him. Honestly, I don't trust the subtype list I found anyway, because I believe that I have already found inaccuracies. For example, my daughter has Hugh and Simon, both lazy villagers. Both are listed as subtype B and are supposed to be more "mature and questioning things." This is true of Hugh, but Simon is totally the A subtype, talking about food, bugs, and being a superhero. There were other villagers that were listed incorrectly, so I think I'll just have to start with appearance and go from there.

I agree with you about Jock villagers. I adore Cousteau because he's so cute, but I wouldn't want another of his type. My daughter has Samson and she loves him but again, she feels no need for another.

I don't think I'll try another sisterly. I really like Muffy's look and I think she might be the opposite subtype of Frita (my daughter's sisterly), and my daughter loves Frita so much that she won't get another sisterly so that she can keep Frita's dialogue unique. While there are many things that both Muffy and Frita say the same, it would be ideal if they had some different things as well. I had Tammy from the start of the game but she asked to leave recently and I let her go. I don't intend to replace her since I already had Muffy from an island tour. I plan to just have the one sisterly to help keep Frita special and my daughter's game play more enjoyable.

I love your idea of the competition! Who won in the "battles" so far? :giggle:

Last edited:
The battles are totally subjective, so I get why other people may not agree, but I'll post the results anyway since you asked.

Samson vs. Moose Winner Samson. Moose was a little too zany for me - he always has one eyebrow arched way up his forehead and the other squished down against his eye, and it can be weird. I liked Samson's mischievous feel and cartoony looks better, and I also liked how varied Samson's facial expressions are.

Cube vs. Wade Winner Wade It was hard to choose a winner for these two. I felt like it would be best to base which I had in my town on the time of year. Wade looks like a Snowboy from the back and goes well with winter. Cube is more brightly colored and feels more suited to a tropical summer even though he's a penguin. But in the end Wade's expression and gradient from white to black seemed cuter to me than Cube's x eyes.

Bianca vs. Bangle Winner Bianca. I was actually a little more attached to Bangle. However I felt Bianca's design was a bit more original because instead of being a standard tiger she's a snow leopard. Bianca's also an especially good Peppy with her leopard pattern, pale blue and purple colors, and beautiful blue eyes. Whereas Bangle feels like she could do well in any personality. Bangle's so cute, though.

Mathilda vs. Astrid Winner Mathilda. Mathilda's design went all out with her evilness, which I ended up appreciating more than Astrid's slightly prickly feel. If a character's evil looking enough dialogue that's got a touch of meanness to it comes across as funny rather than like they're picking on you, for me at least.

The battles are totally subjective, so I get why other people may not agree, but I'll post the results anyway since you asked.

Samson vs. Moose Winner Samson. Moose was a little too zany for me - he always has one eyebrow arched way up his forehead and the other squished down against his eye, and it can be weird. I liked Samson's mischievous feel and cartoony looks better, and I also liked how varied Samson's facial expressions are.

Cube vs. Wade Winner Wade It was hard to choose a winner for these two. I felt like it would be best to base which I had in my town on the time of year. Wade looks like a Snowboy from the back and goes well with winter. Cube is more brightly colored and feels more suited to a tropical summer even though he's a penguin. But in the end Wade's expression and gradient from white to black seemed cuter to me than Cube's x eyes.

Bianca vs. Bangle Winner Bianca. I was actually a little more attached to Bangle. However I felt Bianca's design was a bit more original because instead of being a standard tiger she's a snow leopard. Bianca's also an especially good Peppy with her leopard pattern, pale blue and purple colors, and beautiful blue eyes. Whereas Bangle feels like she could do well in any personality. Bangle's so cute, though.

Mathilda vs. Astrid Winner Mathilda. Mathilda's design went all out with her evilness, which I ended up appreciating more than Astrid's slightly prickly feel. If a character's evil looking enough dialogue that's got a touch of meanness to it comes across as funny rather than like they're picking on you, for me at least.
Thanks so much! I so agree that the appearance can change the way the dialogue comes across.
My daughter has Samson and completely agrees with your assessment, btw. :giggle:

I have a few jockey types on my island I find their personality's so calming and fun to be around. I am always happy to have even more jockey types living on my island.

Peppies. I currently have 2, as I let one of my other ones move out (but I have her amiibo) and I want another peppy amiibo for my birthday. I literally can't have enough of them. They're adorable, and they kinda remind me of my crazy friends, so I really really like them. i just love the fact that they want to be popstars, because i love singing too. and they are literally never boring. they're hilarious.
The personality I hate the most is snooty. one day, blanche (my only snooty, soon to move out) said "are you done giving me the silent treatment?" i just took it incredibly personally and it was very upsetting. and also, they just come off as stuck up brats.

I think it's all personal opinion. This is how it would work for me.

No duplicates for: Smug, Jock, Uchi, Cranky.

Duplicates ok for: Normal, Lazy, Peppy.

Toss-up: Snooty.

I have two normals, and two snooties on my island. I think those are the most bearable to have duplicates of, lol

I have an extra Normal and Lazy. Pleasant low-key types that don't cause lots of drama. Kind of fitting for a cat island. 🐈

Having 2 Cranky villagers is great. I saw the two of them interact and they were talking about who is the most cranky.

