• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Personality Subtypes - The Details

aibo

Anonymous Something Or Other
Bells
Switch
6277-5239-8887
The Explanation
The New Horizons Companion Guide leaves an infuriatingly exciting note on the page detailing personality types- "each resident can have one of eight personality types, each with two sub-types". It leaves you with more questions than it does answers.

I don't claim to know everything about what's going on under the hood in this game- it's 100% possible that there are additional variables that might make the sub-types relevant. In addition, the tools I used to examine the game's contents were intended for Breath of the Wild (https://zeldamods.org/wiki/Main_Page), which does end up obfuscating certain aspects of the files. @_Ninji mentions an eventual release of a fork of one of these tools specifically for ACNH, so the entire mass files will absolutely be worth reexamining in the future with more personpower- I personally do not posses the binary wizardry to go into the raw info. Alas!

With that said, I am sad to be the first on the Bell Tree to announce that the personality sub-types affect only one tree of dialogue. Thankfully, it's an interesting tree of dialogue! Here's how we know:
Each villager has a parameter called NpcTalkType- it's a boolean, so that's either a one or a zero (two states). Here's the complete readout of every single villager with every single point of data associated with them: (ggs Astro on the awesome sheet)

At first there wasn't much to support the theory that the NpcTalkTypes were the sub-types, but the fact that there is only one variable associated with a villager that has only two options was compelling. Now we know that NpcTalkType specifically influences dialogue, though.

Animal Crossing manages the flow of character interactions with a system created inside Nintendo called EventFlow. There's no code- it doesn't handle the randomness or the actual selection of the dialogue- but it provides a literal flowchart for the game's interactions to follow. Therefore, I don't know when exactly this dialogue will activate, but it sits directly alongside the common villager interaction dialogue trees where it picks randomly for dialogue in specific categories- asking questions, the dialogue when you first interact with a villager, when you talk to a villager and they want something in your inventory, or just the basic interactions when nothing else is of note. These specific dialogue options could be common or rare- it's something that will have to be determined via reverse-engineering the game's code. But they sure do exist.

alwaysab.png

Here's the tree influenced by the sub-type, or NpcTalkType. Your game checks if your villager's type is a 0 or a 1- in the case of a 1, the villager pulls dialogue from the 'AlwaysA' category- if it's a 0, it pulls from 'AlwaysB'.

If you're interested in exploring these differences for yourself, check out GoogleBen's visualization of the dialogue CSVs. (Spoilers from here on out!)
https://googleben.github.io/ACNHDialog/
The relevant dialogue is under TalkNNpc/B1_Bo/Free/BO_FreeA_AlwaysA and TalkNNpc/B1_Bo/Free/BO_FreeA_AlwaysB, using Lazy as an example. The personalities are as follows:
Lazy: B1_Bo
Jock: B2_Ge
Cranky: B3_Ko
Smug: B4_Zk

Sweet: G1_Fu
Peppy: G2_Ge
Snooty: G3_Ot
Big Sister: G4_An

There are a couple of lines differentiating the personalities that highlight surprising differences in worldview between the sub-types... but that's about it. The dialogue specific to each sub-type is definitely there, but, again, it's a very small selection compared to the rest of the dialogue for the personality types.

The Quick Q&A
Should I plan my island around the sub-types?

I would say no- just pick the villagers you like, regardless of their NpcTalkType value. The selection of dialogue specific to each villager sub-type is pretty small. If you're the type of person that lives for unique dialogue choices, it could be worth it, but it's really just up to you and not a huge deal!

Is this the same thing as villager interests?
No. Villager interests are not the same thing and as far as I can tell do not affect dialogue. Villager interests are fun, but they are associated with activities/movement- not personality type.

Is this why some villagers love to talk about bugs/being a popstar and others don't?
As far as I can tell, no. I expect reverse-engineering the game code to reveal more about the RNG behind the "cWildCard" dialogue selection, but it seems to me that differences in this general scope are RNG confirmation bias. Don't let this ruin your perception of the villagers, though- the beauty of randomness in this context is how it generates character!

