• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Least favorite Pokemon Evolution

CylieDanny

🔥The Spicy Prince🔥
Bells
Island
Fuggire
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Ya know. When you've got a cute little mon who wants to evolve and you don't like the result. Or decide their stuck as they are. Because you really dislike the evolutions

I know I've has my share of Pokémon I've kept first form cause I don't want them to evolve. So how about you

Last edited:
Well...this is difficult because most mons I hate I tend to hate their entire evolutionary lines such as Happiny, Vullaby and Gothita. If I did have to pick one though it would have to be Bunnelby into Diggersby. The initial shock of Diggersby being that ugly and literally unusable (didn't know of its HA at the time) made me instantly repulsed by it. It was only when I found out its HA was Huge Power that I began to try to get more used to it. Long story short: I didn't. I still hate its design despite going through 3 more gens of mons.

I highly prefer Ivysaur over Venusaur, and Wartortle over Blastoise. Clearly I prefer middle evolutions given my username. Croconaw is my favorite Pokémon. It’s not me hating their final evolutions, but I just prefer their middle evolutions. I actually had a team on Brilliant Diamond consisting of Croconaw, Wartortle, and Marshstomp. Those are my three favorite middle evolutions for the starters. I also prefer Ledyba over Ledian. I kept my Ledyba from evolving on Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. It’s no big deal to me as I do not play competitively. Therefore, I do not care much for stats or natures. The only Pokémon I try to get with decent stats is Croconaw. Otherwise, I’m all good with lackluster stats.

Well...this is difficult because most mons I hate I tend to hate their entire evolutionary lines such as Happiny, Vullaby and Gothita. If I did have to pick one though it would have to be Bunnelby into Diggersby. The initial shock of Diggersby being that ugly and literally unusable (didn't know of its HA at the time) made me instantly repulsed by it. It was only when I found out its HA was Huge Power that I began to try to get more used to it. Long story short: I didn't. I still hate its design despite going through 3 more gens of mons.
I forgot about that one, but yeah I'm with you. Your reaction was pretty much mine when I first saw Diggersby

Last edited:
I have a bunch of them.

I think Porygon is up there.

OG Porygon is my perfect boy. Porygon 2 is pretty charming for what it is...they literally just rounded out the edges and turned him into a drinky bird. (I can get behind that). - Porygon Z is an abomination to all things good and proper.

I love Cyndaquil and like Quilava, but I think Typhlosion kind of sucks. But it’s not really an evolution that I hate.

Two that I do hate, though, are all of Chespin’s evolutions. Chespin’s pretty cute on his own. I didn’t pick him when I played through Kalos, but still. But Quilladin is a complete abomination, and Chesnaught is only a little better. That’s why I decided not to pick him as a starter. Jigglypuff isn’t one of my favorites, but it and Igglybuff are a lot better before they become Wigglytuff. The only reason I don’t hate Wigglytuff is because of PMD.

Also, Buneary is really adorable, I even had one on my team temporarily when I played through Sinnoh. But the internet has ruined its evolution for me. The same can kind of be said about Ralts and Kirlia. All of the Elemental Monkeys are also pretty good until they evolve. I never played through any of the Unova games, but still.

I love Cyndaquil and like Quilava, but I think Typhlosion kind of sucks. But it’s not really an evolution that I hate.

Two that I do hate, though, are all of Chespin’s evolutions. Chespin’s pretty cute on his own. I didn’t pick him when I played through Kalos, but still. But Quilladin is a complete abomination, and Chesnaught is only a little better. That’s why I decided not to pick him as a starter. Jigglypuff isn’t one of my favorites, but it and Igglybuff are a lot better before they become Wigglytuff. The only reason I don’t hate Wigglytuff is because of PMD.

Also, Buneary is really adorable, I even had one on my team temporarily when I played through Sinnoh. But the internet has ruined its evolution for me. The same can kind of be said about Ralts and Kirlia. All of the Elemental Monkeys are also pretty good until they evolve. I never played through any of the Unova games, but still.
SECONDED.

Chespin is my favourite starter ever, and has been since it got leaked in CoroCoro and I was more than annoyed when Quilladin got leaked. Luckily I like Chesnaught but Quilladin is such a letdown.

I'm still not over the heartbreak over Grookey's evolutionary line tbh. I was firmly in the Grookey Gang back then, and there were so many cute and amazing fan evolutions/fake leaks. I thought that for sure the marching band drummer concept was gonna be it and then.

Then we got Rillaboom.

After that I chose Sobble.

Worst starter heartbreak for me was Gen 7. I still can't get over Primarina and Incineroar. When the evolutions were leaked before release I thought to myself that they must have been fake. I was dead wrong and was firmly on Team Rowlet...and still am.

