• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Bell Tree Direct - 7.28.21 - Theme Update! And Camp Bell Tree Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

Staff
Administrator
Site Owner
Bells
Island
Númenor
Golden Watering Can
Red Pansy
White Pansy
White Pansy
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Rose
Purple Violet
White Lily
tbtDirect20210728.png

Good evening and welcome to a new surprise Bell Tree Direct! As you can already see, our long-awaited theme update is now live! We're dedicating this entire TBT Direct to the new theme, but first we have an announcement about our upcoming summer event, Camp Bell Tree.

Camp Bell Tree Event Delayed - But Signups Now Open!

We previously announced that Camp Bell Tree will start this Sunday, but we have now decided to delay it by a week in order to spend more time getting it ready. Camp Bell Tree will now take place from August 8th - August 29th. We hope to see all of you then instead!

campBellTreePromo.png

In the meantime, we have now opened early signups for the event! Since Camp Bell Tree will be separated into teams (cabins), signing up ahead of time will help us organize them. You can sign up by going to Preferences and selecting "Opted In" in the Camp Bell Tree field.

campBellTreeOptIn.png

We will be advertising the upcoming event more over the next week. For those of you who may have missed our previous Direct, Camp Bell Tree is a new event that will be similar to TBT Fair, with small events and tasks that allow you to get rewards. However, you'll also work with your cabin against other cabins. We're excited to get started on Sunday, August 8th!

Introducing Our Theme Update

Finally, the wait is over and our time-based theme update is here! After upgrading our forum last year during the New Horizons surge, we unfortunately had to postpone the season and time changes some of you may remember from our previous version. Hopefully the wait has been worth it, because our new theme is now far more elaborate than ever before!

Time Changing Features

Starting with the daily 24-hour clock, we have ten main time changes throughout the day. However, there are also smaller differences that take placing during some of these phases. In addition, the entire forum will gradually get darker as it turns to night and brighter as it turns to day. I'm only going to include six very small screenshots though, so don't worry, there won't be any spoilers in this post! You'll have to see them for yourself when they happen, or feel free to share your screenshots in this thread if you want to explore the new theme together.

times.png

Looking at each of these phases may not be quite as simple as it was on the old forum. You can try changing your timezone setting, but it may not line up perfectly anymore! In real life (and in Animal Crossing of course), the sun rises and sets during different times throughout the year. TBT will now follow this same schedule, changing every day throughout the year, with phases lasting about as long as they do in the real world. At least for now, these times are based on an estimate of New York City's sunrise and sunset, which seemed like a pretty good middle latitude to use. However, perhaps in the future we'll add an option that will allow you to match these phases to your own location.

Speaking of changes throughout the year, we have twenty-four different seasons. Some of them may share the same grass or tree colors, but they are all modeled after the grass and trees from New Horizons, both with how they look and with when they change. It will obviously take much longer to see all seasons live on the forum, so hopefully you can wait almost a year to see them all in action!

seasons.png

If you're viewing the forum at night you might see the moon, but probably not if you're reading this on August 8th. That's because we have eight moon phases that follow the real moon. Sorry to those of you who live in the southern hemisphere though, the moon will look backwards sometimes. The seasons are backwards for you too! We want to address this in the future, but I'll explain more at the end.

More Features

In addition to the time and season changing aspects of the forum's theme, we also have two small new options some of you may be interested in using to adjust its layout. Under Preferences, you'll now find these new settings under layout options. "Reduce page width" makes the forum (in desktop mode) more narrow. This might be useful to those of you who like to see the forum's content in a smaller width, similar to the previous version of TBT. It may also make sense to pair this option with the other setting called "remove sidebar," which will remove the sidebar from the forum's home page.

Behind the Scenes

Almost all of the components of the forum design were created by @Laudine including the grass, wood patterns, suns, moons, clouds, etc. Big thank you to her for creating such beautiful art that is now helping bring TBT to life! We worked together, with her making the art and me layering it into the forum and coding in the time/season/moon changing logic.

