• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

ACNH unpopular opinions?

I really don’t want quality of life updates tbh xD
My first reason being that being a bit tedious is part of what makes it so animal crossing... If you could go into an editor mode and change the landscape you could be done in like 5 minutes and that would go entirely against the vibe. The game’s relaxed pace is encouraging you to just edit little bits at a time and decorate little bits at a time. Have your island develop over time, that’s the point of the game imo.

Secondly I’ve already completed everything I wanted to so xD QOL won’t get me playing again and would take time and space up in the direct that could be fun content instead

Now that we can remodel villagers’ houses, I will mention that I don’t care for this feature. I feel like it’s very dictatorial to control what my villagers homes’ look like. If someone was controlling your living space in real life, I guarantee you wouldn’t like that. My villagers are free to do what they want with their living space. I’m not going to control their private spaces. I’m not against people who do want complete control over everything by any means, but it’s not for me. I never got it anyway. You only see their living space if you go inside their homes, and it’s not your home. I know this is a bit controversial but most of my takes are, so… here’s this one.

Last edited:
Pre-Direct and even now... I really don't understand the hype for Brewster/The Roost. It seems cute for photos, I guess, but I think it's going to get boring really fast.

Now that we can remodel villagers’ houses, I will mention that I don’t care for this feature. I feel like it’s very dictatorial to control what my villagers homes’ look like. If someone was controlling your living space in real life, I guarantee you wouldn’t like that.

That's a good point. When I was growing up my mom didn't care how I decorated my room because she saw it as my space. But I did have some friends who weren't allowed to do certain things in their own room. For example, I had a friend in high school who wanted to hang posters up of some male celebrities (gonna show my age here - this was Jonathan Taylor Thomas, N'Sync, etc lol) but weren't allowed to because her mom thought hanging posters of celebrities on the wall looked tacky. I always felt bad for her.

...but at the same time, I hate how my villagers take away their furniture and set up clothes. No. Just no. I will follow their personalities/interests when decorating for them though!

my unpopular opinion is that i don’t get why tortimer’s island / minigames not returning is such a big deal to so many fans — even if they gave you a little more to do with friends and were fun at first, they got old incredibly quickly and felt more tedious for grinding tokens than anything. idk i just think it’s more fun to spend an hour hitting your friends with axes i don’t get why people think ACNH multiplayer is so lacking. is it not enough to make your own fun

Now that we can remodel villagers’ houses, I will mention that I don’t care for this feature. I feel like it’s very dictatorial to control what my villagers homes’ look like. If someone was controlling your living space in real life, I guarantee you wouldn’t like that. My villagers are free to do what they want with their living space. I’m not going to control their private spaces. I’m not against people who do want complete control over everything by any means, but it’s not for me. I never got it anyway. You only see their living space if you go inside their homes, and it’s not your home. I know this is a bit controversial but most of my takes are, so… here’s this one.
i know you already acknowledged this as controversial, but i think this is massively overthinking it and calling it dictatorial is taking it a few steps too far. These are lines of code, not real people. And labelling it dictatorial has the same vibes as people who call villager trade “slave trading.” Overthinking it and comparing it to something real-life when it’s not applicable.

I get what you're saying. But i disagree -since you don't just unlock that feature and start changing someones house. The ingame 'story' is that at first you make them a vacation home and once they're happy enough and like what you did, you'll be able to redesign their house. So in my head you'll be some kind of fancy decorater who earned a clients trust to redo their home after decorating their vacation home.

No offense, but the process to remodel homes in the game requires asking the animal to give permission first. Therefore, it’s consent-based and not dictatorial.

NH is my first AC game so I'm experiencing everything for the firs time.

I don't get the hype for the gyroids or the froggy chair.
Why is it even a meme? It's just a frog chair :censored:

Brewster seems overhyped too.
If all he does is serve coffee then I don't see myself going to his cafe very often. <shrugs>

Pre-Direct and even now... I really don't understand the hype for Brewster/The Roost. It seems cute for photos, I guess, but I think it's going to get boring really fast.
I feel this too - I don't dislike it, but past wanting something that was always a part of the base games reintegrated into NH, it's not that exciting to me (so I'm really glad the Direct offered so much more than just a Brewster reveal!). I hope the Roost will be more than just what was shown in the Direct and/or drinking coffee has some added benefits that will be useful to gameplay.

No offense, but the process to remodel homes in the game requires asking the animal to give permission first. Therefore, it’s consent-based and not dictatorial.
With all the excitement I admit that detail slipped my mind, although I was aware of it after the Direct. I kind of like how the animals have to ask first, it gives you something to work towards if you want it bad enough.

It isn't a big deal to me, but I don't really like the expanded Harv's island. I like the idea for returning characters that couldn't be smoothly integrated into one of the existing shops (Harriet and Reese & Cyrus) but for other characters like Katrina, I'd rather she visit our actual island. I also wish Leif was implemented into a Nook's Cranny upgrade instead. I also wish the cafe was it's own building as it ruins the symmetry in the museum, but it had to be done this way since it's being added so late after release.

Last edited:
It isn't a big deal to me, but I don't really like the expanded Harv's island. I like the idea for returning characters that couldn't be smoothly integrated into one of the existing shops (Harriet and Reese & Cyrus) but for other characters like Katrina, I'd rather she visit our actual island.

I had this problem with City Folk's city. (Of course, City Folk was just a poor excuse for an AC game in general, so there was absolutely nothing to make up for it, whereas here there is.)

The special visitors have always been a source of replay for the game, it keeps you coming every day to see if that special visitor you want is there. But when they are there every single day, then you lose that. Eventually (much quicker than the standard AC method of visiting) you will have gotten everything you want and move on. Some people can see this as a QOL kinda thing, but me as a fan of the series since the very beginning, I just feel like the visiting way is the most natural for the series.

I would have been happier if this feature was bringing more NPCs that are not presently in the game (like it did with Reese & Cyrus) as opposed to changing current special visitors.

Nevertheless, the game has been out for over a year and a half now, and we've had plenty of time to have the old way, so maybe it will be refreshing this time, IDK.

Am I the only one thinking that the island is too big? Sometimes I really do feel overwhelmed when decorating and I wish the island would be a little bit smaller so that I don't feel uncomfortable with all these empty spaces!

this opinion also extends to New Leaf, but I feel that a fully expanded house with all the rooms is too many rooms. unless, perhaps, you want your house to be like a real house. but I never want that in Animal Crossing. I have no idea what to do with every room. kinda wish I could downsize my house.

I hate the hair colours in new horizons - I much preferred them in NL and both blonde hair colours are really bad in my opinion. I wish that Harriet would teach you more hair colours instead of even more hairstyles when we already have tons of those.

I hate the hair colours in new horizons - I much preferred them in NL and both blonde hair colours are really bad in my opinion. I wish that Harriet would teach you more hair colours instead of even more hairstyles when we already have tons of those.
I like two of the new hairstyles but would trade them for better hair colors. The blonde hairs are really bad. It would be nice to have a good blonde color, light brown and white.

Me feeling depressed.
Random villager: "Boy, isn't this another wonderful morning! Looks like it will be another GREAT DAY!"

Yea no.

We don't need the working for Brewster mini-game back anymore- we can have chats and share a coffee with villagers + NPC's like a real cafe. We could never do that before- a mini-game in and of itself (not to mention morning stretching and other mini-game things they gave us).

Back