• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

43rd Canadian Federal Election (October 21st, 2019)

What party are you leaning towards so far?

• Liberal Party of Canada

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Conservative Party of Canada

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • New Democratic Party

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Green Party of Canada

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Bloc Quebecois

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • People's Party of Canada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Justin

Nefarious did this.
Staff
Administrator
Bells
Switch
4135-9919-0984
Pink Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
SPET 15 UPDATE: The CBC has launched their 2019 Vote Compass tool! I have some personal qualms with some of the questions and party positions used... but generally, it's a decent tool for a starting point if you don't know much about the parties and their current positions on matters. Check it out here and feel free to post your results for fun: https://votecompass.cbc.ca/canada/

---

Justin Trudeau visited Rideau Hall this morning to ask the Governor General to dissolve parliament and now the 43rd Canadian Federal Election has officially begun!

For any of our Canadian members who aren't aware, a federal election will be held this fall on October 21st to elect 388 new members of parliament and likely determine the next Prime Minister of the country. If you are a citizen and at least 18 years old by October 21st, you should definitely take the time to follow the events and vote! Click here to register to vote with Elections Canada if you don't think you already are.

Although there is still quite some time to go until all of the parties election platforms are fully outlined, I'm going to attempt an unbiased breakdown to the best of my ability. For full disclosure, I will almost certainly be voting NDP. You should obviously read other sources too and follow the news for more information.

Liberal Party of Canada

The Liberals are the current incumbent party in government, led by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Historically, the Liberal party firmly occupies the centre on the political spectrum, leaning slightly to the left or right depending on the leader. Currently, the party leans to the left under Trudeau, although by how much would depend on who you ask.

EEMl0PBXsAETsSn

As the current government, they haven't put forward many new campaign promises or proposals, so it's best looking at their record and implemented policies from the past four years to judge them.

Major policies/accomplishments under the Trudeau government:
  • Introduced the Canada Child Benefit
  • Increased taxes on highest income bracket, lowered on middle income bracket
  • Legalised weed
  • Implemented a national carbon tax of $20/tonne, rising to $50/tonne in 2023
  • Approval of the Trans-Mountain Pipeline Expansion
  • Re-negotiation of NAFTA with the Trump administration
New campaign proposals so far:
  • Ban single-use plastics by 2021
  • Implement national pharmacare plan, details to come
Conservative Party of Canada

The Conservatives are the country's main opposition party and the standard party of the right-wing of the political spectrum. They previously governed for about 10 years under former Prime Minster Stephen Harper with their new leader Andrew Scheer hoping to become PM now.

a9c5a2b36d4e92b.png

They haven't yet put forward a full proper platform yet, but some proposals have been released which I'll list below:
  • Repeal the federal carbon tax, replace with program requiring large emitters to invest in green technology and tax credits for green technology
  • Balance the federal budget within 5 years
  • Removal of GST from home heating bills
  • Repeal Bill C-69, a bill to regulate energy projects more strictly, and end the northern BC oil tanker ban
  • Will renegotiate the Safe Third Country Agreement with the US to reduce illegal border crossings
  • Ban Huawei from working on Canada's 5G networks
Not all of these are particularly notable but I've listed more minor ones in light of what's been released so far.

New Democratic Party of Canada

The NDP are traditionally Canada's main third party, but have never formed a federal government before. They sit towards the left-wing area on the political spectrum, typically the farthest left of the mainstream parties. Previously led by Tom Mulcair and Jack Layton in recent times, the party is currently led by Jagmeet Singh.

EEMuoalW4AAFVWI

They have released a mostly complete A New Deal for People election platform:

Major proposals from A New Deal for People:
  • Implement universal national pharmacare plan
  • Work towards universal dental-care, vision-care, and mental healthcare in the future
  • Build 500,000 affordable housing units over 10 years, implement Foreign Buyer’s tax on housing sales
  • Eliminate interest on federal student loans, and work towards making post-secondary education part of the public education system
  • Increase corporation tax rate by 3%, increase top tax rate, implement 1% wealth tax over $20 million
  • Keep federal carbon tax, declare climate emergency, set new targets to goal of 1.5 degrees temperature rise
  • Implement $15 federal minimum wage and ban unpaid internships outside education programs
  • Implement price caps on cell phone and internet bills to match global averages, and mandate offering basic plans
Green Party of Canada

The Greens have long been the fourth place underdog party in Canadian politics, but recently after a series of provincial wins and one federal by-election win, they have been inching upwards in a battle for third place with the NDP. It's difficult to place the Greens on the political spectrum, but they generally are somewhere between the Liberals and NDP, depending on what the policy is.

campaign-launch-hero.jpg

I wasn't finished writing this thread when the election was called today, so you'll have to click here to read the Green platform page yourself for now until I get the chance to post a highlights list.

