• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

New Art Style (Can you help me with prices if I was to open an art shop?)

Hey, I see people in thread telling you to focus on shading... and while shading is important, I would say don't get hung up on that for now. Shading is something you should worry about later. Also the key is to not have to depend on shading. Through proper line usage you can show depth and liveliness without shading. For now, just focus on becoming more comfortable drawing. Try not to worry too much about something being 'chibi' or something like that, just try to draw things that you think look good, no matter how they are styled. I think you're very obviously working hard and taking on advice, so I think you've a good base for improvement right there!

I know it's nice to show/do things for others, but try draw for yourself also. When you draw things that make you happy, I find it's a lot easier to work and improve ^^

Also when you're just starting out it can be a bit disheartening to do so much online... critique and stuff is good sure, but sometime it's good to draw just for fun too. Good luck! :D

Hey, I see people in thread telling you to focus on shading... and while shading is important, I would say don't get hung up on that for now. Shading is something you should worry about later. Also the key is to not have to depend on shading. Through proper line usage you can show depth and liveliness without shading. For now, just focus on becoming more comfortable drawing. Try not to worry too much about something being 'chibi' or something like that, just try to draw things that you think look good, no matter how they are styled. I think you're very obviously working hard and taking on advice, so I think you've a good base for improvement right there!

I know it's nice to show/do things for others, but try draw for yourself also. When you draw things that make you happy, I find it's a lot easier to work and improve ^^

Also when you're just starting out it can be a bit disheartening to do so much online... critique and stuff is good sure, but sometime it's good to draw just for fun too. Good luck! :D

Now THAT'S something I can read

Thank you so much !!! :) I also try to draw for myself but I can never come up with a good oc or idea for a drawing so i draw for others since the reference is already there ^_^

I can agree with this! As an artist there are so many things to improve on no matter what level you are, you just start to drown with all the little things to improve. The worst thing you can do to yourself is to focus way to much on improving you become burnt out or judge your art way to harshly and compare to other artist on a negative level. I feel artist have a perfectionist personality when they create something and I know so many artist who just stop all together because they feel their art isn't good enough. Just create what you want, have fun with it over time you will gradually see improvement in your art, and study to improve gradually and not try to do everything all at once.
Need to improve coloring? Use some free line art and color them
Need to get better at lineart, sketch sketch sketch, and dont bother with coloring right away.
portions? Draw alot of potato sacks
Art to stiff, draw more potato stacks to become more dynamic lul, there are so many things to help you online too

Needtoshademorebecauseyousuckatitlikeme shade more

Also, I am someone who doesnt shade much, if I do it is very minimal. Now my artwork in my opinion looks fine, and a lot of people seem to like my style of artwork too
tumblr_ox2gcaBBB61rqverqo1_400.gif
tumblr_owbrgz6Dxl1rqverqo1_r1_500.png

Last edited:
I can agree with this! As an artist there are so many things to improve on no matter what level you are, you just start to drown with all the little things to improve. The worst thing you can do to yourself is to focus way to much on improving you become burnt out or judge your art way to harshly and compare to other artist on a negative level. I feel artist have a perfectionist personality when they create something and I know so many artist who just stop all together because they feel their art isn't good enough. Just create what you want, have fun with it over time you will gradually see improvement in your art, and study to improve gradually and not try to do everything all at once.
Need to improve coloring? Use some free line art and color them
Need to get better at lineart, sketch sketch sketch, and dont bother with coloring right away.
portions? Draw alot of potato sacks
Art to stiff, draw more potato stacks to become more dynamic lul, there are so many things to help you online too

Needtoshademorebecauseyousuckatitlikeme shade more

Also, I am someone who doesnt shade much, if I do it is very minimal. Now my artwork in my opinion looks fine, and a lot of people seem to like my style of artwork too
tumblr_ox2gcaBBB61rqverqo1_400.gif
tumblr_owbrgz6Dxl1rqverqo1_r1_500.png

First, what do you mean by potato sacks? Could you make an example? And second, I love those OCs.

Last edited:
Back