• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Least favorite Pokemon Evolution

the sinnoh starter evolutions are all so disappointing lmao

i also love spheal with all my heart and while sealeo is kinda okay, walrein is terrible.

Worst starter heartbreak for me was Gen 7. I still can't get over Primarina and Incineroar. When the evolutions were leaked before release I thought to myself that they must have been fake. I was dead wrong and was firmly on Team Rowlet...and still am.
SAME. Why was Litten red instead of orange? Why were the evolutions so……eerily human? I really really thought they were going to be fake. Rowlet isn’t nearly as bad but I still don’t think it’s a very strong starter.

I also hate Salazzle. WHEN will Pokémon designers knock it off with the sexist Pokemon designs? Salandit is one of my favorite Gen 7 Pokemon, but why would female ones grow up to have….seductive hips? Human female secondary sex characteristics? It’s exhausting.

Why were the evolutions so……eerily human? I really really thought they were going to be fake. Rowlet isn’t nearly as bad but I still don’t think it’s a very strong starter.
In terms of design I think Decidueye is fine. Its shadow hunter theme fits well with the Ghost type and all of that. I do have a problem of the trend making starters humanoid though. I give Skeledirge a massive pass for at least breaking that terrible trend GF were making. Of the Gen 7 mons though, the contrast of Primarina's hyper-feminine features (despite the high male gender ratio) and Incineroar's hyper-masculine features made them strange for me to use when I got them post-game. Considering your player is supposed to be a child too is very strange. The same happened with Pheromosa and Buzzwole. Its a reason why Gen 7 designs are a hit and miss with me.

I also hate Salazzle. WHEN will Pokémon designers knock it off with the sexist Pokemon designs?
I give Salazzle a pass too. Its based on harem tropes in Japanese media. Its Japan so I tend to look past different cultural norms. But...I do go back to it being a Gen7 theme and remind that the player is supposed to be a child. It is strange but it doesn't surprise me because its Japan. I really hate gendered-only mons though. If you make a new mon it should have both male and female representation. What do players do with male Salandits other than releasing them into the wild? Same with male Combees. The newest gen made Legends gendered but I find it more acceptable. Ogerpon is female, Terapagos is male, and so on. I get that legends can be gendered because its assumed there is only one of them per save file...but not entire species. It really is strange lore-wise. How can anyone really explain the Blissey line or Kangaskhan other than GF making them so?

I almost forgot about Litten. Litten is okay, I don’t care about Torracat, and Incineroar is terrible and should not have been added to Smash. Decideueye is obviously way better, there’s no excuse that it wasn’t added.

Gulpin -> Swalot ):

Lickitung had such a pleasing sense of anatomy too and it just LOSES it. I do like the majority of them but some gen 4 evos of older mons were just like that

Also Kommo-O… I was set on using Jangmo-o for my team but got Kommo-O is overdesigned, there’s nowhere to rest your eyes on that thing and how much of it is grey? The way some bodyparts are shaped? Ew

I'm going to get hate for this, but probably Togetic???

I literally can't think of anything else at the moment, but Togetic as a middle evo literally looks so jarring to me. Togepi and Togekiss are fine and I love them, but Togetic is NOT what I'd think of when it comes to the middle evo in that line, haha.

Pignite and Emboar were big disappointments to me, especially since I really like tepig and it's one of my favorite starters by itself. I'm generally not a big fan of other Pokemon that have proportions like Emboar either, like Rhyperior, Magmortar, Electevire, and Seismitoad.

I also don't like a lot of the designs of some of the mega evolutions like Pincir, Heracross, Aggron, Garchomp, Swampert, Abomasnow, Slowbro, Manectric, Glalie, and Lopunny. I feel like the megas were really hit or miss.

More favorites that I liked better before they evolved:
Braixen > Delphox
Phanpy > Donphan
Snorunt > Glalie
Sealeo > Walrein
Gulpin > Swalot
The thing that annoys me about Delphox is I feel like it’s so close to being a really good design. Like if it had a hat or it’s stick became a broom or something, but they just stopped before it got there

Idk if it's the most disliked, but one that comes to mind off the bat rn is Blastoise. I prefer Wartortle way more. I wish that it and the Dragonair/Dragonite lines were branch evolutions instead. (Yes I love Dragonite too but Dragonair is so pretty too and has their positives)

I'll start off by saying that there aren't any Pokémon that I just flat out hate; there are some I absolutely love, some I like, some I think are just okay and some that just aren't really my thing but none of them leave me feeling wholly negative about them.

With that said, the two Pokémon that come to mind the quickest as it pertains to this topic are Incineroar and Slaking.

While I like Incineroar in its own way since it's kind of neat that it's based on a professional wrestling heel, I kind of appreciate the simplicity of its preevolutions Litten and Torracat. I even have a team where I just kept a Torracat from evolving into Incineroar.