People's Party of Canada

The People's Party of Canada is a new party led by former Conservative cabinet minister and leadership candidate Maxime Bernier. It was originally formed as a Libertarian-type alternative on the right with featured positions like ending supply management and corporate subsidies, but recently has drifted towards more of a Trump-like party heavily focusing on issues like severely reducing immigration.

You can find the People's Party of Canada election platform here.

Bloc Qu?b?cois

If you live in Quebec, there's also the Bloc Qu?b?cois. I don't really know enough about them as an English Canada peasant to say much, but they are generally left-leaning and in favour of Quebec's independence from Canada.

---

I've been working on this thread for a while now, but it wasn't quite finished today for the election call, so I've rushed the last few sections a bit. I'll try and fix some of it up later if I can!

So my fellow Canadians, will you be voting this election? What party or candidate are you currently learning towards at the moment?

Last edited:
I'm not Canadian, but I voted for the Liberal Party in the poll. I don't agree with exactly everything he has done, but there are several things Justin Trudeau has done that I agree with.

I can't participate either, but it's never a bad idea to follow what's going on in other places. Thanks for raising awareness of the elections for your fellow Canadians, and giving a more or less unbiased overview (those are so few and far between these days...)

I'm surprised that a thread was created for this, especially since it's coming from the father of TBT.

Yes, I'm eligible to vote in my country. Anyways, I'm quite torn between the choices and have not made up my mind yet. Each party has their own goals and it's challenging to see which one to vote that best suits you. As we all know by now, a party takes power if they get the majority of the votes. And to be honest, if I were to vote for other parties other than the Conservatives and the Liberals, it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway because the support difference is so high. It's always between those two parties and no one else. But despite this, ask tough questions to get the answer you need to make informed decisions. After all, the voters have the power to make a change.

Before throwing biases and attacks at each other, we should all take a closer look of each party's strength and weaknesses. Don't jump straight to conclusions just because the media has pointed out a bad thing from a particular person, especially if it came from their long past. Honestly, it just wastes time and energy doing so because our views can change with time. And most importantly, listen to debates and discussions with an open mind.

I am going to be voting Green since my riding is a tossup for Libs/Cons/Greens right now. The NDP in my province is abysmal (see: NDP defectors in the news last few weeks). I am essentially just voting to try and land a minority government. The GPC candidate for my riding seems pretty solid in her views towards climate change and social programs.

Debate live right now between Andrew Scheer, Jagmeet Singh, and Elizabeth May.

Personally, in the debate, I think the only one speaking intelligently and truthfully is Ms. May

I am leaning towards voting NDP, but not set in stone yet. I will definitely be doing my best to follow the debates through all my classes and work. A part of me just wants to do whatever it takes to keep Conservatives out which might mean having to vote Liberal as I don't know if there is any NDP support in my area...

I'm leaning towards NDP but I'm also not mentally able to follow the elections that closely at this time, so I'm kinda mentally going back and forth in my head on whether it's better to make an uninformed vote or to not vote at all.

As we all know by now, a party takes power if they get the majority of the votes. And to be honest, if I were to vote for other parties other than the Conservatives and the Liberals, it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway because the support difference is so high. It's always between those two parties and no one else.

As Paul Wells said at the start of the debate: in Canada we elect Parliaments, not Presidents. While it's true that we can say with almost certainty either Justin Trudeau or Andrew Scheer will become the next Prime Minister, we don't know how they might become so. They may need the support of another party like the NDP or the Greens to become PM in the case of a minority government and that means some compromises dictated by one or more parties other than the Conservatives or Liberals.

