• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you hate the USA?

Honestly, I don't hate it. When people say they don't like it, it's the first thought in my mind to say: If you don't like it, change it. What can you do to change things you don't like? My next response would be to leave. Sure, I don't like Trump. I, in fact, hate many of his ideals and morals. But that doesn't mean I'll pack up my things and leave. I have school here, I have friends here, I have family here. I also plan to go to university here. Once I'm done with university, I want to pack up and move. But for now, it's to live with it.

So my tl;dr is no, I don't hate America, and if you don't like it, move when you can.

I love how you said "if you don't like it, change it", so truee

I would try to stay out of the political debates now, but I pretty much agree with everything Jawile said about America and some of the politics. However, on the case of police brutality, I do have to say that Wilson is not guilty. He's not. And even if Michael Brown is, he isn't the villain of the whole ordeal. The real villains between Wilson and Brown is the media. Ever since they purposely omitted the truth just to label it a hate crime, disputes between African-Americans and police officers have gotten a lot worse. Now part of the population have no respect for officers anymore due to the media demonizing them, and part of the police officers have gotten more racist than before the 21st century. Funny part is that only 24% of the entire population is liberal, and only the minority of the liberals are extreme, but the extreme liberals dominate the news, social media, and education. And they want to force us into beliving what they say, even when it isn't true. That's pretty much why people seem to give lower ratings to the Republicans and anything they say.

So all of the sudden police are more racially biased then before? That is very incorrect to say because the only difference between now and 20-30 years ago is that police officers are just starting to get caught in the act. 20 years ago when an African-American was beaten by the police, pull over for no reason, stopped for no reason, illegally searched, abused, shot in the back while fleeing or would get shot with their hands up, there were no cameras to catch police in the act so everyone would just assume the police officer was in the right and not give a second thought to it, but now everyone has cameras(dash cams, cell phones, surveillance cameras) and instead of being able to ignore police brutality towards African-Americans and other minorities we are seeing more and more instances of video evidence that shows police brutality happening. This didn't just suddenly happen because of one case or because of the media incorrectly reporting a case. Police brutality and discrimination has been around for a very long time, but only within these past few years has it become common to see video evidence of police brutality happening.

So all of the sudden police are more racially biased then before? That is very incorrect to say because the only difference between now and 20-30 years ago is that police officers are just starting to get caught in the act. 20 years ago when an African-American was beaten by the police, pull over for no reason, stopped for no reason, illegally searched, abused, shot in the back while fleeing or would get shot with their hands up, there were no cameras to catch police in the act so everyone would just assume the police officer was in the right and not give a second thought to it, but now everyone has cameras(dash cams, cell phones, surveillance cameras) and instead of being able to ignore police brutality towards African-Americans and other minorities we are seeing more and more instances of video evidence that shows police brutality happening. This didn't just suddenly happen because of one case or because of the media incorrectly reporting a case. Police brutality and discrimination has been around for a very long time, but only within these past few years has it become common to see video evidence of police brutality happening.

I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me, but in some way, they have gotten worse. Probably because the media changes the opinions of people, and when one group does what is worth giving a negative reputation, they are viewed more unfavorably by the other groups.

I still choose to believe that the media (more specifically the liberal media) was the real villain in the Ferguson incident. If it wasn't for them in this behavior, then the riots would have never occurred. And they try to skewer other stories.

I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me, but in some way, they have gotten worse. Probably because the media changes the opinions of people, and when one group does what is worth giving a negative reputation, they are viewed more unfavorably by the other groups.

I still choose to believe that the media (more specifically the liberal media) was the real villain in the Ferguson incident. If it wasn't for them in this behavior, then the riots would have never occurred. And they try to skewer other stories.

