• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon What are the least well-known Pokemon?

Yeah many gen 5 pokemon are forgotten. How about relicanth too.

Yeah, the fifth generation appears to be easily forgettable. At 155 unique species, they seem to be heard of by not too many people. Even the starters, electric rodent, and legendaries aren't very memorable. Heck, the 6th generation and 4th generation have more memorable starters and legendaries. Not to mention, there is no Eeveelutions in this generation (along with the 3rd generation). I wonder how much the sixth generation would be forgotten when Sun and Moon are out.

I feel bad for the Pokemon that don't get too much attention. They deserve more recognition.

And does anybody remember Chinchou? That's a pokemon I don't hear about everyday.

Last edited:
I'd say a good majority of flying type Pok?mon are probably tended to be forgotten about, mainly those based off of birds.

I mean I'm a big Pokemon fan and I completely forgot Tyrogue existed as a Pokemon until I watched an episode with him. The first gen Pokemon are definitely the most well-known I would say.

Yeah, the fifth generation appears to be easily forgettable. At 155 unique species, they seem to be heard of by not too many people. Even the starters, electric rodent, and legendaries aren't very memorable. Heck, the 6th generation and 4th generation have more memorable starters and legendaries. Not to mention, there is no Eeveelutions in this generation (along with the 3rd generation). I wonder how much the sixth generation would be forgotten when Sun and Moon are out.

I feel bad for the Pokemon that don't get too much attention. They deserve more recognition.

And does anybody remember Chinchou? That's a pokemon I don't hear about everyday.

I think the fifth generation was a technical "reboot" for a new "gen one" for new people just coming in to the series.

Chances are Maractus is one of the most least well known Pokemon. I love Maractus though.

Yamask too. It seems most of the unusual non-evolving pokemon could go on this topic. As well as some rarely seen evolutions (i.e. slowking).

I've always thought that a lot of the Gen III 'mons were forgettable. It took me YEARS before I could remember that Makuhita was a real pok?mon. Also Baltoy, Torkoal, Spoink/whatever-Spoink-evolves-into, Gulpin/Swalot, Seviper, Zangoose, Illumise and Volbeat. I feel like I could name dozens more but that would mean I'd have to look them up. Because I don't remember them!

For me personally it'd be Dunsparce. I honestly didn't know about its existence until I got Pok?mon Y. When I first encountered it I just assumed that it was a new Pok?mon but later I found out that it actually was a very old one from gen 2! How embarassing...

Snubbull's evolution. I forgot its name but it's just awful and I guess I try to forget about it.

Snubbull's evolution. I forgot its name but it's just awful and I guess I try to forget about it.

Granbull, for the longest time I didn't even know that Snubbul even had an evolution!

But since I completed my Pok?Dex with all 721 Pok?mon I know them all! Yay!

Just seeing how almost all of the first gen pokemon are more recognized and some of the nearly 100% obscure pokemon were actually in the second generation is very interesting. The first gen was nostalgia as the second gen are really close. But as more Pokemon are being added, a couple of the second gen pokemon were being forgotten. The only ones that have more recognition are the starters and their families, the legendaries, Espeon, Umbreon, and some of the related pokemon to the first gen (like Pichu, Steelix, Kingdra etc). Other than that, the pokemon becomes unfamiliar by today's standards, unless if they are lucky enough.

And wasn't Seviper Jessie's pokemon in the anime during the Hoenn series? Usually the pokemon you see more frequently in the anime tends to be more recognized. But I might be wrong.

I'm similar to you, although I play a lot again now on X/Y and ruby/sapphire, im still finding some Pokemon I don't really recognise, whereas I could probably name all of the original Pokemon from when I was a kid.
Anyway, for me, I don't seem to hear a lot about caterpie, aerodactyl, Mr Mime or Porygon. Have also rarely come across them when playing

I'm similar to you, although I play a lot again now on X/Y and ruby/sapphire, im still finding some Pokemon I don't really recognise, whereas I could probably name all of the original Pokemon from when I was a kid.
Anyway, for me, I don't seem to hear a lot about caterpie, aerodactyl, Mr Mime or Porygon. Have also rarely come across them when playing

Yeah Aerodactyl was a mon that I also didn't know about until later on.

