• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

A Compiled List of Things Cut from NH AKA: Why New Horizons(Nintendo) Why!?

-Blue-

Bells
Rotating Fool's Egg
Blue Heart Balloon
Baby Chick Easter Egg
So I hopped on over to one of the mystery islands and dug up four fully grown palm trees because I wanted to redo something I had done on my New Leaf town and I really liked it. I recreated the set-up as close as I could. Everything was going well, planted the palm trees, chopped them down, planted a few flowers around the beach area...and than I realized I couldn't sit on the palm-tree stumps.

Oof, there went a Mystery island ticket up in smoke. You can sit on tree stumps, so why didn't they just code palm-tree stumps to be sat on to? I know I can't because I tried so darn hard to sit on any of them. Unless my islander got hit with too many coconuts. I also had a plan to use the stumps for another project, but that's dust to.

NewLeaf allowed us to sit on all of the stumps minus the bamboo. It just seems odd that would be something they'd cut from the previous game(s) So I thought I'd make this topic to let my frustration(s) out and to also use this thread so we could make a list of all the stuff NH cut from previous games.

1. Can't sit on palm-tree stumps or rocks (WA update)
2. Missing fruits: Bananas, persimmons, lemons, lychees, mangos, and durians
3. Missing flowers: Violets, Carnations, 4 leaf-clovers, dandelions (yellow/white)
4. A type of unbreakable tool(s) Gold should not break at 2x durability
5. Perfect fruit and dead trees (If a perfect fruit tree was shaken too much, it would wilt and die,great for spooky/ruined themes)
6. Specialty Ore/Nuggets: Amethsyt, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Silver Nugget (Gold is the only one not removed)
7. Grass patterns: Circles and Squares (Only Triangles) Vice-versa for snow patterns your grass shape would switch with one of the other patterns
8. Gyroids (Possibly coming back)
9. Tortimer Island - Island Tours/Mini-games
10. Tree Stump Symbol/Patterns - Silver Ax (That made the stump patterns)
11. Villagers shivering/sneezing or sweating/fanning themselves when exiting buildings or the ocean depending on the season
12. Megaphone - For calling villagers and NPCs to pinpoint where they were
13. Novelty Tools: Toy Hammer, Beans (Bird seed)
14. 2nd Floor Museum Room (4 for storage or decorating purposes)
15. Constellation Creation: Wild World
16. Balloons (Bunny and heart shape only missing now) Ice Cream cones, Coffee (drinkable), Glass Cider, Cake, Chocolates, Deserts (All could be eaten or displayed)
17. Luck/Good/Bad Luck - Katrina's original purpose is obsolete (Fortune Telling)
17-B. Bad Luck Shenanigans: Tripping (Semi-back now with the Tut Mask) Sitting on furniture sound effect changed to whoopee-cushion
18. Reoccurring NPC: Phineas, Dr. Strunk, Harriet, Katrina, Brewster, Pelly/Phyllis/Pete, Digby
19. Re-Tail: A place to sell stuff secondhand and for customizing different furniture. (We can't customize everything that has variations)
20. Different Shops: Club LoL, Kicks shoe store, Leif's Flower store, Label's Accessories, Harriet's Salon, Katrina's Fortune Telling, GracieGrace
21. Mannequins to display clothes. (NH still has a mannequin, but NL's was a full body like in clothing stores. Great for giving the illusion of a busy place especially on DA towns)
22. Public Work Projects (Some were brought over through various means in NH, but not all made it back)
23. Villager's asking to visit your home or theirs. A great way to buy something in their home that you like or clashes with their home)
24. Playing hide and seek with villager's (Replaced with treasure hunt that doesn't exactly feel like an interactive event with the animal villagers)
25. Many different furniture sets and themes have been cut. (Some have returned like the Mermaid series, so there is hope yet)
26. Bug, fish, and sea critters don't have sizes any more (as it was used to determine its rank in the fishing/bug tourney. And was a much better event than what NH offers in its place)
27. The campsite changed depending on the season. Winter was a igloo and all other seasons a tent. (It's not much, but it gave it that AC whimsical feel)
28. Not necessarily cut, but letters used to be sold at the Nook store. 180 bells for 4 sheets that you could write, edit, and send at your own leisure. And come back to, to make changes
29. Grass deterioration and dirt spots. (A blessing to many that it was cut, but some people designed their town with those in mind to give their theme a natural feel. (The never-ending grass pattern feels a bit too unnatural)
30. Puzzle League and Desert Island Escape mini-games. Could be played on the 3DS/Wii-U furniture pieces. A shame the Switch doesn't do anything
31. The Dream Suite doesn't allow for random dream searches for player name, island name, or region. You must know the exact DA number. Sometimes we just like to be lazy
32. HHA showcase. Anyone who visited your town locally or online would have their player's home show up in a special purgatory zone where you could interact with their house and or purchase any order-able pieces inside their home.
33. A storage box when island hopping. (When visiting the island you could unload anything you caught or picked into the box and retrieve it when you returned to your town. Could fill up 3 to 4 inventory slots before full. Great for beetle and shark hunting trips)