Last edited:
Meowscarada quickly comes to mind, it's so repulsive and annoying ugh.... I'll happily keep Floragato as is by letting it hold an Everstone. And while I do love Greedent and think it's great, Skwovet is just so much cuter and so I could never have the heart to evolve it. But what the hell were they thinking with Dudunsparce omg... Someone's cruel, dumb idea of a joke.

I was pretty let down by Pawmi's evolutions, too. And so I would keep Pawmi just the way it is. Other Pokémon I would keep in their first stage because I find them more appealing include:
  • Rattata
  • Lickitung
  • Yungoos
  • Pumpkaboo
  • Karrablast
And Pokémon I would keep in their middle stage include:
  • Floragato
  • Rhydon
  • Vigoroth
And just for fun, here are my favorite Pokémon I'm glad do not evolve at all:
  • Dedenne
  • Lapras
  • Miltank
  • Seviper
  • Heracross
  • Tropius
  • Pyukumuku

I have this with most newer starters. Absolutely despise all the Galar and Paldea final starter evos, Skeledirge is especially painful because I love Fuecoco so much. But honestly there are so many Pokémon that start out adorable and amazing and then for whatever reason their evolution just completely loses the plot. What did they do to Lechonk? Who was that for? Just.. bleh.

Other notable mentions:

-Clobbopus! He’s so cute and unique and I just do not like Grapploct at all.

-YAMPER. Precious corgi turns into not only the most uninspired dog Pokémon ever created, but one of the most uninspired Pokémon ever created in general. (no offense to anyone who likes Boltund…if any of of u exist. Lol)

-Darumaka. I don’t dislike Darmanitan but Darumaka is so superior it’s not even funny

-Flittle. It looks like a cool Tamagotchi and then suddenly it’s an ostrich with an Edna Mode haircut. : (

When it comes to starters, I've always struggled with my feelings for Empoleon. Water/steel is such an interesting type, I love penguins, and Piplup may be my favorite first-stage starter, so I really want to like Empoleon, but at the end of the day I just don't like it at all. Something about its head and face just doesn't look right to me.

In general, I hate Rhyperior (sorry, Rhyperior fans). I have always had a soft spot for both Rhyhorn and Rhydon; I feel they both have this classic, old-school Sugimori-style generic monster look that that I just personally find appealing and that you don't really see anymore in modern Pokemon. And then... the final form is an overly bulky, doofy looking construction worker... thing. I feel bad whenever I have to evolve an innocent Rhydon into one of these for the sake of pokedex completion.

Finally, I have to comment on Dudunsparce. When I first heard leaks that Dunsparce was getting an evolution, I was so excited. Will it be a beautiful Milotic-style quetzalcoatl? Or maybe something really cute in line with Clodsire? Nope... let's just staple an extra segment on a regular Dunsparce and call it a day. It doesn't really give me joy thinking that I might be insulting somebody's favorite Pokemon, but to me, it really feels like Gamefreak was deliberately trolling with this one.

Last edited:
Pignite and Emboar were big disappointments to me, especially since I really like tepig and it's one of my favorite starters by itself. I'm generally not a big fan of other Pokemon that have proportions like Emboar either, like Rhyperior, Magmortar, Electevire, and Seismitoad.

I also don't like a lot of the designs of some of the mega evolutions like Pincir, Heracross, Aggron, Garchomp, Swampert, Abomasnow, Slowbro, Manectric, Glalie, and Lopunny. I feel like the megas were really hit or miss.

More favorites that I liked better before they evolved:
Braixen > Delphox
Phanpy > Donphan
Snorunt > Glalie
Sealeo > Walrein
Gulpin > Swalot

in terms of starters, i don't care for rillaboom or inteleon. i also only like meowscarada from the scar/vio final starters. skeleridge is meh, but i really don't like quaquavel. i'll echo someone else saying dundunsparce, like i guess it was supposed to be a joke? but it just screams disappointment instead. the rest of whismur's line has always made me ??? how do we go from a cute little bunny to... those. i never really liked obstagoon either, but maybe that's because i don't love the whole galarian version of that line. (whereas i'm fond of original zigzagoon/linoone. one of my first ever pokemon.) perrserker i also hate, and alolan persian tbh.

I'm not a big Pokemon player, but I don't care for the duck Pokemon from Scarlet/Violet's evolution. It's probably the dancing and their butt sticking out. I usually don't evolve my Pokemon anyway.

Not exactly from Pokemon, but a fan game known as Pokemon Clover. There's this (What they call) Clovermon known as Lasslee which I find extremely adorable, I do however, despise it's evolution Wifemin by a long shot. I'm quite happy it's still a viable Clovermon to keep around in it's unevolved stage knowing it's stats are above average to keep around late game as long as it has an eviolite held and it knows Calm Mind.

Don’t hate that many myself but I have a friend who loves grookey but hates rillaboom with a burning passion

so, i've loved dunsparce ever since i saw it in gen 2.
so for it's evolution to just be the same thing but with 1 or 2 more segments??? it makes me SO MAD LOL.....

Back