Firstly, you should get back into Pokemon with Sun and Moon! Looking to be the best Pokemon games made to date! As for obscure Pokemon, I would say Luvdisk, Stantler, Burmy, Quilfish and others I can't remember.

Most of it probably comes down to personal opinion so I'll just ramble on here for a few minutes. Feel free to skip over if you don't really care.

List I complied whilst going through the thread said:
Stunfisk, Maractus, Qwilfish, Finneon, Lumineon, Stantler, Chatot, Venonat, Venomoth, Smoochum, Spearow, Fearow, Lileep, Cradily, Luvdisc, Bergmite, Avalugg, Basculin, Durant, Heatmor, Sunkern, Sunflora, Gorebyss, Clamperl, Huntail, Girafarig, Burmy, Cherubi, Cherrim, Slugma, Magcarg, Elgyem, Beheeyem, Relicanth, Aerodactyl
To start this off, I don't think any Pokemon from Gen I are really "forgotten". Most of them are pretty well known, obviously there are some more popular than others, but that's how it is with every generation. Gen I was also when Pokemon was really big so most of them got their share in the spotlight because of the anime.
I'd call most of the Gen I Pokemon on this list "overshadowed" rather than forgotten. I guess Kangashkan was a forgotten Pokemon since it was pretty useless, but Gen VI introduced Mega's and made it OP. Other than that, the only Gen I that I think really was forgotten was Tangela (up until Gen IV). It never really did anything, was never that good, could only be found in a few routes, and never had that much spotlight in the anime.
As for the rest, I barely have an opinion on them. Sunkern is more or less infamous for the lowest BST of all Pokemon, and Stunfisk was in the anime during the BW season (granted it barely did anything), but I don't think a Pokemon that was a part of the main cast for a long period can be seen as "forgotten" - for example, I think Wobbuffet is pretty "forgotten" to an extent, but it's basically a staple in the anime at this point. I'd also say that Miltank is a pretty useless and forgotten Pokemon, but it's well known due to Whiteny's Miltank. I guess it just comes down to how you interpret the word "forgotten".

Another list I made said:
Politoed, Igglybuff, Cleffa, Yamask, Slowking
These ones I disagree on. Politoed and Yamask were part of the anime, and the rest are evo's from Gen I Pokemon, so I don't think they're forgotten (underused and overshadowed, maybe, but not forgotten at all)

I've always thought that a lot of the Gen III 'mons were forgettable. It took me YEARS before I could remember that Makuhita was a real pok?mon. Also Baltoy, Torkoal, Spoink/whatever-Spoink-evolves-into, Gulpin/Swalot, Seviper, Zangoose, Illumise and Volbeat. I feel like I could name dozens more but that would mean I'd have to look them up. Because I don't remember them!
I have to agree that most of my "forgotten" Pokemon come from Gen III. It as that generation I just more or less stopped caring about Pokemon - I stopped watching the anime, I barely played the RSE games that much (I played FRLG a lot tho), and I just felt the Hoenn region fell flat. It's also where I'd say my #1 personal pick for "forgotten" Pokemon comes from. I remember way back when, I was reading something, and I came across the word "Crawdaunt" and I had legit no idea what the Pokemon looked like, what type it was, or anything. It took me way too long to figure out what Pokemon it was, and that was the only time I've ever forgotten a Pokemon.

Granbull, for the longest time I didn't even know that Snubbul even had an evolution!

But since I completed my Pok?Dex with all 721 Pok?mon I know them all! Yay!
Love Snubbull, hate Granbull. Blech.
Don't you dare insult one of the greatest Pokemon evolution lines in existence.

damn, what a smackdown. i admire your fight :eek: but granbull is really annoying to fight, especially when no one can remember what fairy is weak against (maybe it's just me probably). it's tanky and hard to faint, which is the worst when your general pokemon game run-through is made up of beginner pokemon. sure the evo line is great and all but granbulls are annoying to take care of in general.

damn, what a smackdown. i admire your fight :eek: but granbull is really annoying to fight, especially when no one can remember what fairy is weak against (maybe it's just me probably). it's tanky and hard to faint, which is the worst when your general pokemon game run-through is made up of beginner pokemon. sure the evo line is great and all but granbulls are annoying to take care of in general.

It wasn't a smackdown omg please no one get offended I was just trying to defend a cute Pokemon!

Back