In Conclusion
This is not the game-changing feature players hoped it would be. However, it adds zest to the world and really makes you appreciate the amount of detail in the Animal Crossing franchise! There's a ton of variation in the way each villager interacts with the world, and the few unique bits of dialogue is a nice bonus.

The datamining of this game is live and ongoing. Developments can happen in the future. (ACNH YouTubers that lurk this forum: don't include this in your videos if for some reason it's ever relevant, at least until the investigation is 100% mature (you'd be doing all of us a massive favor ;_; )

Finally, all of the information I present here I present through the lens of my digging through my own files and investigations on the eventflow files, but Ninji was the one who originally brought this up offhandedly (and was kind enough to let me know that dialogue is referenced in the BFEVFLs.) Ninji does a lot of amazing work and deserves your respect! Check him out on Twitter and be nice to him if you like the inner workings of ACNH.

EDIT: New- additional observations from Stoney on Discord. Check it out: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b2rrEIeNZKnQrvoyD4JtkKSNJs2VAHobCBGKSnO2A_o/edit
Important notes include the fact that subtype-specific dialogue only appears with high friendship, and that the villagers within the subtypes will have one or two possible hobbies out of the group.

Last edited:
Making a second post just in case it ever becomes necessary- and also because I wanted to mention that- and this is totally unsupported by ingame data, just existing observations- I sent this post to some friends and they report that they see the subtype-specific dialogue quite often, which leads me to believe that the FreeA_AlwaysA and FreeA_AlwaysB dialogue is designed to function in parallel to the FreeA_Always dialogue (standard interaction dialogue). Perhaps obvious by the naming, but I do not have the best memory and it's hard to know for sure so I'm glad other people are taking note!!

With that said, if there are specific dialogue options you dislike, the sub-type might matter to you, but the lines I notice people complaining about most often aren't included in the sub-types. The ball's in your court on that one.

Either way, the types add variety.

That's a really interesting piece of information. Thanks for sharing!

Which of the ZeldaMods tools did you use to make that flowchart? I tried using the evfl library on my own and didn't get very far.

That's a really interesting piece of information. Thanks for sharing!

Which of the ZeldaMods tools did you use to make that flowchart? I tried using the evfl library on my own and didn't get very far.
I used eventeditor. evfl is good, but the lack of documentation is frustrating.

eventeditor has the latest vc++ redist as a dependency, by the way. I struggled with that the first time.

this is some really awesome, thorough investigation, great work! i love the extra detail this adds to new horizons; creating the perception in the player that something differentiates villagers of the same personality, without making that differentiation super obvious or noticeable, is a super cool touch and very difficult to pull off. i also love how clearly you've written and formatted this documentation! the look into EventFlow is super interesting, i work with similar tools and it's always neat to see how writers/designers/developers choose to structure their flowcharts to create subtle effects like this.

Interesting! What a day for datamining and theories. I looked at the spreadsheets and there's so much info, I don't even know where to start lol

Bump for visibility. This is really good to know information about personality sub-types in New Horizons. While unfortunate these do not make that big of an impact, it is still good to know.

Hm this really makes me curious to understand what drives the popstar/bug dialogue. Once determined it's something I'm willing to grind for considering I have the amiibo for most of the villagers I want in my town (though id want to know how amiibo ties into this if at all and if those brought in through that method have fixed values rather than being random every time)

Thank you for all this, when I first brought it up on the forums I was hoping that in addition to anecdotal evidence, someone would be able to shed some light on the code and who is in what category. Not because it is groundbreaking to how we plan our islands, but because this sort of small detail that means a lot to me and the kind of thing that would keep me awake at night. The ‘interests’ within the code was a fascinating revelation but I’m so glad you’ve found this in addition, our villagers are now truly different to one another, albeit subtly.