As for Slaking, while I understand why they hinder it with the Truant ability due to its stats and because its evolutionary line are based on sloths, in practice it just leads me to not really evolving my Slakoths past the Vigoroth stage half the time.

(am i the only one who actually likes Incineroar and Boltund?) my least favorite evolution has to be Magneton. Magnezone is such a cool final evo, and base Magnemite has so much potential for a middle stage. But no, just add 2 magnemites and call it a day. That's very lazy, Game Freak!

Hmm there’s a decent amount but the ones that first come to mind for me are

- Frillish: so cute, what a little guy, one of my top ghost Pokémon. Jellicent? Why did they pump him full of so much air? Looks like he’s holding his breathe.

-Pumpkaboo: I do like gourgeist, but Pumpkaboo is so darn cute 🥰 I literally have a level 80-something one on one of my teams because, just living, thriving, and I want to play ball with it and give it hugs

- Smoliv: anxious little guy, the other evolutions just don’t do it for me. Was gonna have it on my team before seeing the evolutions.

- Quilava: I do like typhlosion, but quilava is just so much better looking, a lovely mix between cool and cute.

- Braxien: Delphox

- Flittle: Not my favourite Pokémon but I thought it was cute enough, but crayola ostrich with a bob cut does not do it for me.

I absolutely adore Litten and Torracat... I was so excited when Sun and moon came out, and I treasured my Torracat once he evolved. I then continued to play with my Torracat, and never allowed him to evolve. Why? I mean... As a cat lover... and seeing Litten and Torracat... then looking at Incineroar... it's just like.. what is that? That's not a cat lol He reminds me of Tony the Tiger.. he's just not my cup of tea.

It would have been better if the final evolution was something on four legs, similar to maybe Entei... but no.. we have.. this humanoid looking cereal box character.

Incineroar is my least favorite evolution; I don’t like any of the evolutions that make the Pokemon bipedal, but I think Incineroar hurts my eyes the most. Litten’s first evolved form is fine, but I think buff wrestling cat is a bit too ridiculous. (No disrespect intended for anyone that likes it)

Last edited:
I don’t like what these evolve into and wish they could stay in this form forever.

—Clamperl
—Cubone
—Slowpoke
—Pikachu
—Psyduck
—Misdreavus
—Jigglypuff
—Shuppet

(Thank the PokeGods Snorlax doesn’t evolve! He was always my favorite.)

I’ll write more if I can think of them.

I low-key wish Vulpix didn't evolve to be honest. I do like Ninetales but I feel like the evolution isn't as great as it could be.. maybe it's the lack of color?

Also, Donphan is so depressing, why couldn't we keep that cute little happy blue elephant

Well...this is difficult because most mons I hate I tend to hate their entire evolutionary lines such as Happiny, Vullaby and Gothita. If I did have to pick one though it would have to be Bunnelby into Diggersby. The initial shock of Diggersby being that ugly and literally unusable (didn't know of its HA at the time) made me instantly repulsed by it. It was only when I found out its HA was Huge Power that I began to try to get more used to it. Long story short: I didn't. I still hate its design despite going through 3 more gens of mons.

I agree with you. I'm not too fond of Bunnelby to begin with, but Diggersby is just horrifying. I hate that thing so much.

Crabrawler into Crabominable. I was so excited when a little boxing crab got released and then it evolved into the trash that is Crabominable.

As above, not a fan of Crabrawler to begin with. I hate the permanent black-eye thing it has going on, and Crabominable is just such a failure of a crab to me.

I have a bunch of them.

I think Porygon is up there.

OG Porygon is my perfect boy. Porygon 2 is pretty charming for what it is...they literally just rounded out the edges and turned him into a drinky bird. (I can get behind that). - Porygon Z is an abomination to all things good and proper.

First of all how very dare you.

I love Cyndaquil and like Quilava, but I think Typhlosion kind of sucks. But it’s not really an evolution that I hate.

Two that I do hate, though, are all of Chespin’s evolutions. Chespin’s pretty cute on his own. I didn’t pick him when I played through Kalos, but still. But Quilladin is a complete abomination, and Chesnaught is only a little better. That’s why I decided not to pick him as a starter. Jigglypuff isn’t one of my favorites, but it and Igglybuff are a lot better before they become Wigglytuff. The only reason I don’t hate Wigglytuff is because of PMD.

Also, Buneary is really adorable, I even had one on my team temporarily when I played through Sinnoh. But the internet has ruined its evolution for me. The same can kind of be said about Ralts and Kirlia. All of the Elemental Monkeys are also pretty good until they evolve. I never played through any of the Unova games, but still.

SECONDED.

