• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

will you do anything TODAY for Mardi Gras / Carnivale??

King Dorado

you can do anything
Bells
Rebel Gnome
Fossil Easter Egg
Ladybug Easter Egg
Paradise Planning Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Fossil Easter Egg
Classic Easter Egg
Togepi Easter Egg
Waluigi Easter Egg
Yoshi Easter Egg
so in two days it will be today it's Mardi Gras, Carnivale, Fasching, whatever its called where you live. are you going to do anything for it?
:confused:

I will buy a king cake (like the one in my signature) but that's probably about it.

I went to the parade once in New Orleans and had a lot of fun, but once was enough for me!

Last edited:
I'm not really familiar with Mardi Gras seeing as I don't live down in the area. I do not celebrate Carnivale because I'm not religious and thus don't have to give up meat for any reasons. =P

I'm not really familiar with Mardi Gras seeing as I don't live down in the area. I do not celebrate Carnivale because I'm not religious and thus don't have to give up meat for any reasons. =P

well you don't have to be religious to join in and have fun for the biggest party of the year!

i would guess most of the the celebrants aren't religious at all, it's just the traditional excuse for the party (last chance before Lent / Cuaresma). in modern times, fasting is usually only for one meal on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, with abstinence from meat on the Fridays during Lent. so people observing the Lenten traditions could still drink etc during Lent, maybe its just the extra sinning they're looking to get in on Mardi Gras :eek:!!!

well you don't have to be religious to join in and have fun for the biggest party of the year!

i would guess most of the the celebrants aren't religious at all, it's just the traditional excuse for the party (last chance before Lent / Cuaresma). in modern times, fasting is usually only for one meal on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, with abstinence from meat on the Fridays during Lent. so people observing the Lenten traditions could still drink etc during Lent, maybe its just the extra sinning they're looking to get in on Mardi Gras :eek:!!!

To be honest, I have no idea what Mardi Gras really even is, and only know what Carnivale is in context of the ancient Christian tradition where they had a party to eat all of the meat before Lent, because otherwise it would go bad over that time.

wha----
youve never heard of the huge parades in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, or in New Orleans, and elsewhere,
with the lavish floats and costumed dancers
and wild partying crowds filling the streets all night???

Rio-De-Janeiro-Carnival-Floats-Brazil--620x414.jpg

My village had a parade all day long ugh it got stale after the first decade.

wha----
youve never heard of the huge parades in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, or in New Orleans, and elsewhere,
with the lavish floats and costumed dancers
and wild partying crowds filling the streets all night???

Rio-De-Janeiro-Carnival-Floats-Brazil--620x414.jpg

that looks so cool, but i'd probably have an anxious meltdown from all the people :l

I don't really know what Mardi Gras is, anyway.

I'd love to go to New Orleans someday... mostly so I could share my god given natty Triple D's with strangers.
But I am not doing anything but sleeping to be perfectly honest. Sleeping and hanging out at home, maybe I'll make some yummy food =D

Last edited:
We don't celebrate Mardi Gras anymore where I live, too bad I liked it a lot as a child.
It had nothing to do with the kind of celebrations we see in the south though.

So the way I learned about Lent promises was because in elementary school we had this super genius kid in class, like we had these Math packets, it was like 2nd-3rd grade, and so they were super simple and we were supposed to finish one a week or whatever, and then you'd earn a treat each packet and then move up a difficulty level on the packet, this kid finished the packets like lightning, like sometimes two a day, and he saved ALL his treats from his packets, which was A LOT, because he'd made a lent promise to give up junk food for that time, so I remember the day after lent the teacher gave him over all his incurred treats and he MACKED down on them and ended up getting sick because of it. XD

Oh an that kid got so far advanced in the levels of packets he was doing algebra packets by the end of the year, was really smart.

Last edited:
I love the idea of Carnival (it's all so colourful, masks, ecc), but here we don't usally celebrate it
So, I think the best thing to do is sleeping
Anyway, when I was a child I went to the Carnival of Venice and there was beautiful venetian masks
I remember it was really amazing

I love the idea of Carnival (it's all so colourful, masks, ecc), but here we don't usally celebrate it
So, I think the best thing to do is sleeping
Anyway, when I was a child I went to the Carnival of Venice and there was beautiful venetian masks
I remember it was really amazing

sounds cool, i don't know anything about the celebrations in Italy, but now that you mention it the traditional masks here do have an Italian harlequin look to them imo...

Back