Last edited:
From what I can understand from this, the subtypes don't effect activities or hobbies that the villagers partake in. It just effects a small portion of their dialogue. Otherwise, the personality types of A and B are still basically the same. Is that correct so far? Is there an example of the various dialogue that you can get from the types? Meaning, what is some Jock A dialogue that we'd get vs. Jock B dialogue. (or feel free to provide examples from any personality)

oh thanks for the info, we were convinced it affects the hobbies because they all have different ones... why does my punchy or apple never sings??? T_T

From what I can understand from this, the subtypes don't effect activities or hobbies that the villagers partake in. It just effects a small portion of their dialogue. Otherwise, the personality types of A and B are still basically the same. Is that correct so far? Is there an example of the various dialogue that you can get from the types? Meaning, what is some Jock A dialogue that we'd get vs. Jock B dialogue. (or feel free to provide examples from any personality)
The subtypes themselves only effect the dialogue. Stoney (read link above) points out that Cranky A villagers are exclusively Education or Music while the Cranky B villagers are exclusively Nature, for instance, so the subtypes will fall into one or two hobbies as well. They *are* separate, though, with cross-over between the personality types- and they effect totally different things (overworld actions vs dialogue)- so please don't confuse them.

99% of dialogue between the subtypes are completely the same. Please follow the instructions in the OP to view the specific dialogue.

oh thanks for the info, we were convinced it affects the hobbies because they all have different ones... why does my punchy or apple never sings??? T_T
Punchy is Lazy-A and Apple is Peppy-B, and both have the interest Play. Music types have the greatest chance of singing.

The subtypes themselves only effect the dialogue. Stoney (read link above) points out that Cranky A villagers are exclusively Education or Music while the Cranky B villagers are exclusively Nature, for instance, so the subtypes will fall into one or two hobbies as well. They *are* separate, though, with cross-over between the personality types- and they effect totally different things (overworld actions vs dialogue)- so please don't confuse them.

99% of dialogue between the subtypes are completely the same. Please follow the instructions in the OP to view the specific dialogue.

Punchy is Lazy-A and Apple is Peppy-B, and both have the interest Play. Music types have the greatest chance of singing.

thanks! is there are data of sub-types per villager somewhere?

My dreamy list has two duplicate personalities (smug and snooty) and by complete happenstance, I ended up with one A and one B for each of them. So that'll be nice.

Thank you to everyone who put in the hard work to figure out what Nintendo meant by that one-off line in the guidebook! 😄

My dreamy list has two duplicate personalities (smug and snooty) and by complete happenstance, I ended up with one A and one B for each of them. So that'll be nice.

Thank you to everyone who put in the hard work to figure out what Nintendo meant by that one-off line in the guidebook! 😄

That one-off line about personality subtypes I feel was in bad faith. Maybe the internet blew it out of proportion, but given what we know now, it hardly seems like it should be mentioned as it will make people think the personalities are different, when they really aren't. If anything the hobbies and style make the villagers stand out more and are what I feel would be more appropriate to highlight.

A line like this could have been better: "Even if they share a personality, each villager comes with their own set of styles, hobbies, and stories to tell."

Last edited:
That one-off line about personality subtypes I feel was in bad faith. Maybe the internet blew it out of proportion, but given what we know now, it hardly seems like it should be mentioned as it will make people think the personalities are different, when they really aren't. If anything the hobbies and interests make the villagers stand out more and are what I feel would be more appropriate to highlight.
I don't really see it as bad faith. One of the most common complaints I heard from people about New Leaf was that the villager dialogue is stale. I think Nintendo was excited about this solution to that particular issue and wanted to highlight that they had in fact tried to come up with a way to fix it. I just think they didn't realize how far people would go in investigating what they meant by it.

I do agree, though, that they should highlight the hobbies and interests both in game and in their publications a little more.

I don't really see it as bad faith. One of the most common complaints I heard from people about New Leaf was that the villager dialogue is stale. I think Nintendo was excited about this solution to that particular issue and wanted to highlight that they had in fact tried to come up with a way to fix it. I just think they didn't realize how far people would go in investigating what they meant by it.

I do agree, though, that they should highlight the hobbies and interests both in game and in their publications a little more.

It still could have been worded better, something like: "Even if they share a personality, each villager comes with their own set of styles, hobbies, and stories to tell."

Saying "two sub-types" implies they act differently when this mostly affects high friendship dialog, although I suppose there is a correlation between hobbies and the personality subt-ype for villagers.

Back