• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Does anybody else have autism/aspergers?

i'm currently going through the process of being diagnosed with something on the autism spectrum. i don't actually have the diagnosis yet but i don't see how i wouldn't get it since i (at least according to myself) am very much autistic lmao..... i started suspecting that i was on the spectrum in 2011 but never actually spoke to anyone about it until just a few months ago when my therapist brought it up

When I was a toddler, adults thought I was. But I got tested and it was just social awkward. My family has a long history with it though.

i'm currently going through the process of being diagnosed with something on the autism spectrum. i don't actually have the diagnosis yet but i don't see how i wouldn't get it since i (at least according to myself) am very much autistic lmao..... i started suspecting that i was on the spectrum in 2011 but never actually spoke to anyone about it until just a few months ago when my therapist brought it up
A lot of people think they're autistic or on the autism spectrum, but are not. I'm not saying you don't have it, I'm just saying to wait for the results to draw a conclusion for you.

I was diagnosed with autism nearly 10 years ago. I hadn't done anything with it until two years ago, when it was clear to me how much trouble I actually had because of it (as well as other things like depression and minor schizophrenia). During the treatment I learned how much more it affected me than I thought, with my good hearing and eyesight possibly being a result of my autism, as well as a bunch of physical and mental deficiencies.

Through this I also got to meet a few other autistic people, some of whom were nearing 50, and it made me feel a bit better knowing I wasn't the only facing these problems. It's still a lifelong thing though, that's not something I'm looking forward to.

A lot of people think they're autistic or on the autism spectrum, but are not. I'm not saying you don't have it, I'm just saying to wait for the results to draw a conclusion for you.

yeah well
i still consider myself autistic and i have done so for around 2 yrs w/o a professional diagnosis so i mean ok but i don't rly?? care??

yeah well
i still consider myself autistic and i have done so for around 2 yrs w/o a professional diagnosis so i mean ok but i don't rly?? care??
Will you still consider yourself autistic if the test results say that you are without a doubt not?

I don't, but my little brother does. A few years ago, my mom did think I might have asbergers

Will you still consider yourself autistic if the test results say that you are without a doubt not?

ok so you don't know my situation just pls stop
obviously i wouldnt consider myself autistic if i didn't show any signs of it, it's not a "cool label" i've chosen to take on because i Really Want To Be Autistic.
like, there are some really, really good reason to why i'm getting tested and people i have met while doing the different stuff have basically said that it is weird that no one has noticed this earlier. i can't know 100% that i'm autistic obviously but i do show a **** ton of symptons and i fit all the critera for a diagnosis. if i didn't i wouldn't call myself autistic.
i rly don't like the way you're implying that somebody's autism isn't valid unless it has been confirmed by a professional? a professional diagnosis isn't what makes someone autistic lmao

If they have been thinking that they're on the spectrum for literally years and their therapist even brought it up then I would assume that there was, I dunno, maybe a reason or several that they thought that they were on the spectrum? So it's very unlikely that they will be "without a doubt" not on the spectrum. People normally don't just assume they have something that can be debilitating for funsies.
If you're experiencing symptoms of something for years then of course there's a chance you have that thing. If it turns out you don't have THAT specific thing then it's still important that you identified the symptoms so you can figure out what IS causing them. Self diagnosis & self awareness is always the first step to actual "professional" diagnosis.

Last edited:
obviously i wouldnt consider myself autistic if i didn't show any signs of it, it's not a "cool label" i've chosen to take on because i Really Want To Be Autistic.
like, there are some really, really good reason to why i'm getting tested and people i have met while doing the different stuff have basically said that it is weird that no one has noticed this earlier. i can't know 100% that i'm autistic obviously but i do show a **** ton of symptons and i fit all the critera for a diagnosis. if i didn't i wouldn't call myself autistic.
i rly don't like the way you're implying that somebody's autism isn't valid unless it has been confirmed by a professional? a professional diagnosis isn't what makes someone autistic lmao
Seems like you misunderstood a lot of what I said. I never said you do or do not have it, as shown in the exact thing you quoted before. I also didn't say you do or don't show any signs of it. You also didn't say anything about your personal situation, and I'm not one to make assumptions on such a subject, so I was only working with what I had.

The only thing I said is that a lot of people self-diagnose and are completely wrong. Autism is an affliction with hugely varying criteria, so much so that it's easy for people to say they have it without going through any formal diagnosis, simply because they match up with certain things. My girlfriend could look up a list of criteria right now and see that a lot of them match to things she has, even though both she and I know she doesn't have it.

