• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Does anybody else have autism/aspergers?

You guys overreacted a bit, Reindeer never said that len is not autistic, all he said is that self diagnosing autism is hard due to its variety.

Yes, let us try to keep arguing over misunderstandings to a minimum, please.

mods please come end this threads misery

I seriously hate how I can't look for like minded people without people getting offended. I hate how "autism" is some sort of bad word. This depresses me so much. I'll close the thread myself.

I was seriously interested in this thread. I was diagnosed with Aspergers 2 years ago. It made me realize why there are certain things I have issues with.

I seriously hate how I can't look for like minded people without people getting offended. I hate how "autism" is some sort of bad word. This depresses me so much. I'll close the thread myself.
Don't see any reason to close it. People are just asking for it to be closed because there was minor drama, even though it was kept (relatively) civilized and this forum has seen much worse. Mods have been around and the thread is still open. I'm interested in seeing more people answer as well.

yeah well
i still consider myself autistic and i have done so for around 2 yrs w/o a professional diagnosis so i mean ok but i don't rly?? care??

so you're aware that you believe you have autism for the past 2 years without a professional diagnosis yet?
and you don't care??

i smell a lolcow

Last edited:
Hey all. I don't have any problem leaving this thread open so long as any debates taking place are civil and people are respecting one another, which is happening as far as I can tell.

Also, posts that say nothing more than "mods need to close this thread" or the like aren't necessary and don't have any place here. If you think something should be looked into or closed, report the thread instead of posting about it.

Thanks. :blush:

That's the new age Internet for ya, some people get offended really easily. I don't like it either.

Appearently I was diagnosed with ADD like 10 or 11 years ago but I don't think it's as simple as that. I probably can't be checked by a professional though because my parents get annoyed by that stuff. :/

Last edited:
so you're aware that you believe you have autism for the past 2 years without a professional diagnosis yet?
and you don't care??

i dont care about their opinion??? or like wait what do you mean

someone isn't allistic until they get an autism diagnosis. i know that i cannot 100% say that i'm autistic, but honestly i'm like, pretty damn sure (which obviously doesn't 100% mean that i am autistic but at the same time ppl get misdiagnosed so i mean that's not 100% certain either?? hell why does ANYONE have the right to call themself autistic if they can't be sure about it?? and people who suspect that they're autistic should just wait for an official diagnosis which might take YEARS or never come because they aren't able to seek one. so until then they shouldn't get to get help for problems they experience due to their autism, call themselves autistic or seek support in autism communities?)
and honestly some random people on the internet that have never spoken to me before can't tell me if i'm a Valid Autistic Person™

are you all seriously feeling like you need to gatekeep the autism label so hard?? like, in my opinion, it is so much worse to walk around for years not knowing what is "wrong" or different with you than to suspect that you have autism and then it turns out that you do not.

lmao anyways i will be getting the result in about 2 weeks i think i can update u all then :')

i dont care about their opinion??? or like wait what do you mean

someone isn't allistic until they get an autism diagnosis. i know that i cannot 100% say that i'm autistic, but honestly i'm like, pretty damn sure (which obviously doesn't 100% mean that i am autistic but at the same time ppl get misdiagnosed so i mean that's not 100% certain either?? hell why does ANYONE have the right to call themself autistic if they can't be sure about it?? and people who suspect that they're autistic should just wait for an official diagnosis which might take YEARS or never come because they aren't able to seek one. so until then they shouldn't get to get help for problems they experience due to their autism, call themselves autistic or seek support in autism communities?)
and honestly some random people on the internet that have never spoken to me before can't tell me if i'm a Valid Autistic Person™

are you all seriously feeling like you need to gatekeep the autism label so hard?? like, in my opinion, it is so much worse to walk around for years not knowing what is "wrong" or different with you than to suspect that you have autism and then it turns out that you do not.

lmao anyways i will be getting the result in about 2 weeks i think i can update u all then :')

You have a unquie typing quirk so I sorta assumed.
I'm not gatekeeping autism??? Not sure where you got that assumption from? Because I was talking about self-diagnosis? Yeah sure you can assume that "hey I may have sucha such" and then go to the doctors to confirm if I have "sucha such". Yeah misdiagnosis happen but I rather have someone who study this sht for years to know what's going on in my head then me sitting on my ass for two years and haven't gotten check up since. It's like me stating I got bipolar disorder because I have mood swings here and there when in all reality, it was just me being a pissy teen and thinking "mental disorders" were cool. I honestly don't personally care if you have autism or what made you believe you have autism because of your "experiences". I was more concerned that you were waiting for 2 years and even came to a conclusion that you honestly don't "care" what the doctors will say. It makes everything what you said sound so "???????????", but that's probably your autism.