We also had help with research done by @Chris who took dozens of screenshots of grass and trees in New Horizons. I then organized them together and categorized them into blocks that would make sense for the forum, which Laudine later used to base the colors of our grass backgrounds on. I also used the dates from the game for the season rotation on the forum.

Laudine and I then went back and forth (very gradually) since last year with various versions of the theme components and ideas about how they could work. She definitely went above and beyond with the art, which pushed me to add even more to the theme. For example, I casually mentioned that a moon with different phases might be something cool to do in the future. She then made seven versions of the moon for the night sky, so I knew I had to write a formula to make that work for this update!

Thanks also to the other staff for their input during this process! We are already talking about even more updates, so we might have some more of our artists help with that, but for now I think we'll need to take a break for a bit...

Coming Soon?

I mentioned even more updates, but I don't want to announce anything big because we're not even sure it's all feasible yet! However, I think it's safe to say that something for southern hemisphere seasons (and the moon) will be added eventually! In the meantime, you southern hemisphere people will have to pretend you're up here in the north with us.

I hope you all like our new theme! Feel free to give input or even your own ideas!

Last edited:
Woohoo!! Hehe, I saw the new theme and was like OOOOOHHHH!! I'm very happy the season themes are back! They look great!

It was definitely strange to refresh the page and suddenly have it get a lot darker, lol. I'll be watching it closely over the next little bit to see how the theme changes throughout the day.

1627529375126.png

What a gorgeous waning gibbous! Haha, I've always wanted to drop those words in convo, but seriously, I LOOOOOOOOVE this responsive theme. Thanks @Laudine, @Jeremy, @Chris and crew!

Idea: let's have a random shooting star or eclipse on the header drop some tbt on the person who clicks it, lol. JKJK

Attachments

• 1627529368159.png
    1627529368159.png
    622.1 KB · Views: 34
Ooh cool, the new banner looks nice!
But it that bad as the forums were known to joke about a night theme

Love the new theme(s). Thank you so much too all the staff who worked on it! It would be really cool if every so often (every 10-20 minutes or more) there was a shooting star during the night banner! 🌠

I was so surprised when I refreshed and everything flipped to night! It's absolutely beautiful and I look forward to watching all of the gradual changes through the day and seasons. Great work to everybody involved!

THE THEME OMG it's amazing!!! I love it already! I am easily distracted by pretty things so I guess that means I will be less impatient waiting for the event to start ~

I love the new theme!! It was a nice surprise to log in to, thanks everyone who worked on it for your hard work!

Glad to see the return of the night theme. It's great to have it back! Thank you Jeremy, Laudine, Chris, and all of the rest of the Staff for all the effort put into making it a reality. I also LOVE that the moon phases will change, that's awesome.

Looking forward to the start of Camp Bell Tree.

Ooh cool, the new banner looks nice!
But it that bad as the forums were known to joke about a night theme
You might be thinking of The Woods theme used in The Woods for Halloween and Friday the 13ths throughout the year. People have tended to ask for that as a "dark theme" throughout the years.

What we're getting now is something we had before the forums upgraded from TBT 2.0 to TBT 3.0, changing from day to night and changing with the seasons, but now with a lot of neat improvements.

I feel so cozy and at home with the new themes!

but also

LAUDINE!!!!
YOU ABSOLUTE QUEEN
I knew you were something special when you surprise-gifted me that orange present back in 2015, but you keep outdoing yourself!
Thank you for bringing your incredible existence to all our lives

yay! the old themes are back, i just came back from a long break and was super stoked to see my page refresh into the night theme. the wait was well worth it, they’re designed so beautifully! awesome job you guys, we appreciate it! 😊

Does this mean we can maybe see collectibles that change with time of year?
looking at you, moon-phases collectible
👀

omg, or a horizon collectible that is a sun rising and setting in sync with the theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back