Last edited:
Let's see, they cut...

- Houses spawning wherever, especially in the spots where you don't want them too
- The part where a villager would ask you to travel and talk to villagers of another island
- Jellyfish in the ocean, all over the place, swimming sucks
- The only way to get certain rare bugs/fish being running around on a tiny island for hours at times where normal people sleep
- Grass deteriorating until your town is a pool of mud
- The inventory being so tiny that you pretty much have to attach your tools to letters
- Villagers moving out on their own if you put the game down for a little bit too long
- Spots in your town where nothing will grow (You wanted symmetry? too bad)

Wait, am I doing this wrong? 🤔

Perfect fruit is gone too, I wonder if there’s a specific reason why
I wouldn't know the real answer to that other than maybe an oversight. I liked seeing the perfect fruit. And shaking them too much made dead trees which were perfect for creepy towns or a dead area.

Let's see, they cut...

- Houses spawning wherever, especially in the spots where you don't want them too
- The part where a villager would ask you to travel and talk to villagers of another island
- The only way to get certain rare bugs/fish being running around on a tiny island for hours at times where normal people sleep
- The inventory being so tiny that you pretty much have to attach your tools to letters
- Villagers moving out on their own if you put the game down for a little bit too long

lol Look I know there's stuff they did right, but this isn't what this thread is about. I wanted to compile a list that I'll edit so in the end we will see everything that was cut.

lol Look I know there's stuff they did right, but this isn't what this thread is about. I wanted to compile a list that I'll edit so in the end we will see everything that was cut.

Ah, but they did cut these things too, no? And you want a list of that...?

My point is, it's a sequel, not an expansion pack or remaster. It's not called "AC: New New Leaf." Of course there are going to be differences, every game in the past had them. Otherwise there isn't really a point in making a whole new game, you could just have expanded or ported the old one instead. :D

With all respect, I guess I don't see how that list would help

My point is, it's a sequel, not an expansion pack or remaster. It's not called "AC: New New Leaf." Of course there are going to be differences, every game in the past had them. Otherwise there isn't really a point in making a whole new game, you could just have expanded or ported the old one instead. :D

True lol, but I consider those less cuts and more improvements. When I hear cut it always holds a negative connotation to it. I know it's not New Leaf 2.0, but there shouldn't so many things cut that the community is split 50/50 or more. I see rant topics quite a lot and I never saw them as much with any of the other games.

Those improvements are greatly appreciated. But on the topic of grass, it is kind of a shame there isn't more grass patterns you can choose from like the other games.

Gyroids were found in a data-mine I believe, so it's just a matter of when. I hope so anyway.

Let's see, they cut...

We all have the right to be ungrateful. lol

Completely agree. Plus, as you've said, all the things listed from your list are in fact missing from previous games 🙃.

The tree stump symbols and the special mushrooms was a nice little extra. I didn't use it much myself, but it was interesting.

The gyroids (which may be coming back! hopefully :) )

And not really the same, but Shampoodle and all the hair color options. I don't mind using the mirror, but it would be nice if Harriette returned and we could unlock more colors, styles wigs, etc by doing favors. Maybe even multicolored or more crazy styles.

One thing I don't miss is digging up or falling into pitfalls. 😅

When our characters wear long winter clothes in summer, they leave the house sweating and vice versa, they shiver in the winter wearingn summer clothes.

Character tripping indicating that they have bad luck is no longer a thing

Back