Remember that we elect individual MPs from ridings, which means that depending on where you live, another party may be a strong contender in your area. Just as there are many Conservative vs Liberal seats in the country, there are plenty of NDP-Liberal, Conservative-NDP, and even three or four-way fights with the Greens included too. Before you write off voting for another party solely based on having 'no chance', check the past results of the riding you will vote in.

Finally, it's worth noting that in our system a party actually does not necessarily take power if they get the majority of the votes.

I thought the Bloc Qu?b?cois was dead. People are fed up with it, it's not going anywhere, well I was not following much. Around me people just don't care anymore, we in Quebec are usually voting strategically, favoring the opposition (as long as it's not Conservative).

The CBC has launched their 2019 Vote Compass tool! I have some personal qualms with some of the questions and party positions used... but generally, it's a decent tool for a starting point if you don't know much about the parties and their current positions on matters. Check it out here and feel free to post your results for fun: https://votecompass.cbc.ca/canada/

I thought the Bloc Qu?b?cois was dead. People are fed up with it, it's not going anywhere, well I was not following much. Around me people just don't care anymore, we in Quebec are usually voting strategically, favoring the opposition (as long as it's not Conservative).

Seems like they have a decent chance of securing maybe 5-15 seats, mostly thanks to the collapse of the NDP in Quebec. Definitely 'dead' by comparison to a decade ago though. Really interesting hearing the perspective of someone there though.

Last edited:
The CBC has launched their 2019 Vote Compass tool! I have some personal qualms with some of the questions and party positions used... but generally, it's a decent tool for a starting point if you don't know much about the parties and their current positions on matters. Check it out here and feel free to post your results for fun: https://votecompass.cbc.ca/canada/

Seems like they have a decent chance of securing maybe 5-15 seats, mostly thanks to the collapse of the NDP in Quebec. Definitely 'dead' by comparison to a decade ago though. Really interesting hearing the perspective of someone there though.

Really I don't know, in the time of Jack Layton we were fed up and decided to vote NPD, more to get rid of other parties than by conviction and they didn't see it coming. We are not that loyal, in the West they will probably vote Liberal, in the Est it will depend on our mood that day ;) it will depend on predictions, opposition, even if we vote Bloc Quebecois in the end it won't necessary mean that we agree with their program.

I'm American, but...

Bloc Qu?b?cois (BQ) 61%
Conservative Party of Canada (CPC) 55%
Liberal Party of Canada (LPC) 53%
New Democratic Party of Canada (NDP) 46%
Green Party of Canada (GP) 43%

I've taken these kinds of political polls before—I feel like they tend to gauge your support a bit too much on how strongly you feel in regards to a certain position as opposed to whether or not you simply agree or disagree with it. I doubt I'd agree with any of these parties as much as it claims I do.

Last edited:
I'm American, but...

Bloc Qu?b?cois (BQ) 61%
Conservative Party of Canada (CPC) 55%
Liberal Party of Canada (LPC) 53%
New Democratic Party of Canada (NDP) 46%
Green Party of Canada (GP) 43%

I've taken these kinds of political polls before—I feel like they tend to gauge your support a bit too much on how strongly you feel in regards to a certain position as opposed to whether or not you simply agree or disagree with it. I doubt I'd agree with any of these parties as much as it claims I do.

They definitely aren't completely accurate, but sometimes it is surprising how similar each party's policies actually are. It is not a huge surprise to me that your LPC and CPC percentages are quite similar, since they are really just two sides of the same coin.

I got:
NDP - 78%
Green party -75%
Liberal - 72%
BQ - 65%
Conservative - 35%

I selected "don't know" on a few questions so that probably skewered the results a bit.

I wonder if Justin Trudeau's blackface scandal will affect votes? :confused:

I'm sure it will have some influence that can't be properly measured. It seems a lot of people who have been Liberal for a long time are voting against Trudeau, but not necessarily for this one scandal. He has done a lot of things in the past years people have not liked.

I wonder if Justin Trudeau's blackface scandal will affect votes? :confused:

Not significantly probably, but I think it will be help drive interest in the election and increase turnout, which might effect the results dramatically in a less direct way. I think a lot more people might be tuned in after the last week.

My Vote Compass results, by the way...

New Democratic Party of Canada: 82%
Green Party of Canada: 82%
Liberal Party of Canada: 67%
Conservative Party of Canada: 33%

Back