• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you more of a casual gamer or a competitive gamer?

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
Are you more of a casual gamer or a competitive gamer?

Truthfully, I’m more of a competitive gamer when it comes to sports games. Those are the types of games I typically play. Although, it’s always nice to enjoy Animal Crossing once in a while! I do enjoy relaxing games sometimes.

i'm bad at video games and a self-admitted sore loser so i'm infinitely more of a casual gamer than a competitive one. best to stick with what i know won't tick me off on the chance i don't do so well!

When I play multiplayer games, I tend to be competitive, unless it’s with my brother. I love to play more exploration games, adventure games that have a good story to follow. So I’m a mix of both, but if I had to choose, I’d go more with casual gaming.

i’m honestly really competitive and also a bit of a sore loser tbh LOL so i try to stay away from multiplayer games 🥴. because of that, i’m definitely more of a casual gamer and usually prefer laidback games rather than competitive and chaotic ones aha.

Last edited:
Casual, but I can be competitive and go over board if someone is spamming or using an overpowered character in a fighting game.

I'm a casual who likes to play in a competitive fashion sometimes. I'd say I'm probably fairly average in skill level, tend to run into skill ceilings and then never break through those ceilings. Depending on what game it is, I can do well against friends and other casuals and then get demolished by other people who have more skill and knowledge of the games.

Definitely more of a casual player because I mostly prefer single player story focused kind of games, or just, one person action ones. I do get pretty competitive when I play multiplayer games though, mostly when they're fighting ones, I haven't really played much else multiplayer in a really long time.

I perform very poorly under pressure. Even playing casually with other people makes me a bit nervous and messes up my concentration (with the exception of visiting/hosting in Animal Crossing). For that reason, I prefer gaming solo without people in-person or online.

A bit of both.

I like to play with casual players but take it a little too competitively.

Casual except for pokemon, I mainly play on showdown so there's no sub fees but I normally have a competitive team made for my game anyway, and will sink hours into the game to get a good team, as with my 31 attack iv moxie dragon dance dragon rush salamence

Reactions: Neb
The only game I've ever been competitive in is Mario Kart, I can't say I'm good but I'm not too bad of a player either 😛 And even then sometimes I get too nervous that I can't properly show my skills 😅 Otherwise I really like playing solo! I'm someone who prefers to play with character design in mind rather than the stats or whatever. I enjoy having comfort characters in every game I play. 🥰

Definitely casual. I don't like competitive gameplay in anything. I've tried it before and it wasn't fun.

100% casual lol, I play games to relax and think of other stuff and I'm definitely not a competitive person. Maybe a collector if anything but I definitely don't aim for like, platinum trophies or getting all achievements.

I mean sure I don't mind multiplayer/online games but cba tryhards.

I did competitive Mario Kart league for a bit but the community was too toxic for me long term. besides that I stick to single player

I mostly play single player and local multiplayer games casually. Although I will try to get on the leaderboards on rhythm games. I also do competitive Pokémon on a draft league from time to time.

I am definitely a casual gamer! I do not have the skills to back up being competitive, lol. I also personally play games to relax and competitions are not relaxing for me. I like a lot of easy RPG games or casual life simulation games, with a few platformers mixed in but I generally stick with easier games. I'm really not the most skilled gamer and I typically get by in RPGs by over-levelling and beating bosses based on brute strength vs actual skill which doesn't work out well when playing competitively in games where my opponent is of a similar level!

I'm also a bit of a sore loser 😔 I try not to be but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't bum me out to constantly lose in competitive matches, lmao. So I feel more comfortable and get more enjoyment out of playing single player games or multiplayer ones that are just in good fun vs actually winning.

I had always considered casual v. core gaming, in which case I consider myself a core gamer, cause casual gamers usually don't play much except maybe with friends and they just play for fun, not necessarily to get into the game, whereas a core gamer is someone who really gets into what they're playing and immerses themselves in it.

in your case, i think a casual player is someone who might enjoy playing a game but doesn't see a competitive side to it, like they're playing for fun but they still play games often and very much enjoy them, whereas a competitive gamer obviously aims to be the best there is. I'm definitely a casual player here, I hate playing competitively (mostly bc it always seems to trigger my anxiety).

best example would be in Pokemon; competitive playing is such a huge deal in the Pokemon games. so many people were irritated when Game Freak removed the Battle Frontier from ORAS. but I really didn't care at all, because I'm not a fan of battling (unless it's a forced battle during the regular story mode, in which case I have no choice). I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to competitive play but I don't partake in it myself.

Hmm. I guess I can be a bit competitive in general. As I've gotten older though, I've started to see that not everything have to be a competition and I can enjoy things at different paces. Especially since I don't get the same satisfaction from beating hard games anymore. Sometimes it's nice to just relax with a game and not having to put in an effort.

My social anxiety makes online gaming pretty much impossible for me. The only game I've played online is Animal Crossing and even that can be a struggle sometimes.

Definitely casual, it's more of a way for me to unwind and relax after work. I do like playing competitive games once in awhile but not very often.

Back