I don't think it has gotten worse, the brutality and racism that the police exhibit is as same as ever, but now due to social media and news sources the issues are more exposed and it is no longer a problem that can be ignored. The protests and riots (riots are never okay) have increased in frequency and size because more people are aware of the issues plaguing minority communities. In the case of Ferguson the media only reported information on what the police had given them and independent information that they had gathered, if the police had been more transparent with the case maybe things would have been different. All media (liberal or not) usually tries to cater to certain crowds so some stories can be skewed, but for the most part I think they reported on the information that they had available at the time (its bad business for news outlets to purposely report false information, news outlets even have to give apologizes in some cases). Racism has always been an issue, I mean segregation only ended about 52 years ago and it's not like racism just magically went away when the desegregation laws were passed, it is still a real problem and the media just reports on it.

I prefer to live up in Canada than America. But, I don't hate the States, I have a neutral opinion about it.

I believe what he is saying is that since there have been a lot of incidents recently it has amped up anti police views in communities and anti minority views in some police forces. Not all cops are bad, not every person shot by a cop is innocent(look at the societal f***up that was the OSU stabber this week).

Regardless, i love america, but it is on a dying path. We let party politics divide us too much. Liberals hate conservatives and vice versa, and now we cant do much due to it. We have to be the change we want to see. We have to cross party lines. We have to make connections and start a conversation

Last edited:
If it weren't for America's protein-shake innovations, then John Cena would still just be the skinny lead singer of this thrash metal band and the world would be deprived of his overall greatness:

It is the greatest country ever. In 4 years, it won't be anymore.

It is not the best country ever, no country is the best.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't hate America, I might hate some of the choices made here by some of its citizens and politicians, but in the end, I wouldn't feel safer in any other country

I'd feel safer in lots of other countries...

Bhutan
Germany
New Zealand
Australia
Austria
The Netherlands
Belgium
France
Portugal
Spain
Italy
South Korea
Japan
Indonesia
Canada
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Denmark
Iceland
Greece
Slovenia
Estonia
Latvia
Chile
United Kingdom
Ireland
Romania
And more

- - - Post Merge - - -

Honestly, I don't hate it. When people say they don't like it, it's the first thought in my mind to say: If you don't like it, change it. What can you do to change things you don't like? My next response would be to leave. Sure, I don't like Trump. I, in fact, hate many of his ideals and morals. But that doesn't mean I'll pack up my things and leave. I have school here, I have friends here, I have family here. I also plan to go to university here. Once I'm done with university, I want to pack up and move. But for now, it's to live with it.

So my tl;dr is no, I don't hate America, and if you don't like it, move when you can.
I'd rather leave than change it, because I'd still like to live somewhere else. And it's not just because of Trump, I have lots of reasons.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I hate how Americans think they live in "America". You don't live in America, you live in the USA, lol. I also hate their way of thinking on some topics, but whatever.

The USA is a beautiful country and sometimes I do wish I was born there instead of Canada. It would have made my life much easier to be a native English speaker, instead of French... With all my luck, I have to live in the only place in America where the official language is French, lol...

I don't dislike my language, I LOVE it. Let's just say being born in the States would've given me an easier professional life. And no disgusting shipping costs on Amazon xD
What about being born in the English part of Canada?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Isn't that technically correct though? I mean, the correct name for our country is The United States of America (USA), yes. But we live in the united states of... America. We live in America. Just individual states within the country. So, can't we still say we live in America? Is this way of thinking incorrect?

- - - Post Merge - - -

In the end, I suppose it doesn't matter to me what anyone calls it, but I am genuinely curious.

Technically America is all of North and South America, so it's kind of incorrect, but kind of right, it's like a shortened name for the United States of America I guess.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't like America

That's great!

it's meh to me
i think it's a country that has the power to ruin the idea of world peace and most of the rednecks are eeeeeeeeeeee but a lot of my friends live there so
That's 1 reason I hate the USA, I want world peace and the government is ruining that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Try living an ANY Europeon, Aisan, South American, or African country. You'll then probably realize how lucky you are.

