• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What is worse? Telling/believing a lie, or ignoring the truth?

What is worse?

• Lying/Believing Lies

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Telling/Believing the Truth without following it

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Both are bad

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Lies, misinformation, and conspiracy theories are all bad for the internet and the press, but what do you think is worse? Spreading lies and believing them, or believing the truth, but not doing what the truth is trying to achieve. For example:
  • On the topic of global warming, lying about it is saying that it’s not real, human interaction isn’t responsible, it’s exaggerated, or it isn’t a bad thing. But ignoring the truth means that you believe that global warming is real, yet you refuse to reduce your carbon footprint and not contribute to anything that can reduce climate change.
This question isn’t just limited to climate change. It also applies to the pandemic, oppression, Trump’s false election claims, the war in Ukraine, past historical subjects, and anything that’s not political.

Not quite sure how to answer this, but there's a LOT of cases where you can know the truth about something, but be powerless to do anything about it. Global warming in particular isn't just your average citizen's fault, it's also the fault of many corporations and people driving and using cars every day.

Did you know that during the pandemic in 2020, when companies weren't requiring people to come into the office, the ozone layer of the Earth was actually HEALING itself? And that's because we didn't have all these cars on the street spewing gases into the air. So part of the problem with that is lack of a better alternative for fossil fuel usage as well. Electricity isn't viable either, which is unfortunate.

To answer the overall question, they're both bad, BUT lying and believing in lies is worse in my opinion. Lying over and over again doesn't make it any more true. And people who lie too much often find it comes back to bite them eventually, in a variety of ways. Plus, on a base level people who are dishonest disgust me and I'd rather not be friends with them. It doesn't make for good communication. Anyway, I digress. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

both are bad, but lying is worse, so I voted for the first option.

For me, it depends on the case, but usually choosing the wrong decision/refusing to make the right decision while believing the truth is worse. Especially when the issue is about prejudice or tolerance.

On issues like global warming, the wars in Ukraine and Israel, and the COVID-19 pandemic, you’d be worse off if you lied about the issues or believed the lies. Because lying about them would steer more people away from solving the problem. But if you acknowledge the truth, but refuse to follow along, you at least have other reasons to not follow along. Like the aforementioned global warming example. Only a fool would believe it’s a hoax, but it is expensive to fight against climate change, and attempts to fight against it would put many people out of a job. Environmental regulations also restrict peoples’ freedoms, and some eco-friendly solutions aren’t as viable. When you have something to back up your decision to ignore the truth, then lying is worse.

But when it comes to everything else, ignoring the truth is worse than lying or believing the lies. Because if you don’t have a reason to back your decision to ignore the truth, then why would you ignore the truth? For instance, the Civil War. A common misconception is that the war was about states’ rights. As laughable this myth is in today’s education, it at least gave pro-Confederates a reason to support the Confederacy. Not that this makes them any better since they are captivated by a lie that harms others. But if you acknowledge that slavery is the sole cause of the war, yet you still choose to support the Confederacy over the Union, then this would make you come off as someone that supports slavery, even if you’re against it. There’s not very many things that’s worse than slavery. That, and the southern states betrayed the United States by seceding. So in this case, ignoring the truth is worse than believing the lies. Because you made a bad decision, knowing that it’s wrong.

To summarize my point, lies hurt other people, but your reasons to make certain decisions matters.

I personally find the answer extremely complicated. Sometimes telling a lie is far better than telling the truth. I’ve been punished before for telling the truth which in turn made me fearful of being honest about certain things because it would mean that I get punished for it. I told the teachers the truth that some of my classmates were bothering me and I didn’t want to sit near them and it was written that I refused to interact with my classmates and blamed them for my own mistakes which was definitely not true. I got yelled at for telling one friend that another boy I was basically forced to play with was always so bossy and made me do things I didn’t want to do and got punished for saying that and no one asked me to explain what the problem was. I even got punished for telling the truth that I had forgotten about an assignment.

Maybe it's me, but I feel like what you are asking isn't clear or I'm just not getting what you are asking with my fuzzy brain, so I'm just gonna share my thoughts on lying, believing a lie, and ignoring the truth, and knowing the truth but not acting on that knowledge.

•Lying is knowing the truth but making up some other story, which is not good at all. Probably the worst, though the very last im going to cover competes with this imo.
•Believing a lie is someone who is deceived and honestly believes x is the truth. Not sure they could be at fault unless they realize the truth later and not change or react to that. Then it would be a denial thing or an omission thing.
•Ignoring the truth is like denying x while knowing it is true or happening/Ed or is a thing. But it could also be knowing x but also knowing you really can't do anything about it and decide to carry on. Depending on which isn't a good thing at all. But at least the latter, while not being able to do anything, you can still be mindful of it and not forget.
•Knowing the truth but not acting on whatever it is can also be labeled as ignoring the truth. It could very well participate in the concept of "the sin of omission". Like, though you didn't do x, but by standing idly by you caused harm when something could have been done to help. You watched someone get robbed but literally did nothing to help the victim. Not even make a phone call to have the police talk to the victim. This can get controversial fast. Actually I recently saw a news report about a man trying to grab and carry this woman away at a gas station and the woman was crying for help and running. She even ran to someone pumping gas into their truck and hid under their truck to get away from the man chasing her and the guy pumping gas didn't do anything at all. Even when the man dragged her out and carried her away while she was screaming. The police are now looking for the guy pumping gas. Though he may not have wanted to get physically involved, maybe the chasing man said something that sounded like the woman was being silly or something, He could have still made a phone call or at least go into the gas station and let them know and the call could have been made from the gas station to the police since it was on camera and happened on their property. But maybe he didn't want to deal with going to court as a witness. Who knows. But what about that woman and her well being?
But what if you think you know the truth but you didn't? That can get you in trouble fast. Sometimes knowing the truth and doing the right thing but it being condemned by others can too, especially if you are alone in that battle. People standing up against what was happening in WW2 era Germany when they realized what was actually happening is a good example.

