• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Are You a Trend Follower?

Are you a trend follower?

• Yes

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 44 59.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 26 35.1%

• Total voters

DarkDesertFox

Your Typical Trickster
Bells
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Shooting Star
Tetris Grid
Kirby Easter Egg
Rainbow Feather
Chocolate Cake
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
The ridiculousness of the fidget spinner trend lately has prompted me to ask this question as it was the first result that appeared on Google after I tried to look up "Where to buy..." Honestly, I am not a trend follower. I have given in to following a couple trends like Pokemon GO, only to see them die out as quick as they started. I just find a lot the trends people start are uncreative and dull. Examples being past ones like the ice bucket challenge, the harlem shake, and dabbing (which is still relevant I guess). I just like my own things whether they're popular or not. Don't let me negative commentary influence or affect your answer. I want to hear truthful answers. Are you a trend follower? Why or why not?

I don't follow threads at all. I don't watch TV or go to social media sites much (other than here abd reddit) and I'm happy with that. Trying to keep up with the crowd is expensive.

God no. Im not into what's hot and what's not. Doesn't appeal to me. Same with fashion trends. I might be inspired off a trend, but I won't jump in the bandwagon. Mermaids and unicorns are a big trending thing in make up and beauty. That's not my thing. I find most trends uninteresting.

I don't follow threads at all. I don't watch TV or go to social media sites much (other than here abd reddit) and I'm happy with that. Trying to keep up with the crowd is expensive.

I'm pretty much out of contact with a lot of social media these days. Deleted my Facebook not that long ago. I only have a Tumblr I use sometimes.

I do my own thing. I always have. Probably why I wasn't popular at my school, though my friends were at the other high school in my town. :p I just like what I like, and don't want to be influenced by others. I figure doing what I want, instead of letting society deem what I "should" do, or "should" like is better. I mean, why should I let fads and things influence me if I think that particular fad is dumb? I'll be happier the other way. :) I want to be happy in my life.

i follow trends from time to time but i like to put a personal spin on it

Not at all. I just like what I like. If it happens to be trendy (which rarely ever, ever happens), then that's purely coincidental. I really dislike it when people arrange their whole lives around fads/trends rather than on what they truly love or like. It makes the world seem so disingenuous and fake. :( However, if someone likes some trend, it doesn't automatically mean that they are being fake - just to clarify.

well depends. Fashion wise, yes. Consumer wise, no. I'd say I follow American trends of fashion (beard, crew cut, athletic body type) but I didn't do the ice bucket even when challenged, didn't play pokemon go, etc.,

as for why-

I won't lie, I want to be attractive. I work out at least 5 hours a week and I admire celebrities like Hugh Jackman, Chris Pratt, Ryan Reynolds, you know. I want to feel like I'm doing something with my life, and when I get compliments on my muscle size, it makes me feel like my effort pays off. Plus those dudes have beards/facial hair and variations of crew cuts in their roles of superhero movies. I don't ever wear tank tops to show it off cause that's super douchey

as for not following consumer or social trends, I find people to get along with better if you are genuine and do, as others have mentioned, what you truly like. Plus I think the only trend I really follow is having social media. I just do what I want, regardless of its popularity. Sometimes it is popular, sometimes, not so much

Last edited:
I don't really, however almost everyone follows large-scale trends. If you consider me buying Ray-Ban glasses following a trend, then yes.

Only to the things I'm super interested with or if they're part of my hobbies. Most of the time, I'm like the opposite. I feel annoyed with people who follows trends just to look cool. Not all, of course, but you'd know when they are.

I like what I like. If it follows a trend then so be it. If not then so be it.

Nope I am so like, totally unpopular ;[

I like what I like and that is that. Meeting people who have the same interest as me is kinda exciting, even if it isn't exactly 'it'.

If I find it funny or intriguing enough I'll follow it, yes. But if it's not to my tastes I don't see the point of wasting my time with it lol

if its a trend i can get into and not something silly, yeah. if its not, i don't bother. would rather look sane than look like a crazy person.

i'm normally that person who gets into trends after it's popular :( so uncool

Only trends which I personally like. If it's something Im not interested in or find stupid, I'm not going to follow it. I don't care if people think I'm weird for not following a silly trend, I'd rather do my own thing.

Last edited:
No, no. I live under a rock for most things. And I don't care what's trendy, I pretty much do my own anyways.

i exist in my own little bubble with cacti and plants, so no, i do not follow trends.

I do the exact opposite of what is in style.

Funny story, before people even knew what uggs were, I got told my boots were ugly and they made fun of them. (that was in fifth grade I hate uggs now while everyone else loves them)

But I did do the ice bucket challenge. I had a homeless friend my parents let stay with us, and when I was at my friends house, I got on fb to see he did it ass naked in my back yard and posted it HAHAHAHA he nominated me, and that was the fourth person who had. So we set up my front camera when I got home and he did the honors of pouring it on me.

it brought awareness to an illness that effects lots of people in this world. If it wasn't for the ice bucket challenge I wouldn't have even known that ALS was Lou Gehrig disease.

They chose the ice bucket challenge, because the numbness from the ice is how the people with ALS feel every day.

If it's a trend I like or something I was already interested in before the trend, then I do follow trends because I want to get in on the action before it dies down but in general I don't follow trends. An example would be right now chokers are back and I've loved them since the 90s so I'm stocking up now. I'll continue to wear them even when the trend dies down because I like them. Sometimes I purposely avoid trends because I'm like ugh it's popular~ but when I try it out, I'm like ohhh I get the hype now. I didn't get into Amiibos until very recently. I thought Splatoon looked boring and didn't get why it was so popular but when I saw my brother playing, I thought it didn't look that bad so I tried it and now I play more than he does. Sometimes I like things that are out of style too. I hated those ugly Juicy Couture tracksuits with a passion when they were at their peak but I kinda want to buy one now because they remind me of the early 2000s.

Back