Chespin is my favourite starter ever, and has been since it got leaked in CoroCoro and I was more than annoyed when Quilladin got leaked. Luckily I like Chesnaught but Quilladin is such a letdown.

Chespin's grown on me over time, but yeah, Quilladin is such an awkward middle form.

I'm still not over the heartbreak over Grookey's evolutionary line tbh. I was firmly in the Grookey Gang back then, and there were so many cute and amazing fan evolutions/fake leaks. I thought that for sure the marching band drummer concept was gonna be it and then.

Then we got Rillaboom.

After that I chose Sobble.

I'm still mad that they made a monkey a starter Pokemon. I despise monkeys.

I have this with most newer starters. Absolutely despise all the Galar and Paldea final starter evos, Skeledirge is especially painful because I love Fuecoco so much. But honestly there are so many Pokémon that start out adorable and amazing and then for whatever reason their evolution just completely loses the plot. What did they do to Lechonk? Who was that for? Just.. bleh.

Other notable mentions:

-Clobbopus! He’s so cute and unique and I just do not like Grapploct at all.

-YAMPER. Precious corgi turns into not only the most uninspired dog Pokémon ever created, but one of the most uninspired Pokémon ever created in general. (no offense to anyone who likes Boltund…if any of of u exist. Lol)

-Darumaka. I don’t dislike Darmanitan but Darumaka is so superior it’s not even funny

-Flittle. It looks like a cool Tamagotchi and then suddenly it’s an ostrich with an Edna Mode haircut. : (

Hi, it's me, a Boltund fan. Which Darmanitan are you talking about, though? Unova or Galar form?

I'm not a big Pokemon player, but I don't care for the duck Pokemon from Scarlet/Violet's evolution. It's probably the dancing and their butt sticking out. I usually don't evolve my Pokemon anyway.

Quaquaval. I get what they're going for, but the toes are viscerally upsetting to me.

Not exactly from Pokemon, but a fan game known as Pokemon Clover. There's this (What they call) Clovermon known as Lasslee which I find extremely adorable, I do however, despise it's evolution Wifemin by a long shot. I'm quite happy it's still a viable Clovermon to keep around in it's unevolved stage knowing it's stats are above average to keep around late game as long as it has an eviolite held and it knows Calm Mind.

Okay, to be fair though, it's a 4chan fan game.

Don’t hate that many myself but I have a friend who loves grookey but hates rillaboom with a burning passion

I hate Grookey, but I love people who hate Rillaboom.

SAME. Why was Litten red instead of orange? Why were the evolutions so……eerily human? I really really thought they were going to be fake. Rowlet isn’t nearly as bad but I still don’t think it’s a very strong starter.

I also hate Salazzle. WHEN will Pokémon designers knock it off with the sexist Pokemon designs? Salandit is one of my favorite Gen 7 Pokemon, but why would female ones grow up to have….seductive hips? Human female secondary sex characteristics? It’s exhausting.

I read somewhere that starting in Gen 6, the starters kinda got designed with a "job" in mind. So you got:
  • Chesnaught: Juggernaut/Super-bulky knight.
  • Delphox: Witch.
  • Greninja: Ninja.
  • Decidueye: Archer.
  • Incineroar: Heel wrestler.
  • Primarina: Singer.
  • Rillaboom: Drummer.
  • Cinderace: Soccer player.
  • Inteleon: Spy.
  • Meowscarada: Magician
  • Skeledirge: Singer again
  • Quaquaval: Dancer
So like, they're all over-designed into these jobs/niches, and the problem with that is that they do end up ;looking way too human.

The thing that annoys me about Delphox is I feel like it’s so close to being a really good design. Like if it had a hat or it’s stick became a broom or something, but they just stopped before it got there

It really is! It's like they

Anyways to answer the overall question, I like Froakie. I like Frogadier. Greninja's enormous tongue disturbs me.

Baxcalibur is the most disappointing pseudo-legendary we've had. What an absolute bore.

I also hate Alolan Dugtrio and Alolan Raichu. I get what they're going for, but they do not appeal to me at all. I hate Greedent, it's uncomfortable to me. Armarouge and Ceruledge are too humanoid too me and too Megaman-esque for me to like.

Top (Bottom?) Three least favorite evos for me are:
Dragonite - even the shiny is disappointing
Blastoise - Wartortle is so cute and Blastoise is just... not.
Quaquaval - He's literally the reason I didn't choose a water starter for the first time ever.

My two least favorites are Lickilicky (or Ickyicky as I like to call it) and Quilladin. Quilladin’s blank stare freaks me out and reminds me of a serial killer right before they stab you to death.

I’ve been playing Pokémon go and it makes you pay more attention to the 3D models and some of them look SO bad. Grotle is a little freak in 3D

Back