You have a unquie typing quirk so I sorta assumed.
I'm not gatekeeping autism??? Not sure where you got that assumption from? Because I was talking about self-diagnosis? Yeah sure you can assume that "hey I may have sucha such" and then go to the doctors to confirm if I have "sucha such". Yeah misdiagnosis happen but I rather have someone who study this sht for years to know what's going on in my head then me sitting on my ass for two years and haven't gotten check up since. It's like me stating I got bipolar disorder because I have mood swings here and there when in all reality, it was just me being a pissy teen and thinking "mental disorders" were cool. I honestly don't personally care if you have autism or what made you believe you have autism because of your "experiences". I was more concerned that you were waiting for 2 years and even came to a conclusion that you honestly don't "care" what the doctors will say. It makes everything what you said sound so "???????????", but that's probably your autism.

i didn't say that i didn't care about what the doctors will say, i meant that i didnt care what that person in the thread said? like how they questioned me and stuff i dunno im confused now

i obviously will care about the doctors lmao. if they say that they don't understand how i ever have suspected that i was autistic because i am So Obviously Autistic i will have to accept that (if they have "proof" or w/e, like if they have a reason to say that) but they won't rly say that because that's not how things are for me ????

i assume that last part wasn't serious?

im rly confused by this discussion now smh

I have Asperger's Syndrome, a type of high functioning autism. It has gifted me with high intelligence, an exceptional imagination and a very detailed memory. It has cursed me with having the social skills of a wet dishcloth and an inability to truly understand my emotions.

i didn't say that i didn't care about what the doctors will say, i meant that i didnt care what that person in the thread said? like how they questioned me and stuff i dunno im confused now

i obviously will care about the doctors lmao. if they say that they don't understand how i ever have suspected that i was autistic because i am So Obviously Autistic i will have to accept that (if they have "proof" or w/e, like if they have a reason to say that) but they won't rly say that because that's not how things are for me ????

your wording is just so confusing
just don't reply shh

He didn't really question you though? All Reindeer said was that it's hard to self diagnose autism and you should wait till you get it officially diagnosed to be sure, he also was asking a legit question about how you'd react if you turned to not be autistic, he wasn't being rude I assure you.. I personally know the guy.

And Reindeer himself has also been very unsure about his autism in the past, which is one of the reasons he's only starting to work on it in his mid 20's. He can relate.

"A lot of people think they're autistic or on the autism spectrum, but are not. I'm not saying you don't have it, I'm just saying to wait for the results to draw a conclusion for you." Also I don't really understand how you take this as an opinion tbh.

He didn't really question you though? All Reindeer said was that it's hard to self diagnose autism and you should wait till you get it officially diagnosed to be sure, he also was asking a legit question about how you'd react if you turned to not be autistic, he wasn't being rude I assure you.. I personally know the guy.

And Reindeer himself has also been very unsure about his autism in the past, which is one of the reasons he's only starting to work on it in his mid 20's. He can relate.

"A lot of people think they're autistic or on the autism spectrum, but are not. I'm not saying you don't have it, I'm just saying to wait for the results to draw a conclusion for you." Also I don't really understand how you take this as an opinion tbh.

alright.
im sorry for being aggressive/rude. but to me, saying that i should wait for the results to draw a conclusion for me is questioning me? like, i get that i cant KNOW until i have a diagnosis but i have dealt with this for years and if i had not self diagnosed i would be in a much worse place mental health wise because i wouldn't have realized what i needed to do to like have an easier time dealing with the problems i have?

like, i didn't self diagnose to be Cool and Edgy, but because it was kind of important to me?? if you get what i mean??

im sorry for being aggressive/rude. but to me, saying that i should wait for the results to draw a conclusion for me is questioning me?
A year ago I was hard at work with my therapist who's specialized in autism. A lot of examples were used to explain things, not only by her but also by me, and she noticed that I'd often mention my mother having certain problems that I have as well. This piqued her interest and she mentioned that my mother might have a form of autism/ASD. I'd joked about it a few times before with my mom, but this time I seriously mentioned to her that my therapist had said this.
At the time I told her, my mom was seeing a therapist stress-related complaints. She mentioned all of this to her own therapist, who actually agreed that it was possible, and she was told to get examined. Notice how there's now two therapists saying she might have autism.
So she did get tested. And the results were negative. My mom isn't autistic.

The point of this story, and the point I've been trying to make the entire time, is that no matter how powerful the signs may be, that because autism is such a hard diagnosis, it's a diagnosis that should be left up to professionals. If you have it, fine. If you don't have it, also fine (even better because autism sucks).

A lot of people might think they have autism because they display some symptoms, but the symptoms might be related to something entirely different, like they were with my mother. To use Catparent's comparison to physical health once again, a lot of people also display symptoms of a gluten intolerance/sensitivity, and because of that they believe they have it, but they don't (86% of people in the US alone).
The mind is a powerful thing, and you can make yourself believe for 100% you have certain ailments. That's why I'm telling you to wait for a professional diagnosis, because you literally can't be sure otherwise. The only thing you can be sure of up to the point of an actual professional diagnosis is that you have specific symptoms.

Edit: Also, to add: I never claimed or implied that you self-diagnosed for attention (or because it would make you "cool and edgy"), nor did I claim or imply that you don't have the problems. I'm merely saying that you should realize there's a real possibility your problems are not caused by autism/ASD.

Last edited:
Back