I have two normals (Rhonda and Norma), two sisterlies (Shari and Reneigh), and two crankies (Rizzo and Hamphrey). I love them all lol, but have no idea if they prompt unique dialogue or not.

I feel like with any of the personalities, it would start to wear thin having 2 or more of. It just really depends on your preference. I remember I had maybe 3 peppy villagers in NL and I happened to talk to all three closely together and they all said the same exact line. It really threw me out of the immersion.

For me lazy was butchered from what they once were, so I can only deal with one. Same goes for cranky. They used to be so interesting and now their whole personality is just about how old they are.

I feel like with any of the personalities, it would start to wear thin having 2 or more of. It just really depends on your preference. I remember I had maybe 3 peppy villagers in NL and I happened to talk to all three closely together and they all said the same exact line. It really threw me out of the immersion.

For me lazy was butchered from what they once were, so I can only deal with one. Same goes for cranky. They used to be so interesting and now their whole personality is just about how old they are.
Yeah when you realize that villagers were talking the same way as each other it just makes you wonder if they are clones of themselves depending on their personality.

I generally go with one extra normal because there are a ton of them with nice designs. I often end up with two lazies even though they talk too much about bugs in a non flattering way. They have a lot of designs as well.

I really should aim for two crankies sometime. I don't think I've seen them interact with each other before and it could be interesting. Esp if you also have two jocks or two sisterly. Lol.

I honestly think it just depends. For me personally, having 2 of a personality is going to take away from both villagers in a way since they both are going to say the same things. So, I usually base it on designs/aesthetics or just let the game decide for me.

For example, I tend to like a lot of the Cranky designs, so I usually have 2 cranky villagers (this has been true since New Leaf). I know with having 10 villagers, you basically have to have duplicate personalities, but I make sure to have at least 1 of each personality just so I don't get bored.

I don't think I could do 3 of one villager type. I would probably be motivated to get one of them to move out ASAP lol.

I like to have at least one of every personality to mix it up which leaves room for 2 repeats. For the female personalities, I like the energy of peppy villagers and think the other three personalities are boring, so I'll probably stick with Tangy and Ruby. For males, I feel like the personalities are more distinct and could see myself going with another lazy, jock, or cranky. I think I like lazy the most and will probably go with Beau to fill the upcoming vacancy on my island, but I'm also considering Roald (jock) and Kabuki (cranky) for that opening.

i wouldn’t say that there is a best personality to have 2 or more of; it all depends on personal preference. villager dialogue can get repetitive and boring fast when you have multiple of a personality though, so if that’s something that bugs you, i would recommend having repeat personalities with different sub-types (ex. dobie, who is a sub-type-A cranky and fang, who is a sub-type-B cranky). the dialogue will still pretty much be the same, but there’ll be some refreshing differences. every villager has a different hobby as well, so having villagers with the same personality but different hobbies could also help diversify them.

i always end up having multiple normal and peppy villagers — their designs are so cute, and so many of my favourite villagers are peppy or normal, i can’t have just 1 of each! the normal dialogue is my favourite as well. my current villager lineup isn’t permanent, but right now i have 3 peppies and 2 normals. i also have 3 sisterlies lol. the repetitive dialogue is the only complaint i have, but i plan on getting rid of 2 of my sisterlies and 1 of my normals, so that’ll help. i don’t mind having 3 peppies, but 3 peppies and 3 sisterlies is a bit much. gotta get some male villagers in so that beau isn’t the only guy anymore lol.

I have 3 lazy (Barold, Sasha, and Hopkins) and 2 peppy (Audie, who was one of my starters, and Shino). No jocks, I find them very annoying.
I don't think there is a best personality to have multiple of, it all really comes down to what you prefer

Cranky, normal and lazy for me. I'll have two normal villagers and two lazy villagers on my island, based on their appareance. One thing is sure, I don't like sisterly and jock personalities. Infortunately, we begin with them and I need one of each on my island for dialogues and recipes.

On my old island I had 5 lazies at once so I don't really mind them. It really comes to preference and for me I only care about the design. If the design is well done I welcome the villager with open arms despite its personality. Since personalities are tied to sex I had a lot of males on my old island. It really comes down to whether you think the game's dialogue is interesting or not. I don't really think it is so I gravitate more to the designs instead.

I require at least one villager of each personality on my main island, and that holds somewhat true on my backup island as well. On Wahu, I have two smugs (Lopez & Kyle) and two peppies (Patty & Dotty). On backup island Parkwood, I have three lazies (Filbert, Punchy and Beau) and no other duplicates. I honestly think that I could've been better off with two crankies or two lazies instead on Wahu, but I've forever associated all the lazy dialogue with Bob and most of the cranky dialogue with Tom, so there's really no changing that now.

I'd love to see arguments involving two cranky or jock villagers, as that usually leads to hilarious things. Lazy villagers just become amazed with how similar they are to each other, and I find that kind of cute actually. Not sure how it is with sisterly villagers, and I'd imagine it would be a beauty contest against the snooty villagers. I haven't encountered those dialogue moments at all, so if I'm wrong, well...

Back