No I would have actually realized how unlucky I was, you are basically saying every other country is horrible, have you lived in all those countries? No. Have I? No. So you shouldn't be saying things about EVERY OTHER country in the world. Not all South American countries are bad, Chile is safe and good (though it didn't used to be) Brazil is meh some cities are safe and others are extremely dangerous. My aunt has been to Germany, Spain, Italy, and she says she likes it a lot more than where she lives (in Florida) a lot of my family that has been to Canada says they'd rather live there. (I've also been to Canada but I was too young to remember) I've never left North America but there are some places I've been to that I wouldn't want to live in (Bahamas...) Don't act like the USA is the best and every other country has nothing good about it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

What's wrong with European countries? Germany, France, Ireland, England, Spain and so on are all stabe?
Asian countries like Japan are developed and stable too.
Exactly.

Last edited:

preach girl preach this is so true
"If you don't like it, change it." Best quote 2k16 we need to make this an actual quote if it hasn't been made

- - - Post Merge - - -

Try living an ANY Europeon, Aisan, South American, or African country. You'll then probably realize how lucky you are.

I only agree with this on one term. I lived in a South American country (Ecuador), for like 1 year? ~ there, and just comparing USA to it makes me feel bad. 99.9% chance anywhere you look there is graffiti on walls, there is a lot of pollution and trash all around, a bunch of stray dogs roaming everywhere, and a lot of poverty. If you just look at the houses they have no paint and like a metal roof. We have it so good here ;-; makes you grateful for what you have

Last edited:
i always think that when i'm older i'd like to move to the states because the uk is bland and small and grey. but then i think that all my family are over here and i shouldn't complain because at least i'm not in a war-ridden country, sacrificing the little i have left, including potentially my own life, to cross borders into a safer country.

I love the US. Sure it has its problems but I like that it's has a system of checks and balances. Even if I don't agree with how everything goes I understand that my wants and opinions aren't the wants and opinions of everyone.

For those of you that want to leave, what are you doing to make that happen? Or are you just going to complain about it and make excuses?

I love the US. Sure it has its problems but I like that it's has a system of checks and balances. Even if I don't agree with how everything goes I understand that my wants and opinions aren't the wants and opinions of everyone.

For those of you that want to leave, what are you doing to make that happen? Or are you just going to complain about it and make excuses?
I can't do anything now to leave, but I will when I'm 18 and I actually can leave. It's not like my mom would ever move us to Canada or another place(unless something horrible happens in this country and we need to leave for our safety or something)

Last edited:
I can't do anything now to leave, but I will when I'm 18 and I actually can leave. It's not like my mom would ever move us to Canada or another place(unless something horrible happens in this country and we need to leave for our safety or something)

In the meantime, have you been looking something up like the JET program that will allow you to go to another country? Just because your parents are keeping you here doesn't mean you shouldn't start doing your homework now. Otherwise you'll end up like so many I saw in my hometown - a lot of talk about how they'll leave but since they didn't really work on a plan they ended up in the rut of "when I'm 18 I'm just going to leave" to "when I'm ~24 and out of college I'm so done with this place" to "once I get a job and earn enough money to move I'm so leaving". Guess who lives half the country away in the state that she actually dreamed of and guess who stayed in my old hometown?

If your heart is really set on going I just don't want to see you end up in that same rut. Start researching your plan to get get out and start talking to the people in those programs so once you are 18 the transition will already have been started and much easier than if you waited until you're 18. Even if something like the JET program isn't for you and you're sure you want to move to Canada near your family it wouldn't hurt to find out what colleges or jobs are around there and start trying to make those connections or get a scholarship or something early.

Despite all, I don't hate the USA. This is my home. I was born here. I am an American woman. It's better here than a lot of other places in the world, too. The fact that we can debate whether gay men and women should have certain rights, or say: **** the president, (mind my french), is something that we take for granted. In some places, if you say things like that, you will die. Places that actually exist, right now, in 2016. I feel like a lot of progress has been made in our country in the last eight years, and all of it is about to drift down the universal toilet and I am terrified.

