• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Any Professor Layton Fans?

Rusolando-Kun

♥Tsuyoku Naritai!!♥
Bells
I wonder if there's any Professor Layton fans here. :p
Are you excited for the Layton?s Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaires? Conspiracy DX on Switch? Or you've already played it on 3DS? I haven't played it yet but I feel more tempted to get the 3DS version just because of the dual-screens and a stylus - it defnitely makes most of the puzzles much more comfortable.

What is your favorite Layton game? :p

I’ve played all of the Professor Layton games up to & including the Azran Legacy! I’d kind of forgotten about the series in pursuit of other games, but I’d probably pick up the Switch version to get back into it! I absolutely love the combination of mystery, backstory and PUZZLES!

My favourite was the Miracle Mask. The story was so fleshed out and made me feel all the feels, and the puzzles were great. :)

Last edited:
i have played a bit of the first game. Someone suggested me to play it. It wasn't that bad tbh

I played all of them on their initial releases. They were a huge part of my childhood and I hope the professor and luke will return one day. I still haven't given up hope of Layton in smash lmao

I love the Layton games, but to be honest with you I couldn’t get into the Katrielle game. They made her too much of an airhead in my opinion. And the story wasn’t that great, I hope I’d they make more that the story pulls you in like previous titles in the Layton series have.

Last edited:
I think I've only played the first one! Never beat it though. I should add that I suck at a lot of the puzzles! I would like to give it another go though! I'd like to play the rest as welll!! BAAAAHHH!!!

YESSSSS. PL is my favorite game series ever. I live for the feels. I agree that Miracle Mask has probably the best story, but my favorite is Azran Legacy for how well it wraps up not only the whole Azran arc, but also Layton's story in general. As for Kat's game... I played it, the story wasn't bad, the puzzles were terrible. Her anime series has a great arc of looking for the professor. Here's hoping for an official dub. :)

397FF74B-F5D6-4E8B-9C00-36B98F965ABC.jpg

I've never played a Professor Layton game before, is it overall a mystery game with riddles or what
exactly do you have to do here? I always only heard and saw about it but never really cared for it
(but I do find the characters kinda charming).

I've never played a Professor Layton game before, is it overall a mystery game with riddles or what
exactly do you have to do here? I always only heard and saw about it but never really cared for it
(but I do find the characters kinda charming).

Well... that's a question. There is a mystery, and there are usual puzzles that are directly related to the mystery at key points. But usually it becomes more like solving random puzzles and watching the story unfold. You can explore the places and look for things tho. Even if you don't care for puzzles, I personally feel the stories are worth it.

Last edited:
I love the series! Pandora's Box was the first one I've played when it came out and I still remember playing it so vividly.

Honestly, it's been a while since I played most of them so I can't really differentiate between them too much. Storywise I think I liked the one with adult Luke best, for the best game experience I'd have to say Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright because it got me into Ace Attorney and I really liked the mix of the two games. But I think the first five games of the series were just so great overall

I'm really excited to see the series on the Switch, I haven't played any other title that came after the crossover. I hope the game does well enough to justify porting the other games over. I would definitely love to see a Professor Layton trilogy get the same hype as the Ace Attorney one did. :)

Professor Layton is one of my favorite game series. I wasn't too completely impressed with Katrielle, but I still played and I still mostly liked and appreciated it. I actually pre-ordered the Switch version because maybe with the additions and a second playthrough, I'll come to like her more.

My favorite Layton game, other than the Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover would have to be Miracle Mask. I haven't played the older games in a very long time and I don't know if I will ever have the chance.

Miracle Mask was the first Professor Layton game I played, and I beat every puzzle, including all the daily puzzles.

I was always interested in the franchise but my parents didn’t like buying video games, so I had to be really selective when spending money I saved to buy games, and Layton never made the cut until I started making my own money.

I still haven’t played the others, kinda hoping they put out a Professor Layton collection of the first 3 games on Switch, or even the 3DS.

Last edited:
I found a copy of one of the older ds lite copy and I played it for 10 minutes before deciding I had no brain cells for that game.
However, my sister plays them and love that series.

I'd probably consider PL to be the first series I actually got into the 'fandom' for, despite how small of one it had online at the time... very fond memories of asking my parents for each new game every christmas, and badgering them any time I came across a puzzle I couldn't solve! The mathematic gate puzzle in Lost Future that you were forced to solve to advance the story was the bane of my life lol. Switch remasters and Layton for Smash please 🙏

I've played the spinoff with Katrielle on 3DS and the switch remaster, plus seen the anime, but it's just not the same for me. The format didn't seem to flow very well and the way the cases panned out didn't really get me invested in the story. I've cried at the end of every main Layton game, but the twist of LMJ didn't have any effect because I just didn't... know enough about the characters to care? Plus it was barely foreshadowed at all - kind of felt like one of Disney's twist villains imo. Sherl got basically ignored as well, and I doubt at this rate we'll ever know where the heck he came from or why he can talk. At least the puzzles were decent and we got grown-up Luke in a fedora, though.

Professor Layton is one of my fav 3DS series, coming second only to Pokemon. Although I gotta say regrettably the last few Pokemon games have been disappointing. I love the stories, the character design, the music (GAH! THE MUSIC!) and the game mechanism. I remember once I saw a difficult question and I was like, "I TOOK YEAR 13 CALCULUS FOR THIS!" But apparently it could be solved without all the equations, so I prob should take the game less seriously and just enjoy it for the fun of it.

I used to play professor layton all the time when I was younger (used to be a bit of an egghead) and I believe completed the the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th installments of the series (have the first one but never really got into it). The series in general is probably one of my top 3 favourite games series from when I was a child, and it holds alot of nostalgia for me. While I haven't done any puzzles in quite a long while, and I am a lot worse at puzzles now than when I was younger for some reason (T_T half of my brain used niles vanish), i'd love to get stuck into the new game. Am even more excited to play it now since it's on the switch, not the DS which burnt my eyeballs sometimes, and I can have it on a bigger screen.

Back