That's also why I asked the question. There are people that go in to get tested for autism after it's suspected they have it, and they get a negative result. If the results come back negative for you, will you surrender yourself to that or keep wearing your self-diagnosed label of autism? It's not a question by which I mean to paint you as a bad person - actually it's rather the opposite, because I'd praise you for surrendering to a negative result.
I'll freely admit I hate it when people diagnose themselves with mental issues, because it just comes across as attention whoring, but it's especially bad with autism now that I've seen how varied it is. It's not something I think someone should diagnose unless they've been educated to do so.

People normally don't just assume they have something that can be debilitating for funsies.
Go to tumblr and look up all the special snowflakes with their billions of self-diagnosed mental problems. People actually do do it "for funsies".
To the rest of your post, as above.

I was just formally diagnosed this year. I had friends constantly bringing up my autistic tendencies, but I chose to ignore it for the longest time. Teachers always thought there was something off about me because I was smart, but struggled tremendously and kept to myself. If I wasn't a female in the mid 90s as a child, I definitely would have been diagnosed earlier. My mom was always at the pediatrician because of my self soothing behaviors, sensitivity to clothing and noise, and anti-social behavior, but none of them would look into it further. I didn't seek help until I had problems with employment in adulthood. I couldn't pass interviews and I'd have meltdowns every day if I managed to actually get employed. So really, the sooner you seek a diagnosis, the better. You're doing the right thing. Don't let anybody tell you it's not a valid suspicion.

No but I feel like a do. I felt like the most antisocial and awkward kid in my school and today I still have social anxiety.

Last edited:
Go to tumblr and look up all the special snowflakes with their billions of self-diagnosed mental problems. People actually do do it "for funsies".
To the rest of your post, as above.

Lmao I've seen the self-diagnosing community on tumblr. And you know what? I guarantee that they don't do it for "funsies" definitely not the majority.
What do they have to gain from assuming a mental illness on a blogging website??? Attention? Yes, sure, for something perceived by many as negative. And considering they're on a platform that is very hard to get widely noticed on they won't get the desired result if it truly is ONLY for attention.

Believe it or not but some people aren't in positions where they can get professional diagnosis, which can add to why their mental illness can be in such a bad state in the first place. Self diagnosis is ESSENTIAL in recovery, at any level at all.
When you think you have a physical illness, you go to the doctor, you tell them what you think it is based on your symptoms and you get treatment according to what you told them and what they've observed. You self diagnosed and made the conclusion that you needed to get treatment based on what you knew.
This is literally no different with mental illness. You have to understand your symptoms YOURSELF before you can get your "Official" diagnosis.
Literally why is it so terrible that people (who are clearly going through a struggle regardless of what they have or do not have) are wanting to find a community where they feel validated and safe?

The only thing I said is that a lot of people self-diagnose and are completely wrong
Lmao I didn't realize you personally consulted every person who has self-diagnosed themselves with something and managed to officially declare that they were 100% wrong.

Anyway, I'm done here. This has gone off on a tangent that it never should have in the first place. Its clear neither of us are going to change our stances. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
When you think you have a physical illness, you go to the doctor, you tell them what you think it is based on your symptoms and you get treatment according to what you told them and what they've observed. You self diagnosed and made the conclusion that you needed to get treatment based on what you knew.
This is literally no different with mental illness. You have to understand your symptoms YOURSELF before you can get your "Official" diagnosis.
You're talking about symptoms. Symptoms can direct you to a certain conclusion, but (especially with mental health) it's much more complicated than just going "I have these symptoms so I have this". I addressed this in my post as well, the fact that autism has such a wide variety of criteria that it's hard to determine by yourself whether or not you have it.

I obviously also had a bunch of symptoms that were noticeable to me and others. Some of those did belong to autism, others belonged to schizophrenia/PTSD/depression, and yet others were just my personality. However I never claimed I had some kind of mental illness based only on my symptoms.

I'm not questioning whether or not people have certain symptoms, but I am questioning the conclusion they draw based on them. To use a really simple comparison, it's like getting an ache in your stomach and immediately concluding you have intestinal cancer. There's other possible explanations.

They answered this.
Could you give the quote where they said "yes" or "no" to the question? Because I don't see this answer.

Could you give the quote where they said "yes" or "no" to the question? Because I don't see this answer.

I had misread something they said as a direct answer. I apologize. However, I am done with this conversation.

Back