Though it is good here, I think we could all use a nice dose of love and positivity. I mean no offense to supporters on this site, (haven't seen any, but you know, trying to be respectful), but Trump has me terrified. For those of you who don't know, some of our rights as females have already been taken away. I was proud when homosexuals were acknowledged with the right to marry. My grandmother would have been proud. She used to marry people anyway, despite it not being acknowledged by the government.

I'm scared for my friends. I'm scared for my family. But most of all, I'm scared for the collective conscious of human beings. All I can do is remain positive. The government can take my rights, but they cannot take my thoughts, my faith, or my love. So...no. I don't hate America. But I am terribly worried with the direction we are headed in.

Last edited:
I'd rather live in the US than in the country I currently live in (sorry I don't want to mention where I live). It's really boring here, most of the people are retards, the most are rude and offensive, national holidays suck, ugh...

I believe what he is saying is that since there have been a lot of incidents recently it has amped up anti police views in communities and anti minority views in some police forces. Not all cops are bad, not every person shot by a cop is innocent(look at the societal f***up that was the OSU stabber this week).

Yep, that was what I was trying to say.

Somehow, xanisha's posts actually remind me of the many cases how people believe history differently when the truth was hidden. For example, most Americans today believed we put Japanese Americans into internment camps all because of the Pearl Harbor attacks. But if you look back to like 40 to 50 years before the attack, you would know why we were so harsh to the Japanese during WWII. It was a feud for generations, not because of the attack on Pearl Harbor. That only lead us into the war.

That may sound off-topic, but I was trying to get that off my head.

Could you explain what's so bad about capitalism?

Are you familiar with the Pyramid of Capitalist System? It pretty much sums up what I don't like about capitalism. I'm not saying all levels of capitalism is bad (to some extent I think it is necessary), but the full out capitalism that we se in the US is, and it leads to a society where groups of people are born into poverty with little to no chance of climbing the social ladder which then leads to more crime. I'm not against people making millions of dollars, just give people an even playing field.

Socialism is the way to go.

Are you familiar with the Pyramid of Capitalist System? It pretty much sums up what I don't like about capitalism. I'm not saying all levels of capitalism is bad (to some extent I think it is necessary), but the full out capitalism that we se in the US is, and it leads to a society where groups of people are born into poverty with little to no chance of climbing the social ladder which then leads to more crime. I'm not against people making millions of dollars, just give people an even playing field.

Socialism is the way to go.
(Claps loudly)

- - - Post Merge - - -

sounds like he really hates the lgbtq community
and that crowd of republicans cheering him? so homophobic

Don't believe everything he says. He says he's not racist (he was lying).

- - - Post Merge - - -

In the meantime, have you been looking something up like the JET program that will allow you to go to another country? Just because your parents are keeping you here doesn't mean you shouldn't start doing your homework now. Otherwise you'll end up like so many I saw in my hometown - a lot of talk about how they'll leave but since they didn't really work on a plan they ended up in the rut of "when I'm 18 I'm just going to leave" to "when I'm ~24 and out of college I'm so done with this place" to "once I get a job and earn enough money to move I'm so leaving". Guess who lives half the country away in the state that she actually dreamed of and guess who stayed in my old hometown?

If your heart is really set on going I just don't want to see you end up in that same rut. Start researching your plan to get get out and start talking to the people in those programs so once you are 18 the transition will already have been started and much easier than if you waited until you're 18. Even if something like the JET program isn't for you and you're sure you want to move to Canada near your family it wouldn't hurt to find out what colleges or jobs are around there and start trying to make those connections or get a scholarship or something early.
I already know some colleges near my family in Canada. I've never heard of the JET program until now. (But I don't want to live in Canada at the moment. At the moment I want to live in South Korea, but I'm always changing my mind.)

Back