Should also mention that knowing the truth, but not acting on it is like,

having some bologna, but not sharing it with the rest of the class and them eating it in addition to you. Sure, they won't reap the rewards of your actions, and neither will you, but AT LEAST you KNEW the truth.

Straight up lying is like having some bologna, but switching it with a bag of garbage and saying that THAT is bologna. The class never saw the original, so they believe that you're telling the truth. Then everyone eats the trash because they think it's bologna and they all get sick and/or possibly die. All because you lied.

This is obviously a very watered down example, but it's the main reason why I think lying is worse.

You make some good points everyone.

I have to say that it’s hard to write the question, but it simply boils down between believing the lie, knowing that it’s not true, and making the wrong decision without believing the lie that justifies it. But yes, starting the lie or spreading the lie when you know it’s not true is evil. The question is very complicated.

The reason why I see more shame in accepting the truth, but not doing what they say is because you knowingly did something wrong or you chose to be ignorant and apathetic. You had the knowledge, and you’re not going to make or buy into lies, but you rejected the goals behind the truth. But I voted “both” since you shouldn’t do either if you want to be a good person.

I voted both were bad, with one exception.

In the first: lying/believing lies... I think lying is obv bad, but believing lies wouldn't be bad if the person had no idea what they believed was a lie. It might have negative consequences, but I wouldn't consider the person 'bad' if they seriously thought they were acting in truth.

I think people can avoid accidentally landing in bad situations whether they know the truth or not. Not spreading gossip they hear (it could be lies), only taking action on things they have researched/ verified themselves, stuff like that...

And of course, the 'good' lies are ok - (what? A surprise party?! Haven't heard anything like that...) But the rest - lying, misleading others on purpose, ignoring things that are true....not good.

People who genuinely believe lies and misinformation aren't bad people. They might be naïve and possibly even vulnerable. But they're not intentionally bad I don't think. If it's a case of not liking to admit when they're wrong, then that is different. I just wish it was easier to have these conversations sometimes, without people becoming personal and nasty to each other.

It's hard though, when talking about truth vs lies. Because multiple things can be true at once, without one side being evil and the other being good. Also it gets more complicated, with people talking about their personal truth, as if that must be an accepted concept over the reality of a situation. Where we're often told to lie to another person in order to Be Kind. To me, that feels wrong and the opposite of kind.

In my lower working class British culture we're usually brutally honest to each other, but I know many of us currently feel oppressed and silenced by the middle and upper classes, in the name of kindness. Most commonly in the form of threats to complain to a person's employer, or to have their whole workplace shutdown in more extreme cases, thereby plunging multiple people and their dependants further into poverty. Maybe they don't realise what they're doing? They only care in that moment about having their own Personal Truth validated and the non-compliant to be punished for their different Personal Truth.

That's not to say it's fine to just walk up to someone and harass them with painful and unsolicited truths. But I do worry that some lines have been blurred and it's causing problems, especially in the west.

I believe that both are equally bad. However to quote Sophocles...

"Truly, to tell lies is not honourable; but when the truth entails tremendous ruin, to speak dishonourably is pardonable."

I feel like both are bad in different ways. Telling and believing lies can create ripple effects that ultimately stray further and further away from the truth. But ignoring a truth makes you a little selfish, as we often ignore truths because it's difficult to confront them. Lies are also a way of not confronting a truth. I think they're two sides of the same coin.

I feel like both are bad in different ways. Telling and believing lies can create ripple effects that ultimately stray further and further away from the truth. But ignoring a truth makes you a little selfish, as we often ignore truths because it's difficult to confront them. Lies are also a way of not confronting a truth. I think they're two sides of the same coin.
And sometimes you’ll find that telling a lie is necessary and far better than telling the truth.

And sometimes you’ll find that telling a lie is necessary and far better than telling the truth.
In some cases, yes. Especially in the example you gave above. Some people punish those for being honest - which just tells you the character of those doing the punishing. But it is definitely true that lies are sometimes necessary for survival.

This is a basically simple answer both really in either extreme can be really bad one side living in la la land isn't helpful yet at thet same time enabling the la la land kind of delusion a la chaos child isn't exactly healthy at all either so its simply put a huge no no for me.

Back